Start by marking “Writing in Overdrive: The Secrets to Writing Faster, Writing Freely, Writing Brilliantly” as Want to Read:

Jim Denney is a veteran of both traditional and indie publishing. He has more than 100 published books to his credit, including the Timebenders science-fantasy series for young readers. In WRITING IN OVERDRIVE, he shows you how to:

• Write so fast you'll have no time for self-doubt.
• Organize your time and workspace to be more productive.
• Set ambiti
Published June 22nd 2013 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Writing in Overdrive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing in Overdrive

Start your review of Writing in Overdrive: The Secrets to Writing Faster, Writing Freely, Writing Brilliantly
Noura Noman
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I didn't know what to expect from reading this book. I thought it was a kind of help book on steps towards writing. It turned out to be a book which smothers your doubts and gives you permission to achieve more than you thought you could. Half way through it, I was in the process of writing the last few climatic scenes of books 2 of my scifi novel. I shut myself in my bedroom from 7 pm to 2 am, and produced 4276 words.
Jenny Lloyd
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All writers
You know how it is to be swept along by a great story; you become immersed in the tale and involved with the characters to such a degree that you can't stop reading, while at the same time you don't want the story to end. I loved that book! you say, and go on thinking about it, long after you turn the last page.

That is the kind of book every writer should aspire to write. It is the kind of book that is written when a writer is WRITING IN OVERDRIVE.

If you are that rarest of beings, a writer who
Scott Moon
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
Writing in Overdrive: Write Faster, Write Freely, Write Brilliantly by Jim Denney is a well researched and motivational account of the creative process. Denney relates accounts of several renowned authors such as Ray Bradbury, Michael Moorcock, and Stephen King to name a few.

Included in the book are many examples of how writing quickly, getting in the zone, and trusting your Muse produce quality fiction. I was amazed at how Michael Moorcock wrote his early books. There is also a wond
Carolyn Mathews
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'd say this book is essential reading for any writer - whether suffering from writer's block or not. It had a pleasing effect on me: because it was written at great speed (in the space of a month) I was able to read it on my kindle at great speed. Illogical, captain, but true.
Jim Denney is a phenomenally fast writer so it's no surprise that he recommends sitting at one's desk churning out chapters, without stopping to crank up the google engine for research. In this way, the writer mainta
Jim Serger
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Write until it is done-- then go back over your work. The first draft is just that a draft, but technically it is done. The re-write is what takes it over the edge. The author, whom has written over 100 books explains how to write quickly, with confidence. His work is unbelievable for just like his other book I felt connected with his writing as if he were speaking to me. This is more than a how to book, this is a lighthouse guiding us home. He shares Ray Bradbury stories on swift writing, he sp ...more
Roxy Rosen
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just before Writing in Overdrive, I read another Denney book,I feel that although most of this information is stuff I knew before, mostly because I'd already read Lamott, King, Brande and others, something about the presentation, the conversational tone, gave me that key I needed to finally unlock that door and write with abandon.
Just before Writing in Overdrive, I read another Denney book,
Write Fearlessly!: Conquer Fear, Eliminate Self-Doubt, Write with Confidence, and honestly, I felt I got more out of it than this one, but they were great companion pieces and I devoured them both in a few days to prepare for my first Camp NaNoWriMo. I feel so much more confident about Camp than I did before these books, kike this is actually something I can accomplish, so that alone is worth the price!
Mary Holm
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am notoriously the slowest writer in the world, so I was looking forward to reading about any tips that would speed me along. This book is a breezy read with lots of practical, get-to-the-heart-of-the-matter tips for better writing. I didn't find it as helpful as I thought, but only because I've read and already love a lot of the writing books Jim quotes. The admonition to write quickly, before the critical part of your brain catches up with you, is one idea I did find helpful. I've already us ...more
Meryl
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-books
I'm a "write fast" proponent, so I was curious to see what Denney had to say. This book was a fascinating collection of reasons why you should write fast. I didn't agree with all of them, but I found the arguments in his book compelling and incredibly well researched.

Denney is slim on the "I think" and broad on the "look at this evidence". I liked that a lot. I also appreciate someone who can reference properly.

In fact it's the research aspect of this books that bumped it
Gyula
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I'm always satisfied when I have at least one "AHA!" moment reading a book. Well, I did have more than one in this case.
This book helped me to understand what is that nice feeling when the writing is flowing smoothly and the words seem to write themselves. Now I know tactics to enter into "the zone" and write better stories faster.
The book also gave advices which weren't new to me, but it doesn't make them less important. If you struggle with writing you should read it. If you don't,
Nikki
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-challenge
A swift kick in the pants...

...with a pat on the back after. An overall excellent book that doesn't just tell you to quit surfing the net or watching TV. He gives real insight into the concept of writing in the zone, as well as practical tips to get you there. Written in a very uplifting and positive tone, I find myself invigorated...ready to take my words to another level. Highly recommend if you are feeling lost or know you aren't living your full potential.
C.J. Darlington
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-how-to
Just what the doctor ordered! This book is a must-read for any writer, but especially for those who are finding the words stuck or find themselves uninspired. In its pages are practical ways to help you reach your fullest and become unhindered in your creativity. No fluff here. 100% inspiration and practical tips. Thanks, Jim Denney!
Katie
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A fantastic book for any writer--highly recommended, especially if you are involved in NaNoWriMo. Excellent content about writer's block, the writing "muse," organizing your writing life, and more. Very helpful and this is a book I'll surely return to again and again.
Izzy Thomas
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. I thought it could have been a little shorter, but the concepts and ideas included were perfect for me. Nothing evolutionary, but a great reminder of where I need to be when drafting and rewriting.
Kate
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
It really helped me start writing again. I love how he includes examples of famous writers that wrote in overdrive. If you need a book to kick you in the pants and get you writing, this is it!
Marsha
Sep 19, 2014
Beth Barry
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Writer's Business Plan (Business Books For Writers Book 1)
  • Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t: Why That Is And What You Can Do About It
  • The Rational Writer: Nuts and Bolts
“As Jane Austen once wrote in her diary, "I am not at all in a humor for writing; I must write on till I am." And Madeleine L'Engle observed, "Inspiration usually comes during work rather than before it.” 1 likes
“Books choose their authors; the act of creation is not entirely a rational and conscious one." ―Salman Rushdie” 0 likes