Start by marking “NYPD Red 2 (NYPD Red, #2)” as Want to Read:
NYPD Red 2 (NYPD Red, #2)

NYPD Red 2

(NYPD Red #2)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  17,516 ratings  ·  1,117 reviews
When NYPD Red arrives at a crime scene, everyone takes notice. Known as the protectors of the rich, famous, and connected, NYPD Red is the elite task force called in only for New York City's most high-profile crimes. And Detective Zach Jordan is the best of the best, a brilliant and relentless pursuer of justice. He puts professionalism above all, ignoring his feelings for ...more
Published March 24th 2014 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about NYPD Red 2, please sign up.
Vicki How can we fix the problems with our criminal justice system highlighted in this book?

·  17,516 ratings  ·  1,117 reviews

Suzanne
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The crime plot in the second book of the NYPD Red series is even better than the first. I thought I had it predicted and then boom, I was wrong on the two killers. The beginning starts with a retribution killing in the two killers’ teen years to them becoming vigilante serial killers as adults. It is an interesting story with amusing characters. Love, love the characters of Zach and Kylie! I’ll read the next two book in the series to date this week; very enjoyable series.

My quick and simple ove
Traci Haley
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I feel like I should apologise when I give such a high rating to a book like this. This is a book with absolutely no nutritional value. It is the "Olympus Has Fallen" of books.

But the thing is, sometimes I want to watch "Olympus Has Fallen". And sometimes I want to read the cheesiest James Patterson novel I can find.

This one fit the bill quite nicely and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.

What made it even better is that there is a British computer geek character named... wait for it... Mat
Barbara
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it

In this 2nd book in the 'NYPD Red' series, the elite police unit is chasing the Hazmat Killer. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

In New York City a vigilante serial killer is murdering people who have apparently evaded justice. The killer dresses the victims in Hazmat suits and leavies them in public places, seemingly as a warning to other criminals.

