Start by marking “Don't Order Dog (Jeri Halston, #1)” as Want to Read:
Don't Order Dog  (Jeri Halston, #1)

Don't Order Dog (Jeri Halston)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  679 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Twenty-six year old Jeri Halston is brilliant, with looks as stunning as her intellect. She should be killing it on Wall Street or speed-climbing the corporate ladder. But she isn't. Maybe her father's death the year before is to blame. Maybe it's a quarter-life crisis. Even Jeri doesn't know for sure. That's why she's pouring drinks for baby-faced co-eds and geriatric men ...more
Published June 1st 2013 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Don't Order Dog, please sign up.

joan I have no idea why the title is not what it is. "Don't order dog" is totally a relevant part of the story but not even close to what it is titled.…moreI have no idea why the title is not what it is. "Don't order dog" is totally a relevant part of the story but not even close to what it is titled. C.T. Wente is a new upcoming writer that to my understanding has the "Ice Man Cometh" as his first notable novel. I found the book to be well worth reading as a lover of fiction and would read another title by same author if made available.(less)

Janet Pritchett
Feb 16, 2014 Janet Pritchett rated it really liked it
I almost gave this 5 stars. It's a very good book, I read it quickly, because I just had to know how it ended. I'm interested to see how Wente makes this story into a series now that the element of surprise is gone. But one thing is for sure - I'll be reading to find out!
Michele Crimson
Jan 05, 2014 Michele Crimson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional! I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery/action packed book. This one will have you hanging on the edge of your seat guessing at the next move. Can't wait to read more by this author.

Jeri should be killing it on Wall Street or speed-climbing the corporate ladder. But she isn’t. Maybe her father’s death the year before is to blame. Maybe it’s a quarter-life crisis. Even Jeri doesn’t know for sure. That’s why she’s pouring drinks for baby-faced co-eds and geriat
Mallory Heart Reviews
REVIEW: THE ICE MAN COMETH

An engrossing and delightfully convoluted thriller/suspense with parallel plot lines and an original premise. One plot line focuses on a cold-hearted, quite possibly sociopathic and definitely cruel, contract killer (international killer-for-hire). The other, much more puzzling plot thread revolves around a young lady in Flagstaff, Arizona, a college graduate with multiple degrees, who periodically receives air mail missives from a deliberately anonymous "admirer," post
Miz
This just irritated me as offensive, so I abandoned it before I threw something at something breakable.
Scott
Mar 02, 2015 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am going to be honest. I hate giving bad reviews. Sometimes when I find a book I don’t take to I try very hard to go through it again and again to find some redeming quality among the disappointment and despair. Sometimes I succeed and I am able to celebrate that one thing the author got right even when everything else feel so very short of my expectations. This is not the case with Wente’s story of industrial espionage and assassination which attempts far too much and ends up becoming a pale ...more
Sherri
Apr 11, 2015 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Plot!!!

This is one of the best books that I've read in a very long time. Incredible plot with many twists and turns. Great character development. You won't believe the ending. It starts out slow but once it starts, hang on!! You won't be able to put it down!
Kristine Daniels
Sep 07, 2014 Kristine Daniels rated it really liked it
At first I was thinking, Oh no this is going to be a crappy romance story, but then it turns out to be totally not! I'm not sure if the next book in the the series will be as compelling, but it was a good enough read that I'd probably try the 2nd one when it comes out.
Simone
Apr 03, 2015 Simone rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review initially published on my blog, Writing by Numbers, here.

