Start by marking “Oliver and the Seawigs” as Want to Read:
Oliver and the Seawigs

Oliver and the Seawigs (A Not-So-Impossible Tale)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  950 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
Oliver grew up in a family of explorers - but his biggest adventure is about to begin!

Along with his new friends, a grumpy old albatross, a short-sighted mermaid and a friendly island called Cliff, Oliver goes off in search of his missing parents. But before he can put his rescue plan into action there's the evil Stacey de Lacey and an army of greasy, green sea monkeys to
Published September 5th 2013 by Oxford University Press

To ask other readers questions about Oliver and the Seawigs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oliver and the Seawigs

Ash Wednesday
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cool moms, dads, aunts, uncles and people
4.5 STARS
And then all of a sudden, there were too many monkeys.

I’m half-tempted to review this with Near-sighted mermaid! Talking Islands! Sarcastic Weeds! SEA MONKEYS! and leave it at that. Because really, if those things wouldn’t perk your interest then I cannot do much else. Also, I’m feeling a little out of my element critiquing a children’s book that is a straightforward adventure story with none of the subtext and metaphors where a broken mirror symbolises unfulfilled dreams and what-not
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Oliver Crisp. The new name in Super-guys. This kid totally rocks. He finally is getting a real home and before he even gets settled down he ends up having to find his wild exploration crazed parents.
He ends up teaming up with a near sighted slightly chunky mermaid named Iris. Who is completely awesome sauce. She doesn't care to sit around primping and singing like the other mermaid ho's. (No the book didn't call them ho's..I did.)

He also has help from a grumpy albatross and a wandering island n
Michelle Pickett
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My daughter is having trouble with the way reading is taught at her school. One method is taught there, while I taught her how to read before she started school using another method. This has caused a lot of confusion and some heavy self esteem issues for her. She doesn't feel "as smart" as the other kids because of her reading.

We read together everyday and then again at bedtime. She started reading Oliver and the Seawigs during her afternoon reading time. She read longer than I require her to..
Denise
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute story! It's very creative and the illustrations are wonderful. It's nice to see an adventure story geared toward younger readers. I do think the vocabulary is probably fairly challenging for its intended age group, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing--just something to be aware of if you're recommending it for a reluctant reader. Overall, I recommend it!

Thank you NetGalley for the advanced digital copy.
Diamond
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

"‘No, this is a completely different place," said Iris. "It's called the Sarcastic Sea, and sailors fear it because the weed keeps making horrid, hurtful comments about them.'"

This was an incredibly adorable book. When I first got invited to read this book, I had no idea what it was about. I saw the title, cover, and that it was middle grade, and said yep I'll give it a shot. I'm really glad I did. Because even th
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review

This was so cute! I really like the imagination in this book. It most certainly brought me back to when I was in elementary school.

Plot
Oliver Crisp's parent go missing while exploring an island, and its up to Oliver and a few friends he meets along the way, to rescue them

Characters
Very likable. I liked how you most certainly can relate to each character; even the bad ones haha.

Writing
Fantastic! I just love the imaginative twist
Alice Chandler
Absolutely loved this book. Don't think I have ever read a book so quickly. Lovely storyline that appeals to all readers and interests and characters that you can't help but build a bond with. Who would have thought you could feel sympathy for a rambling isle!! Brilliant illustrations that really add to the book while also telling a story themselves. Will definitely be recommending this one to children, family and friends, while also using within my teaching due to the endless cross-curricular o ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Englantilainen Philip Reeve on murtautunut mainioilla teoksillaan omien suosikkieni joukkoon lasten- ja nuortenkirjallisuuden sarjassa, ja niinpä päätin tarttua myös miehen uusimpien suomennosten joukkoon kuuluvaan kirjaan "Oliver ja meriperuukit" (Aurinko, 2017).

Oliver-nimisen jampan vanhemmat ovat kuuluisia tutkimusmatkailijoita, jotka ovat yhdessä kolunneet kaikki maailman kartoittamattomat kolkat ja kokeneet yhdessä hurjia seikkailuja. Poikaansa he ovat kuljettaneet mukanaan. Viimein perhe o
Reetta Saine
Laytonin, Pastisin, Walliamsin jne. jalanjäljissä käännetään aikamoisia määriä hyvin tyypillistä anglo-(poika)-huumoria, jossa mennään ja kohelletaan ja kuvaillaan kaikkea hassua äärimmäisen tarkasti siinä samalla. Joudutaan pulaan ja selvitään ja yksityiskoulujen heput on aina pahiksia. Mukana muutama nenännostaja-aristokraatti, josta luokkayhteiskunnassa elävät ymmärtävät päivitellä elämän tylyyttä.

