Start by marking “The Best Man's Baby (Red River, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Best Man's Baby (Red River, #2)

The Best Man's Baby

(Red River #2)

Published August 12th 2013 by Entangled: Bliss

To ask other readers questions about The Best Man's Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Man's Baby

Vashti
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5****
So , how do you tell your only ever one night stand that he is going to be a daddy after he runs out on you in the early am.
You tell him in the middle of a family bar b cue when you storm over to him and stab your pregnancy stick in his fresh of the grill hamburger,that's how!
This is how Clare introduces Jake to his impending fatherhood after he ran away six weeks ago.
I loved this book,it was sweet,romantic,funny,sad,and just a pleasure to read.
I loved how Jake stood up to his responsibli
Melody Cox
***4.75 Stars - Highly Recommend***

I really did love this book. I have read Books 1-3. This second book was my favorite of the first three.

Claire Holbrook is a florist and minister's daughter and she has always played by the rules. She has been in love with Jake Manning most of her life but he had no interest in the preacher's good girl. She was the maid of honor at her best friend's wedding and Jake was the best man. The wedding and reception came to an end and they danced together which led t
Jonetta
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My initial thoughts
I started this book not really knowing what to expect but felt this would be a fairly light-hearted story. But, with what I knew of these two characters from the first book, I couldn't imagine them being "frothy." My instincts were correct as both Claire and Jake had depth and complexity, making this an outstanding story.

Quick summary
Claire's silent crush on Jake dated back to high school. He being six years older, Jake never gave her the time of day. When they came together
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed by Kim
for Read Your Writes Book Reviews

The Best Man’s Baby is my first Victoria James book. I can say without a DOUBT, it will not be my last. I was sucked into the book immediately. I couldn’t wait to find out the secret Jake was carrying around and the outcome for this couple.

Claire Holbrook is the best friend of Jake’s new sister-in-law, Holly. Holly and Quinn Manning’s story is told in A RISK WORTH TAKING. The Best Man’s Baby starts out at the wedding reception of Holly and Quinn. C
Monique
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Aww... This was brilliant!!

Disclosure: I received this book free of charge from the publisher. All comments and opinions are my own. This is a completely honest review.

This is the second instalment in Victoria James’ Red River series. Even though I haven’t read the first book, I loved this book. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me want to turn the pages ahead just so I know what happens next. The characters in this book are so refreshing and funny, that they seem to leap off the pag
Jasmyn
The Best Man's Baby is a great mix of the cliche and the unique. There are lots of books about the best man falling in love at the wedding. And there are lots of books where a one night stand ends up in a baby. The thing that makes this book stand out are the characters (they are always the most important part to me).

Claire is convinced that Jake doesn't have it in him to settle down and be responsible. He seems to prove her right when he takes off for six weeks after their one night together -
Viviana
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars.
Vintage
Between the Star Trek: The Next Generation marathon on yesterday, blustery winds and a lack of desire to do anything, I read a bunch of romances.

Here is a three star rating which is more of a 3.5 star.

At the wedding of the h's best friend and the H's brother, the two hookup. This could be/is a huge mistake as the h is a good girl, daughter of the parson, and the H is a bad boy aka bad son. She has had a crush on him for years which was tough as she was over-weight and bullied when she was young
Ana Luisa
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Victoria James is another unknown author in Portugal. She lives near Toronto, in Canada and writes for Entangled, Indulgence. I feel sad when I read such great books as “The Best Man’s Baby” and realize that are so many good authors out there waiting for the opportunity to be discovered by Portuguese publishers.
About this book, I totally fell in love with it. It’s a sweet and romantic story, with amazing humour scenes, which made me enjoy the book very muc
Maree Repa
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Pregnant Pause

Five Amazing Stars

I was so absolutely thrilled to now enjoy the second book, Red River. I was so pleasantly surprised to now enjoy yet another wonderful romance from this most sweetest town ever. I loved all this amazing kind friends. I was so excited to find out more about the marvellous character Jake Manning now!!

Claire Holbrook had found out that she was now pregnant. She was shocked, scared and didn't know know what she should do now! She had feeling for Jake Manning ever si
Angie
This book was so well done. It felt a bit shorter than the average full length book, but in no way is the reader cheated. From beginning to end the characters and storyline are well developed and written. Although this could be read as a standalone, Claire and Jake are introduced in the 1st book. The epilogue of this story also mentions something that sets up Ethan's book (#3 in the series featuring these brothers).

