Start by marking “The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide” as Want to Read:
The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide

The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide

The User Experience Team of One prescribes a range of approaches that have big impact and take less time and fewer resources than the standard lineup of UX deliverables. Whether you want to cross over into user experience or you're a seasoned practitioner trying to drag your organization forward, this book gives you tools and insight for doing more with less.
Published July 9th 2013 by Rosenfield Media (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The User Experience Team of One, please sign up.
Ilinalta I finished reading it. I would say the second half is just reference. The first half teaches you how to approach being a one-man team. It's still…moreI finished reading it. I would say the second half is just reference. The first half teaches you how to approach being a one-man team. It's still highly recommended for people in our situation.

I would give it a shot, but not sure if you truly need it if you're already knowledgeable in the different techniques such as design documents, user personas, sketching, group workshops, etc. (less)

Start your review of The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide
Dani Shuping
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review copy provided by O'Reilly Press

There are plenty of books on user experience, heck there are probably 5 more being written right now. So why should you read Leah Buley's "The User Experience Team of One?" Not only is this a well written book, but Leah also fills a current void in the UX literature, which is some of the challenges that someone might face trying to start a UX program at their POW. Leah not only answers addresses this challenge, but also provides a solid framework of how to
Graham Herrli
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people seeking to involve a wider team in UX work
Five of the ten chapters of this book are largely theoretical and aimed at people who don't know much about UX design. I didn't find these to be particularly useful.

The remaining chapters contain a mix of lightweight, collaborative methods aimed at getting the wider development team involved in UX design. In some cases, these methods were patently obvious (e.g. wireframes; did you know you can review wireframes with your team?), but in others they were useful outlines of quick ways to increase
Ryan Boone
A great handbook for the lone UXer

Leah has written what equates to a UX survival guide in The User Experience Team of One. Being in this position at my current place of employment, this book has empowered me to go forth and do more with what I have. This book is perfect for lone UXers and those who are just thinking of getting into the user experience field. Buy the ebook version so you'll always have an easily searchable copy. Buy the physical version because the Rosenfeld books are gorgeous.
Lee Gingras
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best UX primers I've read, and well-targeted at the wide market of people who have to do a little UX or go it alone. It does a good job of getting out of the "by-UX for-UX" echo chamber. Too bad it seems to be out of print - the digital version is still available, of course, but it makes it harder for me to recommend it to my students.
J
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, educational
This book presents a very structured and stylized approach to web design with an entire focus on the user experience. It's also a sort of hand-guide on how to deal with setting up the "UX" strategies it endorses and how to operate as a single man driving force for those same strategies.

The book rightly assumes that many web designers and professionals who find themselves suddenly behind the wheel of a design team in charge of web development, are often clueless about how to go about structuring
Leslie Liu
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book with a lot information about how to implement UX when there is just one UX designer in a company. The book was well-structure and has a clear introduction of many UX methods. I think some of them are quite useful and are able to make an individual more clear of what to do under various circumstances. You may also use it as a reference book, if necessary.
Celena
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is really a very practical no-nonsense guide for sole UI/UX designers in a corporation! The best for me were the possible ways that I can get feedback on my work without having to spend too much time and energy.
Norman
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux
A great book full of ideas to use in User Experience work.
Davood Torabzadeh
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't like this book, It just tells you methods without any path or direction. It's a UX Methos reference
Gricel
Reads a bit like an intro to UX textbook but has some good figures worth reviewing.
Maria Lasprilla
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book when we were a small team of product managers and product designers in the job. Often finding myself stuck in how to go on about a problem, and seeing that product designers were always full of work, I wanted to learn some more specific things about UX that I could apply myself to help move forward things without waiting for someone who already knew how to do it. Doing research, sketching ideas, presenting results.

Suddenly the team around me started growing really
Ivy DeWitt
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux-design
UX, while less new than many thing, is still a field where it feels really hard to grasp the basic concepts and get a good overview of what the field has to offer. This can be incredibly frustrating for newbies getting into the field (I fall in the first category), experienced UX designers attempting to get others onboard, and UX skeptics who don't understand the value or resources needed for the field.

As someone who wanted to get a better idea of the field for a career change, I was looking for
Ilinalta
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was highly recommended for people in the same position as me. After reading the book, I can see why. The first half of this book talked about what to do in the position of being the solo UXer in the company. How to speak to people to get them onboard with better ux, how to sell ux to the stakeholders and etc. I found the first half to be very helpful.