Samaan kastiin nuorilta Poika nimeltä Joulu ja aika lähelle Ada Gootitkin, jotka kuitenkin pela
Barb Middleton
It's a bird... It's a plane... It's a seawig! A newfangled superhero you don't want to miss. Ten-year-old Oliver Crisp's parents ironically go missing the day they stop exploring and move into the old family home. Oliver is unpacking the car when his parents spy a bunch of islands in the bay. Jumping into a dinghy, they disappear along with the islands by the time Oliver sets out to rescue them. He sails out to a lone island and meets an albatross named, "Culpeper," who explains that the islands ...more
Helena
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seikkailuhenkeä ja suolatyrskyjä! Oliver ja meriperuukit on mainiosti kuvitettu ja kivalla tahdilla etenevä kertomus kahden tutkimusmatkailijan pojasta, joka joutuu lähtemään pelastusretkelle, kun vanhemmat katoavat vaeltavien saarten matkaan. Apuna Oliverilla on likinäköinen merenneito Iiris, ja vaeltava saari nimeltä Kari. Tarinassa oli jotakin sadunkaltaista ja käänteet eivät ole kovinkaan hurjia, eli tätä voisi suositella heti, kun lukutaito riittää kahdensadan (tosin pienen ja kuvitetun) si ...more
Siddharth Chakravarthy
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This story is a hilarious account of the adventures encountered by Oliver, who goes on a quest in search of his lost parents who are Mad Explorers.
The illustrations are spot on and they evoke laughter. The diverse set of characters worked out really well.

Altogether, it was a fun, adventurous read.
Mrs G
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great adventure story for LKS2 featuring explorers, a cantankerous albatross, a short-sighted mermaid, sarcastic seaweed (oh really...) and moving, talking islands (among other things). I can imagine my class giggling a lot throughout this one - a class read I think. Fab.
adik miftakhur
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
honestly, I loved the book. but, I felt like there's something missing in it. idk
Ben Trevail
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52books2018
Our next class read for LKS2 I think - definitely perfect for Y3 but enough exciting vocabulary for Y4 to enjoy. Much preferred it to Cakes In Space.
Ruby
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought the book was amazing because M.R Culpepper/Walking Albatros is super duper funny and poor Iris is short eye sighted so she finds it hard to concentrate [poor thing][SORRY IRIS!]
Ruby, 6 yrs
Dawn Teresa

Originally published on my blog ReadLove.

Gasp! Oliver Crisp is actually excited at the prospect of going to school! Because he’s spent nearly the whole of his ten years in the wake of his explorer parents on one adventure after another, he’s never set foot in a school. So when the Crisps have mapped every uncharted territory and climbed every mountain imaginable, they set out to settle down. Though “the house he [is] coming home to [is] one [he's] only seen on vacations,” Oliver Crisp is beyond
Sara Grochowski
When your parents are explorers, you never stay in one place for long. Oliver dreams of a place to call home - a normal bedroom, school, and friends. Finally, after there is nothing new to discover or explore, Oliver's parents decide to return home. While his parents explore the curious islands near their home, Oliver settles in, but it doesn't take long to realize that something has gone awry. The islands are suddenly gone, taking his parents with them! Oliver sets out on one last adventure to ...more
Liviania
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Philip Reeve's latest novel, OLIVER AND THE SEAWIGS, is an interesting thing. It's a bit more complex than a chapter book, but simpler than a middle grade novel. It's heavily illustrated (almost every page!) but I wouldn't call it a graphic hybrid because there isn't use of sequential graphic scenes. The illustrations enhance the story, especially a dual-page spread of the seawigs, but they never tell the story.

The eponymous Oliver is a young boy who travels the world (reluctantly) with his expl
Becky
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014reviews
I didn't not like it. I could easily say I liked it well enough. But you know how there are certain books that you read and get excited about and just can't wait to talk about? This wasn't that kind of book for me. While there was not one thing about the book that I didn't like, I just didn't find myself loving it. I don't know why readers feel, in some ways, obligated to love everything they read.