The 'Hazmat Killer's' first few victims are known lowlifes who don't attract much attention. But when wealthy political aide Eve
Brenda
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NYPD Red Detective Zach Jordan and partner Detective Kylie MacDonald were hunting for a missing person when they were called to a carousel in the centre of New York City. Their missing person had been found – her brutally murdered body was riding the carousel in the early hours of the morning. With her being a very high profile woman with political connections, Red was swiftly put onto the case. Immediately Zach and Kylie tied the latest murder to three others – it seemed the city had a vigilant ...more
Wendy
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised by how much more I liked this book than the first one in this series especially after reading a lot of the other comments on it. James Patterson has been one of my favorite writers since I was a teenager and I have to admit that his recent novels that he has co-authored with other writers have not been as good as his older novels that he wrote on his own. That's all I can really say is that I hope he continues with the NYPD Red series. I'm beginning to like it almost as mu ...more
Erin Ennis
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
NYPD Red, the first, was one of my favorite books by James Patterson. In general I am a HUGE Patterson fan, but had kind of hit a snag with the Private series. NYPD Red 2 was just as good as NYPD Red; fast moving, twisty, interesting, and above all, a page turner. I love the characters; Zach and Kylie are at the top of my Patterson list with Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, and Lindsay Boxer. You do not need to read NYPD Red to read the sequel, as they are essentially stand alone. Overall, I would h ...more
Matt
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
The NYPD Red unit is back for another high-thrills adventure, filled with both action and personal character growth. The 'Red' unit is pulled into capturing a serial murderer, labelled the HAZMAT KILLER when a high-profile political operative is found slain early one morning. With only a week left before a contentious mayoral election, all eyes are on the candidates and how the incumbent has handled the three previous murders attributed to Hazmat. After taping a confession for a past crime, vict ...more
Marla
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
If I hadn't started this book at 5 p.m. on Sunday I would have finished it in a day. It was hard to put down. The tempo was fast and it kept me guessing who the killer was. There was even an oh no moment. This series is refreshing. As much as I love the Alex Cross character, I'm getting a little tired of reading about him. The storylines seem to be almost the same. This series is about an elite division of the NYPD that caters to the rich and famous. There were also some side stories woven in re ...more
Maureen
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First James Patterson novel I have read. I'm more fact than fiction, however, because I received the first 16 chapters free I found myself so intrigued I bought the book. It was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I read it in two days as I found myself in the middle of the night sorting out in my mind what I read earlier, then had to pick it up and start reading on my kindle fire again. Wonderful read.
Terri Wino
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: year-2015
Typical formulaic James Patterson. A quick read with just enough humor and a predictable mystery, but I enjoy the Zach and Kylie characters.
Co-authored by Marshall Karp. These books don't do his writing justice. If you want a series of entertaining reads, check out his Lomax & Biggs series, especially the first book, The Rabbit Factory. Highly recommend those books if you like a blend of crime/mystery/humor.
David
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
It would be fair to say I have been underwhelmed by the latest Patterson Franchise offerings, so I was pleasantly surprised to come across this enjoyable police procedural. Not as fluffy and celebrity driven as the first NYPD book. And overall an easy-to-read thriller, comprising clever character development, steady plot progression and enough twists and turns to maintain the surprise factor. I can only hope this series continues to develop in this manner.
4/5 Stars
Fousilly
Mar 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Gave up on this, one the worst pieces of writing I have seen. Really disappointed in Patterson's work lately. Maybe almost time to give up on what was one of my favourite authors.
Joann
Well I rated book #1 in this series a 4 star. This is lucky to get a 3 star. I'm confused with all this ghost writing stuff with Patterson. Maybe I'll have to check to see who helped with this book and just pick out the books that he co-writes? I love reading mysteries that take place in NYC - so exciting to me - but I hated the language and all the sex talk.
Nadim
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Like with most of James Patterson's books, this one reads easily and quickly but slightly predictable with some unexpected twist. Nonetheless, it was an entertaining and fun read.
Gary
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An ok novel by Marshall Karp writing under the James Patterson book writing factory.
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and after a fairly solid start to this novel it petered off. Very simple writing that could easily be straight out of a comic book. A quick read but certainly not one of the best books I have read this year. The trouble with books been released in this way by numerous writers is that they lack the consistency of other writers who release novels every 9 months or so.
Brandy
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It all began with a question, “ Do you think Hitler was a nice guy when he was in high school?” With that question - madness and mayhem ensued.

NYPD 2 was another quick, light yet, brilliant read by Patterson. Yes, I admit, Patterson is predictable in his writing but I enjoy it. After all, sometimes, and I know I can’t be alone in this, sometimes - you just want actually you need to see the path you are being led on; rather than getting bushwhacked out of no where while on your journey. I gladly
Pamela Small
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: yuck-bleh-arrgh
2 stars because it was that - OKay. I would recommend it for a mindless summer beach read. On a positive note, there were red herrings and plot twists which were fun, but Mr. Patterson has done those much better in the Alex Cross and Michael Bennett series. The two protagonists in this series are 2 dimensional and I can't even remember their names -character development is so lacking.