Bartender Jeri Halston starts getting witty letters from an anonymous man, each one sent from a new country and signed “Don’t order dog.” At first they seem like an innocent prank, perhaps an elaborate secret admirer. But Jeri and her coworkers/friends are soon drawn into an international mystery. Wente has a strong handle on plot and pacing, and the novel trots along smoothly. There were some nice unexpected twists and enough susp
Emmie
Mar 10, 2015 Emmie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis:

Jeri Halston should be working on Wall Street, not in a forgotten old bar in Flagstaff. But the brilliant, gorgeous twenty-six-year-old prefers bartending at Joe’s Last Stand Saloon to climbing the corporate ladder. When Jeri starts receiving love letters from an anonymous admirer, she’s amused by their far-flung postmarks and coy Polaroids that never quite show the writer’s face. Their postscripts are even more intriguing: “Don't order dog.” Hilarious but harmless, the letters don’t ra
Madeline Gannon
Technically, I did not finish reading this book. However, I put a solid 8 hours into reading/listening (WhisperSync w/Audible) and, as I've said before, that effort deserves to be acknowledged.

Overall, VERY disappointed with this book. I got it on a recent Kindle Daily Deal and was so excited to read it that I began it immediately. The second I began reading it I became confused about what book I had purchased & actually checked to make sure it was the right one. Basically, I found the summ
Elizabeth j dunn
Captivating

Suspense, intrigue, humor, romance....Don't Order Dog may be the next Great American Classic. This book will be glued to your hands. You will lose sleep and miss work. You will recommend it to Facebook acquaintances and strangers in the grocery parking lot.
Jeri, a grieving bartender, receives love letters from a secret admirer. The witty letter-writer is so eloquent, you hate to love him and race anxiously ahead toward another letter.
Told from the perspectives of Jeri and the terro
Andrea
Feb 26, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book so great I read it in 2 days!!! The book starts out with a mystery prologue. The actual books starts off random and then the letters start coming in, the letters are from a person she's never met and are witty and funny and soooo mysterious. While much of the book rotates around the mystery of the sender and the letters, of course we have the "wanna be sleuth" who ignites a national security nightmare because of the job he is in and the story explodes as the layers get thicker with su ...more
Denise
Jan 27, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Thank you to netgalley for this book. This was a perfect book for an 8 hour plane ride. It started off like a "mysterious boy likes a girl" sort of book where Jeri Halston, a bartender in a small town, starts receiving correspondence from an admirer, always finishing with "Don't order dog". After receiving a couple of these letters, always from places far away and accompanied by polaroids which, of course, don't feature her admirer's face, she decides to post them in the bar for the patrons to t ...more
Toeni
Feb 16, 2015 Toeni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book through the GoodReads First Read giveaway and oh, wow, am I glad that I did! This story takes the reader on a roller coaster of emotion as they see things through the different POVs. I laughed ( multiple time), I cried, I growled in frustration, and I cheered on the terrorist... Wait? What?
First, a quick synopsis:
Jeri Halston is a beautiful and brilliant bartender at a little dive bar called "Joe's Last Stand Saloon" in Flagstaff, Arizona. Not only is she sitting
Christine Fortier
I was thrilled to receive this book as a winner of Goodreads give away. Every spare minute I had I was glued to the book. I did really like the book. The story line was engaging and the letters were an art in themselves. The rating I give it is for the unnecessary, intellect degrading, habitable use of the the F word. I HATE that!

I understand the time, research and phenomenal talent to create a story, characters, their history and personalities. It is mind boggling. I could not do it. So my hat
Salma
Oct 10, 2014 Salma rated it liked it
I honestly didn't know how many stars to give this book. Writers take quite a while to compile a novel, and I guess I always feel bad if I give a mediocre/bad review.. but well.. here goes.

This book basically talks about letters that a "beautiful" (read: average) bartender named Jeri receives from a man she doesn't know. This man's letters are pretty witty (hell, I fell in love with him!). Long story short, these letters basically link this man to a bunch of murders that happen in different part
Gwen Drescher
Chose this book because it was on the New York Times bestseller list and had good reviews. It is a very interesting take on the global warfare amongst corporations, and the complexities of competition between CIA, Homeland security and other high level protective services. The bar scenes create the backdrop for connecting the main characters, sometimes making you miss "Cheers" where everybody knows your name. In this case the bar regulars are linked via an interest in the mysterious letters sent ...more
Aileen Cheatham
Nov 12, 2013 Aileen Cheatham rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this novel, which I think is self-published. Save three minor errors I noticed in the Kindle edition, I could not see the difference, except possibly for how many times the word 'flatly' is used. Not a big deal considering how captivated I was by the unusual plot. It drew me in early on when Jeri, a bartender in flagstaff, AZ starts receiving letters from a mysterious admirer from different parts of the world. I couldn't put it down until it was over. It is very dif ...more
Deborah Chapman
Ann Rand modernized

