Start by marking “Detained” as Want to Read:

Detained

From one of Australia's hottest new authors comes a story about an international scandal, a billionaire, and a fearless reporter who might just save the day...

Confined in a cold, dull room in the depths of a Shanghai airport, a journalist chasing a career break and a businessman with a shadowy past play a game of truth or dare — deliberately not exchanging names.

They tell
Published September 1st 2013 by Escape Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Detained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detained

✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

OMG - can a book be any better than this one???

I started reading with not very high hopes - I read the blurb and thought - hm yeah well - this book will probably have 150 pages and the whole book will be in that airport-room and they will have sex and then there will be a happy end!

I WAS SOOO WRONG!

Yes - we start out in that cold airport room - well no - we don't actually.

description

Darcy is on her way from Sydney to Shanghai for an interview that will either make or break her career as a Journalist for t
Brooke
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, favorites, re-read
HOLY. FUCKING. SHITBALLS!!! WOW. JUST WOW...

I don't even know where to begin with this review or what to say. I loved every mind-blowing fucking word of this book!!! It was high energy, intense, suspenseful, incredibly romantic (like bone melting romantic) and it just absolutely blew my fucking mind! My blood is pumping and I'm giddy with admiration for this author! I feel like I do after I finish a Nelson Demille novel! And that's a rare and special feeling for me. Like I just had the most amaz
Kate Sherwood
Sep 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
DNF. I bought it by accident, I guess... well, I bought it on purpose, but I didn't realize who the author was.

And I had the same problem with this book that I had with other books by the same author. Her heroes do things that I find virtually unforgivable (in this case...(view spoiler)
Margay
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really wasn't sure what to make of this book because I had a certain opinion of it based on the blurb, but it veered off into directions I didn't anticipate and became so much more than what I expected. Given the description, I thought the whole book was going to take place in that one room - or at least the bulk of it. As it turns out, that is just a small part of the book and is over quicker than I expected. This is when the book veers off into directions I never expected.

I'm not going to gi
Shirley Buchanan
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From a game of truth or dare to a roller coaster ride of international scandal, this story pulls a fearless investigative reporter and reclusive billionaire on a ride that changes all they believe over and over. At the end of the ride will they be together or further apart than ever?

Having award winning reporters in both her dad and her brother, Darcy Campbell, for once, wanted to do a story that would make they sit up and take notice. Even with her job at the Herald, they had never considered h
Karen
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Detained by Ainslie Paton was completely unexpected. I was expecting a witty contemporary romance because I have read other books by this author. What I got was so much more. This book could easily be tagged as contemporary romance, erotic romance and romantic suspense. Add to that some darkness and angst. Then contrast it all with sweetness and redemption. I realise this sounds like a book with an identity crisis but it works, and it works
Jenny Schwartz
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I hate spoilers, which makes this a damn difficult review to write. I want to talk about the story's twists and turns, and about the hero. You're in for one hell of a journey with Will.

Darcy is a genuine heroine. Not perfect, but not TSTL. She has reasons for everything she does, and she owns the consequences of her actions.

This is a love story that doesn't play nice. It's real and it's compelling.

One final point. The scenes are so vividly described and perfectly linked into the emotional develo
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received from Netgalley for honest review

I didn't know what to expect when I picked up this book - which I think is a good thing anyway.

After reading the blurb, it sounded like everything would happen while being detained in an interview room at an airport. So wrong - the story begins after they leave the airport!

Darcy Campbell is an ambitious reporter for a Sydney newspaper. She gets flown to Shanghai for the career break she needs - an exclusive interview with reclusive Australian billion
Kanoko
Twists and turns, and I loved every page of it. If I had to be honest, I'd say most of what happened later in the book were nothing but padding—and intentionally over the top, maybe?—written to make the book unnecessarily long, but eff me if I didn't think it worked. In the end, I thought, sheesh, if I didn't know better, I'd say all those were essential to the story. They probably were.

Thrown off by the writing style at first. It was, I dunno, a bit too breezy? But once I got past that, well, I
Ragatnia Clara
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Darcy. A beautiful journalist who has a mission to interview the richest Australia businessman comes to Shanghai and being detained for five hours with one man. Being together with stranger, Darcy suggested to play Truth or Dare. Without giving their name, they slowly unfold the truth, even the painfully one.

