Start by marking “Little Monkey Calms Down” as Want to Read:
Little Monkey Calms Down

Little Monkey Calms Down

Little Monkey is having a bad day. After a major melt down, he goes to his room and uses some coping techniques to calm down.
Board Book, 22 pages
Published February 1st 2014 by Picture Window Books

Start your review of Little Monkey Calms Down
Somia
A super short book, very few words but a good way of getting really, really young children to learn some mindful techniques.
Cheryl
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a self-help book, yes. For all ages, yes. But it's more than that - it's *funny.* You have got to see the spread illustrating a temper tantrum.

Great companion to Scaredy Squirrel.
Now we just need one that gives us tools to cope with a blue funk. Do you have any suggestions?
Hannah
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Fantastic book for exploring emotions and how best to cope with them. This would be perfect for younger readers to understand that it is ok to be upset but we all need to find ways of dealing with our feelings. I also think it could benefit some older children too as a point of discussion in a PHSE lesson perhaps.
Lauren Drake
Title (italicize): Little Monkey Calms Down
Author: Michael Dahi
Illustrator (if separate from the author): Oriol Vida
Genre: fiction
Theme(s): Dealing with negative emotions and ways to cope with those emotions for young children
Opening line/sentence (type directly from text): “Poor little monkey”.
Brief Book Summary (2-3 sentences in your own words): The little monkey drops his ice cream and is very upset about it. Monkey deals with his anger/sadness by taking deep breaths, singing, being still, a
Kristen Boers
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, you know how I feel about the Hello Genius books, so we can skip the fawning.

Book publishers, please, more board books in this larger format. The kids love it, the parents love it, they last longer. I promise I'll buy them all if you make them.

I love a book for kids about managing emotions. I also love when the action items are embedded in the story and avoid lecturing children on what they should do. Little Monkey has a hard time navigating his feelings, so his parents give him ideas on h
Emily Flanders
Little Monkey Calms down by Michael Dahl is a short story that talks about the various ways that Little Monkey deals with an upsetting situation. I think that this book would be a great way to teach very young children (2 to 4 years old) positive ways in which they can manage their very big emotions. Self-regulation is a very important skill to have in the classroom and in life in general, so I think that this story is a great way to introduce these strategies to children who have not yet entere ...more
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely book that is really relatable for the young reader. It's almost a self-help book, and although predominantly for the young reader it is a great lesson for all ages. It would be great for children as when they have their terrible tantrums they could think back to this book and try some of the techniques monkey uses. Reading the book, you really feel that you are there with monkey, feeling all the same things as monkey, but you really feel happy towards the end. A great first book. ...more
Kelsey Gourd
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! I’m probably going to end up buying it. Rosemary enjoyed the colorful illustrations and the monkeys, while I enjoyed the words. It teaches kids that being upset is okay and here are some strategies to calm down. “It’s okay to cry” Taking a breath, and focus on something are just a few of the strategies.

This book is great for parents of toddlers or any early childhood classroom! Put it in your take a break area.
Ryan Thorpe
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-family-books
Alice and I have read this book every night for probably six months.

It’s a remarkable book, because it (1) helps children understand a challenging part of life, namely frustration and anger; (2) creates a vocabulary that parents and children can use to discuss that part of life; and (3) introduces tools that parents and children can use together to cope.

I can’t even count the number of times Alice has been frustrated and we have been able to recognize the frustration together - 小猴子哭了, and then
mama chop
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for toddlers!

I work with two year olds. This was a great story that had simple text, colorful pictures and emotions every toddler can relate to. It gave good ideas, in a very simple way, of different techniques to calm your emotions when you feel out of control. I highly recommend it for parents or teachers of toddlers.
Katie  Dickey
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aww monkey

My child real this as an independent read and loved the ways money calmed down. She realized she could use the same techniques to calm herself down in overwhelming moments too!
Colorado Buck
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
think it would be great for themes involving monkeys, calming down, having fun, emotions, think it would work best for toddlers, could use for babies maybe? maybe preschool, if you ask questions, like have you ever felt like that? cute pictures too.
Naresh Mani
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes it is a nice book to read to my four-year-old daughter thank you

This is a great story to read them out for you and all the other day just you thank you to read a story for me thank you bye! I love monkey story
Jake Mounsher
Minimal is an understatement

There's nothing to see here! This "book" is about three pages long, literally just repeats the title. It is not a story, nor does it teach anyone anything. This is the literary equivalent of buying a cake and being served a grain of flour.
Ella
A very simple but nice well-being story for FS or year 1 children. The monkey used lots of different techniques to help him calm himself down. Would be good to read to children and practise these approaches so they have strategies when they are feeling upset or angry.
Alicia Creed
ok I suppose

Read this to my baby, I suppose it’s more aimed at children who can read themselves due to the very simple language but as a primary school teacher I didn’t think it was anything special
Marina Mamshina
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ari-and-me
Starting to learn how to breath and relax. Colorful and beautiful pictures, great idea and important message for parents and toddlers :)
Karen
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
My 2.5-year-old loves this book.
Solomon
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manners
My son liked curiously running his pointer finger along the monkeys tail.
Ramon Saenz
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How little monkey calms down

This book is about a ice cream and how little monkey calms down. Little monkey does calm down. Its a good book.
Tracy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the concepts. Loved the format. Loved that my child would listen. A great book for very young children learning better ways to react than anger.
carol-ann porter
Good kids book

My 5 year old daughter loved the book, as she could relate to the monkey. And it helped her to calm down.
Miss L M King
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cure book for toddlers

Recommend to parents with toddlers and babies
Cute book and pictures
Good for teaching young children how to stay calm
Mama
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

A lovely simple book to read with children. They were able to describe feelings of character. Better for younger children.
Samuel
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for toddlers

I got this to read to my three year old, its great. Simple and to the point! I would recommend it.
Megan T. Heitzler
Concise and great message

Easy for kids to get. Love that it’s a quick little read. My kids love this whole series of books!
Hayden Fleming
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely little read

Perfect for our 2 year old... He gets it!! Our 7 year old thinks it’s about him. Cute pictures with easy font
Erin
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A brief look at dealing with anger. Full of handy phrases for anyone caught in the crossfire of a tantrum.
Faridah Bastien
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Really good read my children enjoyed it a lot along with the other books from this collection. I would recommend
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Why the Spider Has Long Legs (Folk Tales From Around the World)
  • Mabel and the Sock Pirates
  • My Triceratops Won't Wash
  • The Deep and Snowy Wood
  • Monkey with a Tool Belt and the Noisy Problem
  • Don't Paint the Cat: Can there really be too much of a good thing?
  • Clark the Shark: Too Many Treats (I Can Read Level 1)
  • The Little Mouse In My House
  • In My Heart: A Book of Feelings
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • Pete the Kitty and the Case of the Hiccups (My First I Can Read)
  • Vegetables in Underwear
  • Clara's Crazy Curls
  • The Monster That Stole My Underwear
  • The Naughty Penguin
  • The Crocodile Who Swallowed The Sun
  • Potty
  • My T-Rex Has A Toothache
See top shelves…
Michael Dahl is the author of over 100 children's books. Some of his most popular series are Finnegan Zwake, Library of Doom, and Dragonblood. He resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in a haunted house.

He also writes under aliases Chris Carey, Rick Thomas, and Mark Ziegler.

News & Interviews

There's something so special about each class of debut YA authors; after all, young adult fiction is all about the hopefulness of new...