Start by marking “Edge of the Empire Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook” as Want to Read:
Edge of the Empire Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook

Edge of the Empire Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook

(Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)

It is a time of unrest and opportunity. The Empire struggles to maintain its grip on the galaxy in the midst of civil war. On the edge of the Empire, scoundrels and smugglers, bounty hunters and bandits, explorers and exiles all scramble for a living.

Embark on your own adventures in the Star Wars galaxy with the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Roleplaying Game. This complete
Published July 5th 2013 by Fantasy Flight Games

To ask other readers questions about Edge of the Empire Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of the Empire Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook

Seán
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of the FFG system - the dice-rolls can be a little complicated at first and rely on both the players and GM being able to come up with some interesting narrative events on the fly - but once you get into the swing of things this is a perfectly cinematic system that really helps to capture spirit of Star Wars. The focus here is on the more outer-rim planets and so the themes for games are often of the smuggling/heist nature. I've found that these sort of adventures are a perfect way ...more
Aaron
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing system. I want to play this for always.
David Stoneking
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great game, I'm running a campaign currently on roll20.net and even played a few games at home with my kids. It's a lot of fun.
Tara
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a terrific rule book to read through. The system is explained well and there is a lot of background information, so even someone who has no previous Star Wars knowledge can jump right in.
Randy Jarvis
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovely new cinematic system. With the right people gives a great Star Wars experience.
Krzysztof
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Preliminary rating based on a read through, no gameplay yet.

The mechanics are interesting and promising, I hope they deliver. I wasn't a fan of the custom dice, but I can slowly see the merits of having them.

Content-wise it's mostly good, but I have a few complaints of the usual kind - the focus is all over the place in the world-description sections. Too much information in one field (I doubt many people will make full use of all the different Imperial offices and bureaus), and too little in ot
Mark Austin
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've tried out pretty much every version of Star Wars RPG that has come out - the various incarnations of d6 back with West End, the d20 spree, and even the Buy-Our-Expensive-Unique-Dice version from Fantasy Flight.

Each had their advantages and drawbacks.

d6 had one of the hardest/longest/slowest Jedi paths, which felt right and its lack of levels made it seem more natural (the first level-less system I played). However, it has lots of fiddliness with modifiers and the amount of adding everyone d
Filip
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, rpgs
RPG in Star Wars... and what an RPG it is. While I'm not to keen on doing special sets of dice, everything else works really well. Even the dice themselves provide an interesting alternative to traditional rolling. Using the characters from the seedier parts of galaxy and making the setting a bit more low-key was also a great idea. Generally I like systems without levels and I'm torn about having professions or not and this system presents a great solution to it.

The books itself is done really w
Brady
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
11/10. I'm new to tabletop but this is an excellent entry for anyone unfamiliar or seasoned with Star Wars and tabletop/RPG mechanics in general. I've been running one-shots, playing in a campaign and writing up ideas for my own GM-ing. As expected, there's an entire galaxy of information on hand.

The narrative dice system is so much more fun than rules-lawyering and endless tables, really loving the narrative interpretations by both GM and players.
Jeffrey
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a review of reading the book, not playing the game. I will come back and revisit my review of this after I have run a few sessions.

Introducing a new dice system into the classic Star Wars Universe, Jay Little and Fantasy Flight Games attempt to launch a new system, as many others have, to replace the classic West End Games D6 version.

The book gets off to a poor start, perhaps assuming that they could just get everyone to say, "Star Wars, but the dirty grimy stuff," they elect to not in
Jeff Lanter
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I've read most of the rulebooks for Star Wars RPGs but never played a single one. I always wanted to, but was either intimidated by the rules or didn't have someone else equally interested in playing. Fortunately, this has changed because of Edge of the Empire.

Overall, this system favors cinematic moments and a collaboration between the players and GM. The dice can lead to all kinds of interesting results and the GM and players will have to use creativity to come up with interesting outcomes. Th
Christopher
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nothing in recent memory has captured my imagination quite like this rulebook. It provides almost all the necessary components to run your game, the framework for character creation, motivations and obligations for these characters, lists of skills they will have, the gear, tools, and starships to use, the minions and villains the players will face. The rest you need? -- players, dice, and your imagination.