Will. A billionaire who established his business in China and suddenly expands his business in his home country, attracts the media attention because of his privacy. His head of PR decided
Emily
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book shined in the dialogue between the two main characters. This is an Australian contemporary romance by an Australian author, so the spelling/grammar took a while to get used to as an American reader not familiar with all the spelling/grammar variants between Australian English & American English; ultimately, I think that just lent to the authentic feeling of the characters and settings for me. The plot was interesting, but man oh man was there a lot of angst rolling off the hero! Wh ...more
Sheree
I'm blaming Kathryn @ Book Date for this one HA, Ainslie Paton is an Australian author I hadn't read or even heard of until I read Kathryn's review of Detained. This is story that benefits from going in 'blind' so I'm not going to give much away. Let me just say I was expecting one thing and got a whole lot more.

Journalist Darcy Campbell has just snagged a career making interview with the reclusive Will Parker, Australian billionaire entrepreneur living in Shanghai. I loved both characters, far
Jammie
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
By Ainslie Paton
Sheesh, I wasn’t sure I would come out of this book alive! I was taken by this book with the first glance of the cover, I don’t even know if I read the synopsis before I started reading it. And I have to say it was a little bit of a slow starter but then it took off like a shot out of a gun. But even during the slow start or should we say ground work for this book, it was hot & seductive. While I’m writing this I don’t want to spoil any part of it. Detained was expert
Kaitlin
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved it! Ainslie Paton can do no wrong!
Mmeguillotine
Well written, expertly packed with action while never sacrificing nuance, character growth or love story arc. The hero of this story starts out as (for me) compelling but unlovable. His arrogance and the choices he makes (and have made in the past) do not belong to the kind of man that I find acceptable in real or book life. Things happen though. A lot of things happen, and I don’t just mean between the hero & heroine. We see what has shaped the man and how he begins to become a better man. ...more
LaLa
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-us
Good plot and story, but the prose and character development was a little odd. However, it may just have been a cultural thing.
Clahh
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well written and starts really well. Interesting plot and characters. The ending is a bit confusing and over complicated, though.
Jo
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cont-rom
I normally like Ainslie Paton's stories but this one had SO MUCH DRAMA! Also, I dislike violent, deceitful heroes.
NomdePlumePress
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Aussie journo Darcy is off to Shanghai to score a rare interview with recluse expat steel tycoon Will Parker. But she gets detained by immigration with an attractive fellow countryman. When they get bored and chilly, they play truth or dare. Things get pret-ty interesting.

But their actions blow Darcy’s chance at the interview. They have even worse consequences for the interviewee.

I was intrigued by the premise of Detained: two people trapped together, growing bored, playing truth or dare, and th
Ava
ARC was given by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review

This book was an unbelievable reading that led to a 5 lovingly stars.

This was just my second book from this author and received this book last year but got to read it now. What I found both books in common were the writing style how the author put character so real but also so far away.

It took me like a week to finish this book but from 40% to the finish line it was quite fast like less than a day. It wasn't a hard b
Ipshita Ranjana
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite, hj

In Detained by Ainslie Paton,Darcy is determined to get an interview from reclusive business man and CEO of Parker Industries,Will Parker.She goes to Shanghai for her big break in journalism only to find herself detained with a business man for five hours in an icy and small room.To pass the time both of them start to play a truth or dare but as the game progresses,secrets tumble out and things start becoming more personal as a dare leads to one hot steamy kiss and a wild illicit night.

Their me
Jane Hunt
Detained by Ainslie Paton

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+

This isn't a sweet romantic tale but it's a beautifully poignant love story, with a realistic urban edge and an exciting blend of angst and heat. The storyline is not unique but portrayed in an interesting and believable way with strong, flawed but essentially likeable characters. Damaged and shaped by their childhoods Will and Darcy share many characteristics and beliefs, when outwardly they
Dayna
Darcy Campbell works as a journalist for the Herald in Sydney, Australia. She gets a career making interview with the recluse, thirty something, bachelor, billionaire, businessman, "Will Parker". Will Parker has never allowed himself to be interviewed until now.