Ann Rand modernized

Starts slow, as each chapter is told from different point of view. but as th he reader begins to gain an under ssh tan f ing of structure, it flies. just past the middle, I began to see threads of Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Good job reflecting those themes and characters. Good read. some interesting political insights.
Glenda Rhodes
This book is probably more like a 3.5 or maybe 3.75, but that is only based on the last 25% of the book. I can't exactly pinpoint it, but this book was extremely hard for me to get into until most of the way through it. That said, the ending pulled a lot together while still opening up a path for the sequel and I would be willing to give the next book in the series a try.
Caroline
Apr 01, 2014 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club, kindle
I was annoyed with this book until about half way when the author FINALLY started pulling the various storylines together so that it made sense. Until then it was frustrating (for me) that the different stories took so long to start to connect. Obviously, I knew they would...I just hoped they would sooner. Once it got going, I thought I had figured out the twist. And I did, sort of. What I didn't figure out were ALL of the twists.

A good book. A quick read. Thumbs up!
betty butchko
Interesting book but lousy editing

The story, often getting bogged down in details, slowly gains momentum and becomes interesting to read. The editing is terrible . There are numerous spelling and grammatical mistakes. I must say that finally grabbed my attention after several weeks and became a page turner . But it took way too long.
Barb
Apr 16, 2015 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I anticipated a silly, mindless read. For awhile it was just what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised when the story turned out NOT to be a vapid romance but a mystery with lots and lots of twists and turns. The plot was truly the star in this one. Clearly set up for sequels, which I will probably enjoy. Hope the characters develop a bit more but if the author can continue to generate great plots like this one, I'll be quite happy.
Tricia Lewis
Jan 24, 2015 Tricia Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking!

I do not usually write reviews. The depth some reviewers go into is intimidating. So, although my review will not be with depth, I say READ THIS BOOK! It is intriguing and thought provoking. You will be entertained with knowledge of what really may be going on. Just think about it.
Tana
Nov 01, 2015 Tana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable ...

Wow. Just finished. What a ride. I could not put this book down.

All the characters, the plots and subplots twists and turns, it was unbelievable, but still possible. That's what made this book so good. It's entirely possible...

What's possible you ask? Read the book and decide for yourself. Feckin brilliant!
Laura Mascheroni
Really good!

I enjoyed this book from start to finish and had no clue as to how it would end...something I find to be an extreme rarity in the genre of suspense/thriller/espionage. Loved it and highly recommend! ....so long as there are more coming! :-)
Sonya
I was so distracted by all the grammatical errors in this book. Also, someone needs to let the author know there are only 30 days in November, not 31. I think the major reveal was also a bit long and drawn out. It was an okay book but I don't know if I would read anything by this author again or not.
Books-fly-to-me
Jun 29, 2015 Books-fly-to-me rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wild ride!

I was bogged down a little at the halfway mark not liking the government drones. Persevere, dear reader, it is worth wading through the government alphabet to experience the second half of the book.
mike jolly
May 16, 2015 mike jolly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice read.

Good who did what fiction. As you try to figure out who's on first, the author takes you all over the world. Involves the NSA, ICE and CIA in interagency politics. Quite the page turner about 1/2 way in.
Patti
Jul 14, 2014 Patti rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good thriller
Cleverly written with good development of characters, lots of twists & turns in the plot and an important theme given today's corporate culture. I can't wait to read the next book in this series to see where the author takes us.