Start by marking “Waiting in Deep” as Want to Read:
Waiting in Deep

Waiting in Deep

Waiting in Deep weaves complexity with simplicity, heartache with humor, producing a remarkable story you won't forget.

In 1943, Lottie Johnson's husband and young daughter were tragically killed. Her troubled, estranged cousin, Edgar Dewberry, is the only person who knows exactly what happened and is still trying to forget. In 1972, he returns to Mt. Brayden, South Caroli
Published June 27th 2013 by America Star Books

To ask other readers questions about Waiting in Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting in Deep

Away2write
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Travel back to the 1970s and experience simple living and lasting friendships. Waiting in Deep gently reminds us of God's gifts of love, laughter, and healing. A great read!
Emily
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Waiting in Deep was really great! I really felt a connection to all the characters and their individual stories. The book was thoughtful and well-written, and I just really, really enjoyed it!
Sylvia
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of forgiveness and love. The town and characters become your community and friends. The character that is less seen is yet an important one in this story and town. You will not be able to put this book down. You will laugh out loud, cry and feel loved. It is a book that is a shelf keeper to read again or loan. My favorite character is Dovie. She is funny and has a heart for all who surround her. She does not give up on anyone, regardless of them trying to escape her. She is a tru ...more
Taylor Troncin
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-2016-read
I won a free copy of this book through a goodreads giveaway.

I have not been able to read the book yet - but I wanted to give the author some sort of feedback!

At first, I was not sure what to think about the book. ... I had entered the giveaway because I saw that it was this author's first book (something that always excites me!).

However, after reading some reviews I have decided that this book needs to be bumped up onto my "to read" list!

**My rating indicates how strongly I want to start this
Lace
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, own
I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads. I found this book hard to put down. It is a sweet, down-to-earth book about a small group of females in the south during the 70s. My favorite thing was how the author fleshed out the community. I felt that I was able to know most of the people in the town better than I know my own community! And I didn't want this book to end. The dialogue was spot-on, and the main characters you couldn't help but love. I recommend this to anyone looking ...more
Patty Hammett
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Waiting In Deep leaves you satisfied that you just chose a "good read" . You are right there identifying with the characters . God's love intermingled through the book makes it that much more enjoyable . You will laugh. You will smile . Your heart will feel warm .You may shed tears . You will ponder life . I loved this book !
Sandi Denkers
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Southern small town fiction set in the 70s. Unlike any story ever read. One-sitting read. Humorous, heartrending, multilayered and unforgettable. An accident, a prayer, a garden make this more than a story. www.flockadelic.com
Ron
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a well written book that contains humor,love, and touching moments. Easy to read. You don't want to put it down once you start it. I'm anxiously awaiting Sandi's next book.
Tim Denkers
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Story moved swiftly. Vivid characters, setting and scenes. Humorous and heartfelt. Enjoyed the 70s era. Beautiful story from beginning to the very end.
Miranda Gargasz
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
While southern fiction isn't my favorite, I do enjoy it from time to time. Most authors write about what I call the romantic south: plantations, mansions and moneyed families. While that is definitely appealing, as a girl with southern roots, the rich side of southern life has little to do with money.

Sandi Morgan Denkers does a great job bringing to life the south that my family has shared with me. That's a south rich with culture, elbow deep in their faith and filled with colloquialisms that on
Harriette Moss
What a wonderful book. I could not put it down. This is a story of ordinary everyday people living together as neighbors and family. It is filled with love and concern for each other. There are lessons in this book that we all need to apply to ourselves. It made you feel that you were a part of the people there. A story of love, forgiveness, and redemption all in one sweet story of how people let God work in their lives. A wonderful read.
Susan Jacobs
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Waiting in Deep" is a novel for the heart. The range of emotions and sense of connectedness to the characters is brilliantly formed in the creative expression of Sandi Morgan Denkers. This novel is easy to read and hard to put down. The journey of life, heartache and struggle are met with hope, forgiveness and redemption. There is no better story than that; the story of us all.
Ray Elder
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am presently reading "Waiting In Deep" and find truly a wonderful book. Sandi takes you back to a time when values played a primary role people's lives, the decisions they made and struggles were very real. She grasps your attention from the outset and holds it as the book flows from one exciting chapter to the next! This is an incredible book and I highly recommend it to people of all ages!
Lynn Packard
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It is such a great read, with wonderful characters and a story that just draws you in. I love to fine a book that I can't put down and this sure was one of them. Hope there is another book from this great author!
Renee
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my second time reading WID; and, I enjoyed it all over again! I actually read parts that I missed the first time! Such a tender story of love, friendship and forgiveness.
Sabra Morrow
Sandi,
Let me know if this shows up. This is a test!!!

Sabe

• Mother of Rain
  • Nirvana Effect
  • Piggy
  • The Chocolatier's Wife
  • The Contrary Tale of the Butterfly Girl (The Peculiar Adventures of John Loveheart, Esq. #2)
  • Training Wheels
  • Chasing the Crown
  • The Heart of a Gypsy
  • The Sky Manifest
  • Pirates of Pensacola
  • Four Letters
  • We Are the Children of the Stars: The Classic that Changed the Way We Look at Aliens
  • Lies Agreed Upon
  • The Killing Jar - Based on a True Story
  • The Carnival of Death
  • The Color of Bones
  • A Brown Paper Bag and a Fine Tooth Comb
  • Veda
A lifelong South Carolinian, Sandi enjoys reading, writing, drawing, painting, sewing, creating and designing. She is a lover of words and all things beautiful.
“It's funny how you can remember special things about a person. It's Mama's hands I remember. When I was little and she'd dress me, her hands would be all up under my chin fastnin up my shirt. I'd smell the Clorox. I hated it because it made the inside of my nose burn. She said it didn't bother her and maybe one day I'd get used to it. Sometimes now, I run a little water in the sink. Then I add some Clorox and let my hands splash around in it. And then I smell. Long, deep breaths. I smell Mama.” 2 likes
“This is my story.
Death tried to kill it;
Grief tried to drown it;
Pride tried to erase it;
Pain tried to hide it;
but
Deep saved it.
My story grew words while waiting in Deep and now my words have wings to fly. Lottie Johnson, age 96”
2 likes