Start by marking “Another Book About Design: Complicated Doesn't Make It Bad” as Want to Read:
Another Book About Design: Complicated Doesn't Make It Bad

Another Book About Design: Complicated Doesn't Make It Bad

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In A Book About Design, Mark Gonyea taught us why a complicated design does not necessarily mean a good design. Now he's back in super-heroic form to demonstrate that the beauty of "complicated" can be found in its underlying simplicity.

Mesmerizing to look at and easy to understand, this book breaks down more design concepts and lets you see through the eyes of a graphic
Published August 7th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Another Book About Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Book About Design

Cheryl
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
*Very* simple. Introduces *some* ideas about design. I will look for the previous book by Gonyea, and I will try the one exercise he suggests... but if you actually want to buy something, skip this, and get Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design instead. (Or, do you know something even better?)

What is the target audience for this? Few words, simple ideas, challenging vocabulary, presumption of experience.... :shrug:

To clarify: I like it a lot for what it is. It's just not much.
Rebecca
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 1st grade and up; art teachers
Dedication: "This book is dedicated to my favorite shape, the circle."

The book which precedes this one (A Book About Design) was so good that I was excited to see a sequel! Hooray for simple books that teach basic design concepts. From a personal artistic standpoint, I really relish "back-to-basics" explanations, and no one does this better than Mark Gonyea.

"Each design element is everything it is and everything it is not. That's called positive and negative space. When you create one thing, li
Tamara
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, web, work
Graphic design does not come naturally to me. This is an EXCELLENT book that explains the basics of design, from shapes and colors to foreground and background to positive and negative space.

I would be tempted to own this one. Even though it is extremely simple, it does it extremely well.

Dan
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work, design
Brilliant - there are surely few books that can be read in their entirety in less than half an hour yet teach so much (possibly only the prequel, A Book About Design, can match it).
Burbank Library Children's Department
A beautifully, simple book that explains design concepts with fun, bright graphics.
Benjamin Jacobson
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another strong book on design by Mark Gonyea. Get the first volume and share them with a young artist, or enjoy them yourself.
Adrean Clark
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-art
Good introduction to basic design concepts.
Betsy
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Combining the terms "good design" and "children" often sends me into fits of mild hysteria. There is nothing in this world that I find funnier than adults creating tasteful/mindless toys, games, and books for kiddies that utilize the principles of good design. I used to work across the street from the ultimate in hoity-toity children's goods. The kind of place where the mobiles looked like something out of a Klee painting, and rocking horses were one single sinuous unseamed piece of polished woo ...more
Allie
3.5 stars. This book is more interesting than A Book About Design: Complicated Doesn't Make It Good, but neither is nearly as good as Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design. This is definitely more appropriate for a younger audience, because Chip Kidd's book can be a little texty. I'm glad I picked up this one before Mark Gonyea's first kid's design book, because it explains some cool design concepts in language kids can understand. I think the strength of these books for kids is explaining someth ...more
Julie
Jul 20, 2008 rated it liked it
The concepts featured here are important to understand when creating visual art. Gonyea successfully illustrates his ideas so that visual learners will pick up the concepts immediately. The text is very simple, with most pages only featuring one sentence, and therefore the chapters are very short. Most concepts included are easily defined however, the author describes personal space in art as something you do
Abby Johnson
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
The simple text of this design book belies its big ideas. Although most pages contain only a few words or a couple of sentences, Gonyea brings across finer points on color, patterns, negative & positive space, background & foreground, and other elements of design. If you're a complete design newbie, this simple book can have a lot to teach you in a short amount of time. I think more sophisticated art connoisseurs will find something to enjoy as well.
Abbie
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Another excellent children's book about design by Mark Gonya. This edition delves in deeper to sizes and quantities in design. Simple, clear and bold explanations made for easy understanding of concepts that are actually rather complicated. But, as the title explains, "complicated doesn't make it bad."
Karen A.
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great way to introduce young kids to concepts of design. And hopefully make ART less mysterious. It actually is an excellent book for any age and for anyone interested in making great design without all the baggage of theory.
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I believe this is the third or fourth title in this series introducing graphic design to children. This is another winner. I like how the last chapter and final illustration pull all the introduced concepts together.
Tripmastermonkey
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
i like making fliers at the library, and i've been curious how i can make them look even neater. i think my fliers look okay, but i decided to start with a very easy book (and one that's on the floor i work on) and to work my way up- any suggestions?
Meadow
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
An excellent continuation of his first book explaining that, when used properly, multiple elements of design can be good. He covers more elements in this book, again with great visuals and easy to understand descriptions.
Michelle
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Simple text, big concepts. Great delivery!
Melody
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Clear and simple points on graphic design.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 03, 2007
Michelle Young
Oct 07, 2007
Skye Bryant
rated it did not like it
Sep 07, 2015
Mar 10, 2014
Rhea
Feb 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in northern New York seven years before I saw Star Wars for the first time. While spending the better portion of my early life watching tv, going to movies and playing video games, little did I realize this was to be the essential ground work for a career in cartooning, graphic design and kids books.
More about Mark Gonyea...