Start by marking “Second Chances” as Want to Read:
Second Chances

Second Chances

Charlie Bennett is a rising star in the world of sports journalism, but her personal life is a mess. Still hung up on her college sweetheart, a one-night-stand gone wrong convinces her that she needs to make a change. An offer for a one-year guest lecturer position from a small private university provides her the opportunity she needs to escape, and she jumps at it. All Ch ...more
Published July 4th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chances

Marilyn
Entertaining. 'The blond', 'the brunette' is driving me crazy. I didn't think I was that picky, but it turns-out... I am.
Lady Avalon
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian
3,5 rounded up
Megzz
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boring, vanilla
2.5

There's really not much to this story, is there? I mean, it's seriously boring. Well written, with some funny moments, some hot moments, some sweet moments, but overall: so incredibly DULL.

Basically the story is: Charlie runs into Mac in a small town, 8 years after breaking up (it has to be fate, right?), Charlie instantly thinks "I need to get back with Mac" while Mac instantly thinks "I can never get back with Charlie, she broke my heart" (very original characterisation there), and the nex
Heidi
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a romance, no surprises... No twists or major angst. It's two women rekindling an old love.
Starsandsun18
Well, it could have been 4stars.... But..

Its kinda annoying to read

She Licked her lips,
Brunette, blonde like a million times.
But then again its her debut novel.. So
C. Mack
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In one sitting!

Yep, this goes into the 'one sitting' category which means it was such a sweet story that I couldn't bring myself to leave. I really fell in love with the characters, their shared history and resulting romance. A very sweet read with enough going on to add depth to what is simply a 'get the girl' story.
Kat
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
sweet story about ability to reunite with the one. Few up and downs, but what a great read.
S
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes the hair colour thing gets a little tired but on the whole a good book. Maybe a tad long but in the high 3s rounded up
Joann Brown-Balsamo
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good

I enjoyed this book. I would recommend it. It is a reminder of early love and the harshness of coming out of the closet and the beauty of it as well. Once I started this book I did not want to put it down
Kathy
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read

This book was filled with humorous, fun dialogue and very likeable characters, both primary and secondary. I enjoyed the way Charlotte and Mackayla literally bumped into each other after many years apart.

Omg! The sexual tension was palpable, but the author took her time in getting Mac and Charlie truly back together, but when she did, the payoff was sizzling!!! The special romantic touches were sweet and the reason why so many of us love romance books.

"Watch out for flying fo
Sandy
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone Deserves A Second Chance

Two very likable characters who had a relationship in college that fell apart when one couldn’t come out of the closet. Now a bunch of years later and much more maturity under the belt they meet again and slowly and surely they come back into each other’s orbit. Can they get past the reasons they broke up the first time and rebuild what they once had? Lovely writing, good storyline, and fun sidekicks in the form of best friends. Enjoyable light read.
Nicole Moody
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple and cute

Proof no matter how bad you muff it up, you may have your chance at redemption. The story was cute and simple with the major drama being each other’s insecurities- but that’s what made it so sweet.
Cyndi
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A realistic and enjoyable novel about reconnecting with your first love. Moves along at a nice pace to show the work that goes into to establishing a relationship when there's a lot of history to sort through.
Annette
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one too!!!

I have become a true fan of MJ Duncan and her books! I am off to find the next one!!
Terri
I didnt really care for this. I didn't think the characters had any chemistry what so ever. 3 stars for a good story line but not much else.
Charlie Conwell
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

Would have been 5 stars but the over use of blonde and brunette and the mix of Charlotte and Mackayla to Mac and Charlie overall good book though
Terry Baker
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Twenty nine year old sports journalist, Charlotte Bennett, (Charlie to all but Mackayla) is assistant editor of a prestigious sports magazine. Her professional life is going really well, but her personal life is a disaster. Charlie is still in love with her college sweetheart, Mackayla Thomas, (Mac to all but Charlotte).

Unfortunately, circumstances at the time caused Charlotte to walk away from Mackayla eight years before. No other woman has ever matched up to her though and after yet another di
AC
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
I picked this up several months ago, when I already had a backlog of books to read, and finally made it down the line. I can’t say how many more I still have to read from that list.
It’s a great title and later in the book you will better understand the cover art…trust me. Exactly how many times does one get a second chance at love…it is probably something that some people wonder about at times. The ‘what if’ scenario. Duncan’s characters get that chance to find out. She gives her characters the
Sgogirl
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Started Out Good

The story started out well enough, but became boring and repetitious. The story line was predictable but is to be expected in a romance so I did not have a problem with that. What drove me crazy was the reference to the blonde or brunette and the green or blue eyes. Also, how many times does one swallow thickly, coughs softly or bites their lip. I could not tell what character's point of view the story was coming from sometimes as well. I found very few typos so that was good.
Margaret L. Hedman
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.

I loved this book. What a roller coaster ride. The opening scene with the shoe throwing grabs your attention right away. The interaction between Charlotte and Mackayla is to sweet. I only wish I had friends who loved me the way this couple's friends care about them.
Lisa Wellott
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! So many people have made a mistake with the love of their life and never get a chance to go back. I love how the flow of this story could be anyone's story. We don't always get it right the first time and Charlie and Mac are amazing characters in this beautiful love story.
B.L.
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! This was one of the most entertaining books I have read in a while.
Rashika
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
;-) lovely read - was such a joy to read.
lov2laf
Good story. I think MJ Duncan matured in writing on her second book, Veritas, which I enjoyed very much, also. Both are worth the read.
Beth
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish life really worked out this way ... Wonderful story!!!
Jennifer Dait
Amanda
Oct 08, 2016

• Fitting In
  • Built to Last
  • New Beginnings (Winter Jacket, #2)
  • The Trip
  • Waking Forever (Waking Forever, #1)
  • Under Construction (By Design, #2)
  • Rain Falls (Rain Falls, #1)
  • The Miracle Girl (The Miracle Girl #1)
  • Destiny's Bridge (Lex and Amanda, #1)
  • A Kiss Before Dawn
  • Awakening (Drakon, #1)
  • Waltzing on the Danube (Americans Abroad, #1)
  • The Devil You Know (Dark Mirror Series, #2)
  • Waking Up Gray
  • Once in a Lifetime
  • Switching Gears
MJ Duncan is a Southern California girl who traded in her surfboard for hockey skates when she moved to Minnesota. When not writing, MJ enjoys reading, climbing, swimming, and spending time with her family. You can also follow her on twitter (@mj_duncan) and tumblr (mjduncan).
“No helmets for the girls. No pads. No real gloves. And I’m not even going to go into the differences in what type of sticks they’re allowed because that’s just beyond messed up. No body checking. Game stopping every two seconds for some lame-ass penalty that wouldn’t ever be called in the men’s game. If you’ll excuse my language, fuck that. Girls can beat the hell out of each other with a stick just as well as the boys can. If not better, in some cases. Bitches be vicious.” 3 likes