Start by marking “Dead Pig Collector” as Want to Read:
Dead Pig Collector

Dead Pig Collector

From the wicked imagination of award-winning writer Warren Ellis comes DEAD PIG COLLECTOR, a love story with a classic Ellis twist. So while it might be a love story, it's also about killing people and disposing of their bodies in the most efficient manner possible.

DEAD PIG COLLECTOR introduces readers to Mister Sun, a very proficient businessman whose trade is the murder
Published July 30th 2013 by FSG Originals (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Pig Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Pig Collector

Sam Quixote
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Mister Sun is a hitman who also disposes of bodies. His latest assignment calls for him to kill someone and dispose of their body. That’s it.

Huh!? I swear Warren Ellis used to be a good writer of prose, like in Crooked Little Vein, but his latest fiction has been absolutely shite. Dead Pig Collector is thin on content even for a short story. If you want to read 30-odd pages of a dude disposing of a human body in detail, this is for you! But, even as an Ellis fan, I thought this was unoriginal,
Wil Wheaton
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just fantastic. Absolutely worth your time and money.
Karl
This chapbook is one of 1000 copies signed by Warren Ellis.

Original copyright 2013.

Cover illustration by Molly Crabapple
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
This is called DEAD PIG COLLECTOR and the audio is done by Wil Wheaton. I need it.

debra
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
I am not a fan of short stories, but this is a good one. This is a very interesting mix of amusing incongruity and gore; all related in a calm, and composed dry tone.

If this friggin thing tells me this review doesn't exist again I am not doing it again, and I didn't read it 2x. So there
Tania
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub
The writing was good, and I liked that it was funny, but I thought the ending fell flat.
Randee
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, crime
This is a Kindle single that I read in under an hour. I always enjoy stories about paid assassins. I'm not sure what that reveals about me but assassins, revenge, organized crime usually perk me up and give me some kind of vicarious enjoyment. I'm rating this as average (neither bad or great) because I have read this same plot over and over again. In fact, it feels like I've read this same story with differing details my entire life. It was a satisfying read, but there was nothing original.
Keith
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Here’s a subgenre of crime fiction that’s never going to die: The hitman story.
Why?
To be honest, I don’t know why? Is it because readers (and writers) are fascinated by the idea of people who’ve placed a monetized value on human life? Or how hitmen can somehow remain emotionally detached from their victims and view them as nothing more than animals ready for slaughter?
The story’s protagonist, Mr. Sun is your prototypical European hitman; sly, detached, perfectly at ease with leading a double lif
Sonja Arlow
3 1/2 stars

This short novella was a great introduction to an author I know nothing about. In fact I was so taken with it, as soon as I finished reading I also got Crooked little veins, the author’s debut novel.

This is the story of Mr Sun, a meticulously professional assassin. In fact he is so obsessively precise that he measures time in seconds, not hours. He has a flawless track record but this assignment may cause him to break all the rules.

This story gives you a pretty good idea what it takes
Malum
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
A fun little horror story. It was obvious where it was headed, but still entertaining nonetheless.

*A note for audiobook makers: If the majority of speaking lines is from a British character, then hire a British voice actor. A terrible fake British accent (and they are almost all terrible, including here) can ruin an audiobook*
Paul Ataua
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mr. Sun is a true professional. Everything is timed to perfection and enacted with surgical precision. That is important for a contract killer who sees body disposal as the most important part of his calling. Even when the job in question doesn’t turn out exactly as expected, Mr. Sun does not disappoint. A really good lunch-time read. Well worth the 30 minutes it takes to finish it.
Mandie Kok
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tough cookies, hardened criminals
The writing is clean and strung together with surgical precision. It's a very good read, although squeamish readers would do well to avoid it. Ellis describes the sounds and smells as well as the sights during a certain scene and it's very effective.

To my great regret and frustration, I didn't understand the ending. Specifically the final paragraph. It confused me, I re-read it, I can guess at what happened, but I don't know for sure. I note that another reader also asked a question about the en
Adam  McPhee
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
"The heart, you see, is just a pump, and can be operated manually."

Story about a hitman and a job gone wrong. I like writers who seem to have done their homework, and Ellis fits the bill. The short story is practically a how-to guide for corpse disposal. Reminded me of Matthew Woodring Stover.
Jason P
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, e-book
Loved it! Ellis is methodical and graphic, and he catches you off guard. Five stars all the way. :-)
Iluzija O. Istini
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put this story down.
I tried.
Didn't work.
Robert Acosta
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
A masterclass in the novella structure.
Mr. Sun, a man just off an airplane from England, is here to do a job. What is that job?
Kill and dispose of a human body. He's already been paid, so there's no issue there. When things on the job go awry, it'll be fascinating to see how Mr. Sun uses his particular skills to wrong the rights and push the limits of caring about his fellow man. All the while, gruesome details of his job are highlighted on the page.
It's wonderful to see a master use his craft i
Geoff
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Humanely vicious, like a lot of Ellis' crime fiction. I liked how someone else's review put it - this is a crime procedural, but from the criminal's perspective.
Randy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had a great time with this quick, little read. Reminded me of something that would be straight out of Tales From the Crypt. Dark, humorous, fun twist and only a dollar. What more could you ask for?
Tiara
Mr. Sun is an international body disposal professional/hitman who uses a form of Snapchat to communicate with his clients and set up jobs. While in Los Angeles, he gets a fairly routine job to complete, but things go to the wayside when Mr. Sun arrives at his destination and finds that things have already gone awry thanks to an overenthusiastic client. However, Mr. Sun is a professional. His job isn’t always necessarily about the hit, but the disposal of the body. And he has a dead pig to collec ...more
David
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mister Sun measures time in seconds and disposes of bodies for a living. He travels from London to LA for a job that goes a bit wrong, forcing him to change his meticulous plans.

