Start by marking “Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes” as Want to Read:
Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes

Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,314 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
This is the ultimate gourmet, living foods "uncookbook" for busy people. You don't have to sacrifice taste or style to reap the benefits of raw foods. These delectable, easy recipes emphasize fresh, animal-free ingredients and how to include more organics into your daily diet. Chef Ani offers delicious raw, animal-free versions of: breakfast scrambles, pancakes, chowders, ...more
Published May 7th 2007 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ani's Raw Food Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ani's Raw Food Kitchen

Christy
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookery
To be fair, I'm not a person who believes that a raw-food diet is superior to a "normal" diet, so I'm reviewing this from the perspective of someone who once had a weird but kind of good experience at a raw food restaurant and was momentarily inspired to order this book -- possibly by the organic wine I was served with dinner.

Anyway, I read through the whole thing and was motivated to go out and buy carob powder, agave syrup, more flax seed, etc. so I could try a few of these recipes. They look
Amy
We are pretty much a meat-free household here, and have been experimenting with various non-carnivorous points of view to broaden our dining experiences. Raw food came on the horizon for several reason recently. We're not convinced to take the plunge, but it's certainly added a new aspect to the possibilities for dinner. Ani's recipes (or at least the ones I've tried) are tasty and liked by us both. I still think it's a little weird to call things mylk or cheeze, just like I object to soy or mus ...more
Vanessa
Mar 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
i regret buying this book; i was sucked in by the exotic ingredients and photographs. i'm not an amazing cook, but not horrible either, and my attempts at making recipes from the book were a fail. but really, all that is almost beside the point. what really bothers me about this book is that the author presents a lot of 'nutritional information' despite not being an authority on the matter nor citing any - it's irresponsible. also, this gem: 'honey's not vegan, but it's bee-gan!', by way of just ...more
Vanessa
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Finally, approachable raw food recipes that don't require 1-week to prep time to soak, sprout and dehydrate your dinner. I like her non-dogmatic approach and suggestions for non-raw foodies to heat recipes. I had a sinus infection and did a cleanse and ended up craving raw foods so I picked up her cookbooks. Not a seasonal or local eating plan during an east coast winter, but these raw meals feel nurturing and embody what winter lacks- sunshine, juiciness and energy. I'm addicted to the strawber ...more
Hillary
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
She has a lot of great, yummy foods. Some of the recipes are heavy on the olive oil, but that's an easy fix. My favorites are the garlic walnut soup and the kale-cabbage slaw (I make this about once a week). What I don't like about the book are her little commentaries about not eating meat, being green, etc., and all the pictures of Ani. Those feel a bit self-serving, but the recipes are great, so skip over the annoying stuff.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
Jul 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: health
TCL Call #: 641.563 Phyo

Madeleine - 1 star
OK. I recognize that you might need special equipment to prepare an all raw diet but how about you mark the recipies that don't require it so that people new to the idea don't just close your book automatically when it seems ever recipe calls for a dehydrator or a Vita-Mixer? Oh - and I'm thinking maybe less photos of you.
bonnie
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I was looking for raw food "cookbooks," I picked this one up, was drawn to it, and then looked at the reviews on Amazon. While most seem to like it, there were a significant number who panned her for, among other things, narcissism, preachiness, and lack of photos of her recipes (instead, she has black-and-white photos of herself). Some even said the recipes were gross.

So I decided not to buy it immediately, and I looked around for others that were less controversial. But I kept coming back
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, nonfiction
One day flipping through some vegan cookbooks, and saw this. The sandwich on the cover looked so yummy I had to check the book out of the library. My emotions are mixed about raw foods, mostly because it lacks any scientific basis. But I do feel like there is SOMETHING about raw foods that is good for you.

