Start by marking “Memorizing You” as Want to Read:
Memorizing You

Memorizing You

Two high school boys from different walks of life: Ryan, a handsome athlete, and David, an average joe from a blue collar family, discover their desires, stealing their kisses under the cover of an old oak at night. Their love begins a secret life, hidden from their families, friends, and classmates. As their passion grows, so does the danger of their discovery. Their only ...more
Published July 9th 2013 by Cerberus Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Memorizing You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memorizing You

Start your review of Memorizing You
Baba
5+++ memorable stars. Review completed October 7, 2013. Review edited June 2015

photo oie_SkOnXqk89wIL_zpsobv1ogsh.jpg
 photo oie_Ugwnu37rOrA6_zpspxbawk0n.png

Beautiful. Emotional. Evocative. Authentic. Just…bloody good! Let's spread some love for this A-mazing book because it's easily one of the best I've read this year it's my all-time favorite YA M/M read.

Update:
My reaction after I finished my reread

This is why I'm still reading. I can read a couple dozen ridiculously bad books and then come back to something like this…a piece of romantic art, an act of the heart, and
T.A. Webb
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, usually I start with a recap so you get a taste of what the book feels like. Then I tell you what worked and didn’t work, and what touched me. Forgive me if I break a little from my usual style. This book has me all over the place, in a good way.

David is a regular kind of guy, and Ryan is a jock. They are both in high school in the sixties, when being gay was just not okay. They meet, the become friends, then more. Then life and hate and the times tear them apart. Life goes on. People move
Judith
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, best-m-m
Re read December 2015.Even though I knew what to expect,this book devastated me all over again....just amazing!!

I read loads of books but can honesty say that, to date, no book has made such an impression on me...

Right so , there is no way I can do this book justice in this review, but all I can do is write what I'm feeling right now after just finishing it...

It's a story of first love, hopes and dreams, formed friendships,families coming together, families torn apart but ultimately just an
LenaRibka
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody who has a heart on the right side
Recommended to LenaRibka by: I was inspired by the Baba's updates

First of all I want to thank my dear Baba, because her updates made me curious and awakened my interest in this book.
And then I want to thank JR who talked me into reading this book. In spite of my curiosity this book most likely would have never landed on my TBR without them.

Because of two reasons:

I am not a huge fan of young adult stories.
I am a HEA junkie.

It is why I want to say out loud:

Don’t be afraid to break down your own stereotypes.
I’m so glad that I gave this book a chance.
Nick Pageant
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m

Yeah, my, my such a sweet thing
I wanna do everything
What a beautiful feeling
Crimson and clover

I want to write a coherent, thoughtful review, but I just don't have it right now.

I loved this book, not because I thought it was full of beautiful prose or poetic imagery, but because I thought it had a total lack of artifice. It's a funny contradiction, those of us who strive to write are not trying to tell lies. We're trying to tell the truth about what life means. There are a million ways for a
Bev
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone...it's wonderful!!
Recommended to Bev by: Togainunochi's Review
This is without doubt one of the best books I've ever read, if not the best, an absolute treasure. A masterpiece of emotional writing, and I'm only sorry that I can give it 5 stars, but no matter, in my heart and in my head this book has millions of stars!!

This is the story of David and Ryan. It is a coming of age story, a first love story, it's the story of a young man's struggle with his sexual identity. A bittersweet and poignant tale of friendship gained, of love encouraged and nurtured
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FULL REVIEW

4.5 Wow......what a way to start the year.....YOU HAVE TO READ THIS stars!

photo image_zps1e49619e.jpg

Ok so you've probably read lots of other peoples reviews on this book so you don't really need me to tell you how bloody brilliant it is.......This is David's story. His story of first loves, first kisses, first hopes and first dreams. It's about two young men building their lives, discovering themselves and each other, a story about holding onto a secret love in a world that is against them.

It's a story
☆ Todd
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it

Fucking Chapter 30, ugh. I loved this book until that point.

The book was full of lovable characters and, most importantly, hope. Chapter 30 killed that completely.

Was it a good book, yes. Was every word after Chapter 29 a complete downer, yes.

I kept hoping and hoping, as the remaining pages grew shorter and shorter, that there would be *some* type of happy ending, but no. Over 40, unhappy and alone. (Probably) Forever. WTH?

If you're looking for a happy ending, please stick to Amy Lane.

PS -- I've
Mark
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Why haven't I read this book until now? What took me so long? I want the whole world to read this book, the whole world NEEDS to read this book. You can't possibly go through life without having read this book! Friends* have been telling me for a while to read this book, well all I can say is, "Listen to your friends!"

