Start by marking “Cold Iron (Cold Iron, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cold Iron (Cold Iron, #1)

Cold Iron

(Cold Iron #1)

For fans of Jeaniene Frost and Kresley Cole, this full-length novel is the first in D.L. McDermott’s fast-paced, sexy paranormal romance series—available exclusively in ebook!

The Fae, the Good Neighbors, the Fair Folk, the Aes Sídhe, creatures of preternatural beauty and seduction. Archaeologist Beth Carter doesn’t believe in them. She’s always credited her extraordinary a
Published February 10th 2014 by Pocket Star

Start your review of Cold Iron (Cold Iron, #1)
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh, Fae

This was a great paranormal romance. Highly sensual, great worldbuilding, fabulous characters, compelling plot... All great stuff!

We begin with our heroine, Beth Carter, and her absolute arsehole of an ex-husband on an archaeological dig in Ireland. Beth is a fantastic heroine. She's kind of a doormat, and her ex treats her abominably, but she really was great to read. Her journey from the girl in the opening pages, to the woman at the end, was nothing short of momentous.

During the di
Mei
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, netgalley
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

WOW! I love finding out new books that grip me this way.

I'm not overly fond of Fae books, but his one was very, very interesting.

Here we have a really bloodthirsty Fae! They're immoral, cruel, and beautiful. They have power and they use it and abuse it without thought.

Even our hero, Conn is like that. He's powerful and he knows it. And he's enjoying it at its fullest.

When he meets Beth, he just want to own her. But his complusion, which h
Rachel V.
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
I love reading Fae books and this was no exception. This book also combines a lot of things I enjoy reading about such as archaeology, Fae, Celtic history and Druids.

Beth’s character showed a lot of growth through the book. We learn of how she was stifled as a child and how her ex-husband treated her but also we see how strong she has become and that she can stand up for herself. I was not expecting the revelation about Beth although I should have expected it. It just helped to thicken the plot.
Tami
Mar 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Inconsistencies galore. Combined with plot holes. And mediocre writing. DNF at 60%.

Just a few points:

If fae can't stand being close to iron, and the iron in the church gates in the museum is enough to sting Conn, how is he able to get into a car? Which is made of steel. Which is basically iron.

Why does Conn leave Beth alone in the museum with the sword (that holds the potential to free the nasty fae and thus destroy the world and human society)? He could have stayed hidden in his glamor on t
Melindeeloo
Archaeologist Beth has a knack for finding sites of Celtic significance, career-wise she's shackled to her douche of an ex-husband who light-fingered valuable artifacts from their latest discovery in Ireland and he smuggled them into the States in her luggage, so that she'll take the fall if she tells. One of the items is a sword of great importance to the Fae, and its Guardian, ancient Fae warrior Conn, wants it back. But Conn also wants Beth - since somehow she can resist his glamor it makes t ...more
Kate
Cold Iron is a unique story with well developed characters it takes place in our day and age which made the cover a little misleading as one could think that it is a historical romance but thankfully it isn't. It was tough to rate this book but I'll get to that later after thinking about it for two days I have come to the conclusion that it is 3.5 - 3.75 Star read. But as GR offers only be able to give either 3 Stars or 4 Stars I have rounded it up to 4 Stars.

The book had all needed elements to
Dana Alma
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cold Iron rocked! What a treat to find a new author that grabs your interest from the first page! McDermott catapults you into a world that has endless possibilities. Conn's story was an amazing start to this new series. He transforms right before our eyes with Beth as the catalyst to a new megacosm. Although Con and Beth's story is wonderful, the true alpha, in my opinion, was Miach. He exudes power and sex appeal in troves! Cold Iron would not have been what it is without McDermott interweavin ...more
Delta
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Delta by: Chrannag
3.5 Stars
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4 ½ Stars

Originally Posted at The Bookaholic Cat

Cold Iron is the first installment in the Cold Iron series by D.L. McDermott.

Reading a debut novel is almost like buying a lottery ticket (especially if there are not yet reviews for that book). You invest your money (time) and hope for a winning ticket (book). Sometimes you don’t win anything (a bad book), sometimes you get a small price (a book with some potential), other few times you get a second best price (a good book with a few problems) an
Mara
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr
I am not sure why this series is considered dark. Sure it's not fluffy and uberlight, but it doesn't fall into my category of dark. The People of tradition are cruel and uncaring [think Pratchett's Lords and Ladies], but those here aren't gruesomely so. They simply are Fae.
And none of those important in the story are really such. The Betrayer comes out as a nice misunderstood guy, Micah as a patriarch defending his family. Meh.

