Start by marking “Aftermath (Aftermath, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aftermath (Aftermath, #1)

Aftermath

(Aftermath #1)

Some things don’t change. Others definitely do.

Published August 6th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Aftermath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftermath

Baba
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
2 stars.**Review completed September 5, 2013

I feel a little bit lonely...

photo tumblr_mf9ru2Rmvj1r9aisho1_500_zps0a191ada.gif

The premise of Aftermath did sound compelling. Add in the fact that ten of my friends and one of my followers rated it either with four or five stars and I thought "Count me in!" It started off promising and I've had a good feeling, but it began to fizzle out soon enough. Well, it's kinda obvious that I can't
Nazanin
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2013
4 Stars

Austin and Cam were kidnapped by a psycho for five months. They were through hell and back. After they came back they wanted to be normal but how can they!? It’s not easy for them with what they experienced.

"In captivity, they had patched each other up as best they could. They’d been each other’s nurse, doctor, shoulder to cry, and punching bag."

Austin and Cam had leaned on each other for five months, now that they came back they feel at peace with each other! But it’s not/>"In
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book has mostly 5 star reviews from ALL of my friends so please feel free to ignore me.

I couldn't finish this book.

None of it worked for me. I didn't like the detached writing style, the constant flashbacks (I sometimes had trouble knowing if it was present or past going on for a few moments), and the rapid POV switches. I didn't like the way the wife was portrayed, like the fact that she wasn't supportive made it okay to (view spoiler) ...more
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.25 Stars***

Aftermath is a book that has been sitting on my kindle forever. The blurb sucked me in and the premise was intriguing, but I kept passing it by thinking that I'd need to be in the right mindset to read a dark romance.

This book is definitely not a dark romance....AT ALL. Is it difficult to read at times? Yes. But this book sits firmly on the foundation of friendship, companionship, hope, healing and love.

The book takes place one month after Cam and Austin's release from their k
Vishous
When I first started reading this book I really expected it to be really dark because of the blurb. But honestly I think it's one of the sweetest story I read. Usually don't like too sweet books but this one was perfect. It wasn't over the top,there wasn't any drama or any angst in the process of their relationship. It was actually pretty normal how everything went.

You have present time and parts when they have flashbacks and remember how it was when they were abducted, hold captive and abused.
Barbara➰
Reread January 2018

I'm seeing a trend here with me rereading this about the same time every year lol. I absolutely LOVE these two guys. I love Cam and all his gruffness and quirks and anxiety. I love Austin in all his anger and his need for control. But I love them together and how they are there for each other and love each other no questions asked....anger, control anxiety, quirks and all.

Repeating myself, every time I read this I hate Jade, Austin's wife, even more. I want to
Duchess Nicole
"That was fucking brutal."
"No." Austin disagreed. "We know what brutal is, and this wasn't it."

First off, I want to start off by saying that this was not nearly as dark as I thought it would be. Between the cover and some other reviews I'd read, I was extremely hesitant to read this one but this is NOT A DARK ROMANCE! There are some scenes that include a bit of torture but it's not a huge mindfuck of a book...no one falls in love with their torturer, there are no sadistic sexual games. This is simply about two
Natasha
There are not enough crying gifs on the internet to express my feelings about this book.

God damn. I cried reading this a lot. This book was special. Very special. I found the story to be unique and extremely compelling.
Sometimes with books that involve a lot of trauma I find them to be a bit overly dramatic and I find myself sad/crying for silly reasons... this book had none of those silly reasons. I honest to god cried like 5 times while reading this
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ by: Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ "But I Digress" Queen

4.5 PTSD-meets-GFY Stars!

photo B74BAADE-ED9E-473B-BD21-90BECBB2101E_zpspzkwauoe.jpg

Aftermath
was recommended to me by a couple friends lately and I'm so thankful I listened. It was really a different plot-line an
DW
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-love
What a great read. I loved Austin and Cam. Going in I did not know what to expect. Mainly because I didnt really read about it. I was hooked from the beginning.