With that said, I feel like Ani Phyo hits or misses in the cookbook. Some of the problem is from Ani's lack of description of the recipes. Her recipes are suppose to be for the everyday, and in
Sherry
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, cookbook
Admittedly, I've been skeptical of the whole raw food trend, but I have to say I appreciated the relative simplicity and efficiency of these recipes. The coconut pancakes were quite tasty and some of the soup and entree recipes sound quite yummy. The author is a former pastry chef, a living foods enthusiast for a decade and, based on the shameless plugs throughout, co-founder of Smart Monkey foods. She has street raw food cred. A few things, however, detracted from my enthusiasm about this cookb ...more
Jayme
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to add more raw foods to their diet
A few things to watch out for before buying this:
1. Many of the recipes call for a lot of oil - not a problem for me but I know a lot of people watch out for this. The amounts of oil can always be cut back though.
2. Hard to find/expensive ingredients - ie. vanilla beans, dates, and hemp products - these may be easier to find elsewhere in the world but I had trouble with them. The only vanilla beans I've found cost a fortune and Phyo's recipes toss them around like they grow on trees...oh wait, t
Jenn "JR"
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: raw foods enthusiasts, vegans, foodies
Shelves: cookbooks
Is it just me or are authors of raw foods recipe books unusually narcissistic with their excessive use of photos of themselves looking pretty and eating food? It's not just Ani - but Juliano, Matthew & Sarma ("Raw Food Real World" - on that note - who sits on the floor of the kitchen, backs to the stove - to eat food?). Based on the ego factor alone - I would usually avoid buying a book.

Ani, however, has a huge following and I watched a lot of her videos on YouTube - she's chirpy & bubbl
Renee
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
An old fave, I bought this probably not long after it was released almost 10 years ago. Plenty of faves in this... but first, the complaints! Too much oil in quite a few of the recipes for my taste, especially the soups, but it's easy to leave most of it out without having to make many adjustments... With a little nutritional yeast added, the cheezes go from great to amazing.

Many of the smoothies and mylks are still amongst my faves to this day... although these days I usually reduce the sweete
Ronald
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Vegetarians, Raw Food'ists, Carnivores looking for healthy side dishes
Shelves: cookbooks
If you're equipped with a powerful blender, a food processor, and some raw veggies, this is the perfect companion! Ani gives the reader recipes of all things mock--chicken, eggs, tuna, salmon, etc--in a non time consuming manner in addition to original recipes to make soups, salads, and even desserts. There are a few recipes I make on a weekly basis and I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to experiment with a new eating style. I was surprised how much better I felt after eating a raw d ...more
Tina Cipolla
Jul 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
I like the whole raw food concept. This book however, was NOT the book for me on this topic. I read cookbooks cover to cover. So I actually read all the little snippets and asides that the author throws in. By page 50 I was wanting this chick to just shut up already. I wanted fresh ideas for salads and interesting ways of combining raw vegetables, instead I was subjected to the author blathering on about the environment and what types of businesses she feels good supporting. And the recipes...I ...more
Bobbi
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I’m hopeless and a lost cause in the kitchen. I’m trying to eat healthier and Sandy (my coworker) has convinced me that raw food is the way to go. This book gets a little preachy at times about being vegan and raw, but there are so many easy recipes to try once you get past that. What I like about this cookbook is that you don’t actually have to cook anything. The majority of it is cutting or blending and I can definitely do that. All of the food is fresh and living, which are supposed to make y ...more
Sarah Jane
I've been messing about in the kitchen with this book for a few days now, and I'm really liking that she's doesn't use a dehydrator very often in her recipes, because I don't have one yet! The philosophy here seems to be that fresh is the best. She even makes a distinction between "raw" and "living" foods which I found to be quite interesting. It's a pretty hardcore way of looking at the raw lifestyle, maybe even a bit extreme, but it's definitely different than any other book I've come across.
Shannon
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I have made many of the recipes in this book and was surprised at how good most of them were. With a lot of raw food books, they can be hit or miss because the author has a different palette. I especially like her vanilla "mylk", stuffed anaheim chiles with mole sauce and the sun-dried tomato marinara. Like most raw food books, you do need some equipment such as a food processor and high speed blender but many people have these items so it is a little more user-friendly.
Rhen Khong
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you're into raw foods I'd recommend you pick up this one. Ani talks about the raw philosophy and the benefits of going raw. I've learned a ton from it. She'll tell you what kind of foods she stocks in her kitchen. I had a hard time personally with finding some of the ingredients, as if you've been eating meat most of your life, you'll be introduced to new types of food through this book. It's a great aid, and I reference it everytime I prepare a raw meal.
Jul 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a nice start for someone just getting interested in raw food. It's not incredibly heavy with information, but that meant it wasn't too daunting to start. I wanted to pick up a book, read it and start trying raw cuisine that day-ok, it ended up being the next day but it still was a quick start.

