Start by marking “Gregory's Story” as Want to Read:
Gregory's Story

Gregory's Story

(The Empire Series #2)

A heavy burden rides the shoulders of young Gregory Hilliard—to discover the fate of a father he never knew. Did the elder Hilliard die with Hicks Pasha’s army at El Obeid in 1883 or, as his mother fervently hopes, did he somehow escape the massacre there by the fanatic Mahdist Dervishes?

His greatest support comes from the Ja’alin Zaki, the love of his young li
ebook, Smashwords Edition, 384 pages
Published July 17th 2013 by Reckless Books (first published July 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gregory's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gregory's Story

Start your review of Gregory's Story
Jerry
Wonderful story full of emotion, bravery, love, hardship and faithfulness. Lots of battles, which is where I can get bogged down in and need to take a breather. Loved having the Rainbow "brothers" continue and play such a vital role. Loved the other gay fellows that fleshed out the book. I assume the author portrayed the way homosexuals could exist as couples in a realistic fashion for the times. It felt right. From my 21c vantage point it seemed very under the radar of heterosexuals, and I grie ...more
Mike
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece by Roger Kean. The story follows the lives of Gregory Hilliard, an English boy born in Cairo, Egypt, and his childhood companion, Zaki, a native born Sudanese, from their early childhood to their growth and maturity as young men.
Gregory Hilliard’s parents had moved to Egypt on account of his mother's illness, which required she live in an hot dry climate. His father joined the army to support his family in the country, and was on a mission when he was lost, presumed dead by
Karen
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I usually love historicals. And long books. So I was looking forward to this one, but there were a lot of things that made it a chore to get through -- I almost DNF'ed it multiple times.

I felt like the book couldn't decide what genre it wanted to be in. For the majority, it read like a boys action/adventure novel, in the fashion of Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling. But not as good, and Gregory's good fortune -- made an officer at age 16, successful spying missions when he had no experien
April
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cairo, in the 1890's, Gregory is only sixteen years old when his mother dies, leaving him a virtual orphan. His father was a British soldier attached to the Egyptian army who never returned after the disastrous Battle of Obeid, over a decade before. Gregory's mother's last wish is for him to try and go south and find out what happened to his father, now that British and Egyptian troops are moving south in order to defeat the Mahdi and his army.

Gregory might be looked down upon by native-born En
Jocheung
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved A Life Apart very much, I loved Gregory’s Story even more. I am usually not a fan of book with extensive battle scenes. But the description of the Mahdist War in the book was so well done that I was completely immersed in it. The story was superbly crafted. The plot, the characters, the romance and the mystery were very captivating. It’s a great sequel. I wanted to give it more than five stars.
Teresa
Sep 27, 2013 marked it as dnf
Shelves: z_bom, mm, romances, historical
I tried, I really did, but it's just not my cuppa. Dry and historic, too many odd place names and a region and time that the story couldn't make me care about. If it wasn't nominated for the Book of the Month I wouldn't have even attempted it.
Lori S.
Excellent coming of age adventure fiction set against true historical events in the late 1880s.
Mike
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable and well researched story. Mr Kean is a great story teller; I found myself wrapped up in Gregory's & Zaki's tale from the start.
Günther Debertin
Dre
Caddy Rowland
Oct 30, 2013
Also: http//www.cityboiz.com

Film maker, journalist, magazine and book publisher, Roger M. Kean settled down to pen gay fiction. To date he has written Felixitations, Thunderbolt:Torn Enemy of Rome, and the “Empire Trilogy” of late Victorian action-adventure novels A Life Apart, Gregory's Story, and Harry's Great Trek. In between battling through the deserts of Sudan, he wrote the 30,000-wor

The Empire Series (3 books)
  • A Life Apart
  • Harry's Great Trek (Empire Series #3)