Start by marking “The Selection Stories: The Prince & The Guard (The Selection, #0.5, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Selection Stories: The Prince & The Guard (The Selection, #0.5, #2.5)

The Selection Stories: The Prince & The Guard

(The Selection #0.5, 2.5)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  33,841 ratings  ·  2,058 reviews
Two novellas set in the world of Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series are now available in print for the first time. The Prince and The Guard both offer captivating views into the hearts and minds of the two men fighting to win America Singer's love. This collection also features exclusive bonus content, including a sneak peek at The One, the eagerly ...more
Published February 4th 2014 by HarperTeen (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Selection Stories, please sign up.
Ahy It is about Maxon and Daphne... before Maxon fall in love with America witch happens quick;)
Sara i loved them all they are so good once you open the book you couldn't close it!!!!

·  33,841 ratings  ·  2,058 reviews

Start your review of The Selection Stories: The Prince & The Guard (The Selection, #0.5, #2.5)
Caz (littlebookowl)
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
I read The Prince a while ago and gave it 3/5 stars, but I've finally read The Guard and did not love (1.5/5 stars).

At least it has given me a bit of a refresher for the series, so I can continue on with The One and remember a little of what had happened before (I've totally forgotten most of it).
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
Both of these novellas were fast passed and really easy to read. They were not the best but still, I'm very happy I took the time to read them. I recommend reading this especially fans of The Selection series because it does give some good insights :)

The Prince: ★★★✰✰

“There was something about her.. Even the way she didn't like me drew me in, and I couldn't help but smile.”

This one was just alright. I didn't love it but I can't say I hated it either. It's written in Prince Maxon's POV which was
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
A quick breakdown of everything:

The Prince
-cute & adorable
-MAXON <3
-loved the two extra chapters of his POV

The Guard
-HATED IT.
-Aspen stinks
-So boring
-Cheesy
-Failed attempt at making people Team Aspen
-Successful attempt at making more money by enticing people to buy this book

First Three Chapters of The One

-Hilarious playlists
-Names of the Selection girl
Camille Baril-Ali
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, like, if you don't like Aspen Leger after reading the guard, don't talk to me.
QueenMasako
Yay!! I've finished the book! Reading this made me realize:
1. The king is even more of an asshole and I hate him more.
2. Maxon is even hotter.
3. That Selection list was a nice touch!
8/3/14
Oh my gods. I FINALLY have the Selection Stories After waiting SIX FREAKING MONTHS on hold for it at my state library.
WAIT. The Prince and The Guard short stories for the Selection Trilogy AND A SNEAK PEAK OF THE ONE??!!!! HOW COULD THIS GET ANY BETTER?!!!!
YAY A COVER!!!!!!!
merina rey
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I hated The Prince. I’m of the unpopular opinion that Maxon sucks.
I enjoyed The Guard which only made me love Aspen more.
I will forever ship Aspen and America. 💜🤭🤫
Anjie Basi
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I love Maxon's short story and his point of view. I think, no I know, that it just made me love him even more. I love the extended scene for his part. Absolutely fawning over it. As for Aspen's short story, I really tried. I did. I do not like him, not in Selection, not in Elite and I can care less for his point of view. It actually aggravated me even more. He was too ignorant for me. I couldn't stand it. I found myself skimming through his parts. I did however like that he took his time to hang ...more
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Immediately read the sneak peek at The One, followed by the extra info, followed by the extended version of The Prince and The Guard. This was well-worth the $10, guys. I'm gobbling this up like candy.

Review to come.
Selene
May 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars

The Prince (Maxon) - 2 Stars
The Guard -(Aspen) - 1 Star
Bren
This did not really snag me in the way The Selection and the two follow up books did. This is a short read and it is sort of a Prequel but also follows the first few days of the Selection.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this book at all and being a huge Selection fan I am glad I read it. But it really was not a page turner in the way the three books in the series are.
Niamh
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved the prince.
Hated the guard.
Dying for the rest of the one!
Team MAXON <333
Riley
May 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian
I liked The Prince but I didn't like The Guard because I honestly just hate Aspen so much.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh I just love Maxon so much.
Bea Casallecchio
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, my obsession with The Selection continues. It took me so long to find this book for sale in brazil, but FOUND IT!
Okay, to start with, i have to say im a little sad. I honestly don't like Aspen, but he takes like 70% of the book hahah. Still, it was good to see everything from his perspective.

The Prince:
I love how since the beginning he kind of knew America was the one. I don't know, but just seeing how he felt towards King Clarkson, and the Selection, gave him a more "I'm not just a prince,
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait until the release of The One so I'll take every bit of extra I can. I think The Guard was supposed to make you like Aspen more...and I don't hate him I just decided who I wanted America to be with a long time ago. Worth the read!!!
Maddie
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
The Prince - This was SO lovely! I loved Maxon when reading 'The Selection', so reading from his perspective was really cute (just like him, aha!) Seriously, he's a precious little prince that America better be appreciating.