On Darcy's way to the interview she get's detained by the airport security at the Shanghai airport for a invalid passport. They put her in a freezing cold room while they get her passport straightened out. A few hours later they bring in
Donna McBroom-Theriot
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Detained is a book full of twists and turns, and most you will not see coming. How do you write a book review without giving away everything? This book is full of action and love and just so many happenings and emotions that to try to not give out spoilers would be impossible.

Darcy Campbell is a reporter on a story and Will, a businessman, is out to keep his life private. The two collide in a Shanghai airport and life will never be the same. The story takes off like a roller-coaster and doesn’t
The CurvyJones
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2013
I really enjoyed this page-turner of story by Ainslie Patton! I heard about her book on twitter, read a few blogs about it, it seemed interesting so I snapped it up.

I should say, first off, that I wasn't overly impressed with our hero Will. He's sneaky and standoffish, really underhanded and uses his passion and money to distract Darcy. Time and time again, she is screwed over, thrown under the bus, pushed away. Time and time again, she comes back for more.

She is persistent, I must say that fo
Shannon L. Gonzalez
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Detained by Ainslie Patton

A gritty, knock-you-around romance that keeps you suspended until the very end!

Ainslie Patton had her work cut out for her when she created these two characters and brilliantly it worked. It was filled with unexpected events that kept the reader wondering. Detained, an apt name for the book as it will keep the reader detained in the chair until the end. Then the reader will want to book to continue even after the last page.

The characters are well conceived, and convinc
Cathy
Detained is a contemporary novel written by Ainslie Paton, who also mixes the erotic and thriller genres.
It is a story easy and quick to read, with an accelerated pacing . Full of action scenes and some erotic scenes well delineated. The best point of this book is that the main characters are strong. Darcy is the typical woman without emotional life and very dedicated to her work, while Will is a rich and arrogant, that only has superficial love affairs.
Although being a book that reads well, it'
Amanda
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
**Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

I thought this was an interesting concept. It didn't play out the way I wanted it to though. First of all, why would you have the hero purposefully detain a reporter that you requested to come interview you? Then, get into a game of sex truth or dare (again, knowing this person was there to interview you)?

The hero in this story was over the top controlling in all things in his life. I can understand some part of it due to what you lear
Mary Jones
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: escape, influences
Ainslie Paton's Will is a billionaire; driven, complicated - and an engrossing character. This isn't a fairy tale of poor little girl falls in love with a billionaire who sweeps her off her feet and provide everything she needs for the rest of her life. No, it's much, much more than that.

Darcy Campbell has to fight to prove her journalism credentials, and elusive billionaire, Will Parker, is the interview subject that is going to make her career. Unfortunately, Will is nothing like she imagined.
Aussie Jo
I was very excited to recently discover an Author new to me: Ainslie Paton. I thought her newly released 'Floored' was fantastic and was therefore excited there was more where that came from.

Unfortunately for me I struggled to connect with the first half of this book. I ran through the scenarios in my head and I don't really have much of an explanation for it. There was a lot going for the book, but to be honest if I had not been so impressed previously by the Author, I would have stopped readin

• Chaos Bound (Chronicles from the Applecross #2)
  • The Man Plan
  • Under the Hood (Under the Law #2)
  • Domino Effect (Domino, #1)
  • Northern Heat
  • Stranger At The Beach House
  • A Basic Renovation
  • Choosing Chase
  • Holding Out For A Hero
  • Wish
  • Rough Diamond (The Erica Jewell Series Book 1)
  • A Kiss of Lies (The Disgraced Lords, #1)
  • Silver Fire (Guardians, #2)
  • Window (Paris Secrets, #1)
  • Saved By The Bride (Wedding Fever, #1)
  • Drive Me To Distraction
  • In Safe Hands (Grace & Poole, #1)
  • Devil In My Arms (The Saint's Devils, #3)
Ainslie Paton always wanted to write stories to make people smile, but the need to eat, accumulate books, and have bedclothes to read under was ever present. She sold out, and worked as a flack, a suit, and a creative, ghosting for business leaders, rabble-rousers, and politicians, and making words happen for companies, governments, causes, conditions, high-profile CEOs, low-profile celebs, and th ...more