Start by marking “Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast Pillow Book” as Want to Read:
Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast Pillow Book

Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast Pillow Book

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  348 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
A pair of endearingly eccentric bachelors--in their fifties, and fraternal twins--own and operate a bed & breakfast establishment where people like them, the "gentle and bookish and ever so slightly confused," can feel at home. Hector and Virgil think of their B&B as a refuge, a retreat, a haven, where folks may bring their own books or peruse the brothers' own sub ...more
Published October 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast Pillow Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast Pillow Book

Petra
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this continuation of the story of the brothers, their friends, their B&B and the interesting story of mystery written between the pages.
All in all, the two Bachelor Brothers books are humorous, delightful and warm.
I recommend these books to anyone who enjoys quirky tales, quirky characters and quirky coincidences. This is not a novel with a straightforward story but a collection of short stories, diary entries, newspaper clippings, recipes and book recommendations.
Kathryn
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is a continuation of the first book Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast. I didn't find this one quite as charming. It touched on some subjects that I just felt weren't necessary. Call me a prude, just somethings don't need to be in a book that is supposed to be quaint and charming. Oh well, I've read them both and don't need to read the third.
Janet Gardner
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Years ago, I read the original BBB&B, and when I saw this book I remembered absolutely nothing about the first one except that I enjoyed it. Now I remember why I liked it. It’s sweet without being cloying, literate (and literary) without being stuffy, and clever without being overly dense or difficult. It's just a nice, pleasant little read. This second volume takes us through a year or so in the lives of fifty-something bachelor brothers Hector and Virgil, proprietors of a bed and breakfast ...more
Gigi Muirheid
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
a charming book. I loved the ending. All sorts of literary allusions for a former English teacher to enjoy. I haven't read the first book but read this one first since it was available in the library. I need to read the first one now.
Patricia
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
On our cold and dreary Thanksgiving day, after the usual too much delicious food at noon dinner, I adjourned to the quietness of my living room to finish this book that my bff had taken out on our town’s inter library loan. “ Read it quick” she said, “ I want to pass it on to others in the book club.”

The characters, human and animal, the biblio references the setting on an island in a forest in northwestern USA, the silly poems, the awkward situations……what fun.

What would happen if Red Green,
Plum-crazy
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book......perhaps not quite as much as the first one but then it did have a lot to live up to. Once again there were too many amusing incidents to mention here, Caedmon & his silent rooster & the poems of Solomon Solomon must make everyone smile 😀
Let's hope this isn't the last in the series.

Jacinta Carter
This wasn't as good as the first Bachelor Brothers' novel, but a lot of that is due to the characters taking too much time to repeat the key points of the first book. Some of the stories within this book were humorous, but some of them just started to feel a little repetitive.
Tracy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just like Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast, this is a light, literate, fun read. Enjoy this author's voice very much. You may have to be in a certain frame of mind to enjoy it to its fullest, but I certainly did.
Elizabeth
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, fiction, lgp
Another delightful sojourn with the Bachelor Brothers - while this book does have more of an overall narrative arc, I would still recommend reading the original BBB&B first to get the best feel for the characters. Smart, literary, and wonderful.
Bonnie
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a funny, charming, clever, eclectic, erudite book. Enjoyed it, loved the characters and their relationships and the story was a hoot.
Kathy
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A charming book. The Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast continues to be a cozy place to visit.
Gina
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Absolutely loved the first one, but couldn’t finish this, maybe I’m just in a phase of life that clashes with it.
Lana.
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light-hearted and humorous collection of diary entries, recipes, and observations from the Virgil and Hector, the two bachelor brothers who run a bed and breakfast.

While there is a story arch, this book is probably best viewed as fun companion for those who have read the the original _Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast_ or as a brief sampler to the BB's lives.

Very entertaining in a gentle way.

