Start by marking “Deathbed & Breakfast (Pookotz Sisters Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deathbed & Breakfast (Pookotz Sisters Mysteries, #1)

Deathbed & Breakfast

(Pookotz Sisters Mysteries #1)

Richard Forester, a retired CEO for a major software company, and his granddaughter Penny show up at the Pookotz Bed & Breakfast one evening and find themselves in some rather unpleasant company. All the guests somehow seem to be connected to Richard’s past and when he is found dead the next morning, everyone is suspect. However, there are a few wrinkles that the inn’s ...more
Published July 2013 by Cozy Cat Press

To ask other readers questions about Deathbed & Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deathbed & Breakfast

Annie
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Deathbed & Breakfast (Pookotz Sisters Bed & Breakfast Mysteries)
By Bart J. Gilbertson

This parlor tale of murder, greed and revenge will send you along a well-constructed path of clues with enough twists and turns to make you second guess “who dunnit.” I enjoyed this solid plot with several trails of suspicion and a clever take on letting us ‘see’ the murder happen – or did it? We follow Penny and her Grandfather to a lovely little town, so friendly and pleasant, right into a pretty Bed a
Barbara Jean Coast

Hey there Guys and Dolls,

Welcome to Pleasant Lake, Oregon where hospitality is the first order of business. When thinking about the friendliness of the town, the first two ladies that come to mind are the Pookotz Sisters, Edna and Mildred who run their family bed and breakfast by the lake. If you stop by for the night you are sure to get a fine home cooked meal served up by Felix the head cook, waiter, and a funny, hard of hearing old coot to boot. There are old fashioned board games in the par
Pamela Rose
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Deathbed & Breakfast is the kind of mystery cozy that makes you want to climb into the pages with your coffee cup. The setting for this book is a Bed & Breakfast that is delightful to contemplate...oh, that a place like this really existed! But, alas, gathered here now is a murderous bunch of plotters who would do just about anything to separate the victim from his considerable money. Cover stories and lies abound as first one suspect, then another comes to the fore. The B & B's en ...more
Bart Gilbertson
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
There are plenty of twists and turns in this first 'whodunit' of the Pookotz Sisters Mystery Series which introduces you to the quaint mountain Oregon town of Pleasant Lake and its inhabitants.

Readers of the cozy mystery genre will fall in love with Edna and Mildred Pookotz, sisters and amateur sleuths, as they juggle the responsibilities of running a Bed & Breakfast and solving most bizarre mysteries!
Kate Eileen Shannon
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment in the Pookotz Sisters Mystery Series and look forward to many more. Pleasant Lake brought back memories of Cabot Cove and in the Pookotz Sisters we have a double dose of Jessica Fletcher.
LORI CASWELL
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Retired CEO, Richard Forester and his granddaughter are just passing through town and need a place to stay for the night. A stop at a local store leads them to the Pookotz Sisters B & B. Everyone can see that Richard is very ill as he barely stays awake and is in obvious pain through the evening meal.

This story had a bit of a Twilight Zone feel as this seemingly random stop takes them to a place where all the guests at are all connected to Richard or his former company. A company where he wa
Ronna
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mildred and Edna Pookotz are two elderly sisters who run a Bed and Breakfast in Pleasant Valley, but don't mistake them for sweet old things. Mildred can be very comforting and understanding, but Edna knows the "right way" that things should be done, and it better be done that way---including using your proper name, with no nicknames allowed. Their B&B is a lovely place though, with rooms color coordinated, and charm galore.

When sickly Richard, and his granddaughter, Penny, came into town,
Ellen
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-cozy

Deathbed & Breakfast (Pookotz Sisters Bed & Breakfast Mysteries)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exceptional Cozy, December 3, 2013

This review is from: Deathbed & Breakfast (Pookotz Sisters Bed & Breakfast Mysteries) (Kindle Edition)
"Deathbed and Breakfast" was, in my opinion, better than your average cozy.

The story started out with Richard Forester and his grand-daughter Penny on a journey. Their journey led them to the quaint town of Pleasant Lake. Grandpa dick was in dire straits hea
Ruth Hill
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads, mystery
When I think of an ideal mystery book, I expect for there to be minimal to no profanity, no intimate bedroom details, a clever mystery, and likable characters. I tend to think of the classics--Agatha Christie, Columbo, Perry Mason, Sherlock Holmes. Modern mysteries (even cozies) often miss the mark for me in some degree no matter how much I enjoy them. I can honestly say that Bart Gilbertson has come about as close to perfection as you can get in the writing of this magnificent book!

