Start by marking “Bloom: Or, the unwritten memoir of Tennyson Middlebrook” as Want to Read:
Bloom: Or, the unwritten memoir of Tennyson Middlebrook

Read Book

Bloom: Or, the unwritten memoir of Tennyson Middlebrook

But Lil’it is real, if no
Published July 8th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Bloom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloom

Barbara
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My brother recommended Bloom to me claiming it was amazing, even going as far to say that he would put it up there as one of his all time favourite books ever and if you knew my brother you would know that is a huge statement. I can tell you that this book did not disappoint in the slightest, wow, just wow. It was amazing. After reading it I would also say that this is one of my all time favourite books ever. I recommended it to my best friend and she thanked me for recommending it, gave it five ...more
Babette
As I started reading this book, I started to get that feeling that comes when you know you've discovered something special. The story swaps back and forth between two completely separate plots that slowly come together into a satisfying conclusion. The story is compelling, the settings are easy to picture, and the characters invoke emotion... sometimes sympathy, sometimes disgust.

I tried to put the book down to sleep, and ended up picking it back up because I couldn't get my mind off the story.
Nora Black
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bloom
By Martin Kee.

Bloom, or Scribblers disease is introduced as a horror fungus, a sprouting phenomena that is bound to keep you awake at night; however, it evolves into something far more complex and calculating--a measure of a wonderfully productive imagination. Bloom is the future, it is all knowledge, science and life. The story opens with two young characters; the male character's function is to protect and love the female, the female must protect and love the world. This is an adult fair
Tina
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
This book has become my favorite. It deserves 10 stars.

The story starts with the innocent childhood friendship between Allison and Tennyson. Those lazy summer days when you had fun exploring and playing outside. There friendship is one that endures over time. At the same time the book has a story within the story that you get glimses every other chapter about a fairy named lil'it. The stories seem completely separate until they start to intertwine near the end of the book.

The bloom is the plague
Tywyll
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arr
Quite an unique take on the post-apocolyptic-esque genre with a fantasy twist. I loved how the progression of the dual stories of Tennyson and Lil'it kept the reader wondering how are they connected. The reveal of how came gradually and added to the story's intrigue. For those two aspects alone, Bloom gets 5 stars. The things I really disliked about Bloom was the scenes of underaged drinking, (view spoiler) ...more
Cindy
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the best books I've read in a while, and it was a free kindle book, so doubly surprising! Two intertwined tales, one told in an apocalyptic future and the other is a twisted fairy tale. Believable and compelling characters along with an intriguing plot made this book a quick and enjoyable(for the most part, since parts are "grimm" indeed!) read.
Jule Mcalpin
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A truly original fantasy, post apocalypse, adventure story. The friendship of Allison and Tennyson is epic. The poisonous fairy is unlike anything I expected. The book is everything I didn’t know I wanted to read. Gorgeous world and perfect characters. It could not have been written any better. Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Hollie
I got this book as a freebie sometime back and finally got around to reading it. While I found the storyline creative I did find the dialogue to be somewhat choppy. It just didn't flow well for me personally.
Ken
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. What's keeping me from giving it four stars is the overall lack of depth and the amount of infodumps near the end.
Katia
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! Growing up and currently living in Visalia doesn't hurt. So original and engaging; recommending to fellow Visalians.
Tara
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. The two POVs kept me interested throughout the story and the ending brings it all together and ties it up beautifully. It was a very different apocalyptic story, though the bloom aspect reminded me a bit of The Girl With All the Gifts. Well worth picking up, glad I stumbled across this in my TBR list on my kindle.
Ian
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the fungus and the 2 parallel-ish narratives but really did not like the 25 year old guy fucking a 15 year old girl.
Sarah Goffman
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Bloom by Martin Kee is an unusual book. It is a book about two parallel universes that eventually become one.
"Tennyson Middlebrook never considered himself a storyteller. The fairy tales he invented for his childhood friend Allison were only meant as a distraction from their troubled lives. For Tennyson, the stories were a whim, meant only to offer comfort in a bleak time of mass extinction and despair. The characters in his stories never even had names... But Lil'it is real, if not quite human
Sara Snider
Bloom is a lovely telling of two seemingly different stories. There’s Tennyson and Lil’it—one a boy/young man whose story takes place in our world; the other a faerie, whose story is set in a different world altogether. It was fun and interesting reading about these two very different characters and worlds, wondering all the while how they were related.

That, I think, is the strongest quality of Bloom—the stories within the story, separate yet part of the whole. Wondering how the two worlds could
Eric Ponvelle
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Bloom is a parallel novel where two, unrelated characters are telling a seemingly unrelated story. The first story is about Tennyson Middlebrook, a boy who grows up during an outbreak of Bloom, a parasitic fungus. The second story is about a fae princess who lives in a world with no books.

The novel is engaging enough, but I found the sections about the fae to be a bit boring. Throughout Tennyson's story, he grows from about 5 or so until he is about 25, I think, at the novel's end. His character
Underground Book Reviews
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
When a prehistoric fungus that feeds on information is released back into the global waterways, the existence of humanity is threatened, and then changed forever.

Structured as a double-narrative that weaves itself together in the final chapters, Bloom: Or, the unwritten memoir of Tennyson Middlebrook is part sci-fi, part fantasy, and part apocalypse with a little bit of love story thrown in for good measure. Martin Kee’s novel alternates between the first person narrative of Tennyson Middlebrook
Leonora
Shelves: 2014
CJ
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Uneven but worth it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, even though the plot got a little clunky toward the end, and there were a couple unnecessary revelations that I thought could have been left mysterious. Still, it was a great ride, and had a few excellent things to say about the necessity of fiction. 3.5 stars, rounded up for a satisfying ending and because it's an independent title.
Nick
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay book that for the first part of it you think that there are two separate stories happening. Eventually by around 80% of the book the two stories start to merge and it makes sense why there are two seemingly separate things happening in the book.
Kim
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be one of the most intriguing I have read in years. It is weird, violent, scary, touching and creative. It is all I ask for in a book and kept me riveted throughout. READ IT!!
SSteppenwolFF
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Would have given this one 5 stars but for several editing mistakes . In spite of that this was a very goodread . Great original story that is well written (-editing) .
Lila Lockhart
This now sits up among my all time favorite books. It is woven beautifully, and was an absolute treat for my love of horror and fantasy.
Laura Beth
Apr 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, dnf
not what I was expecting. tried to push through it, but am giving up for now.
BobMoo
  • Tunnel Vision And Other Stories From The Edge
  • Irregular Creatures
  • The Drought
  • The Fate of Mice
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
  • The Red Queen Dies (Detective Hannah McCabe, #1)
  • Limbus, Inc. (Limbus, Inc #1)
  • The Camelot Papers
  • The Whimsical Life of Iris Shuester
  • On My Way to Paradise
  • Punk Land
  • A Tear in the Sky (Templar Chronicles #3)
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • The Wicked Day  (The Tormay Trilogy, #3)
  • Echoes of Old Souls
  • Project Superpowers
  • Starfall (Starfall, #1)
  • The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3)
Martin Kee is the author of A LATENT DARK and BLOOM: OR, THE UNWRITTEN MEMOIR OF TENNYSON MIDDLEBROOK as well as a number of short stories and video games. His books exist along the fuzzy borderlands of science fiction, fantasy, and horror, and have been described as strange, imaginative, and visceral, defying categorization in any specific genre. When he grows up, he'd like to be a starship pilot ...more