The second half of the book talks about the different techniques used for user research, gathering requirements, etc. I found this section to
Jose Luis Pajares
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For freelance UX practitioners who are starting to confront design projects alone, this book is still a must. Today there is much more literature online than when it was first published, but take into account that this is one of those sources that many "forget" to quote in their Medium articles.

To me still serves as a good reference to revisit methods that now are very well known, but to which Leah gives her own brilliant touches.
Jess
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Like with INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love, this isn't the kind of book I'm just going to recommend to everyone but it's very, very solid and actionable for people who are passionate about content strategy and user experience. I plan to use many of the tactics in here to get more done and expand my UX wheelhouse.
lisa
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good pamphlet on user experience methods for those starting out or just curious about the field, considering it was first published in 2008. A lot of what we do as designers revolves around the methods described, and now I know the "proper" names to those. But this is not an ideal format to consult these methods, given that nowadays we have so many sources of online quality material.
Julian Dunn
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit: I skimmed this book, mostly because I work in product management and this book was written at a time when UX was less well understood and more exposition for the purposes of buy-in was necessary. Also, I work with a UX counterpart every day, and while it's valuable for me to understand his work (and research/development techniques), I personally am unlikely to practice those skills that much.

That said, there's nothing *wrong* with this book per se; it's just showing its age a
Jody
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid UX guide for newcomers.

I had meant to read this years ago and finally got around to it. While it's always good to get fresh perspectives from trusted pros, I would have gotten more out if this when I first transitioned into the field.
Dominika
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux-design
In my opinion this books is perfect for newbies in UX and those who would like to break into UX design career.

For professionals with some years of experience this is more like a repetition and a good summary. I did find a few methods that I did not know before.

Well structured. Quick read.
Jocelyn Mit
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've recommended this to a few budding UX designers. It's a great starting point for anyone who would like to move into a UX role, or for juniors who transitioned into a UX role in a informal manner.
Tomi Ola
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The perfect companion for every UX practitioner; rookie and veteran alike.
Chi Pham
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive introduction on UX. Highly recommend for anyone who wants to start learning UX.
Ryan
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very helpful for figuring out how to pare down UX things and evangelize them when you have few resources. I will be keeping this one on my shelf at work!
Renato Poulicer
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book for me. Leah made a book that can be used for any designer and specially to those who work by themselves. There are a lot of great tecniques and I simply loved it.
Henry Cooksley
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually feel like I can do UX now - a great, practical book!
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design-and-ux
This is not a book to read all the way through and presents much more value as a source to reference. Still, great insight and helpful methods in being a 1 person UX team. Highly recommended.
Adib Hakim
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Leah shares in this book how to think about the user experience, tools with wide applicability that aids in the research and design process, as well as how to get others you work with on a project to share in the understanding of the benefits good UX Design can bring to your work. This book would more likely be used as a point of reference, since it contains both widely applicable tools as well as ideas that are especially useful for a particular project type. Four stars for this book because it ...more
Sharon
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a great book for someone like me who is familiar with UX but not very knowledgeable about the different methods and processes. I love how Leah broke each method or process down on how I can implement it in my company. Even before finishing the book, I've been referencing it to practice some of tips and methods, which has me contemplating to actually getting the actual copy of the book for easier reference.

The book also mentions ways that you can inspire and rally ux supporters in the
Erin
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the first 5% of this book and it was a little spooky how clearly the author was describing my situation at work. I've been struggling to get everyone at my firm, a traditional design agency, on board with approaching our work from the user perspective rather than simply from a design perspective. Sadly, many people in my industry still view UX work as new age mumbo jumbo, when in reality, it's a necessity for every well-made product, on the web and off. This book has validated everything ...more
Eve
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing go-to UX guide and great reference material. But it's also an enjoyable read, written in a very approachable and inclusive way. More than anything else, this book reminds designers that they're never an island and does a great job of encouraging them to share their work with the world - and how incredibly important sharing and feedback is to a successful project.

• Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Design Is a Job
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • The User's Journey: Storymapping Products That People Love
  • Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want
  • How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Many people make their way to user experience by crossing over from an adjacent field. These crossovers are the people who are carrying UX forward, taking it to new levels and new organizations.” 1 likes
“In June 2011, this message appeared on the Interaction Designers Association (IXDA) discussion list: I am at a point in my life where I know I want to do UX design after doing Web design for so long and then reading about usability testing, etc., 6 years ago. But my issue is I’m tired of working for orgs who say they care about their customer but don’t do testing to even know what their customers want from them... I’m kind of fed up with working for people who don’t get it.” 0 likes