Start by marking “The Adventure of Creation (Think Sideways Writers Anthology #1)” as Want to Read:
The Adventure of Creation (Think Sideways Writers Anthology #1)

The Adventure of Creation (Think Sideways Writers Anthology #1)

WITH A FOREWORD BY HOLLY LISLE

Follow a girl to the Below-World to slay the Sharkshadow, or help a timid girl to overcome the destructive criticism of her art teacher. Witness a solitary drone on Mars or a naive homunculus struggle to become human. Sew with a mother who lost her daughter in a unicorn quilt, defeat bank robbing super-villains with an unlikely superhero, or j
Published July 24th 2013 by Independent Bookworm (first published July 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventure of Creation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventure of Creation

Start your review of The Adventure of Creation (Think Sideways Writers Anthology #1)
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit to a bias - I have a story in this anthology and had the opportunity to read all the stories pre-publication.

That said, I think there is a lot to like in this book. There are short stories in many genres including literary, sci-fi, fantasy, horror. Some are romantic. Some are tragic. Some are just a rolicking good read. If you're looking for some excellent short fiction to read as you relax by the pool this summer, you can't go wrong with this one.
Tom Vetter
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
An author's update:

After buying several copies as soon as it was available, I've read every story in this anthology, many of them more than once. I have to say that every story in it offered a very imaginative and very different take on the unifying theme; and there wasn't what I'd consider an undeserving tale in the book. It surpassed my expectations, and presented me with a number of authors whose works I very much want to read, and whose writing careers I will follow.

My own story, "Crazy Uncl
Siva Kumar S A
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Adventure of creation is one of the few anthologies I have read.The stories belong to a wide spectrum of genres from fantasy to science fiction to real world.And the stories are very different form each other there are stories laced with humor as well stories with dark undertone.
The stories are fresh and are neatly created but I felt some stories lack detail and depth in narration.
I will list some of my favorite stories from the anthology.
After the fire:
The story follows the interaction betw
Katharina Gerlach
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Of course, I cannot be purely objective with this book since it contains one of my own stories, but I loved it. I rarely get the chance to read an anthology where I like ALL stories. Of course, there were some that I favored but there wasn't a single bad story in the whole book.

What awed me was that the anthologist, Holly Lisle, managed to pick winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd plus 2 Honorary mentions). With the quality of the stories, I wouldn't have been able to. Let's hope that there will be many mo
Sally Stackhouse
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was sent this anthology published by the Independent Bookworm in exchange for my honest review. It is an anthology of stories from the students of writing teacher Holly Lisle who writes a forward to the anthology and also chose first, second and third place stories.
Holly’s first placed story starts the anthology, the second story is the one that received third place and the second places story ends the anthology. One story received an Honorary Mention.
In total there are 35 stories with a them
Anna Tan
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, review-copy
Taking you on a wild romp through the imagination, The Adventure of Creation features 35 short stories written by students of Holly Lisle's How To Think Sideways course.

Whilst every story is centred around the theme of creation, there's no one specific genre being featured. Fantasy worlds, magical kingdoms and fairy tales nestle side by side with science fiction, realism and slice-of-life pieces. Love stories and tragedies make you tear up even whilst others tell of things that make you cringe.
Faith
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
As with all anthologies, there were stories I liked and stories I didn't like. There were even a couple that I recognized were well-written, but just didn't click for me.

Overall, I want to note a couple issues - one, the stories seemed to be arranged fairly randomly. I would have liked to see a little more flow between them, particularly as they were all different genres. And second, the stories had a very short wordcount limit, which some of them struggled with.

There were too many stories to re
Connie Cockrell
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I loved these stories. First of all, short stories fit into a busy schedule. I can read one when I'm waiting for something, then put the book down and come back later when I have the time.

Secondly, the stories are all awesome and come in so many genre's there's sure to be one that is your favorite. If you're looking for a little escape from the everyday, pick up this book. You'll be glad you did.
Juneta Key
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All these stories were well written and enjoyable. This is great for reading sitting in a doctors office waiting or wherever or short read at night or to take on a trip laying by the pool. This was by far one of the best short story anthologies I have read.
Lauren Thompson
Jul 12, 2013
Laura Thurston
Jul 16, 2013
Taven Moore
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Cathy Keaton
Nov 20, 2018
J.P. Brindley
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written-by-me
Sally Jane Driscoll
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jimena Novaro
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Steve Hall
Jun 10, 2014
Meggin Cody
Mar 28, 2015
Lyn
Vanessa Wells
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
C.l.
Nadia V
Mar 06, 2014
Autumn Kalquist
Angela Mcgill
Jul 20, 2013
Paul Behan
rated it did not like it
Jun 25, 2018
Emma O.
Jul 19, 2014
Harrison Vetter
Apr 28, 2015
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t

News & Interviews