Start by marking “Threads (Small Things, #2)” as Want to Read:
Threads (Small Things, #2)

Threads (Small Things, #2)

History is changing around nineteen-year-old Ben Spencer, and he’s powerless to stop it. His sister has disappeared, his family thinks he’s schizophrenic, and, worse yet, the girl he’s madly in love with won’t give him the time of day.Enter the mysterious Michael, who, years earlier, helped Ben’s parents defeat a powerful sorcerer bent on destroying them and reclaiming a r ...more
Published October 8th 2013 by Small Things Press (first published October 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Threads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Threads

Scott Collins
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, so I actually enjoyed this one more than the first. One issue I’ll get out of the way up front: I’m not interested in what brand name clothing people are wearing. Now that that’s off my chest, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Any time you involve time travel you’re treading a thin line. Too many things can go wrong and you’ve got an ENORMOUS amount of detail to keep track of. He did it masterfully. I had a few questions at the beginning, which wound up answering themselves later in the boo ...more
Demelza Carlton
A brilliant blend of magic, religion, the past and the present...in a fun adventure with Space Sticks, teenage parents and demons that just won't die.

I admit I was mildly confused at the beginning of this book, as it had been a while since I read Small Things (the first book in the series) and the modern setting at the beginning threw me at first, not to mention the strange abilities of the main characters. Of course, I kept reading and the reasons for this were rapidly revealed, but I was alre
Nicolas Wilson
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to admit- I enjoyed Small Things, but this one was a bit more of a miss for me. There were aspects of the plot and some characters, particularly the female characters, that didn't feel organic. It was a rich and complex story, but I had a hard time getting into it. I think I wanted it to be a bit closer to small things in style and scope- there were so many new characters, magic devices, and themes introduced, that it didn't feel as connected to its prequel as I would have hoped. It was w ...more
Sara
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to remind myself NOT to read Joe's stories when I have to do things like work or sleep. Masterful and suspenseful, this book has something for everyone. Demons, time travel, and romance are just a few of the things you'll experience in this second volume of the Small Things trilogy. But it's ok if you haven't read the first one (but then WHY NOT???) This also works as a stand alone novel because the history is explained.

Please note sci fi fans... there is no such thing as the "temporal pr
Lilian Roberts
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a suspenseful book that kept me eager to find out what was going to happen next from the very first page. “Threads” is an excellent story and the characters were very likable and believable. I am now curious to read the other books by this gifted author.
Joe DeRouen in a very short time gives you a quick sci fi view of people being erased, timelines are moved and one of my most favorite things he introduces time travel. The two main characters Ben and Katy go back in time. I loved the t
Paulette
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Joe DeRouen proves once again that he is not just another writer rather he is an artist. In Threads, part two of the Small Things Trilogy, Joe proves once again just how much of an artist he is.

And Threads continues the thrilling story while introducing new twists and turns. A complete novel in itself (so don't worry if you haven't read Small Things, you wont be lost but I do recommend you read it just for the enjoyment of reading it!) Threads not only picks up from Small Things but takes it and
Zoe Saadia
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The continuation of the first book, 'Threads' offers us another glimpse into the turbulent life of Ben Spencer and the hair-raising dilemmas he must to face while trying to make sense of it all. This time a time-travel is involved and, while reading, I kept marveling at the author's ability to blend suspense and paranormal, to handle so many characters without losing one single trait, to keep my interest as a reader with such decisiveness.
The story line of 'Threads' is wonderfully complex, delic
Sue M. Van
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Threads is a great book for the lover of time travel. The characters are very well developed. Ups and downs throughout the story that keeps the reader turning pages consistently to get to the conclusion. Classic good against evil and the reader might try to anticipate what will happen next but there are several surprises in store. An excellent read and sequel to Small Things. Waiting for the next in this series.
Mandus
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to getting a chance to read the second installment ever since I finished "Small Things", the first book. De Rouden has a marvelous way of pulling you into the story and the characters that move the storyline forward. I found myself flipping through the pages and it didn't take long before I was done with it. It's all in here: sacrifice, betrayal, corruption, love, murder, faith, redemption, and magic. I'm happy to hand out a 5-star to this fine piece of writing.
Anna Othitis
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by a whole new twist in the story. Joe DeRouen is a wonderful story teller, blending suspense and supernatural in just the right balance. Joe DeRouen is a wonderful story teller, with some mystery, recommended.
You’ll enjoy this novel!!!
Gale Stanley
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Threads is a twisty, suspenseful, supernatural ride that doesn’t let up. I enjoyed book one – Small Things, and this is another winner. With that being said, I think Threads can be read as a standalone book. There’s enough back story to fill in the blanks. I’m looking forward to the next in this series.
* I received a copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review. *
C.P. Mandara
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Magic, mystery and mayhem are all interwoven for a spellbinding journey through time in Threads. Think Harry Potter and a Discovery of Witches and this promises to be somewhere in between... delightfully suspenseful and with almost 'breathable' characters who'll jump to life right out in front of you. Loved it.
Elias Zapple
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My slugs and I love a bit of sci-fi and with added demons, what could go wrong? This is the sequel to Small Things and it just gets better and better with lots of mystery and suspense. Very well-written. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Darrin Mason
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another review said this book had a Harry Potter feel to it. Indeed, it does, and Ben Spencer can surely take off from where Harry landed. It is exciting, well-written, and full of twists and turns. This is volume 2 of the trilogy. Bring on volume 3.
Stevie Turner
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving this series. Joe DeRouen blends just the right amount of suspense and fantasy in this Sci-fi novel, which would stand alone very well even if it wasn't in a series. Thoroughly recommended!
Christoph Fischer
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Threads (Small Things Book 2)" by Joe DeRouen is a worthy follow up to his excellent first book. Time travel Sci-Fi with good suspense and great characters, every bit as good as "Small Things"
Jams Roses
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative and suspenseful. Wonderful story telling.
Angel Sefer
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting plot!
I was intrigued by the description and had to check this book out. Well, I’m glad that I did. It was far better than I expected and kept my interest until the end.
Jan
Absorbing. Grabs you by the brain and makes you keep on reading "just another couple of pages, then I'll. ...". Ya, right! Without doing the whole recap thing, the publisher's blurb is somewhat informative without screwing up and giving out spoilers. Neither will I.
The best part for me was getting the audio narrated by Madeline Mrozek! Anytime she is the narrator, it's a good day.
Bruce Diamond
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Joe DeRouen's THREADS is a worthy follow-up to his debut novel, SMALL THINGS. It's meatier, more complex, and line-by-line better written than the first novel. Joe still has some growing to do as a writer, but he knows how to tell a suspenseful, entertaining story.