Instead of encompassing all things Star Wars, this book is Han Solo and Chewbacca, Lando,
Sam
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaming
The narrative dice system is the primary draw here (there are other Star Wars games). I'm hard-pressed to think of a system that pushes narrative development through the game mechanics in a similar way. White Wolf had a multiple success system that could be interpreted similarly and (to a lesser extent) the Cypher system can generate GM interference and complications based on a single roll, but it's not quite the same as rolling triumph/despair and figuring out advantage/threat narratively.

The c
Diz
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg, star-wars
This latest Star Wars tabletop roleplaying game is a great system. It focuses more on the narrative of the story than on combat, which I enjoy much more. Also, skills play a big role in this system, so if you want to play a character who doesn't focus on combat, there is still a lot for your character to do. This particular book focuses on the smugglers, bounty hunters, and colonists of the Star Wars universe, so if you're looking to play a rebel or a Jedi, there will be other core system books ...more
Urbanmech
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the best Star Wars RPG made to date. Fantastic narrative dice help make nearly every roll interesting. The book could have used one or two more organizational passes as some rules are over explained and others hidden away in obscure locations. This does make learning the rules a little difficult, but once you have them down game play is very smooth.

Bottom line is that FFG has made a fantastic game with a beautiful rule book. If you like Star Wars and want a RPG set in that universe you
Raul
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A worthy role-playing and spiritual descendant of the West End Games version of the classic trilogy plus expanded universe. The unique interpretive story telling dice system makes this an intriguing system and one which emphasizes narrative over cumbersome rules, in other words, rulings not rules, role playing and not roll playing. The D20 has fallen. Long live the triumph and despair of Fantasy Flight Games' historic, game-changing effort!
Bill
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The system is excellent, both concrete and aiding in narration. It's fairly thorough, too, even including scale rules for the first time since WEG's D6 version.

The book is physically gorgeous, all high gloss and professional artwork. The text gets a bit verbose, but is generally solid. I would have liked a little more detain in the index.
Josiah
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At least on paper, this is the most impressive Roleplaying system I've seen.

Also probably the most comprehensive Star Wars IP info I've seen in a long time. Rational and detailed. At least as rational as pulp adventures in space can be.
C
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
As a reader, not a player, this game shows promise and takes a more narrative approach to the lore.
Abraham Ray
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
nice star wars rpg book!
Aaron
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite RPG.
Frank
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
It is a good book but the real proof is in the playing which I have yet to do. Graphically, the book is gorgeous. It is well presented.
Matthew Bane
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Love this game. The book is laid out nicely too.
Ryan
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this rpg, just wish I had more time to play it
Daniel Yocom
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can't say anything yet. I read this for a review to be posted for Utah Geek Magazine, on their website, and for Guildmastergaming@blogspot.com.
John Dodd
Sep 18, 2013
Michael Lee Higginbotham
May 02, 2019

• Numenera Corebook
  • Trail of Cthulhu (Trail of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Eclipse Phase: The Roleplaying Game of Transhuman Conspiracy and Horror
  • Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook (Star Wars RPG D20)
  • Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorers Edition
  • Fate Accelerated
  • Rules Compendium: A Game Reference for All Players (4th Edition D&D)
  • Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
  • Shadowrun
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook
  • Eberron Campaign Setting (D&D: Eberron)
  • Fate Core System
  • Monster Manual
  • Princes of the Apocalypse
  • Mouse Guard: Roleplaying Game
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Stock #2101)
  • Mutants & Masterminds: RPG

Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
  • Game Master's Kit (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)
  • Beyond the Rim (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)
  • Enter the Unknown (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)
  • Suns of Fortune (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)
  • Dangerous Covenants (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)
  • The Jewel of Yavin (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)
  • Far Horizons (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)
  • Lords of Nal Hutta (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)
  • Fly Casual (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire)