Start by marking “Essential Cell Biology, 4th Edition” as Want to Read:
Essential Cell Biology, 4th Edition

Essential Cell Biology, 4th Edition

Essential Cell Biology provides an accessible introduction to the fundamental concepts of cell biology. Its lively writing and exceptional illustrations make it the ideal textbook for a first course in cell and molecular biology. The text and figures are easy-to-follow, accurate, clear, and engaging for the introductory student. Molecular detail has been kept to a minimum ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Garland Science (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Cell Biology, 4th Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Cell Biology, 4th Edition

May
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medicine
I'm slightly conflicted as to what to say about this book? I'll start with the positives though.
Firstly, it's a great book with a lot of information and it's extremely easy to understand. It doesn't need anyone with any background knowledge to any of the subjects though basic scientific knowledge is preferred or else you will spend some extra time going through everything so you can comprehend it. It was recommended by my university course as the primary source book for the Cell Biology course.
Mike de la Flor
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a the go-to source for everything about cell biology and cell biochemistry. This book is often used in college courses but it is written and illustrated in a manner that makes it accessible to just about everyone willing to make an effort to learn what cells do. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in biology.
Mimi Wolf
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very helpful. I'm a visual learner so the DVD is great.
Albert
paradoxically, cell dynamics are more complex than organism dynamics. this is a really good introduction to the not-so-rigid building blocks of life.
Luna Oliveira
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book but there's a lot more complexity to cell biology that I didn't finding this...
Matthew Ottewell
Too many reviews criticizing the textbook for explicitly following its mission statement: an introductory college level textbook re: cell biology. Coming no less from the author of "Molecular Biology of the Cell" which by all accounts is the best textbook on the subject (at least from popular opinion).

I find it to be (halfway through) remarkably well-written and easily understandable. A few things I have had to look up, but no writer can predict the gaps people have, especially when they take t
Sha
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chapter 20 beautifully summarizes the biology of cancer, wish I came across this earlier. So well written!
♥Xeni♥
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot to mark this book as read last month. Had a 16-question test on the WHOLE book, plus extra details which weren't in the book, and I barely passed... lol.

Still, its a pretty decent book. Thank goodness I only had to review for the test... still, I would have much preferred having less details to know... mainly because who really cares which components make up desmosomes and hemidesmosomes?? Okay okay, that's silly to ask, since it is important, but the test was silly and the book is ENO
Jorge
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On of the best books for the study of the cell, with emphasis in molecular aspects.
The authors did a great job here, trying to summarise the amazing book "The Molecular Biology of the Cell" of he same authors. Then, this book is a prelude: an introduction, or some kind of preparation for the masterpiece mentioned.
Josiah Richardson
Very well-written book on the ends and outs of Molecular Biology. Definitely not for a beginner or a book for someone looking to get into this field, although the graphs and pictures are so well annotated that someone who is decently informed in this field of study could understand them. Fascinating material.
José Luís  Fernandes
This was my Cellular Biology textbook. It has lots of enlightening illustrations and overall it's a very decent book, yet it has a few "loose ends" since it was designed for an introductory level.
Geektaard
finally dooooone... bleh
Helen
My lit for entrance exam for Master's Degree in Medical Sciences.
Tori
Essential Cell Biology: An introducton to the Molecular Biology of the Cell by Bruce Alberts (1997)
andriy luts
It's ok good reference source.
Ahmee
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, textbooks
Good reference book for the basics of cell bio.
Dr.K
'an introduction to the molecular biology of the cell'
Erika E S
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Medicina: biología celular, 1er año.
Aijan
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
may i have a chance to read this one, please?
Seamusin
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished 9/20 chapters. What a fantastic, well presented coherent and exciting text. Looking forward to having the time to finish it.
5x5 Walls
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best college text books I've had to-date. Explains things clearly and has excellent presentation.
Jalaal alzameli
The choice of my university!!! Great book, makes you visualize cell&molecular aspects.
Simone Stephanie
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really great book and the drawings are just the best.
Radja