As a purely personal peeve, the love in a week storyline is never my
Emily Savageau
I received an ARC of this book.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, I've read books similar to this one about the Fae but didn't really get hooked. I really liked this book and I am looking forward to reading the next one.

The author focuses on the real Fae, not the cute little fairies people often think of. The story revolves around a woman who had some not so good things happen to her in the past but the author portrays her as a strong female which I like. When she comes up against the
Marlene
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Originally published at The Book Pushers

I have serious mixed feelings about this book.

On one side, the plot and worldbuilding were cool. We have an archaeologist with the talent for finding faery mounds and burial sites by “dowsing” through a map. And then she finds a burial mound that is still in use, because the fae folk, sometimes known as the Aes Sidhe or the Tuatha de Danaan, were not just real but a few of them are still around.

And they are not nice faeries; they are terrible and beautiful
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Fae lovers this is a must read new series. In Cold Iron, Ms. McDermott creates a fresh look at Fae and Druids. While the Fae Court is still locked away in a world away from ours, there are a few Fae still roaming freely on earth. Conn is such a fae. His home is disturbed by archeologists. The person of interest is Beth Carter. Beth possesses extra senses she is unable to explain. While her credit stealing ex-husband discounts her abilities, he has no qualms about abusing her to use them.

The cha
Douglas Meeks
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The synopsis says " For fans of Jeaniene Frost and Kresley Cole" I am a big fan of theirs and this book does NOT live up to that sentence.

While I cannot say that this book was not written well, I can say it was filled with hopelessness, depression and uncomfortable stress for the reader.

Conn was cold and manipulative for most of the first 50% of the book, Beth was horribly submissive and allowed herself to be beaten down and used by a abusive and horrible ex-husband for years. A candidate for TS
Just Josie
Fey.

I am gonna be honest and say i have never really liked Fey or fairies. Read a few bad ones that really ruined it for me.

This book, however, surprised me. It was well -written, action packed and highly believable.

The characters seemed a little 'flat' to me though and I had no trouble in leaving it for a bit to read other books.

I would have giving it 3.5 Stars if i had the chance.

Read: 14/01/2016
1st rating: 3.5 stars
Genre/sub-genres: Fey/romance-action
Cover: 3 stars
Will I recommend: Hmm.
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

D.L. McDermott's new paranormal romance series, Cold Iron, got off to a fun if slightly bumpy start with Cold Iron. This series delves into Celtic mythology and the fae but places them in a modern setting. Some of the fae have always been part of our society, but others have been locked away for centuries. This book follows shy archeologist Beth and domineering warrior fae Conn.

One of Cold Iron's strongest aspects was the world building.
Holly
Oh my gosh, I loved this book! I picked it up as a kindle daily deal, never having heard of it before but was intrigued by the synopsis. I love books about mythology, and I'm so glad that I read this! I adored how the Celtic mythology was interwoven with the modern day world. And I adored the two main characters, and I'm happy that their POVs were distinct. Our heroine, Beth, is intelligent, quick-witted, and courageous. She was the perfect blend of vulnerability and strength, and I loved her gr ...more
oshawnteexo
I sort if liked this book. It took a lot of concentration on my part. I don't know if I just wasn't felling it but it was sort of boring. Not dreadfully boring but I can admit I started skipping a couple of pages towards the end.

The heroine is sort of underdeveloped. She had all the right things it was just something missing from her. She wasn't a badass or a geek or even a push over she was just there nothing to make her stand out. I can't even remember her name. Although I can remember her be
Julie
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I really enjoyed reading Cold Iron, it has a great storyline and the characters are wonderful, once I started reading I found it hard to put down.
The story starts with Beth Carter and her ex-husband Frank on a archaeological dig in which Beth unknowingly awakens a Fae warrior named Conn. He wanted to use Beth for his own means so his character was very cold and not very nice at all in the beginning but improved as the story progressed and a closeness began between them and then love.
Beth and Con
Susan (susayq ~)
A good beginning to a new series I'll be keeping up with. The background building wasn't overwhelming, like in some first books. There was a nice balance of it and the romance between Conn and Beth. And speaking of the romance between Conn and Beth...I loved them together. The twist with who Beth really is, and how she ended up being strong when she started off vulnerable and on the weak side cause of her self-esteem issues was perfect. I hope we get to see more of her and Conn in other books in ...more
HJ
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it

Not 'bad,' but just didn't draw me in. I easily put it down and read other books in between. I think the characters may just have felt a bit flat to me. I have no interest in continuing on with the other books in the series.
Jess the Romanceaholic
I LOVE when the fae are portrayed as terrifying as old legends have them, rather than the neutered Disney version.