Like the first book, this is a romantic and sweet story (the sexy time scenes fad
Dalia
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. A lot.
It's a good girl and a bad boy story. It has the perfect combination : a very emotional storyline, a humorous writing style and lovable characters.
I liked Claire and Jake and rooted for them to find their HEA.
Claire is a mixture of strength and vulnerability. She has insecurities due to her mother's obsession with appearances. Claire has always been a good girl and the only time she did something reckless - spending a night with Jake whom she had a
Esther
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. Loved the H & h and their romance. This book had me laughing, sighing and crying. Beautiful love story!
Jenny
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a cute, quick, emotional read. Really enjoyed Claire and Jake together. Too bad the sex scenes were G rated.
Brooke
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Book 2 in the Red River series focuses on Quinn's brother, Jake, and Holly's best friend, Claire.

I have to start this review by saying this book had me laughing so hard in several places that my stomach muscles and cheeks are sore.

Claire has been infatuated with Jake for pretty much as long as she can remember. He was the "bad boy" in the Manning family and devilishly sexy. Jake never really noticed Claire until a few years ago, but boy does he notice her now! But Jake's never really been the re
Staci
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I normally do not finish books in one day. What can I say? This was an exception. I received this as an ARC and had not read the first in the series. I was concerned that perhaps I shouldn't dive into a book that is a sequel, but this is a stand alone story. Each book plays on the other, but each one is a different brother's story and are chronological in nature.

I devoured the story of Jake and Claire. From the prologue I was sucked in. I had to make myself not jump to the end of each page beca
Angie
I am so glad that I discovered Victoria James and her amazing Red River series. After reading A Risk Worth Taking, I was excited about reading Jake and Claire's story because I knew they would not disappoint me in providing an entertaining story--and they definitely delivered! From one of the opening scenes of Claire shoving her pregnancy stick in Jake's burger, these two easy-to-connect-with characters jumped off the page with their loud, banter-loving personalities.

Jake was damaged beyond bel
Paula Legate
This is a must read. I laughed, and cried within the chapters of this delightful story. The story is told with so much emotion. I will be adding this one to my favorite's list. Jake, and Claire pulled me right into this book. I laughed so hard when I read how she told Jake that he was going to be a dad! This book is like no other, it is not predictable. It is moving in places, so if you tend to get misty eyed at emotional parts have the tissues near-by. I enjoyed the banter between Jake, and Cla ...more
Sarina Bowen
Readers come in two categories--those who are or are not fans of baby trope books. I like them, because parenthood is serious stuff, and in a romance involving babies, none of the angst has to be manufactured. It's all very real. And this book is quite well written. I loved Claire and Jake, and their back stories were cleverly imagined. Good stuff!
Lisa
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love when a book takes me by surprise. This was such a sweet and emotional story. I adored both Jake and Claire and their love story was funny at times, charming and wonderful. Their journey to their HEA was an emotional roller coaster but the reward at the end was a perfect ending. The epilogue was just an added bonus of goodness :)

I just wish it were longer. :)
Brenda
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It had its sweet, fun and emotional moments. I liked that Jake had a responsible side to him. He wasn't a footloose womanizer as one thought him to be at the beginning of the book. I liked the moment when he finally tells his brothers --with Claire's encouragement-- the story behind his birth and why he ran off after his parents' death.

My favorite moment in the book had to be how Claire breaks the news to him that she's pregnant with his child. Sticking the pregnan
Chu
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
some_text

Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

Rating: 4.5 Stars

First I fell in love with the plot, then the characters and then finally, the whole book.

Claire Holbrook has been the perfect daughter, the perfect friend, the perfect girl. She had been very nice to everyone all her life, she never wanted anything more than Jake Manning. She had nursed her feelings far too long. Until one night, she got reckless, and threw cautions into the wind when she decided to spend one night with him. But the morning
Sapphyria
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have not read book 1 in the series...yet (I just purchased it from Amazon) but I found that I really didn't need to in order to enjoy The Best Man's Baby.

