Start by marking “Trouble in Mind: The Collected Stories, Volume 3” as Want to Read:
Trouble in Mind: The Collected Stories, Volume 3

Trouble in Mind: The Collected Stories, Volume 3

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  1,140 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
Fiendish suspense. Shocking twists.
Twelve diabolical tales.

New York Times bestselling author and highly acclaimed storyteller Jeffery Deaver-the undisputed "grand master of the plot twist" (Booklist)-returns with a dazzling new collection of short stories. In these twelve electrifying tales (including six written just for this anthology) Deaver proves once again his geniu
Published March 4th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble in Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble in Mind

Patrice Hoffman
Generally I'm not a fan of short stories. I try to steer-clear of books that are a collection of short stories and this is because of the usual problems that arise from them. One dimensional characters, unfinished stories, cleverly wrapped up endings, or just a hollow place in my soul that feels empty due to a story unfinished. I have tried, like many other past titles of my favorite authors, to provide inquiring minds with a completely unbiased review. So... FYI I do love Jeffery Deaver's writi ...more
Tim
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I expected this conglomeration of short stories to be better than it is. Perhaps, my expectations were too high. 5 of 10 stars
Arielle Walker
I've been a casual Deaver reader for a few years now, and thoroughly enjoy making my way through a Lincoln Rhyme novel while on holiday at the beach - something about the gory details and researched technicalities of Deaver's writing is a perfect counterpoint to a hot summer's day. Having been impressed by his writing before, and with his multiple awards for novels on top of this, I had high expectations when reading this latest work.

Trouble in Mind should appeal to regular readers of Deaver’s c
William
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audio book flat out hits ALL the requirements of a well produced collection and presentation of short stories. I've been reading for almost 70 years. During very active life I found that short stories cut thru the crap of overly wordy pieces of publication. We used to read magazines and newspaper. We also had lives away from an electronic screen. Don't get me wrong. I very much appreciated a hand held calculator after receiving an undergrad degree in Chemistry; or a word processor in lieu of the ...more
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jeffery Deaver fans, or those who want to try out his work
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: Grand Central Publishing and Netgalley
Many of you may be familiar with Jeffery Deaver through his Lincoln Rhyme or Kate Daniels books. Although he has been on my To Read list as an author, I have yet to read any of his books, mainly because I have so many series going currently that I have been reluctant to start another one. I found that reading this book of short stories was the perfect way for me to acquaint myself with his writing.

As it turns out, Deaver has been writing short stories for years. As it states in the sub-title, T
Deborah
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of short stories! Indeed... back in the day I was trying to find a vehicle for my writing I did a short story writing course and (at the time) wondered why I bothered - given my dislike for the medium.

I do however, recognise there are benefits to short, sharp and captivating stories. Indeed, Jeffrey Deaver - in the Author’s Note to this latest collection - talks about the fact that he can waive his usual preference for 'closure' when writing short stories.

Deaver’s third compilation
Daniela (Daniela in Prague)
This is a collection of suspense/crime/detective short stories. A few of them feature Deaver's known investigators like Lincoln Rhyme or Kathryn Dance. In the rest of them, new detectives are introduced or there are no detectives at all. This book has 498 pages, which was a lot of suspense. A few of the stories were great, some were just okay and at least one was boring for me.

I read a few of Deaver's books ages ago and this collection reminded me that he was really good. My actual average rati
Margaret
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of short stories by Jeffery Deaver. Some take only a few minutes to read, others a little longer. I am a fan of Jeffery Deaver's novels and was pleasantly surprised that he could weave his special magic into just a few pages for each story. Although each story involves some sort of crime, each is very different from the one before. There is always a weapon, and as Mr. Deaver states in one of his stories "It wasn't nuclear or chemical or explosive but in the end was far ...more
For the Love of Books & Alcohol Blog
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: posted
How so many fantastic stories are in one mans brain is fascinating to me...

I must admit I was somewhat skeptical when I realized that this was a book of short stories. It’s never really been my thing. I get too invested in characters and always want more. However I was almost immediately pleasantly surprised by the amount of depth and detail that were put into each story. There are stories with familiar characters such as Lincoln Rhyme and Kathryn Dance, as well as some stand alone stories. A
Lindsey Silvestrini
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Trouble in Mind, The Collected Stories from Jeffery Deaver is the first I’ve read from him and I’m now a fan!

These twelve short stories were just the perfect length in my opinion! I read a lot; sometimes several books a week. It’s hard when you’re reading a book you’re not that into and it’s super long and drags on! These short stories are the perfect length! In fact, I found myself wanting them to go on longer!

