Start by marking “Playing Grace” as Want to Read:
Playing Grace

Playing Grace

Grace Surtees has everything carefully under control – her work life, her home life and her love life – especially her love life.

But then her boss hires Tate Saunders, a brash American, to spice up the gallery tours his company provides. Messy and fond of breaking rules, Tate explodes into her tidy existence like a paintball, and Grace hates everything about him…

…doesn’t s
Published August 15th 2013 by Quercus (first published August 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Playing Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing Grace

Rea Cobb
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved Hazel Osmond’s two previous books, they have left a lasting impression on me and I often recommend both Who’s Afraid of Mr Wolfe and The First Time I saw Your Face to people who are looking for a fantastic read. I have been eagerly awaiting the release of Playing Grace so as soon as it arrived on my door step I couldn’t wait to get started.

Grace has everything in order, she likes her routines and feels settled when things are going smooth, but when her boss employs Tate who is
Zarina
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
As a tour guide Grace has the opportunity to show visitors some of the finest London art institutions. Her love for the more conventional works is obvious from the way she animatedly talks about them and their creators to her charges. But when one day an obnoxious and irritating American butts into her tour and suggest that perhaps she's not quite as knowledgeable as she thinks she is it really gets under her skin.

So when after this disastrous encounter her scatterbrain boss introduces her to th
Rhin
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
**Review originally posted on my blog**

The striking synopsis definitely adds to the mysterious characterization of Grace. From the moment I began reading, I would never have doubted her. Hazel Osmond’s portrayal of Grace comes out as someone who is reliable and trustworthy. Her organizational skills and control are also exceptional. Moreover, her enthusiasm towards the traditional arts is evident, but what catches my attention most is her attachment to an icon in the gallery. Everything falls ri
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Grace is a woman who likes to have everything under control – she likes her little home life and having everything in its place. She works in an art gallery providing tours to customers, a job she is ever so passionate about, and in her spare time at work, organises her boss and all of his paperwork or daily problems. Everything is great – that is, until her boss Alistair hires Tate, a lively American man to shake things up a bit and provide a more modern and upbeat side to the tours. But Tate i ...more
Keely
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
The first half of the book was very slow but the pace picked up in the second half to become an enjoyable read.
Bilyana
Not bad love novel.
Leah
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
When Hazel Osmond asked me if I’d like to review her new novel Playing Grace, it was a definite for me. I had previously spotted the novel on Amazon, and I loved the sound of it, and I really, really liked the sepia-toned cover with the pinky purple font. As soon as it arrived, I whacked it straight to the top of my TBR pile and with a beautiful day off ahead of me, I knew Hazel’s novel was just the ticket to fill my day, and it was a brilliant read.

Playing Grace is set in the art-world, somethi
Redfox5
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Won this book from Goodreads First reads*

I don't think that I've ever done such a u-turn on my feelings for a character in my whole life. I HATED Tate. HATED! I just wanted him to leave Grace alone. I was feeling how Grace was, he was bugging me just as much. When the plot started to twist and lead us down a false path, thinking that Tate was an art thief, I was like YES! Good! I don't like him and I want him to be the bad guy. I was also feeling clever because I thought I'd guessed the twist..
Sophiebanks
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I really do not know what to think to this book... Did I like it? Did I dislike it? Did I care about the characters? Hmm.
I will start off by saying that I read Hazel Osmond's first book Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe and I would say it's among my favourites. I then read The First Time I Saw Your Face and I also enjoyed that. So I did have really high hopes for this book! However, I'm sad to say that I feel a bit deflated.
Although I think the storyline was good and it was an easy read I did feel lik
Smelleykins
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, four-star
This book drove me crazy. I liked it, then I didn’t like it. It made sense, it didn’t. It was just wonderful. Admitidly at the start, I was bored, I didn’t like some of the characters, Tate especially and the whole story idea just didn’t blow me away. But i won’t leave a book unfinished.

So i ploughed on and wow, i figured i loved it. The start is slow, but once you get past that, then the middle and end are just great. It’s where everything finally starts to make sense and comes together.