Denise
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Couldn't put this book down from the minute I started reading it. This is one of the better Patterson books that I have read this year. The story flowed seamlessly and the twist in the plot was brilliant. I didn't see it coming. I enjoyed the first book in this series but this one hooked me. Think this is going to turn out to be a great series. Can't wait for the next one to come out.
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most JP books are page turners, but this may be my favourite yet. NYPD Red take on a case of a vigilante killer and its good. Its hard to say more without giving spoilers, but the reveal blindsided me and I read a lot of crime.
Cecily Kyle
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the NYPD Red team! I might like this series more than the Michael Bennett series which is one of my favorites. I can't believe I didn't see this ending coming when it happened which is refreshing. I am jumping right into the next one!!
Great Read!
Jennie  Veazey
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the second installment of the NYPD Red series! On to the 3rd book. I love listening to the audible book and loved it! It’s amazing how Mr. Patterson pulls you into the story. The narrator is doing a wonderful job!
Sally Whiteside
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Standard James Patterson that is easy to read with a likeable not to hard to guess the outcome book. I like James Patterson!
Simone Perren
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no secret that I love James Patterson, especially his series, Alex Cross, Private and now I can firmly add this series to that list. Having read the first book in November of last year, I was a little apprehensive as to whether it would continue on in the same vein because I loved that one. This book, although falling slightly below the first book for me, was still very enjoyable and personally, I think it has shown the potential for this series in the future.
This story follows two of my fa
Paula  Phillips
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Detective Zach Jordan and Detective Kylie MacDonald are back and this time they are on the hunt for a vigilante killer. Someone has been killing those who are not found guilty from trials, but deep down the people know they are guilty. These two have been called in to take over the investigation as the latest victim is high-profile and her family has a lot of money not only from her husband's side but also her own. Zach and Kylie are part of an elite taskforce called NYPD Red which handles the c ...more
Edmond Gagnon
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book from the combo of James Patterson and Marshall Karp that I've read. It was a fast-paced easy read that's typical of Patterson. With this novel, Karp has moved to the top of my list for authors who write under the man who controls a large percentage of book sales.
I liked the characters and concept of a special policing unit that was put together specifically for the rich and shameless.
If you're sharp you'll catch the plot twist near the end - I admit the fake sucked me in b
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Solid 4.5. Good, quick read that was really tough to put down & what a great storyline! I appreciated the parallels to "real" events in the news & I'm a total sucker for cop stories. (My maternal Grandpa was a cop). Strong characters with good stories of their own that would make great fodder for future installments, IMHO. 100% believable "plot"; I was sucked in FAST. Really fast!
This was a refreshing addition to Patterson's co-authored shelves of stories. It didn't feel predictable or s
Sherri F.
Book & audio: 4+ stars & really was borderline between 4 & 5 stars

Good, fast-paced series & interesting topic the storyline is based on. So far, I've liked anything Marshall Karp has been involved with; solo or w/someone else. Again, like in his Lomax & biggs series, he creates a vigilante team that can at least understand why they are doing what they are doing, even if you can't sympathize and (especially) can't condone. Audio narrated well & on short side (7ish hrs: pro
Paula Dembeck
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a faltering start in book one, Patterson and Karp have upped their game in the second book of the series. This one has it all over the first installment with edgy characters, a more complex crime, some neat twists, great plotting and a well-paced story that picks up speed and then moves at an intense pace. This is more of what I expected in a Patterson collaboration and is a definite improvement from their initial offering.

Zach and Kylie have two murders to solve. The first comes to NYPD R
Ms. Nikki
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was trying to figure out what I liked about this series that I didn't with the Cross ones.
I think - don't quote me - that this read has a little more filling. Especially to the cases. Zack and Kylie are more hands on, running from site to site and tossing ideas back and forth which draws the reader into the crime, into the world more.

I like the pacing and characters of this story. I'll definitely be reading the next one.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
I'm a big Patterson fan. I read most of his other series (Alex Cross, Women Murder Club & Private)
I read NYPD Red and enjoyed the characters Zach and Kylie. NYPD Red 2 was also well written. There was so much going on in the story that it keeps your interest right from the beginning. A real page turner and can't wait for the 3rd book to come out next month.

I enjoy James Patterson's books 5 30 Jan 04, 2016 11:33PM

• A Wedding in Maine
  • Carnal Curiosity (Stone Barrington, #29)
  • Private L.A.: by James Patterson and Mark Sullivan -- Review
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Hunt the Dragon (SEAL Team Six, #6)
  • The Girl Who Broke the Rules (Georgina McKenzie #2)
  • Boys Will Be Boys
  • Wedding Shots
  • Silken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #23)
  • Second Watch (J.P. Beaumont, #21)
  • The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)
  • The Lazarus Pit
  • The Murderers (Badge of Honor, #6)
  • King and Maxwell (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #6)
  • Political Suicide (Dr. Lou Welcome, #2)
  • Skin Deep (Simeon Grist Mystery, #3)
  • Cross My Heart (Alex Cross): by James Patterson -- Sidekick
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

NYPD Red (6 books)
  • NYPD Red (NYPD Red, #1)
  • NYPD Red 3 (NYPD Red, #3)
  • NYPD Red 4 (NYPD Red, #4)
  • Red Alert (NYPD Red, #5)
  • NYPD Red 6