Start by marking “Where Were You Last Pluterday?” as Want to Read:
Where Were You Last Pluterday?

Where Were You Last Pluterday?

Mass Market Paperback, Daw Collectors #51 (UQ1051), 159 pages
Published April 1973 by DAW (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Where Were You Last Pluterday?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Were You Last Pluterday?

Start your review of Where Were You Last Pluterday?
Ármin Scipiades
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody! Who likes some surreal comedy
Recommended to Ármin by: scifi.stackexchange.com
Shelves: laff, scifi, underrated
This is a hidden gem. Silly to the extremes, and funny in a way that made me laugh out loud many times (which isn't something I do often). It's delightful.

I discovered this through a story identifiction question on scifi.stackexchange.com, and it looked mildly interesting. So I looked it up on Antikvarium.hu, and since there was one copy for sale, I bought it on a whim. Which I kinda regretted instantly, because, well, it looked like a generic 60s soft scifi (the stackexchange question doesn't
Neo Marshkga
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Where were you last Pluterday??
A satirical SciFi book that uses a pretty weird idea to criticise several problems on our society. Everything done from a very funny and particular way, that will get you hooked as soon as you start reading.
A small gem that a friend of mine lent me so I could read it, and I have to say I am very happy about having heard of it, cause the story and the way it's told is great and people should know about it.
I am not going to go around the story too much. Sufficient
Raul Robles
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book on my grandfathers library, it caught my attention because it stated that won the Europe Science Fiction Price, so I started to read it out of curiosity.

I just loved this novel, It mixes a love story with a futuristic unreal world, full of comedy, satire and an epic journey driven by a science fiction writer in a time where science fiction gets prohibited and who falls in love with the daughter of a rich man.

I got to admit that this is a weird novel, with some epic random
Victor Diaz Magallon
Considerando que es una reliquia este libro, solo tengo que decir que si tienes oportunidad de leerlo no dudes en hacerlo.

Si no eres fanático de la ciencia ficción no importa, porque tiene de todo: religión, esoterismo, historia del pueblo judío, movimientos sociales de liberación, viajes en el tiempo, romanticismo y sobre todo cafeteras que hablan.

RECOMENDABLE SI...
- Quieres leer algo algo relajado, despreocupado y absurdo.

- Te gusta y te asusta la ciencia ficción.
Vanda Jensen
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I first read this book in the late 1970s. It was a favourite of my husband's and he loaned it to me when we started dating. Up to that time I had not read any humourous science fiction and I enjoyed it. I think that it translated into English quite well.
I have reread it a few times in the last four decades and one day I will read it again.
Matt Shaw
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I'd give this a 3.5 if possible; it is a funny, chaotic romp, but it is just a trifle. If Kurt Vonnegut and Douglas Adams had gotten smashed together and dictated a manuscript, this could be it. It does mock religion and societal convention pretty well, and I've never laughed so hard at rice pudding with raisins before, but it's awfully lightweight.
Wesy2k
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein SciFi Roman bei dem ich nicht stoppen konnte. Herrlich schwungvoll geschrieben und Sam stirbt gefühlt öfters als Kenny bei South Park :-)
Dirk
This book by Belgian writer Paul van Herck won in its original 1968 Dutch version "Sam, of de Pluterdag" the 1972 price for the Best Belgian Science Fiction novel at the EuroCon in Triëst, Italy. It has been translated into English (1973); Spanish (1975); Swedish (1976); French (1977); German (1981) and Hungarian (1991), so becoming the best translated Science Fiction novel out of Dutch speaking countries. You can read about it on wikipedia or find out about its published versions on isfdb
Raul Duarte
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Para empezar, si usted encuentra este libro léalo, no deje pasar la oportunidad porque es muy difícil de conseguir. Trata de un escritor que queda de verse con una chica, y ella le dice que se vean el próximo “Pluterday”, el pobre protagonista tiene que pasar por un sinfín de situaciones de lo más ridículas al más puro estilo de Douglas Adams en su Adams “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” y descifrar el oscuro secreto que esconde el día “Pluterday”. Es un libro que se rápido y es de lo más ...more
Dustin Reade
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was really into sci-fi.
Let me just say, this book is hardly sc-fi. It is something else. Something wonderful.
Like Vonnegut, Herk pokes fun at the very genre within which he writes. THe future scenarios are completely unbelievable. The "science" is anything but scientific.
THough none of that matters as it is clear that this is the author's intent. And he succeeds in creating a funny and thoughtful world where anything can happen, including clandestine meetings of rich
Jack
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jack by: Gina Holmes
Sam, a social climber, meets Julie, a hot little scion of a wealthy family. "When will I see you again?" he asks her. "What about next Pluterday?"

Pluterday? It seems that the wealthy are able to bank the time they've "saved." When they have enough, they get an extra day... a "Pluterday."

Sam wants to know how they do it. And more than that, he wants to see (and impress) Julie.

It took Sam five lives, a used time machine and all his science fiction writer's ingenuity to keep his date with Julie!
Ju
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some laugh out loud sentences in this quick read. I will definitely read it again.
Mirjam
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Classic. First SF story I read.
Iván Rodríguez Olivarez
Yo quiero mi Pluterday, aunque primero quisiera ser rico.
Mike (the Paladin)
I read this a long time ago..and it's one of the really wierd reads of all time, but good wierd. I think (if you can find it) you'll find a fun read (but wierd, really really wierd.)
Timday
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
bit of fun though i do think that i may have issues with too much humour in sci fi
Estefa Al
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Este es el tipo de historia perfecta para matar el tiempo. Me hizo sacar unas cuantas carcajadas de vez en cuando. Definitivamente la historia es muy espontánea.
Rigoberto
Sep 30, 2009
John
Oct 21, 2018
Alexander
rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Empress of Forever
  • Proving Darwin: Making Biology Mathematical
  • The E.F. Benson Megapack
  • Die Sterne warten
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • ZEITREISEN SIND VERBOTEN: UND AUßERDEM FURCHTBAR KOMPLIZIERT
  • Open Earth
  • Visions from Brichester
  • Doyle's Detective Agency: The Jewellery Case
  • Doyle's Detective Agency: The Lost Beetle
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South
  • Thrawn: Alliances (Star Wars: Thrawn, #2)
Paul van Herck was een Vlaamse schrijver.

Paul van Herck in de Nederlandstalige Wikipedia

Paul van Herck was a Flemish writer.

Paul van Herck in the English Wikipedia