Start by marking “Darkest Flame (Dark Kings, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkest Flame (Dark Kings, #1)

Darkest Flame

(Dark Kings #1)

In Darkest Flame by Donna Grant, the Dark Kings have fought for centuries to preserve their dragon magic. But one of the most powerful warriors of his kind will be put to the ultimate test. Is he strong enough to resist his greatest temptations? Or will he be forced to surrender—body and soul?

HER BEAUTY IS A WEAPON.
Denae Lacroix is a beautiful MI5 agent on a deadly missio
Paperback, 1st Edition, 384 pages
Published April 29th 2014 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Darkest Flame, please sign up.
Kelly LaFleur The Dark King Series is a spinoff of both Donna's Dark Sword series and then the Dark Warriors Series, she states they are all stand-alone but to get…moreThe Dark King Series is a spinoff of both Donna's Dark Sword series and then the Dark Warriors Series, she states they are all stand-alone but to get a better flow over the overall series to start with the Dark Sword novels.

(less)

Ann-Kristin
There's basically 3 reasons why I give this 2 stars. (Although I must say, I LOVE the cover!)

1. I feel like I should know more about the characters than I do. Obviously there are characters here from her other books, and many aren't well explained and I sit there, looking like a lost kid, not knowing who is what and what is were.

2. Pussy whipping. The worst I've read inn all my pnr history. *mad* Here it goes: (view spoiler)
Katy
I'm sorry but this book was just terrible. Awful. The plot was okay. I kind of liked the mythology of it, but it was just so badly written.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I don't know how else to say it.

Plot: Kellan is a dragon shifter who hates humans. Hates them. So much so that he decided he'd rather hibernate in a cave for 1500 hundred years than live among humans and their evil, greedy, selfish, violent ways. Denae is an MI5 agent who was mysteriously sent to a random cave (that wasn'
Valerie
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars
I really enjoyed the novellas that started this series so I was excited to get to read this one. Certainly wasn't disappointed!

Kellan has some issues. He's a dragon king that has been sleeping for centuries. The presence of man in this realm has caused some problems that he just can't get past. In his grief for his bronze dragons and the betrayal of a human, he finds endless sleep easier to deal with. That's all interrupted when an MI5 mission lands Denae and her partner Matt in his c
Kathleen
Despite the rave reviews, I'd go 3 stars tops, but this author has a lot of potential. This dragon-shifter erotic romance includes several explicit m/f sex scenes, several battle scenes (not gory), no offensive language (no crude terms for females, little or no swearing or profanity). This is the first book in the series, but it contains some characters from a related series (which I haven't read). The audiobook Dark Heat: The Dark Kings Stories provides the backstory.

Good narration by Antony Fe
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Dragon shifters are always a magical read. Donna Grant has mastered creating sexy dragon shifters in a Scottish world filled with magic. Her Dark Kings are just as intriguing as her Dark Warriors. They are in the same world and those warriors that we’ve loved for so long still play a large role in this series.
The Dragon Kings have two main goals in life. The goals seem simple enough. They are to protect the human race, and remain a secret from all. This should be simple. It appears that the Dra
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Apr 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard fans of PNR
I'm rating this despite not having finished it, b/c I made it nearly halfway through before calling it quits. I'm more of an UF person than a PNR person, but I do enjoy PNR occasionally . . . if it's not stuff and nonsense:

What was it about Kellan that made her open up? Was it his virile magnetism? His irresistible eyes? His finely honed body?
His mind-blowing kisses?

This was, however, stuff and nonsense, so moving on.
Meigan
I actually read this in serial form, but I would definitely recommend the novel version. Each installment ends on a major cliffhanger (except the fourth), which many people find annoying and bothersome. I actually liked the cliffhangers, it added a bit of suspense for me :)

In the Darkest Flame, we meet Denae and Kellan. Denae works as an operative for the British Government in a branch called M15. She is assigned to a cryptic mission where she and her partner have to infiltrate and gather "evide
Ezinwanyi
I started with novellas, and then jumped right into this book. I am still on the fence because again, the characters were underdeveloped and the plot wasn’t as engaging as I had hoped. This book felt more like erotica than paranormal romance.

Secret agent Denae LaCroix was sort of forced into assisting the Dragon Kings since her M15 group set her up and abandoned her. The dragons were unknown to most humans but now there is a group trying to expose their existence.