4/5 Stars, full review to follow.
Alisa
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oooh nice Fae series that makes them and Druids so dark and terrifying. The smut was good and the plot was awesome. Great start to a new series. Eeee!
Arlene
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75* Bought on a whim as the premise was entertaining to me - I love Celtic mythology and haven't done a whole lot of romance reading, and Cold Iron sounded like a fun read.

The plotline had lots of dark elements and kept me excited for what would be happening next. I liked the heroine quite a bit, as well as the 'otherworldly' descriptions of the fae themselves, but I found myself distracted by a few strange inconsistencies as to what constitutes impassable iron vs. Tolerable iron, and what fel
Diane ~Firefly~
Jun 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried, but just couldn't do it. The heroine not only allowed her ex husband to take advantage of her professionally, but the "hero" has no regard for humans, much less woman and multiple times "glamours" her into doing things against her will. After he was using their connection through the tattoo that saved her life, I called it.
Dark Faerie Tales
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An archaeologist discovers the existence of the Fae and must help a Fae lord find a sword that has the power to open the door to the Otherworld in order to prevent the Fae from returning, all while fighting an irresistible attraction to the man.

Opening Sentence: “If this is a tomb, then where’s the body?”

The Review:

I hadn’t heard anything about this series before starting the book, so I had no expectations going into it. The first five to ten pe
Lena
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as dnf-dnr
I tried... made it to 12% before I had to call it quits
Literati Literature Lovers
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The world of urban fantasy in dealing with the subject of the Fae except for a few exceptions is mostly erotica, with little plot to hold a reader beyond the desire to read about beautiful people have lots and lots of kinky sex. The fair folk of myth are tricksters and one should never bargain with the Fae, honestly they should be avoided at all cost and if you find a fairy ring in your yard, leave a bit of honey as a gift; it can’t hurt and no one wants to offend even by accident the immortal F ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Beth is an archaeologist, struggling to make her own name when so much of her work – including her very unusual, even supernatural, ability to find dig sites are credited to her far-from-pleasant ex-husband. One of those finds leads her to a mound in Ireland – and a being that she releases.

Normally, dealing with her ex-husband’s theft of artefacts and attempts to frame her would be her main concern – but Conn, the ancient fae warrior, is seeking not just his sword, but Beth herself. The mortal w
Amy
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trashy-romance
This one started out a little rough with some hints at issues with consent. Granted he's Fae, but it's still something I notice when reading and takes me a bit out of the story. I carried on and the story evened out and got better.
I was hoping for a slow burn in the romance department, with her fighting her desire for him while knowing what he was. But the story went in a different direction and felt more like an insta-love thing and that's not my cup of tea.
I liked the premise, and would have
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1)
  • Death Game (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #3)
  • A Shifting of Stars (Of Stars, #1)
  • A Gift of Poison (The Kingmakers' War, #1)
  • Vampire Debt (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #2)
  • Blood Trial (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #1)
  • When Wishes Bleed (When Wishes Bleed, #1)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • The Rest Falls Away (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #1)
  • Daughter of the Wolf (Pathway of the Chosen, #2)
  • The Lightning Tree
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • The Keepers Box Set (Alchemy, #1-4)
  • Apprentice  (The Black Mage, #2)
  • Rule (Corruption, #3)
  • The Wilds Box Set (The Wilds, #1-4)
  • Adore (On My Knees Duet #2)
D. L. McDermott is the pen name of television writer and historical fiction novelist Donna Thorland. Currently a writer on the WGN historical drama, SALEM, Donna graduated from Yale with a degree in Classics and Art History and managed architecture and interpretation at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem for several years. She earned an MFA in film production from the USC School of Cinematic Arts, ...more

Cold Iron (4 books)
  • Silver Skin (Cold Iron, #2)
  • Stone Song (Cold Iron, #3)
  • Blade Dance (Cold Iron, #4)