Deaver is a master at mystery and suspense and I loved that I couldn’t figure out how
Robert
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Crime stories with a twist - exactly what one wants from JD.
Pavlovsky
Jeffreye Deavera jsem dříve dost četl. Než se jeho knihy změnily ve své vlastní parodie a člověk už prokoukl jeho styl, obvykle spočívající v tom, že se pachatel blíží k oběti, mačká spoušť… a o kapitolu dál se ukáže, že si geniální detektivové těsně předtím spojili veškeré údaje a vybudovali na nich křehkou a dost neuvěřitelnou konstrukci, která je dostala o krok před pachatele, který má v pistoli buď slepé náboje, nebo má oběť neprůstřelnou vestu nebo tak něco. A tohle se opakuje v jednom romá ...more
Jo
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I much preferred his previous two books of short stories. Some of these were really good, while some - especially the ones with his recurring characters - just kind of dragged on.
Thomas Bruso
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jeffery Deaver, master of suspense, can weave a solid, good story and keep the reader turning pages. Even in short story form. But beware, most of these stories have been previously published. So for those of you who have already read the handful of published tales, skip the collection. But, if you're like me and have never set your eyes on any of the following stories, it is a few worthwhile hours of reading.

However, most of the stories in this third collection of short fiction, TROUBLE IN MIND
Chris
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed first at Brunner's Bookshelf

What could be better than one of Deaver’s amazing stories? How about a collection of twelve amazing stories; I love his short story collections almost as much as his novels. With this collection I get a bunch of different stories with Deaver’s classic twists and misdirection all in one great book. I really enjoy short story collections because I can sit and read a whole story in a very short amount of time. That comes in handy these days with how little time
Bruce Hatton
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: us-crime
The third collection of short stories from the master of the multi-twist endings. The longer format probably suits his style more, but this is still a very enjoyable collection. The final story, "Forever" (at 150 pp, more a novella than short story) is particularly good. The others include two featuring Lincoln Rhyme, one with Kathryn Dance; yet another features a return for Mr Deaver's original series character, John Pellam, the location scout. Nothing, alas, with New York girl, Rune; although, ...more
William Wright
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Who said short stories are dead? These by Jeffrey Deaver are a great and diverse mix of some of the best I've read this year. Mysteries with twists on top of twists. Don't miss it if you're a mystery fan.
Ken
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read a number of Deaver's books, I selected this one not realizing that it is a collection of 12 stories. Some of them were better than others, but overall, they are all worth reading. The stories are not short versions of one of his thrilling books, but separate unrelated stories. Originally, I was not sure that this was the best use of my reading time, but I have concluded that it was well worth the time.
Jovdb
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Not a huge fan of short stories but, because I've read other books by this author, some of the stories were easy to get into - Sachs and Rhyme for instance.

Others were a little odd, but they kept me entertained.
Andy Dale
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of mystery author jeffery deaver. I don't read much of this author and found this surprisingly good. Each story had a surprise twise at the end that I couldn't predict.
Alex Marriott
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Read it for the sake of completeness.
Dan Smith
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Several short stories by the author. Real variety, there are a couple of Rymes stories. Very enjoyable read
Antonella Montesanti
Insomma, non mi ha entusiasmato, non mi sembra il solito Deaver, raccolta non proprio all'altezza delle aspettative.
Barb
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Typical Deaver awesomeness.
Trena
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m not usually a fan of short stories, but I like Jeffrey Deaver. This collection was great! I wish each story had been a novel. Very good read!
Marianne Shaker
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a collection of stories and most of them are very intriguing - the author has interesting perspectives. Some stories are just downright creepy.
Bradley
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook version, Great Collection.
Humberto Elias
Mar 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All the stories were kind of predictable! No real suspense, nor twist in the stories!
Vivien Tsang
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the Kathryn Dance & Lincoln Rhyme stories
Greg Chandler
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good introduction to Deaver's writing for me. The stories were long enough to provide some complexity, without requiring the commitment that a full-length novel requires. Despite the brevity, characters were more than cardboard cutouts. Plots were necessarily uncomplicated, but not generally predictable. This was actually perfect reading for a short trip. I'm encouraged to read more of Dever's crime fction.
That's no exuse: typo 1 4 Mar 31, 2014 12:08PM
  • Cold Girl (B.C. Blues Crime, #1)
  • The Kill Box (Jamie Sinclair, #3)
  • The Night Visitor
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)
  • A Penny for the Hangman
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #1)
  • Cold Cold Heart
  • Glass House 51
  • The Last Cherry Blossom
  • Ruin Falls
  • Darkness Rising
  • A Twist of the Knife
  • Previously Loved Treasures (Serendipity, #2)
  • Carnage (Frank Quinn, #8.5)
  • Accidents Happen
  • The Dream You Make
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens, #2)
  • Rules of the Hunt
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver