Start by marking “The Howling Heart” as Want to Read:

Published August 8th 2013 by Eternal Press

To ask other readers questions about The Howling Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Howling Heart

Elaine
This is a different paranormal shifter story with Norse mythology added for good measure! I really liked the explanation for the existence of wolf shifters and the enthralling plot into which it is woven. It is a unique take on this genre, with many new to me aspects which make this such an enjoyable story to get lost in (and my family can confirm that I really did get lost in it, I really needed 'Do Not Disturb' signs around me whilst reading it!)

There are many well portrayed characters in the
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)

I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions above are 100% my own.

I struggled with my decision on how to rate this book. After much reflection, I finally decided to give it a four-star rating. You may be wondering what could have led to this struggle. The story was good, but there were aspects that had me rethinking my decision to read it. There was a hint of the possibility of sexual deviation. Thankfully, it was just a hint because that would have been
Dianne
The cabin in Black River, Colorado was supposed to be something fun for young Paige, but her parents’ constant fighting scared her so much, she decided running away had to be better. That’s when she found a cute little white puppy in the woods, and a few minutes of happiness and joy until she was surrounded by a pack of snarling wolves, protecting their little packmate. Her family never went back to that cabin, so when Paige’s father dies and leaves it to her years later, she returns to Black Ri ...more
✿kawehi.reviews
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
The good: A decent read. Cute story line and characters, okay pacing, and refreshing tale of wolves descended from the Varulv clan.

The bad: Nothing constructive to embellish on BUT I was hoping for more plot after Paige had made her decision whether to bond with Riley or not. I mean, there is, but I wanted more.

Also, I was a tad interested and shocked at the mention of the possibility of bestiality. I don’t know how such a thing would have even been possible to portray since physically a werew
CeCe
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
The story began from page one where Paige goes to her family’s cabin when she is 10 years. While out lost in the forest, she meets a little white wolf pup who she friends. After that first meeting with the pup, her family goes back to New York and they never return to the cabin. After 13 years later, Paige cannot get that white pup out of her mind. Then something happens which forces Paige to return to the cabin only to run into a man named, Riley.
Did I feel connected to the characters? I liked
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

I find werewolf stories usually to be less interesting as vampires / witches, mostly because they tend to have pretty basic core, and little originality. The Howling Heart proved me very, very wrong. The author has been inspired by Norse culture and ancient folklore to craft a rather impressive werewolf legend that definitely ranks high on the originality ladder.

Paige, our main character, had it all. Climbing the corp
Amber
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Im not really sure where to start on my review for The Howling Heart, to be honest Im still not really sure what I think of it. The book has lots of potential. I love reading paranormal as its one of my favorite genres to read. April Bostic is a great writer, that can be seen with in the story. I loved the story line and characters, I wanted more information at certain parts of the story, more about some of the characters and scenes that were presented to us. I dont know if there will be a seque ...more
JadeShea
The Howling Heart begins when Paige gets a call about something bad happening to her father. Now, she must go back tot he cabin she left so many years ago. But strange things are happening to her, and she can't seem to understand what's going on with everyone especially when the talk of wolves comes up.

This book was not for me. I felt like the story didn't make a whole lot of sense, and it was very hard to connect with the characters. I was annoyed with the way the heroine acted for part of it.
Farrah
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what to say about this book. It was rather unusual. But, in a way that kind of worked. So, part of me is slightly bewildered, but the rest of me really enjoyed this book. And that's how I feel about every part of it. Strange, yet oddly amazing. The Howling Heart was a lovely paranormal romance. I really liked this book.

Paige was a nice heroine. She's just been offered the promotion of a lifetime, when her father's death takes her away and she ends up in Black River. And, once there,
Shera (Book Whispers)
Even with the male lead crying and emotionally blackmailing the lead into staying with him I might have been OK. Because as the book progresses Riley, the male lead, does prove himself. The hopeless romantic in me really starts to believe his case of love at first sight. Despite some of the minor sexism and the . . . rushed pacing. Where each event feels like:
And then. And then. And then. And then. And more and then!

Paige and Riley have chemistry. It's hot! The world of the Varuvl—also known as
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-ebook
The Howling Heart by April Bostic is an adult paranormal romance. It follows Paige Donovan – a young woman who just finds out that she inherited a cabin in Colorado after her dad dies. She takes bereavement leave from her exciting job at a fashion magazine in New York to check on the condition of the cabin.