THREADS picks up thirty or so years later than the first book, with the offspring of SMALL THINGS' trio of protagonists (Shawn, Jenny, and Fred Ruskin). In a relatively short time, people are being erased, timelines are in flux, and ou
Michael Gardner
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Murder, magic, time travel...

...and demons, an angel, and a haunted house. Oh, and a psychic vampire samurai sword wielding priest. And that’s just for starters. Threads has... well... a lot of plot threads. Don’t get me wrong... I’m not complaining. With so much going on, Threads could well and truly get frayed, but it’s a tight, pacey and well-conceived book.

I don’t like to start a review with a disclaimer, but in this case it’s necessary. I was given a copy of Threads in return for an honest
Stephenee
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
* I received a copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review. *

I enjoyed this one (the second book) more than the first one for a number of reasons. The first reason is that it was more of a modern setting so when the author wrote about the things going on it all flowed. There were no things that the characters used that were not available yet to people and there was no stress in trying to remember what was happening several years ago. The characters also were more developed in this book,
Joood Hooligan
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it

I had purchased the ebook when it was first released, but was given a copy of the audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

Although I had intended on reading this a while ago, life happened and it was placed on the back burner. When I was offered the audio version in exchange for an honest review, I jumped at the chance. I already have the book, so it just gave me an excuse to finally give it a go.

This one takes place in the future, using the kids of the
Cindy Smith
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book right after the first one, Small Things. Ben is late picking up his sister to take her to the library. When he arrives home, he finds out he has no sister and his parents think he has mental issues. But, Ben knows that something is wrong and gets Katy, a friend he has loved forever, to help him figure out what is going on. They are directed by Michael (an Archangel that their parents helped in the past) to go back in time and fix the problem.
I loved it. I was a bit confused in t
Janet E.
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Threads (Small Things Book 2) by Joe DeRouen, offers the reader a delightful concoction of supernatural suspense mixed with mystery. Fast-paced, well-plotted, and fun to read. Chills and thrills await you. And Small Things Book 1, of course, should be on your reading list as well. Lock the windows and doors before you start to read...
Scott Sammons
Better than the first in series.

There are some substantial improvements in this second novel of this series. Far from my favorite author, but , an entertaining read. I doubt that I will read more at any price.
Shane O'Neill
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This had a bit of a Harry Potter feel for me, which is no bad thing. I immediately fell for the protagonist, Ben Spencer, who it seems, has the entire world against him. I loved his journey back through time to try and combat a great evil and right some wrongs. An enjoyable read.
Jasmine Le fitz
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome second installment to Small Things. Really hoping that the author is working on the next book since he left us with a cliffhanger. Already started his newest book Memories of a Ghost.
Hannah Roberts
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So good! I really just loved it! Can't wait until the last book comes out :) Come on with it Mr. DeRouen!
Sarka-Jonae Miller
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Being Pagan I was drawn to this book because of the cover. I learned that Threads is part of an epic trilogy of sacrifice and love. It's difficult to do time travel well, imo, but this is well done.
Joe was born in Carthage, Illinois, and currently lives in Rogers, Arkansas with his artist wife Andee, their son Fletcher, and their cats Lucky, Milo, and Archer. Joe is a freelance writer and a substitute teacher. In addition to writing, he enjoys purchasing (and occasionally watching) copious amounts of Blu-Ray discs, listening to music, playing video games, and collecting Mego action figures f ...more
“Thank God Ben had been there to wake her.
But then, when hadn’t he been there? It was she that kept pushing him away. Even as a kid, before his adoration of her had turned into a full-blown crush, she’d kept him at arm’s length.”
0 likes
“She suddenly felt herself gasping for air, as if she’d momentarily forgotten how to breathe. She rocked back in her chair and nearly fell over, then slumped against the green-covered table. The bowl fell from her fingers, shattering at her feet, broken glass scattering everywhere.” 0 likes