There w
Dessyslava Timcheva
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
At first I thought i wouldnt write anything about this book because a bad review isnt worth writing but then I read the last phrase where the lady gets rid of her shoes and I told my self ''that is a load of ****''.I dont mind that type of chick lit,in my life i had read a lot of serious litrature and a lot of chick lits as well but this one...it was just ridiculous.So many pages and very few worth being published.And yet I am giving it two stars because i cannot stand the thought of having read ...more
Nina Draganova
Нямам представа защо и откъде ми попадат все по-шантави книги.И тази не прави изключение.Много трудно следвах нишката на историята,а тя е доста дълга, и през цялото време се питах : "Какъв Love bestseller е това?".Случките се случват почти накрая, в последните страници,ако някой има сили да я прочете докрай.Може би ,защото на места имаше прояви на свежо чувство за хумор,затова и я дочетох.
M1ku
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was a total surprise, I didn't expect to find a reference to my city on it. I was born and I live in San Sebastián and when I first read my town's name on the book I had to read it twice and I did underline it. The story is catchy and the reading is vey smooth. Might not be my favorite Hazel's book but it's definetly the one I have more affection for.
Lorraine
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Received this book as a goodreads giveaway. Really enjoyed the book, there were some very interesting characters. When I first started reading I thought Grace was older than she was as she was very staid but then found out she had a bit of a wild background. Tate came into her life and turned it upside down. Will definately read Hazel Osmond's other books.
June Kearns
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Playing Grace was a really great read from a new author for me.
Hazel Osmond doesn't hide her intelligence, but writes with wit and great charm.
Her large cast of quirky secondary characters were so well-developed, that any one of them could have taken centre stage, at any time.
Very different, very enjoyable.
Am going back to read her others.
Elephas
I learn much about arts from this book. The characters are full of themselves and each characters are skilfully brought to live by having some sort of a disorder or issue to them...Well,I took my time on this book. Once I got passed 40% of the pages, I finished the book in two days.
Denitsa
Pat Elliott
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Hazel's that I've read - and I really enjoyed it.
The main characters were so well described they could have been real. I was interested in Grace and her story, so much so that I read some of the book each day. It definitely kept me coming back for more.
Nathalie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, I was so intrigued with what grace's back story was that I had to keep reading. I am still thinking of the characters now! I like Hazel Osmond as an author, and look forward to her next book.
Rachel Lyndhurst
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the intriguing characters in this book and the moments of eye-popping dark humour that appear throughout. The plot has some lovely twists,turns and surprises and it's got to be one of the best books I've read in 2014. And I bought it in Tescos! Bloody brilliant all round.
Marina
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars
Agi
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Review to come of course but first off for holidays:)
Pauline
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a little boring at first (more like half of the book). Grace has a lot of issues with herself and her past that she couldn't just let go and let Tate in.
Mirela
May 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
http://booksasme.blogspot.bg/2016/05/... тук може да видите тази и други предложения за летни четива. :D
Amber Olson
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet book, a fun and easy little read. It picked up steam along the way, but got off to a bit of a slow start. Ended up really loving it though.
Hajira
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ok book a bit draging would give it 2,5 stars liked wolfe a lot better
Jennie Harrison
Sep 02, 2014
Jen
Nov 07, 2016
Alex Zitkus
rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2016

• Cooking Up a Storm
  • The Foster Husband
  • Me and You
  • Coming Home
  • Honeycote (Honeycote, #1)
  • Ways to See a Ghost (Ways To See A Ghost #1)
  • Take A Look At Me Now
  • A French Affair
  • One Glass Is Never Enough
  • Glittering Fortunes
  • Up Close
  • Wicked Wives
I live in Northumberland; I'm married with two teenage daughters and for twenty years I've been an advertising copywriter. I have a clean driving licence, (apart from where I dripped nail varnish on it) and am not yet at that age where I've started to grow a moustache without realising it.

How did I get into writing stories and books? Partly because of a woman's magazine and partly because of a man