This story soars way above the normal romance trope either M/M or M/F in a class of it’s own. Maybe a sweeping statement I know, but that’s the way I feel. First class writing
Kol Anderson
His hand came from the shadows and found mine. Tender fingers entwined, squeezed gently.
“When the landscape of real life gets ugly, we can pick up a book of fantasy and find a beautiful world, all green and filled with sunshine.When we can’t find an end to something sad, there’s always a novel where everything turns out okay and makes us feel better about things. And even though we know they’re made up, we think that maybe there’s just a possibility, in spite of all the ugliness around us, we
JR
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every human on the planet
Shelves: romance, life, favorites
This is an amazing story, written with lyrical, vivid pictures of life. If you have ever wanted to know what coming of age was like in the turbulent, mind altering 60's, this is the book to read.

The story centers around the nerdy boy no one talks to Dave and the well liked jock Ryan. Ryan dreams of becoming a horticulturist, while Dave begins his own lawn mowing business.Their families are polar opposites. Dave comes from a very loving family, unfortunately, Ryan is the child not wanted, that
Ana
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I could feel the joy and the pain of a coming-of-age love in the 60s.
description
“I think you’re beautiful"“And you devastate me"
Well, this book has devastated me for real.

"Love really is…pure magic. It comes from”—she gestured toward the heavens—”out there. And it falls like pixie dust wherever it wants. And when it does…you can fly"

“When the landscape of real life gets ugly, we can pick up a book of fantasy and find a beautiful world, all green and filled with sunshine. When we can’
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books by: Kol Anderson
Shelves: favorites, m-m
I can barely form a thought right now. 5 stars is not enough. Ill review soon.
Sheziss
***I wrote this just after finishing the book. No recovery period, just my raw feelings.***

I feel like my heart wasn’t my own.

description

I feel like my heart was out of my body.

It feels dead.

description

But no, it’s not dead. It’s beating.

description

It’s beating so hard it makes my chest hurt.

I don’t understand that.

description

It feels like there was nothing inside.

description

Maybe that’s the natural thing, to feel nothing.

description

Because, really, we are all made of nothing.

description

Electrons are mostly nothing. Molecules are mostly nothing. So we are nothing too.

Why
Daniel
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
COUNTLESS SPECTACULAR STARS

[This review may contain spoilers.]

While I let my mind realise what I have just finished reading, I want to thank a few people:

- my amazing GR friend Marcie for recommending this book to me.

- Nick Pageant for staying by my side and offering me his special kleenex boxes.

- everyone commenting my updates and being a strong support for this short-timed but intense reading I have gone through.

- last by not least, Dan Skinner, for being such an outstanding writer and for
Isabel
I will write my review as soon as my tears stop falling...

I love this book and it is one of the best that I ever read! It is my first Dan Skinner book and I bought in the day that I read Lena's review! I was a little scared before I started it, because I knew that there would be tears. But to be honest, I loved its every single word, phrase and paragraph! It’s so well written… it is sublime… and it worth every tear!

There is one special quote that marked me more than the others, because it
Nic
This is one of the most emotional and beautifully written books that I have read in a long while and no review I could write would do it justice. This story touched my heart in every way. Reading was a deeply moving journey that ended in heartache and tears but I wouldn't change a minute of it.

There have been quite a few reviews written that capture the essence of this book perfectly so I am not going to say too much about the story other than emphasizing a few points.

Firstly, you MUST read this
Barbara
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m
I pick up this book because I saw great reviews about it, from Lena and Baba, and thought let me give it a try!! And Im so pleased … I did this!!

HOLY WOW! This BOOK was like a GIFT, allowed me to feel things so intensely.I could hardly contain myself, (I wanted to scream LOUD), only a few books hooked me the way this one did.

So to express what I felt, some of the quotes and pics I love, I cant put them all because I dont want to spoil anything!!

“Love isn’t indiscriminate. It makes the choices
Cory
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I just lost a few pounds in water weight from crying. What a beautiful, beautiful story. There is nothing that I can write that will do it justice.

I'm not even sure where to begin. The writing had a way of wrapping itself around you like a blanket and enveloping you directly into the story. Told through David's narration, you are taken on a journey of how he discovered his first true love in Ryan. How they initially met, intimate times they shared, friendships they created together, and
Silkeeeeeereads
Oh My God! I have never been this DEVASTATED by a book. I'm sick to my stomach and I don't think I will EVER forget this. The last 20% or so has been read with tears and snot streaming down my face. Where do I go from here? How do I pick up another book and move past this? I'm afraid I have MEMORIZED it and will forever gage other books in this genre next to this. ...more
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
"You can’t dream in the light, IF YOU CAN'T LIVE IN IT"

Simply Breath-taking

Dan Skinner held my heart in the palm of his hand. *shiver* I was absolutely lost in this exquisite story of Young love. First love. Secret Love.

This is David’s story told through his eyes….. and his love for Ryan.

Ryan dreams of becoming a horticulturist, but his dominant father has other ideas.

I adored every word, laugh, and silent moment shared between them. I laughed, smiled, and cried right along with them!

Em

I finished this book late last night and my eyes are still misting up thinking about it. I just know that Memorizing You is one of those books that will stay with me for a very long time. I loved every single beautiful word of it and even though I found the last 20% extremely tough going I'm so glad I read it and would urge everyone to give it a go.