Claire Holbrook is the daughter of a Reverend, who has had a mad crush on Jake Manning, a man with a reputation, since grade school. When her best friend, Holly marries Jake's brother, Quinn, Claire throws caution to the wind and, with the help of some whiskey, ends up in bed with Jake. Her first, and only, tryst results in pregnancy but Jake
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted on What I'm Reading

A few months back I read A Risk Worth Taking by Victoria James. I thought that book was pretty awesome. Now Victoria has a new book which is The Best Man's Baby, which I believe is better than A Risk Worth Taking. I'm not kidding; I started this book yesterday and couldn't put it down. I may have stayed up until 2am to finish this story. Now you are wondering what made this story so good me? Let me share:

Claire Holbrook has always been a good girl, after all she is the
Valerie
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
4 stars - This book has that perfect balance of emotional pull and authentic plot.

This is book two in a companion series. It's not necessary to have read the first one and I didn't. I am thinking I want to go back and read it now, though. I picked this one up because I loved the premise. Crush from growing up and unrequited love plus giving into the lust all spelled a good read to me. And it was.

I loved the characters in this book. Everyone thinks Claire had a perfect life growing up but that ma
Gigi staub
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4.5 Stars

Florist Claire Holbrook has always played by the rules her entire life, but breaks them to spend one night with sexy lone wolf Jake Manning, a man she's adored since she was a teenager. Six weeks later things get complicated when she discovers they created a bond that will last a lifetime...Jake has never played by the rules. Getting Minister Holbrook's daughter pregnant wasn't part of any life plan, but he won't run from his responsibilities. He'll step up and be the best man he can, e
Phoebe Jeziel
-Rated a 4.5-

(it's probably more of a 4 star rating, but I'm bumping it up for my enjoyment!)

I normally stay away from books with ridiculously cheesy (and bad) covers, along with a ridiculously cheesy title but the plot sounded adorable and when I previewed a sample on amazon, I was hooked.

I was hooked for two main reasons:

1) THERE WAS NO FIRST POINT OF VIEW!!! FINALLY!!!

Now, don't get me wrong. I love reading 1st pov just as much as any other person, but with most books like these I end up ge
Fiona Marsden
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Victoria James Manning Brothers books I've read. It comes second in the series and the first one has been on my want to read list since I first saw it. I received an ARC for this review.

I didn't find it a problem not having read the first book but will certainly read it when I get a chance. The third book is out later in the year and I'm looking forward to it.

This is a classic good girl (yes one of my favourite virginal heroines) and the bad boy of the Manning Brothers. A re
Megan
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
*ARC Copy*

I'm Glad I Got an ARC Copy. This was a really good book.

Characters:

Claire Holbrook: Claire is a Reverend Daughter. She owns her own business, which is a florist shop. She is a nice girl, but very shy.

Jake(Jacob)Manning: Jake is the guy that Claire has always had a crush on and is supposedly the screw up out of the three brothers. He is the middle child. Jake has had a rough childhood.

Quinn Manning: is Jake's older brother and is married to Claire's best friend, Holly.

Holly Manning: is
Ashley Williams
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Best Man's Baby was a great read! It was packed full of angst and swoon! This book is part of a series, but you don't have to read the first book in order to know what's going on. I'm kinda glad that I read this one first. I love Jake, and once you figure out why he's so dark and broody, you love him even more. I don't want to see what the other characters think of him before his past was revealed. I know, though, that I'll definitely be reading the previous and next book in this series.

Jam
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• To Win Her Trust
  • Seven Day Fiancé (Love and Games, #2)
  • Guardian Ranger (Shadow Agents, #2)
  • Love Him or Leave Him (Small Town, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Real Men Don't Quit (Real Men, #2)
  • The Wedding Gamble
  • Make Me Crazy (Loco, Texas, #2)
  • Lean on Me (The MacKay Sisters #2)
  • Winning the Boss's Heart
  • It is What it is: A Hood Love Story
  • Just for the Summer (Lake Bliss, #1)
  • Speaking of Love (Perfect Kisses, #2)
  • A Baby For Christmas
  • Talking Dirty With the Player (Talking Dirty, #2)
  • In A Heartbeat (Shameful Regret, #1)
  • The Switched Baby Scandal
  • Listed: Volume IV (Listed, #4)
  • Tempting Cameron (Lone Pine Lake, #2)
Victoria James is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance.

She is a hopeless romantic who is living her dream, penning happily-ever-after's for her characters in between managing kids and the family business. Writing on a laptop in the middle of the country in a rambling old Victorian house would be ideal, but she's quite content living in suburbia with her husband

Red River (4 books)
  • A Risk Worth Taking (Red River, #1)
  • The Doctor's Fake Fiancée (Red River, #3)
  • The Rebel's Return (Red River, #4)