During her stay in Colorado, Paige has a car accident and is rescued by a hunky guy named Riley. He and his family take care of her until she recovers. Paige discovers that Riley, and everyone
Stephanie- The Boyfriend Bookmark
This book was anything but what I was expecting. Yes, I knew it was a paranormal romance that involved werewolves, but I just wasn’t expecting this. It was such a great love story that started with young children. But one of them happened to be part wolf.

Paige is on track to have the career of her dreams in New York. But with the sudden loss of her father, she is left dealing with the emotions and issues that arise from a death in the family. But more than that, when it’s time to read his will,
Kimber Wheaton
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

The Howling Heart opens with a frequent memory that plagues main character Paige, an event that occurred thirteen years ago at the family cabin in the woods. Soon after she learns her father has died and she is now the owner of said cabin. She feels a strong pull to return, one that she can't rationalize or ignore.

Paige is emotionally fragile when she arrives in the Colorado small town. She just lost her father and also caught
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to say that I love reading books about werewolves but this was a different take on wolves and the origin in which they came from. I also love reading about Norse Gods because the Scandinavian history is so strong and so diverse that I found myself delving in deep with this book and I could not have been happier.

Paige has just graduated from college and is determined to be at the top of her career and no matter what happens she will work her butt of to get there. So as she is working
Adrienne Woods
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Howling Hearts by April Bostic was a refreshing read. It is not your typical Werewolf story and I have to admit, I really enjoyed this one.

April has created characters that you can relate to, fall in love with, and want to hear from again. I love her ontake on werewolves, were humans can change into wolves, she did it the other way around. Wolves can change for a amount of time into humans.

The story follows Paige, a woman that has everything. An awesome job at the posh magezine Elle, a boyfriend
Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Favorite Lines "You’re proof not all humans are bad, so it wouldn’t make sense to hate all of you.”

“Please…I…beg you. Give me…a chance…to love you.”

“I would die…before…I let anyone…have you.”

“I want you to listen to me. I’m glad you came. I’ve loved every day we spent together…from the first day we met to this moment, now. I’m happiest when I’m with you. I don’t want you to have any regrets, because I don’t.”

What a fabulous Varulv love story! This is a love we all hope to have and wish to experi
Jara Beaubien
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Was given this book and promised a honest review..

I have read enough of shifters be them wolves or bears ar even birds, this one was different, not unlike the ones I have read before yet the same, a lovely story.
Paige Donovan as child met a wolf pup when she tried to run away from home, befriending the young pup she almost met his family but was found by her parents and the local authorities.
Now years later, she finds herself dreaming about this pup she met and the vacation home in Colorado.
At w
Becky Kozera
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Paige has spent her life climbing the corporate ladder to get to her dream job. She is finally offered her dream job. After her offer her life is turned upside down. Her dad passes away and leaves her the cabin in Colorado. She returns to the cabin against her moms request. This cabin hold many dreams for Paige of her childhood. She has to decide if she is going to keep the cabin or sell it. She finds out the Black River is not the town that she thought that it was. There are many secrets hidden ...more
Andrea Heltsley
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, this book was very enjoyable. I love shifter stories, especially shifter romances. Paige was a fun character. I loved following her journey.
The concept was solid. I was intrigued enough to keep turning the pages. Quinn was a great character as well. I loved her sass, strength, and loyalty.
I only have two complaints of this story and that is why I deducted a star.
1. Riley. He is the love interest for Paige. I'm okay with vulnerable guys, but he was a head case it felt like. On
A.R. Von
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun, exciting, romantic and original paranormal romance that many fans of the genre are going to fall in love with!

I really liked Paige’s character right from the start. So much sadness, loneliness and hurt from childhood to adulthood. Then to happiness, success and a love filled life. She’s a great character that I’m sure all readers will adore.

Riley knew who his mate was for over ten years. Meeting her at a very young age only to have her pulled away from him and not to see her again for age
Tina
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Page was a little girl, she went on vacation with her mom and dad out I the middle of no where. Pages parent's did nothing but fight, so Page decided to run away from them. she packed a bag and ran. She ran straight onto a white wolf!!!
Here comes the bonding even though
she has no idea.

Quite an interesting situation Paige has found herself in. She is plotting whether she is stay put in. She has no idea if she will be staying in black and river. She is so confused. She has sick an amazing jo
Phoenix
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given this book by Debra Presley at Book Enthusiast Promotions for an honest review.

This was a very fast read. Some parts were a little bit of a reach for me but overall it was a good story line with sexy scenes. I love the ending and really hope there is going to a part two. The ending left me with so many possibilities for a second book, so I say bring it on Bostic!