I honestly
Patricia Gligor
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Deathbed and Breakfast" by Bart J. Gilbertson is an intriguing mystery novel that will keep you in suspense, trying to figure out who the killer is and why he or she committed murder, until the very end of the book.
The Pookotz sisters, Edna and Mildred, own and operate a charming B&B in Pleasant Lake, Oregon, a picturesque small town where crime is relatively rare. But, when one of their guests is found dead, all of that changes and the sisters must face the fact that someone under their r
Julie
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This author had me hooked right away. I wanted to visit this bed and breakfast and this quaint little town and be part of the mystery. It was well written and it kept me reading. I would have liked the owners of the bed and breakfast to have more of a part in the investigation a little bit sooner because they are interesting characters. I like quirky characters and this book had them all. I look forward to more books in this series and I would recommend it to my friends.
Terry Parrish
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Loved the way the story was written. I would stay at the Inn any time. Not so sure about the cook, though he was hilarious! And, I did not see the ending in the way it turned out. Very surprising.
Christy
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A first rate read excellent plot, interesting characters well drawn, & a touch of whimsey in all the suspects going in & out of the corpses room. I had no idea till the end, I can usually tell by the fourth chapter who did it, who the murderer was.
Rhonda
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Deathbed & Breakfast reminds me of long ago stories that have plenty of suspects and motives and bumbling characters. You were never sure who the real killer was till the end. It kept your interest the whole way through. I like the different characters and think that most of them should be in jail for some reason or other.

I would love to see how another mystery would fair at the bed and breakfast. The setting sounds nice. We love all the trees in Oregon and to be on a pond sounds go
Kaye
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Richard Forester and his Granddaughter Penny stop at the Pookotz Sisters Bed and Breakfast in Pleasant Lake, Oregon, on their way to Portland. Richard is a retired CEO of a software company and has been accused of embezzling $750,000 prior to his retirement and he is terminally ill. All of the guests seem to have an interest in Richard, so when he is found dead in the morning, and his death is deemed murder, there are lots of suspects.

The Pookotz sisters are busy running the B&B and attempti
Christa Nardi
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is only by chance, and the recommendation of the sheriff, that Penny and Richard end up at the Pookotz Bed & Breakfast. They are on their way for a potential cure or to at least ease Richard's suffering. The Bed & Breakfast is booked and the various guests have their own stories from the newlyweds to the insurance salesman to the photographer to the father and son. A full house and all the guests have some investment in finding the money that Richard is accused of embezzling. When Ric ...more
Christa Nardi
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christy
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Deathbed and Breakfast. I thought it was well written, witty and had just enough humor to be entertaining. It really reminded me of the movie Clue, which I LOVE. If you enjoy that type of mystery/entertainment, then you'll really enjoy this book.

Though you could figure out fairly early on who the "bad guy" was, it was interesting seeing how the characters developed and how they solved the mystery. There were a few surprises at the end (what about the money?) and a few hints at
LLona Cunningham
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Following this plot was like putting together a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle. Glad I was able to set aside time to get all the way through it without distraction. Great mystery, believable individual characters, a little speed bump to cross when describing the location got in the way, and a little too much detail over-explaining how the sisters came to their conclusion, but overall a fun read and a really well done series beginner. I'll be looking for the next episode of the Pookotz Sisters Mysterie ...more
Tara Majuta
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
A very special cozy mystery and fantastic book! The descriptions in this book were seamlessly installed. I enjoyed the idea of a quiet bed and breakfast in scenic Oregon having all this madness and mayhem! Each character was individually crafted, and the author made sure no stone was left unturned. I believe this author has created a very promising start in his writing career! I look forward to his next installment in the Pookotz Sisters Mystery!
Mary  (Biblophile)
Cozy mystery with quite a few herrings. A teenager and her grandfather stop at a bed & breakfast due his poor health. There he encounters quite a few guests who have reason to hate him.

While I enjoyed this little mystery, the book could have used some editing in paragraphs and repetitiveness. That said, hopefully there are more of this series in the offing. The sisters who own the inn and their cook especially were quite entertaining.
Eileen
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love these little cozy mysteries they are a fast read and entertaining
Sandra
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It reminded me of Clue..Everyone had a motive.
Jeanine
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent cozy written with humor that had me giggling away like crazy. Nice twisty ending.
Andrea
*See Barbara Jean Coast's Review* of the Kindle edition!
C.G. Elmore
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very funny and a good cozy mystery!
Patricia Gulley
The the sisters and the B&B in Oregon are interesting, this book needed some editing. Too much small talk repeated and repeated, and redundancy of facts within paragraphs of themselves. Good mystery.
Andrea
Aug 28, 2013
Reviews Are Coming In! 1 4 Jul 22, 2013 08:17PM
Book Haven: New to Kindle, Deathbed & Breakfast 1 3 Jul 18, 2013 08:05PM
Book Haven: Author of Deathbed & Breakfast 1 4 Jul 18, 2013 07:56PM
Goodreads Authors...: "Deathbed & Breakfast" hits the shelves! 1 5 Jul 18, 2013 07:29PM
So, who am I? Well, I guess I'm just your average person pursuing his dream. I love a good fiction novel. A mystery, epic fantasy, adventure, or comedy...I love it all. With my own writing, I want to put a good quality story on the shelf...something that I would like to read. Something I think that you'd like to read.

Things I like (but am not restricted to): Positive, upbeat people. Smiles. A hot
“His hands wilted and the framed picture fell to the floor.” 1 likes