Now Denae is caught up in a war
Moon Love
I'm baffled at how to rate this. I've been meaning to read Donna for ages, especially since I've gotten back into reading paranormal romance. The book started off great but I got confused early on. There are so many characters and so many species and so much history that has happened before this book starts. Many of their stories have already been told in previous books and series. It really felt like I'd been dropped in a forest with no clue and direction. I don't mind reading long series, but ...more
Paola
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I enjoyed this book, I always enjoy reading about romance between a mythological male and a strong heroin.
Kellan is a dragon king that hates humans so when he meets Denae (woman) he wants to walk away without looking back, but Con that is the king of dragon kings, asks him to get near her...
Therefore Kellan gets to spend time with her and is surprised to discover that not all humans are evil...
There's a lot of action and some hot scenes in this book, if you enjoy this gender then you should gi
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m still hovering between 3.5-4 Stars.
Elena Rohleder
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reader-2016
Meine Empfehlung

Wie der Klapptext schon verrät spielt die Geschichte zur heutigen Zeit und nicht - wie so viele andere die ich gelesen habe - im Mittelalter oder in einem anderem Universum. Die MI5-Agentin Denae Lacroix gerät während einer Mission in Kontakt mit den Drachen und lernt eine ganz andere Welt kennen, von der sie bis dahin nichts gewusst hat. Der MI5 und die Bösewichte versuchen den Drachen zu schaden, dabei ist ihnen jedes Mittel recht.

In erster Linie ist mir das Cover für "Dunkle
Elie Kelly
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital
Dragons, alpha males, testosterone... A lot of action, hot scene, a great adventure full of twists, turns and a great plot with just the perfect amount of love.

Donna Grant can be a guarantee for a good read, so just go and buy it. You know, you need it.

Ps.: Did I mention they are Scots? I mean... scot deliciousness... plaids...

You can read my full review here:

sparklyunikorn
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
3 stars

Kellan (Dragon King of Bronze, Keeper of the Dreagan History) + Denae (human, former MI5)

SPOILER ALERT. This is an honest and highly subjective review, proceed with caution. You have been warned.

If you read my previous status updates about this book, you know that I was having a hard time.

What I disliked.
One.
Some of the characters' names. If only the author provided how-to-pronounce the ones with difficult names and spellings, it would be an utmost welcome!

Two. Felt no chemistry between
Chumchum_88
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ok I don't know why I took forever to write a review for this one since I finished it couple of weeks ago XD

I have to say I liked this couple very much but they aren't my favorite since I favor the cute ones more XD this couple however was very reliable and resourceful since he's the recorder of history and she an MI5 agent XD

- At first I thought this book will have very misunderstandings and distrustfulness since she came to spy on them then turned to them for help but surprisingly not much,
Paranormal Kiss
3.5 Stars

Darkest Flame takes you to a world where Dragon Kings roam the skies on stormy days and the dark of night, hidden from the human eye. It is a world with realms containing dark fae and light fae, a world in which most humans remain unaware of these magical beings.

I liked Darkest Flame. It is very well written, fast paced and entertaining. The world is nicely fleshed out and the characters are believable. There is danger, action and romance. I liked the main characters of Kellan and Denae
Teja
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
They sure talk a lot during battles.
Leigh
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
ARC provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Darkest Flame is one steamy, paranormal romance. Dragons have never been so alluring, throw in the Fae and a secret spy agency, MI5. What more could you ask for?

Denae Lacroix is an American MI5 agent. She is sent on a dangerous mission to gather information on Dreagan Industries based in the Scottish Highlands. Denae's mission quickly turns deadly. Kellan has been asleep for centuries. Disturbing a sleeping dragon can be dangerous! Den
Vanessa Booke
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so glad that I picked up this book! I wanted something a little different from the regular contemporary romances that I've been reading. Darkest Flame (Dark Kings, #1) was a wonderful reminder of why I love paranormal romances so much. Donna Grant is an amazing writer! It was wonderful to have a strong leading woman like Denae Lacroix as the main character and I absolutely loved Kellan! Plus who doesn't love Dragons? I think my favorite thing about this series is it mixes paranormal romanc ...more
Chantale Canadian Book Addict

Wow!! This is such a great book!
I have so far read 3 books by Donna Grant and I have to say I absolutely love her writing . I could very well imagine what is going on and I got sucked into this book from the very beginning.

As you all noticed I usually read books about different beings other than Vampires, witches and werewolves but I am liking the Dragon kings. It is different (to me) and who doesn't like sexy Scottish men?!

I absolutely love this book and I can not wait for the next book in t
Claudia
First of all, I love dragons!!! But even without dragons I would have loved it

Danea was a great character - strong-willed but with a heart and a lot of honor and integrity. Kellan is a typical Alpha male but nevertheless HOT!