Have tried the receipe for Betty Bundy's Bacehlor Buttongs, but it didn't work - so I'll have t
Garlan ✌
Another light, whimsical read from Richardson. These are mostly small vignettes; observations and short anecdotes about life at a B&B set somewhere in (far) western Canada. The stories are nearly all humorous, some bordering on the fantastic (as in unbelievable), but all entertaining. Its not going to win any major literary awards, but sometimes you just need a quick, light, fun read. Closer to a 3 1/2 rating.
Michelle
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I could have easily put 2 stars............. but it made me laugh out loud (nearly out loud - I had to hold it in because my back was really sore).
What a quirky little novel. Very odd. Some great characters. Very interesting chapter headings.
Has a lot to recommend it - but not to anyone who needs to be sucked straight into a book. This needs to grow on you.
PS. should state that I never got to read the first book. Is not available in the libraries where I am.
Susan
Jul 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just as charming, and even more whimsical than its predecessor, this follows the doings of twins Virgil and Hector and their friends, including a new presence at the Canadian island b and b. This time, the brothers are targeted by a vindictive magazine editor, gain a new relative, learn more about their mother's friend Solomon Solomon, the noted poet, and each try a new experience.
Miki
Jul 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
There should be an additional grading system for odd books. Maybe question marks - one? for "Not very Odd", two?? for "Rather Odd", three ??? for "Definitely Odd", four ???? for "Distinctly Odd" and five for "Was There a Point To This?". This book is a definite ?????
Amy-Karen
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
What a find at the library booksale!! (bag of books for $1...) So well written, such eccentrically wonderful characters, so many literary references. A real gem. Written by Bill Richardson of NPR's Canadian version "As You Like It". Was quite funny at times, too. Part of a series.
Bev
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is SO funny! And the Bachelor Brother's reminded me so much of an older friend that I have. I could just hear him saying the dialogue.
Donna
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(They're back!) Very good, very funny.
Jackie
Shelves: ss-lib
Reading list
Margaret
Jun 09, 2008 rated it liked it
I didn't think it was as good as the first. I think they were deep in their cups. Very impressed with themselves and their ways with words. If you like strange conincidences you might enjoy it.
Shahara LeFay
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Hilarious! And endearing. I'd finished the first and was a few chapters into this before I wondered if it was fiction! Hope for a trilogy.
Mary
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
Though I still enjoyed reading about the two eccentric bachelor brothers, this book was just not as good as the first one. I think Solomon Solomon killed my interest.
Pat
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: super-good
More of the same as the first book.
Great.
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was another great Bachelor Brothers installment. Very entertaining reading, with exceptional writing.
Jane
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not having read the first Bachelor Brothers' B & B this was my first introduction to Hector and Virgil. I really enjoyed the humour and clever writing. All the eccentric characters come alive.
Bekki
Jan 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Clearly, I am NOT the demographic this book was intended for....Perhaps in another 40 years I would find this book interesting....Perfect for old ladies...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Mrs. Roberto: Or the Widowy Worries of the Moosepath League
  • How to Be a Canadian
  • Stories from the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #1)
  • Asesinato en el «Canadian Express»
  • Sunlight on the Lawn
  • Dinner Along the Amazon
  • Rare Birds
  • The Irish R. M
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • The Bubble Reputation
  • Unbound (A Booklover's Mystery, #2)
  • The Last Wild Wolves: Ghosts of the Rain Forest
Bill was born and grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba on a quiet little street. He admits to being a shy kid, a quality that has carried over into his adulthood. With his two brothers and the neighborhood children, Bill would play hide and seek, red rover and tag. They got into the usual sorts of mischief: garden raids and snowball fights.

Bill has always taken comfort in reading. As a child his tastes w
More about Bill Richardson

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
“When did "sentimental" become a pejorative barb? I do not at all share the notion that a piece of music, or a poem, or a film that bypasses the brain and aims straight for the heart . . . should automatically be heaped with scorn. I think it is symptomatic of a sad and dangerous impoverishment of spirit.” 2 likes