Dead Pig Collector is dark and funny and grisly and not for the squeamish. Warren Ellis goes into a fair amount of detail about how bodies are professionally disposed of, to the point where you begin to wonder how he knows this stuff. (He says he found out in five hours of research on the Internet, and I'm sure that's t
AudioBookReviewer
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Please find this complete review and many others at http://audiobookreviewer.com

I am not sure where the advertised love story was within Dead Pig Collector but I don't really care either. Briefly I was introduced to a highly proficient and seeming complex hit man. Mr. Sun is an individual that could easily fill the pages of a full length novel, I hope he does in the future. This was an interesting, not particularly gruesome, not very funny, not very serious, I am not sure what the word I am look
Suzanne Cowles
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dead Pig Collector by British author Warren Ellis is a horror genre short story with a Gothic feel. What I noticed immediately is a an undertone of rage, a male point of view and a bitter lyrical quality.

The Protagonist, Mister Sun, really turns out to be the Antagonist who has a job to do. Unfortunately Amanda, being the stereotypical female, doesn't realize her dire predicament. Mister Sun does his job going through the motions of body disposing with chilling detail.

It's grim, grotesque and
Drew
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The simplest measure of a book review should be whether or not the book (story, novella, e-book, etc) succeeds in hitting the marks it establishes at the start. This story has no pretensions of being anything larger than itself and while we could certainly hope to see more of Mister Sun somewhere else someday, no one will be writing Mr. Ellis fan-mail and demanding that he be brought back in another story. This is funny, dark, intelligent, well-written - and over in just the right amount of tim ...more
Hudson
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I loved this short little gem about murder and dismemberment and structure and process. But how can murder and dismemberment go along with structure and process you ask? It's because Mr. Sun is very, very, very careful. Check him out.

I would recommend this book to horror enthusiasts and also to aspiring serial killers as an instruction manual. Did you know that America has more serial killers than any other country in the world? USA! USA! Buy this book, buy this book!
Bill
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very good short fiction about a hired hit man and body disposal expert at work on a new job in L.A. It was a bit grisly in the descriptions of his techniques, but also funny and light (if that's possible). A mysterious ending; like other readers I’m not sure what it means. But this story was a bizarre but fun read.
Rob Pait
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A story about love and corpse disposal. And the author's loathing of LA. Do recommend.
Milan Šabić
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read this in 4500 seconds. Every second worth it.
Nasreen Narkedien
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nasreen by: Mandie Kok
Thoroughly enjoyed it! Short enough to finish in one sitting. The end hit me in the face- I didn't realise I'd reached it! Still laughing. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
Jacob
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Warren Ellis. I like the way he writes his prose. His weekly newsletter is legitimately the best part of my Sunday (Sorry Cora, Daddy loves you both, but in fairness, Ellis got here first and he has an accent so...).

There is an ease in his prose that isn't afraid to throw in a good turn of phrase when he has one. But here, in this thing, a short story about a man who disposes of corpses, I didn't really feel much. It was engaging sure, but it was all so quick. Just flickers of this and t
Mike
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-books
It's hard for a 39 page story to be too offensive. It's over and done pretty quickly. I'd still say this was a fun read given the small package. A fairly simple story of a hitman on the job that also has a good ending. Check it out on Amazon for $0.99.

PS: The edition I purchased was a limited release signed by Ellis. I'm pretty happy with the physical book, but I do wish it was square bound. This would've increased the price but the price was already ridiculously low ($15 + free shipping) and wo
Ending 2 31 Sep 17, 2013 02:08PM
  • By The Time We Leave Here, We’ll Be Friends
  • Gender Neutral Parenting: Raising Kids with the Freedom to Be Themselves
  • Snap
  • Slimer
  • Choke Collar (Positron, #2)
  • Everything But the Squeal (Simeon Grist Mystery, #2)
  • Martyrs and Monsters
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
  • Akashic Records: Case Studies of Past Lives
  • Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll
  • Hard Bite
  • Stealing the Dragon (Cape Weathers Investigation #1)
  • The Last Quarry (Quarry #7)
  • Suspect Zero
  • Thumbprint: A Story
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
“Really?” Mister Sun said. “You killed a man with the same knife you use to make brunch, and you’re suddenly squeamish about a hammer.” 4 likes
“Now,” he said, snapping the black blade open, “we have destroyed the teeth, crushed the face, and obliterated the fingerprints. And we have not been caught. We can therefore proceed with the first stage of carcass disposal. Fluid drainage.”
Amanda placed her hands together so quickly that they almost clapped. “Ooh,” she said.”
2 likes