Start by marking “Little Monkey Calms Down” as Want to Read:

(Hello Genius)

Little Monkey is having a bad day. After a major melt down, he goes to his room and uses some coping techniques to calm down.
Board Book, 22 pages
Published February 1st 2014 by Picture Window Books

Start your review of Little Monkey Calms Down
Cheryl
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a self-help book, yes. For all ages, yes. But it's more than that - it's *funny.* You have got to see the spread illustrating a temper tantrum.

Great companion to Scaredy Squirrel.
Now we just need one that gives us tools to cope with a blue funk. Do you have any suggestions?
Hannah
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Fantastic book for exploring emotions and how best to cope with them. This would be perfect for younger readers to understand that it is ok to be upset but we all need to find ways of dealing with our feelings. I also think it could benefit some older children too as a point of discussion in a PHSE lesson perhaps.
Lauren Drake
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kristen Boers
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, you know how I feel about the Hello Genius books, so we can skip the fawning.

Book publishers, please, more board books in this larger format. The kids love it, the parents love it, they last longer. I promise I'll buy them all if you make them.

I love a book for kids about managing emotions. I also love when the action items are embedded in the story and avoid lecturing children on what they should do. Little Monkey has a hard time navigating his feelings, so his parents give him ideas on
Emily Flanders
Little Monkey Calms down by Michael Dahl is a short story that talks about the various ways that Little Monkey deals with an upsetting situation. I think that this book would be a great way to teach very young children (2 to 4 years old) positive ways in which they can manage their very big emotions. Self-regulation is a very important skill to have in the classroom and in life in general, so I think that this story is a great way to introduce these strategies to children who have not yet ...more
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely book that is really relatable for the young reader. It's almost a self-help book, and although predominantly for the young reader it is a great lesson for all ages. It would be great for children as when they have their terrible tantrums they could think back to this book and try some of the techniques monkey uses. Reading the book, you really feel that you are there with monkey, feeling all the same things as monkey, but you really feel happy towards the end. A great first book.
Kelsey Gourd
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! Im probably going to end up buying it. Rosemary enjoyed the colorful illustrations and the monkeys, while I enjoyed the words. It teaches kids that being upset is okay and here are some strategies to calm down. Its okay to cry Taking a breath, and focus on something are just a few of the strategies.

This book is great for parents of toddlers or any early childhood classroom! Put it in your take a break area.
Lil Old Bookworm
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I love this series of Hello Genius books. Really cute pictures and simple text made this a good read for infants. My 10 month old was entertained by the colors and pictures. I love that each story is entertaining, yet also teaches a lesson (in this case, that it's ok to be upset or cry, but also different techniques to try to calm down).
Katie  Dickey
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aww monkey

My child real this as an independent read and loved the ways money calmed down. She realized she could use the same techniques to calm herself down in overwhelming moments too!
Naresh Mani
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes it is a nice book to read to my four-year-old daughter thank you

This is a great story to read them out for you and all the other day just you thank you to read a story for me thank you bye! I love monkey story
Colorado Buck
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
think it would be great for themes involving monkeys, calming down, having fun, emotions, think it would work best for toddlers, could use for babies maybe? maybe preschool, if you ask questions, like have you ever felt like that? cute pictures too.
Karen
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
My 2.5-year-old loves this book.
Samuel
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for toddlers

I got this to read to my three year old, its great. Simple and to the point! I would recommend it.
brian
Nice pictures

Very simple book, nice pictures. Might interest very young children but very simplistic. Not what I had imagined as so simple.
Ramon Saenz
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How little monkey calms down

This book is about a ice cream and how little monkey calms down. Little monkey does calm down. Its a good book.
Hayden Fleming
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely little read

Perfect for our 2 year old... He gets it!! Our 7 year old thinks its about him. Cute pictures with easy font
Chris
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book

Good fun book easily read by my 7 year old. Lovely fun pictures too. Wanted to be a monkey too. Ha ha
Lynda Hields
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Promotes manners, speaking skills and animal recognition.
Sowmyanarayanan Venkatraman Jeyalakshmi
Not enganging

This book is lacking of language and won't be a perfect friend or time passer for kids...could improve and enhance various New words in the book...
Erin
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A brief look at dealing with anger. Full of handy phrases for anyone caught in the crossfire of a tantrum.
elizrdbthspeaks
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love that cover, what did pull me in, so fun! i think that would be great for very little little kids. great pics.
Faridah Bastien
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Really good read my children enjoyed it a lot along with the other books from this collection. I would recommend
Marina Mamshina
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ari-and-me
Starting to learn how to breath and relax. Colorful and beautiful pictures, great idea and important message for parents and toddlers :)
Mama
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

A lovely simple book to read with children. They were able to describe feelings of character. Better for younger children.
Megan T. Heitzler
Concise and great message

Easy for kids to get. Love that its a quick little read. My kids love this whole series of books!
Tracy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the concepts. Loved the format. Loved that my child would listen. A great book for very young children learning better ways to react than anger.
carol-ann porter
Good kids book

My 5 year old daughter loved the book, as she could relate to the monkey. And it helped her to calm down.
Miss L M King
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cure book for toddlers

Recommend to parents with toddlers and babies
Cute book and pictures
Good for teaching young children how to stay calm
Keith Wardhaugh
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Monkey Calms Down

Amazing book and you should try it but I would read it to youre children not to yourself because I think theyll enjoy it better
Shannon Byrne
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book

My one year old son loved this book, he sat on my lap and quietly listened to the words and giggled at all of the pictures.
« previous 1 3 next »

• I'm Stuck in Your Kindle!
  • Vegetables in Underwear
  • My T-Rex Has A Toothache
  • My Allosaur Has Lost His Roar - Childrens Picture Book
  • Bird Hugs
  • Crabby Pants
  • Why the Spider Has Long Legs (Folk Tales From Around the World)
  • The Deep and Snowy Wood
  • Clara's Crazy Curls
  • I Know a Lot!
  • My Pteranodon Has A Sneeze - Childrens Picture Book
  • The Naughty Penguin
  • Mabel and the Sock Pirates
  • 49 Excuses for Not Tidying Your Bedroom (The 49... Series Book 1)
  • Dinosnores
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • Falling for Rapunzel
  • A to Z
Michael Dahl is the author of over 100 children's books. Some of his most popular series are Finnegan Zwake, Library of Doom, and Dragonblood. He resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in a haunted house.

He also writes under aliases Chris Carey, Rick Thomas, and Mark Ziegler.

Hello Genius (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Bunny Eats Lunch