Start by marking “Blue Jasmine” as Want to Read:
Blue Jasmine

Blue Jasmine

"You will go to a lonely place in the sands of the desert," the Arab diviner warned Lorna, "pursued by a man with dark hair."

Lorna scoffed. Her plans would not be spoiled by foolish tales.

But she was wrong. For now she found herself held captive by Kasim ben Hussayn-- a man with the power to make people love him. Lorna wanted only to hate him!
Paperback, Harlequin Romance #1399
Published May 1970 by Harlequin Books (first published December 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Jasmine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Jasmine

Chantal ❤️
The only reason this one lost a star for me was the smoking!!!!
Omg!
It was nuts I had to pretend he was taking a shot of whiskey or a glass of water for her cause it was sooooo gross.
So much smoking and also too much taking baths and brushing hair.
Blah blah blah!
It would have been improved with a few wild love making scenes for sure but I loved that he tried to respect her space.
He was not a barbaric desert hero but a nature lover. It was a joy to read once but that's it!
Naksed
Leona
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hqn-presents
This is the first book that Violet Winspear wrote. It was quite eloquent and evoked such vivid images of the desert. It's a book filled with the requisite amount of tension, chemistry and angst. The hero is quite scrumptious...and the heroine strong...though sometime she did drive me a bit batty.

It's beautifully written with a level of sophistication that you don't find in the newer HP's. The author leaves a lot up to the reader to decide and her subtle depiction of how they spend their evenings
Nancy
Sep 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Quaint," is how I described it when I first began reading it after it had been recommended by a friend with certain common interests.

Quaint, but with definite elements of male dominance that made it a rather wistful read. Entertaining, preposterous in plot and stilted in dialogue, the real story took place between the presence and the pearls.

I'd read it again in a heartbeat.
Chitra *CJ*
The nightingale sang in the garden where the blue jasmine starred the moonlit walls and Lorna no longer fled from the arms of her desert lover. Never would either of them be lonely again. They had searched and found the golden garden ... and it was the garden of love.

"Blue Jasmine" is the story of Lorna and Kasim.
Lorna is out visiting the desert in order to fulfill her late father's dying wish. When a veiled flute player prophecies about her being owned by a dark haired stranger, she scoffs h
Sophie
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(The stars I assigend to this book are probably based more on nostalgic childhood memories than on the merits of the book.) I first read this book at the tender age of about 8 years old. On a whim, I decided to find a copy and give it a read with my forty-something perspective. I find it a charming story with a fairy-tale quality.
Anuradha
Thoroughly cliched stuff. Love thy abductor. Desert Prince getting away with a spirited English traveler.

For mental comfort of the readers, the author turns him into a European by birth, at the end.

3 stars simply because of a likeable, sweet hero.
Rose
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW
Well written in a different era but I love the by-play! the hero - Respectful/lover yet dominating and controlling
Giulia Torre
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published in hardcover in 1969 by Mills & Boon, Violet Winspear’s category line classic Blue Jasmine, had three Harlequin Romance line reprints by 1976. If there was to be a romance canon, Blue Jasmine might make the list.

But it’s impossible to review Blue Jasmine without the foundation of E. M. Hull’s The Sheik. It’s like trying to discuss Samuel Johnson without mentioning James Boswell. And really, why would you want to?

E(dith) M(aude) Hull’s (1919) The Sheik is, in fact, an eve
Sydney Blackburn
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, vintage
I picked this up at a thrift shop, curious to see how it was done in 1970. Some of it was plus ca change ("Time in the desert seemed timeless" -- E.L. James worthy prose, right there) and omg, racist!

Evidently being kidnapped by a bedouin is only okay if he's not actually a dirty, polygamous Arab (which is implied to be a genetic trait) but instead a civilized European raised as an Arab... irrational and skin crawling characterizations.

Also, evidently a convent education at the time included fem
MissKitty
Jul 30, 2015
Lynda
Jul 02, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Violet Winspear was born on 28 April 1928 in London, England. She worked in a factory since 1942, when in 1961 she sold her first romance novels to Mills & Boon. In 1963, she became a full-time writer. She wrote from her home in the south-east England, that she never left, but she meticulously researched her far-flung settings at the local library. She never married, and had no children, but s ...more