Austin and Cam went through hell and back and they were still helping each other fight through the traumatic nightmare. Being held captive in a tiny cell together for five months they learned to depend on the other to survive. It was insane what they went through but now that it was over, they were trying to work through the nightmares a
Dia
3 stars

I love Cara Dee's writing style. I discovered her with Noah. I adored Home and then I just dived in When Forever Ended because I couldn't get enough.
Unfortunately I enjoyed Aftermath the least. It reminded me a little about When Forever Ended, because of the straight married man who had a child to sooth after their parents' divorce. While in When Forever Ended I understood the character's internal struggle, here I kind of blamed Austin for not being honest to his wife, before going to Cam. This would be my biggest complai
Sheziss
I’m in the minority here.

I had this book for ages in my shelf because almost everybody loves it. So that’s why I feel pretty lost, like I mixed the directions to the party and ended up in a different place instead, you know?

TBH, if this hadn’t been for my BR friends, I'd have given up for sure.

The first 50% was very hard for me to read. Not because of the kidnapping and abuse thing, no. On one hand I got the feeli
A Girl Has No Name
5 stars!

Gun or no gun!

Once I stumbled upon this boom here on Goodreads, I knew that I would have to give it a try sometime. I read the blurb, the many reviews of my Goodreads friends and I just couldn’t ignore it any longer. I’m always looking for the raw and gritty reads out there and this one sounded very promising in all the right places.

Austin and Cam have been to hell and back together. After having survived a kidnapping of five months, they are desperately trying to deal with the aftermath and wi/>
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Found an MM series by Cara Dee I haven’t read yet...shockingly enough.

I liked this one quite a bit, but it was a bit heavier than I prefer. And I don’t *love* flashbacks always. They tend to pull me out of the story. But I get we needed to experience what Austin and Cam went through when they were kidnapped. Which was quite horrible I might add.

Yes, there’s cheating. But it didn’t bother me much in this scenario.

Overall, this one was a really good read.
Karen
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and RILEY!!! Sorry, I love that name.

Gun or No Gun...

Imagine being held hostage...a prisoner against your will to a stranger you've never met...never laid eyes on and they keep you locked up in a basement no windows, no light unless they allow it. You don't know why this has happened to you. All you truly know is you're not alone there are 9 other men just like you...trapped in tiny cells, 2 men in ever cell, wearing shackles,/>
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Absolutely Fabulous!

OK..now that I sat on my thoughts of this book overnight, I still think it was fricken fabulous in a heartbreaking and very emotional way.

These guys have been thru hell & back..together. They are locked in a cell together for 5 months, they learn to count on each other to get them thru each day..'patching' each other up and while not really noticing it at the time...falling in love with each other.

The story is told in present tense and we learn of what happe
Steelwhisper
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Steelwhisper by: Vfields needs to be happy!
1.5*

I nearly fell asleep trying to read this. Twice. Once in the morning, once later in the day, so it really wasn't me and sleep deficit.

Given the outré topic I found this to be boring, meh and far, far too talkative. I didn't like how the wife got set up as a typical GFY-trope-ish "mean bitch", and I'm sort of really over "typical American males" barely able to walk straight for their masculinity [problems]. I was unable to make it past the first 30%.

The ide
Christelle
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great BR for the Fantastic Four !! Thanks to Karen, Josy and Sheziss

How to rate this book ? 3 stars for the first half and 5 stars for the 2nd part, so overall, it’s 4 stars.

As mentioned in the blurb, Cam and Austin are 2 very different men. Their life would never have mixed but for a mad man who abducted them along with 8 others men and kept them imprisoned, barely surviving, and tortured them. During that time, Cam and Austin, total opposite but forced to share
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Angsty, emotional, and brutal at times. I loved this story from beginning to end. Even the parts that were hard to read felt necessary to see where these men came from and how they got to where they are.
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4-4.5 Stars

This was really, really good. I really liked Cam and Austin and their interactions with each other and their families. I love it when characters really need each other and Cam and Austin definitely did. The only thing I didn't love was the flashback style story telling, but that's just personal preference. Otherwise, this was a really solid m/m novella and I will definitely read more from this author.
Jaela
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed this book a lot, it felt a little off. Too many flashbacks and I was expecting more from the love scenes. However, it's quite enjoyable and worth the read. Austin and Cam were good and cute together.
Susan
Re-read June 2019

I liked this slightly less this time around. Mostly because I noticed Cam saying things like 'I'm turning into a woman' whenever he started to think about having feelings. That was just... no.