For more reviews, go to bbsbookreviews.com
Theodora Catalina
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it

The Howling Heart

Paige Donovan is an ambitious college graduate who aspires to reach the top of the corporate ladder. She’s climbing fast when given the promotion of a lifetime at a prestigious fashion magazine in New York City. Her bright future comes to an unexpected halt after news of her father’s death. She inherits his old cabin in the Colorado Rockies, and just when she thinks her luck couldn’t get any worse, she has a car accident in the mountains and
Kat
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Those with an open mind
*Gifted in exchange for my honest review for a Book Blitz*

I must have read a different book than all these high ratings?

This book took me longer to read because I was constantly writing notes about it... like there's an essay on my kindle.

Now you may be a reader that enjoys this book so its up to you to decide whether you want to give it a try. but these are my views:

Plot
Female from the City - Check
Wilderness - Check,
Weird backwood town - Check,
Wolves - Check - now this is where it gets a bit
Becca
2.5 stars out of 5

Umm…I was not excepting that.

Song Choice: “I Miss You” by Blink 182, “Matter of Time” by Cartel

First Two Warnings: This is an adult book, meant for those over the age of 18 years of age, kay? Cool. Second warning…thing I received this book as part of a blog tour in exchange for an honest review and that is what I will be.

First Thoughts: When I started this I was really intrigued, I mean I am a werewolf fanatic it’s a bit of a problem to be perfectly honest, anyways, this did
Barbara Ann
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Howling Heart is a sweet paranormal romance about the depth of love between two individuals from vastly different social worlds who must overcome almost impossible obstacles to find their way to each other. Along the way, this young couple will have to risk everything that’s familiar and safe to them to find happiness, and a pervading question throughout the book is how much Paige is willing to sacrifice for a man who loves her so deeply, it’s almost heartbreaking at times.

I would place this
Joann
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first journey into April Bostic’s work, so I had no clue what to expect, but I’ve been on a shifter kick as of late, so I was determined to give it a shot. I was glad I did! This lady had the wolves down pretty well. It’s not the best shifter book that I’ve ever read, but certainly not the worst either.
Riley and Paige meet as children, she a human and he a pup. She’s escaping a crappy childhood, running from parents that care more about fighting with each other, than the welfare of t
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Not too sensitive wolf romance lovers.
Shelves: read-in-2013, arc
Originally posted at:
Nocturnal Predators Reviews

* An eARC was provided in exchange of an honest review

Immediately after I read the synopsis I just had to read this book. The story line seemed so good and I love wolf stories so it would be a win-win situation. Fortunately for me, the author had a book tour still open for reviews. I jumped on the boat and started reading right away.

The first 55% of the book was amazing. Riley was adorable and Paige was a little annoying and air headed, but I could
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)

This is an incredibly well written and enchanting paranormal romance story that I enjoyed every single second of reading and couldn’t get enough of! Paranormal romance is my absolute favorite genre and this is by far one of the best ones I’ve read in quite a long time. This author has a way of weaving such a mystical and beautiful world where anything can and does happen and she really made this story come to life for me. I loved each and every single character and they were all so relatable th
Books A-Brewin'
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it

I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Out of all the paranormal and mythical creatures I have read about, werewolves always hold a special place in my heart. I think it's the whole shapeshifting thing. Being able to change from one thing to another seems like it could come in handy from time to time. Perhaps I just think humans are boring and am an animal lover. Who's to say.

This book opens on a girl having a dream about her past in which she encounters a wolf pup
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Enchanted
  • Knight of Flame
  • A Light in Dark Places
  • Jack: The Tale of Frost (Claus, #2)
  • Rift Healer
  • Yesterday (Yesterday #1)
  • Of Dreams and Shadow (Forget Me Not #1)
  • Madison's Song (Cassie Scot #5)
  • The Witch's Salvation
  • Midnight Masquerade
  • TaleSpins
  • An Actor's Life - A Short Story
  • Human No Longer
  • Silver Moon: The Complete Saga
  • The Lady and the Minstrel
  • Owlet (Society of Feathers, #1)
  • The Search for the Stone of Excalibur (The Chronicles of the Stone #2)
  • A Murder Country
April Bostic is a New Jersey-based, Adult Romance author who enjoys unleashing her creativity and letting her imagination run wild. Her love of romance books inspired her to become not just a reader, but also a writer. In December 2008, she self-published her first novel, a contemporary romance with a supernatural twist entitled "A Rose to the Fallen".

Her first short story, "Right Here, Right Now"