I liked the opening paragraphs. "Oliver Crisp was only ten years old, but they had been a busy and
Kasey Cocoa
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My son (9) gave this book two fully raised thumbs up along with a toothy grin. He says it's a fun to read story that he did not want to put down. Mind you, he was reading it on MY iPad. He says the story was entertaining and original with really cool illustrations. We easily give this five stars and recommend it for all young readers. We received an evaluation copy in exchange for our honest opinions. Read more reviews and enter giveaways for books, kindles, cash and more on my blog.

Robin Stevens
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An utterly delightful, beautifully illustrated little book that's a total joy to read. Completely bonkers in the best British manner, this story of talking islands, short-sighted mermaids and sea monkeys deserves to be an instant hit with kids (and with everyone, actually).
Johan Thilander
Rolig och äventyrlig kapitelbok. Bra för barn som börjat få in läsvanan. Boken är väldigt brittisk, både med det tokiga och lustiga, men också med sina förlegade könsstereotyper. Illustrationerna, särskilt de med de olika öarna och deras havsperuker, är väldigt häftiga!
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Very quirky story with graphic elements.
Sandra Vilka
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned
7/10.
Līga Sproģe
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sarkastiskās jūraszāles :D
Kosmosa kūkas gan man patika labāk. Šī pēc puses zaudēja manu uzmanību.
Ian Long
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story of adventure and friendship!
Ellie Labbett
Having spent years of exploring with his unconventional parents, Oliver is looking forward to settling down into his home and gaining some normality. Unfortunately for him (and fortunately for the audience) the adventures begin again, as the protagonist goes on a hunt for his missing parents.
From wandering islands, mermaids and a grumpy albatross, this was a thoroughly enjoyable, laugh-out-loud book, with compelling level of fantasy and silliness. Reeves writing is quick and witty, with short ch
Sue
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just when Oliver thinks he's going to finally settle down with his retired explorer parents, a sentient island takes him on a ride to a wig contest. Along the way he meets a nearsighted mermaid, sea monkeys, an albatross named Mr. Culpepper, and some very sarcastic seaweed. This is a chapter book with lots of illustrations along the way, perfect for reading to young kids or for older kids to read to themselves. Nothing super scary happens and the worst word used is "stupid." The main character i ...more
Amanda
So much fun! Suffers slightly in comparison with the later two excellent-to-the-point-of-perfection Not-So-Impossible Tales, Cakes in Space and Pugs of the Frozen North, but still wonderfully absurd and adorably illustrated! Loved Iris, the sea monkeys (they were supercute, I don't care how bloodthirsty they were!), and Stacey de Lacey. "My name," the boy said importantly, "is Stacey de Lacey." "But that's a girl's name!" blurted Oliver. Stacey de Lacey's face turned a dark shade of red. "Silenc ...more
  • My Little Pony: Friends Forever, Volume 1
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones (Mabel Jones, #1)
  • Claude In The City
  • Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • The Great Ice-Cream Heist
  • Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #1)
  • Almost Super (Almost Super, #1)
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • Lost Children of the Far Islands
  • Jack at the Helm (The Berenson Schemes, #3)
  • Desmond Pucket Makes Monster Magic
  • Frank Einstein and the Antimatter Motor (Frank Einstein, #1)
  • Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
  • Is a Worry Worrying You?
  • The Imaginary
Philip Reeve was born and raised in Brighton, where he worked in a bookshop for a number of years while also co-writing, producing and directing a number of no-budget theatre projects.

Philip then began illustrating and has since provided cartoons for around forty children's books, including the best-selling Horrible Histories, Murderous Maths and Dead Famous series.

Railhead, published by Oxford Un
More about Philip Reeve

A Not-So-Impossible Tale (4 books)
  • Pugs of the Frozen North
  • Cakes in Space
  • Jinks and O'Hare Funfair Repair
“My name," the boy said importantly, "is Stacey de Lacey."
"But that's a girl's name!" blurted Oliver.
Stacey de Lacey's face turned a dark shade of red. "Silence!" he shouted. "Stacey is one of those names that can be for a boy or a girl! Like Hilary, or Leslie, or...um... Anyway...!”
0 likes