I fell in love with David and Ryan. They had such a special bond and I enjoyed watching their relationship grow as time went on. They had such a
Jan

This is definitely going to be depressing and perhaps your better off not reading this, but still, I need to get this off my chest.
I feel heartbroken.
After witnessing the blossoming of such a beautiful relationship between David and Ryan, it was very difficult watching David settle for a “nice” relationship with another guy. Actually, it tore me apart. I felt like the “easy going, no drama, thoughtful in bed, affectionate and an invaluable influence in classical music” for many years were a
Smith Barney
..mumbles to self..that this should come with a warning label to have meds on board before reading

Personally, this was an emotionally difficult but very introspective reading journey as it crept up and caught me completely unawares..squeezing my unsuspecting heart.

I wish I could articulate or convey the full scope of what this evoked or represented to me, but I know that words would just fail me miserably.

This was not just another 'fictional' story. This came from the depths of someone's
Tina
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tina by: Bev

“Whatcha doing?” He smiled and blinked. “Memorizing you,” his voice said, dreamily.

Wow... just wow. What an amazing, outstanding book. I hope I'm going to find the words to express my emotions and my gratitude. OMG, I read the last 15 % with tears streaming down my face. Where do I go from here? How do I pick up another book and move past this?

Memorizing You is a story of a lifetime. David, a man in his fifties, is remembering Ryan, the love of his life. I don't really get why the story is
.Lili.
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
 photo image_zpsc60bfb29.jpg

There are no words that I can write that will do justice to this beautifully written coming of age story. It is the story of two boys who fell in love at a time when homosexuality was not accepted- it was meant to be kept a secret. It is an intense story that deals with loss, tragedy, love, pain, joy, and-

photo 851597_zps94201b86.gif
Hope of acceptance.

David and Ryan's story is told in first person from David's POV. It gripped me from the beginning. There were moments that were humorous and innocent but there were others
Olizia
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mm, oscuros, llorar
“Two souls…one heart…”

Sin duda uno de los mejores libros que he leído hasta el momento. Desde la primera página hasta el último capítulo la narración se mantiene impecable, tan apropiado el uso de cada palabra y cada frase que al finalizarlo quería releerlo. Eso sí, con el sentimiento de nostalgia acompañándome durante todo el viaje.

“When things are good, you want to hold them in that limbo. Freeze-frame them. Your head will make you believe it’s possible. Your heart will tell you that you
Lenore
Unpopular opinion ahead.

No detailed review or rating from me because I didn't finish it. So, just a couple of things:

Where others see a lean, lyrical style, I see dry, choppy prose that chooses to tell instead of show. I'm copying a random paragraph, around where I quit reading:

We passed out together on a lawn chair sometime after lunch, and woke up as the smell of dinner sifted through the air.
Someone had dragged a table with a pool umbrella over to shade us.
Funny how neither one of us heard a
Simon
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I downloaded this book on the strength of T.A. Webb and Bev's reviews and I am so glad I did. Such a well written and poignant story especially. This book ticked all the boxes and boy did I weep at the Epilogue. Beautiful, truly wonderful, I know whatever I read next just will not compare. One passage I must share:
"When the landscape of real life gets ugly, we can pick up a book of fantasy and find a beautiful world, all green and filled with sunshine. When we can't find an end to something
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
5++++ Pearl

A pearl it is.
My heart hurts and cries. What a beautiful written love (life) story this is.
Excellent, mindblowing, heartbraking, overwhelming, vulnerable, very sensitive, honest, sad, liberated, struggling, deep deep feelings. It's all there.
An outstanding story from one POV that gives you a look deep inside a humans life and his world around him. When he (David) meets the other half of his heart (Ryan) you see him grow and overcome his life. You see them grow to eachother and there
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Memorizing You, by Dan Skinner 1 62 Jan 16, 2014 11:43AM

• rock
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Shattered Glass (Shattered Glass, #1)
  • Glitterland (Spires, #1)
  • Gives Light (Gives Light, #1)
  • Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1)
  • Silent
  • Christmas Kitsch
  • A Surplus of Light
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • The Locker Room
  • Fearless
  • Carry the Ocean (The Roosevelt, #1)
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • Beyond the Sea
  • Perfect Imperfections
  • Five Dares
  • fawn
Dan Skinner is a new author who hates writing bios. He lives in St. Louis, Missouri, and has been a book cover artist for seven years.

Visit Dan's deviantart profile for more works of art.
“I wanted to tell everyone I was in love. I wanted to tell them how I felt. I wanted to scream if off the porch to complete strangers. It was a feeling that didn't want to be contained in the small privacy of my mind. Of course, I knew there would be no telling anyone. I'd heard the word so many times. But I'd never contemplated its meaning.
Love.
It hat explained itself to me. I was swept away by what it really meant. It was a word used to convey what had no language. It was a word used to explain a million things that couldn't be explained. It simplified what the heart could not.”
30 likes