The Guard - Aspen was like my least favourite character, so I didn't quite know how I'd feel about it (and him) but this proved he had some redeemable qualities and I liked how it set up a closer relationship between him and the maids. It really added sense to 'The One'.

I th
Rachael
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it

Kristina Horner
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, dystopian
To be perfectly honest, I really don't think this book added anything to the Selection Series.
It mostly rehashed scenes we've already experienced (but from the male's point of view, whoop-de-do) so it felt a little tedious, basically reliving conversations we've already seen. I was really hoping for backstory on these guys, or things going on with them that we couldn't see from America's point of view. Not the case.

Maxon's just made him look naive and a little pathetic - it was cheesy, poorly w
thebookbitch
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm so happy that I read these 2 novellas because I've missed the world of The Selection. It may not be the best but Kiera knows how to write amazing male characters. If I'm honest though The Prince was by far the better novellas and should have been longer. The Guard was okay, but I've never been the biggest Aspen fan. Had his novellas focused on him and Lucy then I probably would've given it a higher rating.

The Prince - 4.5 Stars

The Guard - 3.5 Stars
Jerry
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
The short stories were good, but, the rest of it was just filler. Unless you're a diehard fan of the series, you can safely skip this one.
Guiana
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
» 3.5 stars

"Eh. Everything doesn't seem like anything when you love someone. Especially when you're young."

disclaimer: the last The Selection book I read—The Heir—was three years ago so my memory of the series is stilted and nearly nonexistent, and this particular review doesn't exactly reflect any of those others with the same knowledge, except that I was largely and still am, as this book proves, biasedly Maxon > Aspen. not an attack, it's just that Maxon, y'know?

warnin
Lissy Liz
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, since I'm crazy like that. Once I start a series I have to finish it!! What can I say.
Mehsi
Review for the Guard (since I already read the Prince several months ago).

Let's just say, I am all team Maxon, and this book made me go for Maxon even more. Maxon!

God, Aspen is urgh, blergh. He broke up with America, but for some reason still thinks she is HIS girl. No she isn't boy, no she isn't. You know you broke up with her at the beginning??? Did you forget all about that?
And oh wow, her face looks that way, omg omg she loves me! Wait what? Sure you know her and all, but deducting from suc
Dóri
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice addition to the story, because we can see the thoughts of Maxon and Aspen, however, it was kinda boring as I've already read about these events in America's point of view. As I obviously knew what was gonna happen, it did feel like a re-read, and for me it was too soon after reading the trilogy, so it wasn't really exciting.
I remember hating Aspen when reading the trilogy, but now I just didn't. I didn't love Maxon and didn't hate Aspen, just had no feelings for the characters at
Ashley Daviau
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I did find these stories to be a bit repetitive as we had already seen them from America's perspective in the first two books, I did enjoy them nonetheless. It was interesting to read about the beginnings of the Selection from Maxon's view in the first story. And then we switched to Aspen's point of view for a story from later on in the Selection which was just as interesting! All in all I did enjoy both stories and thought they were a nice little interlude before starting the third book i ...more
Assumpta Nina
I think Im going to di- *happily faints into the depths of darkness and dramatically evaporates into twilight mist*
Allison
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply can't wait for book 4
Paula  Phillips
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it

This was a series when it was released as ARCS, I read all three books as advanced review copies and loved it to bits. Then her daughter's series was released, and I didn't enjoy it as I found her daughter to be a spoilt brat, and it put a damper on this series for as I all of a sudden no longer wanted to read the short stories. Now on medical leave, I had lots of time on my hand and decided to go back and read some of my older reads, which included The Prince and The Guard. As soon as I opened
Stephanie • Ideally Inspired
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved getting glimpses of Maxon and Aspen's POV. I especially loved getting a little more insight into what was going on with them during books 1 & 2, and in some ways, try to sort out which one I felt would be a more ideal match for America. Before reading Aspen's novella (The Guard, book #2.5), I was completely on board for Team Maxon. Now, after reading it, I'm still...Team Maxon, but I have feels for Aspen. hahaha

All I know is, I sure hope that America ends up with Maxon, and that Aspen ca

• After The One
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
  • Four: A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1-0.4)
  • The White Rose (The Lone City, #2)
  • Coeur poivré (Les filles au chocolat, #5 3/4)
  • Los cinco continentes del amor
  • The Black Key (The Lone City, #3)
  • Dom Ziemi i Krwi. Część 1 (Księżycowe miasto, #1A)
  • Reached (Matched, #3)
  • Bloedlijst (Team Mortis, #6)
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
  • P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • La ladrona de la luna (El príncipe del sol, #2)
  • Gossip Girl Boxed Set (Gossip Girl, #1-3)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)