-------------

This story starts with Austin and Cam trying to adjust to real life again. It's hard for them to deal with the aftermath of being abducted and tortured for 5 months.

They were abducted along with 8 other men and locked in a basement. Aust
Silkeeeeeereads
AUTHOR'S BLURB:

"Austin Huntley and Cameron Nash are like night and day. One is a family man, works in a nice office, drives an expensive car, and is content to be content. The other one is an antisocial car mechanic with a short fuse.

Some things don’t change. Others definitely do.

After surviving a five-months long kidnapping together, they struggle to return to normalcy, all while realizing that they're more drawn to each other than they ever could've imagined
Bev

This is a really good novel. 4.5 stars and

Flashbacks of 10 seemingly random men... kidnapped, and held captive in a basement for 5 months, no light, little food, appalling sanitary conditions, tortured, beaten.....

Present day sees two of the men Austin and Cam growing ever closer. Cam had issues himself before he was held in captivity, and now finds that only Austin seems to be able to understand and calm him down. They only had each other to rely upon in captivity, and bonds were forged between the two of them
Amy
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I love love loved this book! It’s told in the present tense with flashbacks to the past when Austin and Cam were held captive and abused for 5 months. It’s brutal and heartbreaking, but also beautiful as they realize they are drawn to each other as more than just friends. Austin is married and has a 10-year-old daughter. His wife keeps insisting that he forget the past and move on. (I was not a fan of her at all. She seemed so cold and heartless.) As a result, Austin begins to find comf ...more
figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️
5 Stars

photo sexygaygifgif1gif2_zps25874e0e.gif

As i am sitting right now at my laptop trying to put into words wot i am feeling after i finish this book i realized i just don't have the words to make justice to it so this will probably just going to be another of my rumbling reviews how much i loved it.

I THINK BY NOW EVERYONE KNOWS THAT I AM A SUCKER FOR A GOOD M/M BOOK AND I HAVE TO SAY, THIS BOOK WAS REALLY, REAL
Nazanin
DNF at 60%. I didn't enjoy the constant flashbacks.
Barbara
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"To hell and back with you"

This book is awesome, I love, love and love it!!

It starts like…

And then…

The ending is…
"To hell and back with you"

This book is awesome, I love, love and love it!!

It starts like…

And then…

The ending is…
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, mm, ebook
There were so many things I liked about this story. Even things I don't normally like, I liked here and felt they were important parts.

It was so easy to grasp how these guys changed after their months of captivity. I never had any doubt they would need to make some serious changes. One thing I am not a fan of is flashbacks. However, in this case, they were some of the best parts of the story telling of their experiences while kidnapped. They were spaced out perfectly throughout the s
Heather C
I don't think there are words for me to say how much I loved this story!

You know those books where you immediately fall in love with the characters and it keeps you up all night because you can't break yourself away from the story they have to tell?? Well that was exactly how this was for me. I immediately felt deeply for Austin and Cam and was so impatient for their HEA. They were just meant to be together...the only ones who understood each other.

Yeah, this one was a bit on the darker side, but noth

• The Darker Side of Trey Grey (Trey Grey, #1)
  • Billy's Bones
  • Second Chances (Second Chances #1)
  • Antidote (Don't..., #2)
  • Dex in Blue (Johnnies, #2)
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • Finding Zach (Finding Zach, #1)
  • The Island
  • Dark Soul: The Complete Collection (Dark Soul, #1-5)
  • Violence Begets...
  • Disasterology 101
  • Not His Kiss to Take
  • Dirty Deeds (Dirty Deeds, #1)
  • Slide (Roads, #1)
  • Inferno
  • Out of the Blackness (Avery, #1)
  • Sinner's Fall (Brooklyn Sinners, #4)

I'm often stoically silent or, if the topic interests me, a chronic rambler. In other words, I can discuss writing forever and ever. Fiction, in particular. The love story—while a huge draw and constantly present—is secondary for me, because there's so much more to writing romance fiction than just making two (or more) people fall in love and have hot sex. There's a world to build, characters to d

Aftermath (2 books)
  • Outcome (Aftermath, #2)
“Gun or no gun.” 12 likes