I loved their interactions and the sizzeling chemistry between them.

there were some open questions regarding the world building and maybe it would be good to read the other series' by Donna Grant before reading this but that is not so bad that you cannot enjoy reading the st
Coral
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Plot: 3/5 (draggy plot with unnecessary scenes)
Characterisation: 4/5
Prose: 3/5
How much I enjoyed it: 3/5
Janice Bolick
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, though I should have read Dark Heat, first...oh, well.
Candy Varty
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
That was an amazing book, I am so glad i bought the whole series, I hope the rest are just as good.
Katrin
Es tauchen auch Charaktere auf, die wohl aus den anderen Reihen der Autorin stammen. Leider werden diese nicht erklärt.
Austine (NovelKnight)
So I think I found a new paranormal romance series to binge.

That first book always sets the tone and I think Darkest Flame did a great job of introducing the world. Now, there IS a book prior to this that is a collection of three shorter works detailing some of the Dragon Kings that appear in this book. I definitely think reading it beforehand will help but it's not a necessity.

Now... this book wasn't perfect. Few very are. And it was a bit formulaic for the genre but it didn't stop me from enjo
Tracy
Note: Though I read this book in its series parts (1-4), I couldn't figure out a way to review those parts individually without making myself nuts, so this review is for the book as a whole.

More Flash than Substance

When MI5 agent Denae Lecroix was sent on a mission to infiltrate Draegan Industries, she knew something was off with the assignment. She just didn't know how off it was until her partner turned on her and tried to kill her after they'd pushed deep into Draegan's land. That betrayal cu
Annie Slasher (Booked & Loaded)
This is an original review from Booked & Loaded (Original rating 4.5/5)

I won the first 5 books in the Dark Kings series from a giveaway hosted by Rantings of a Reading Addict via the publisher some time ago. Darkest Flame sat on my shelf amidst its friends calling my name and I feel like an idiot that it took me so long to pick up Darkest Flame. READER FAIL.

Darkest Flame is a great and fulfilling read. Grant created complex characters and injected them into a beautiful world. From start to f
Mari (Smut Duchess)
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, paranormal, ku-ru
3 ***

I listened to this with RU. I wanted to give this PNR series a decent chance. I enjoyed the prequel book, maybe because it was a collection of smaller stories with different couples. They were faster paced. I thought this book was boring. It was easy to be distracted and not feel like I missed much. The story had characters from an earlier series. I didn't read those series so I felt like I had missed quite a bit of the backstory. Also, Kellan was one of those heroes that hates humans and s
Rhi... and who? 25 215 May 07, 2018 12:18PM
Darkest Flame by Donna Grant 5 25 Aug 07, 2014 07:59AM
  • Enslaved by a Viking (The New Icelandic Chronicles, #2)
  • Taste of Darkness (Darkness, #2)
  • Stop Dragon My Heart Around (Las Vegas Dragons, #2)
  • The Demon Bride (The Witching Pen series, #3)
  • Dragon Awakened (The Hidden, #1)
  • Cole's Redemption (Alpha Pack, #5)
  • Hunt the Darkness (Guardians of Eternity, #11)
  • Caged Warrior (Dragon Kings, #1)
  • Dragos Takes a Holiday (Elder Races, #6.5)
  • Bliss (The Custos, #1)
  • Never Deal with Dragons (Never Deal with Dragons, #1)
  • Dirty Lines (Blurred Lines, #4)
  • Love and Other Wild Things (Mystic Bayou, #2)
  • Immortal Hunter (Execution Underground, #2)
  • Hidden Dragons (Hidden, #5)
  • Jaguar Hunt (Heart of the Jaguar, #3)
  • Forsaken (The World of Nightwalkers, #3)
  • Lay Me Down (Reveler, #2)
Donna is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over forty-five novels. Her most popular series is the breathtaking Dark King (aka Dragon King) series featuring dragons, immortal Highlanders, and the Fae.

In addition to her novels, Donna has written over forty short stories, novellas, and novelettes for digital-first and print release. She has been dubbed as giving the “paranormal g

Dark Kings (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fire Rising (Dark Kings, #2)
  • Burning Desire (Dark Kings, #3)
  • Hot Blooded (Dark Kings, #4)
  • Night's Blaze (Dark Kings, #5)
  • Soul Scorched (Dark Kings, #6)
  • Passion Ignites (Dark Kings, #7)
  • Smoldering Hunger (Dark Kings, #8)
  • Smoke and Fire (Dark Kings, #9)
  • Firestorm (Dark Kings, #10)
  • Blaze (Dark Kings, #11)