It did leave me wanting more information, so I went out and bought a couple more-but I have made 5 or 6 things so far that I'm sure I will make again, so I think it's a good investment.
Cathy Douglas
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, reference-books
I appreciate this book for introducing me to the raw foods alternative, and there's some good information about food preparation and general clean living. But the recipes aren't that good, overemphasizing nuts and fake versions of standard foods. (Spare the kream, mylk, and cheeze, pleeze!) It's also got way too many photos of the author. I got it because it was on the shelf at the Co-op where I shop, but there are better books on the subject out there.
Andrea
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: healthy people with kitchens
Shelves: food
Well, I actually saw her on YouTube doing a few recipes that have ingredients I like.

You should search for her and subscribe. What's also cool about her is that she does web design books, too!

But I haven't read the entire cookbook yet. I'm giving it a four because I'm really happy with her concept, how fast it is to learn from her YouTube, and because she is excited about eating healthy.
Crnbryeggshls
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first accessible raw "cookbook" I have come across. The recipes are easy to prepare, especially if you already cook from scratch on a regular/semi-regular basis. Best of all, they actually taste good. Whether you are an experienced raw cook looking for recipes that won't frighten off your friends and family, or just experimenting with new cuisine, this book is a great buy.
susie Marie
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
surprisingly, not as vile as expected. especially if you love eating dates and using your food processor. including recipes for your dog, the canine-american.

the most annoying thing about this book is the piercing on her face that looks like a crumb that should be flicked. i keep trying, but it just won't go away.

Beth
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan
This book helped me incorporate more raw food into my vegan diet. I make the smoothies, soups and nut scrambles on a regular basis. I usually reduce the oil and sweetener in recipes, but I love the prevalence of raw garlic!

Yes, she does talk a lot about herself, but I appreciated hearing her reasons for following a raw lifestyle and some of the benefits she's experienced.
Mari
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite raw book so far. It has great, simple ideas. Good for anyone who wants to add a little more fresh food into their diet. It also contains lots of interesting info about using more of what we have, composting, recycling, etc. I think I'll have to buy it, I can only renew it from the library so many times.
Linette
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Raw food is all about blending foods in a food processor- very appealing in the heat of summer. I can't believe the amount of nuts they eat- it isn't for the budget conscious. This cookbook seems to be designed around showing you how hot she is... lots of pictures of her running on the beach. But the book makes incorporating more raw foods into your diet seem easy, and that is good.
Sara
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
at this point i think i have read most of this book, cookbook is hard to do cover to cover. many great ideas that i have incorporated into my diet. go a little less on her desire for garlic and sweeteners, i think some people overdo it with raw food by overburdening the food with the dominant flavor of a dish, trying to capture the cooked item it is emulating.
Teresa
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is like Healthy Life Kitchen in that I will never make any of the recipes as prescribed. Either the prep requires a machine I don't have, or my Kroger doesn't carry one of the hippie ingredients. However, this book makes you excited about healthy food (aka fruits and veg), and excitement is necessary in the day to day battle of getting healthy.
Pamela
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Too much preaching, not enough original content. Too many photos of the author, and hardly any of the food! The center of the book has some color photos, but that's not enticing to me if it's not next to the recipe. I just didn't care for her style of writing -- not the book for me, nor would I recommend it to anyone else.
Sheila
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This was a great intro to Raw foods or living food. I am not really on that path but open to new food ideas and recipes and have tried a few in here and they are tasty and a nice change from our usual fare.
  • Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life
  • Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow
  • Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
  • Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
  • Living Cuisine: The Art of Spirit of Raw Foods
  • The Complete Book of Raw Food: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Party Vegan: Fabulous, Fun Food for Every Occasion
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Vegan Yum Yum Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • The Raw 50: 10 Amazing Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Drinks for Your Raw Food Lifestyle
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Raw Food: A Complete Guide for Every Meal of the Day
  • Vegan Express
Ani Phyo is an organic eco chef, author, whole food and sustainable agriculture advocate and founder of SmartMonkey Foods. Phyo's book, Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Food Recipes published by Marlowe & Company, is in its 8th printing. She is a well-known advocate of the raw foodism lifestyle promoting uncooked and unprocessed foods that are organic, sustainable, and supports ...more