Start by marking “The Retirement Maze: What You Should Know Before and After You Retire” as Want to Read:
The Retirement Maze: What You Should Know Before and After You Retire

The Retirement Maze: What You Should Know Before and After You Retire

This book looks at retirement beginning before it starts and considers not just the positive rewards of this stage of life but also the attendant emotions, difficulties, and obstacles retirees must face, no matter their age when they retire. It includes firsthand accounts and is based on results gleaned from a survey of more than 1400 retirees.
Published February 16th 2014 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Retirement Maze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Retirement Maze

Ellen
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This is not a personal finance book. This is a psychology self-help book.
Criticisms are amply deserved. For some reason, the authors find it necessary to repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and REPEAT every point, and then to illustrate it with a bogus "first person" narrative. These narratives are too uniform in voice, and i conclude they were fabricated.
You could read the first paragraph or two of each chapter, and have absorbed the entire message. There are still some worthwhile lessons
Jo
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
If you haven't read any other retirement books this is chock full of good information. My problem is that I have read quite a few other books on getting and being ready for retirement, and this book says the same thing that others do but in a MUCH more negative cast. I prefer the more upbeat versions as they more mirror what I know from retired friends. Moreover, the survey he bases his dismal findings on is small, only 1200 people.
Jen
I was hoping this would be more specific to what preparations you should do - especially financially. Unfortunately, it was more a self help book about feeling useful after retirement which doesn't really apply to me. They tried to add some research in but their sample size was small and it didn't seem to add a lot of value. Ended up about 3 chapters in and not finishing.
Maureen
has some good information but very repetitive, and it would have been helpful to have more bullet point types of summaries on the information. I did get quite a bit of food for thought from it though.
Timothy Stobbs
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book for what to expect from your retirement but it mainly focuses on the mental transition and avoids talking about money for the most part.
David
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last year I decided to prepare for retirement by reading some books on the subject. Unlike many books that focus on finances this book actually talks about other things one should consider. Since the authors are researchers they base their comments on surveys they conducted from 1500 people who are already retired. They address their research to many helpful topics: change in role identity when the work ends, the different stages of retirement, refocusing on a new routine and developing a new sc ...more
Tom Statton
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book. Yes, it uses a lot of research studies, but that is better than just offering an opinion. Most retirement books deal primarily with financial issues. The Retirement Maze deals with many other types of issues as well as emotional aspects. For instance the more activities you have that will continue after retirement, the easier the transition will be. Women transition a little better at the beginning but later are similar to men. Men have trouble if their whole identity is tied u ...more
Betsy Eaton
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the book for the library, but it hasn't gotten to the shelves there yet. It's sobering, as I approach my October retirement. I wish I had the time to take the advise I'm reading, but have littered the book with post-its and share them with Mike.
Kevin
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I didn't get much out of this book, it was mainly a lot of statistic's compiled from an online survey, while it did open my eyes to a few problem areas it didn't offer much in the way of practical advise.
Sharon