Start by marking “Well Played” as Want to Read:
Well Played

Well Played

Patrice Reyes is starting her junior year at the University and she's convinced it's going to be the best semester ever. For starters, it looks like this is the year her team will win the regional football (soccer, for you Yanks) championships. Her subjects are looking good, and there's even a chance she might finally get somewhere with her rock star crush. But a new class ...more
Published 2013 by KRAtienza

To ask other readers questions about Well Played, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Well Played

alexis
Review originally posted on Lacy Literacy

Inside, Mrs. Timbol said, “You know—"
"College is the best time to meet your husband," Patrice finished for her as she burst inside. "We Know."

Oh, Pride and Prejudice Retellings, I can never resist you...

Well Played came recommended by @diverseasthetics aka the only Twitter account that matters. I knew I had to read Well Played when I learned it was a New Adult Pride and playing version of Elizabeth (I know, it is football to everyone else outside of Ame
Tina
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice, although perhaps not as much of a big fan as other friends (I'm still very partial to Persuasion, because hello, Captain Wentworth and that letter!), but I like reading books and watching adaptations of Pride & Prejudice because it's my first Austen and you don't forget your first. :) When I heard of Katrina Ramos Atienza's retelling of P&P set in the Los Banos, I knew I had to read it. Even if I'm not a huge fan of football.

Patrice Reyes
Kat at Book Thingo
Full review at Book Thingo.

Based on Pride & Prejudice. Fun but the romance is shaky, which is not surprising given that I've always found Darcy to be horribly douchey and barely redeemed by the end of P&P. Clever adaptation, though, as a new adult romance set in the Philippines. Part of the universality (heh) of this reading experience is due to the strength of Patrice’s narrative voice. As with Austen, Atienza imbues her heroine with qualities that the reader can’t help but admire and b
Kaye Baccay
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The connection between two people in love can owe so much to chance: a frustrating mix of the right timing of feelings developing at the same pace and reaching the same intensity; waiting for the right move and hoping that other reads it as intended; countermoves; and the final burst of courage to confess and lay oneself open to the acceptance- or rejection- of the other."

It was such a great read! I could read this over and over and still get the same intensity of feels. ♥ Paul Dalmacio is the
Kristy Mauna
I absolutely adored this book!
- PERFECT Pride & Prejudice retelling
- Seriously. Hello, nerdy Darcy! I had all the swoons!
- Amazing and relatable main character! I loved Patrice.
- Great friendships
- Fun college adventures + soccer
- Filipino cast + beautiful setting and lots of yummy food
- JUST AMAZING
If you're looking for a great romance then I recommend checking this book out! :)
Clarisse David
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reader reactions to retellings of beloved classics often fall under two camps.

A) The author gets the characters wrong, forcing the reader hurl the book in the direction of the nearest wall and scream, "NO! I don't care if this is a retelling. Elizabeth Bennett/Jane Eye/Sherlock Holmes would never do that shit!"

B) The author gets everything right. You get the sense that the characters are basically the same people you first loved, but you get to see them in a different setting. This might be the
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
Well Played is inspired by Pride & Prejudice. While reading it I was like "yes this scene happens in P&P! YESSSS" I am such a big fan of Jane Austen retelling and while Emma is still my fave, everybody fell in love with Mr. Darcy as well. Paul Dalmacio is a perfect Mr. Darcy, I loved him and the fact that he is a math nerd made me swoon more? *I'm a goner for nerdy guys oops*

There is also soccer, banter, university, lots of freshmen, a best friend that likes the boy's best friend, more b
Staciel
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it

Saw this one on a random list of Jane Austen retellings and had never heard of it before, so I went for it.

The book, set in the Philippines, sent me on several google searches-- which is good-- to further investigate Filipino food and culture, etc..and to try and figured out if names like Paul and Patrice were actually used there.

Loved that the Mr Darcy character was a complete math nerd
Sara
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
This is a fun, low-stakes take on P&P. The college setting works quite well, and Atienza makes some smart choices about how to reconfigure the unwieldy Bennett family.
Chantal
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a nice short book...but it is kinda rushed in some places
Liana Smith Bautista | Will Read for Feels
Rating: 4.5 stars!

In Katrina Ramos Atienza’s Well Played, protagonist Patrice Reyes is an upperclassman at the university to which she earned a scholarship on the back of her skills on the football field. She’s described as tomboyish as she spends her free time training, when she isn’t working on her academics to keep her grades up as part of the requirements for her scholarship. She lives in a dorm filled with colorful characters, including a pair of den mothers whose approaches to dorm oversig
Thegirlintheafternoon
This was a pretty cute modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice, with an awesome soccer-playing heroine and great secondary characters. I wish it had been a full-length novel instead of a novella; some of the narration and events felt really rushed, and making it longer would have given it room to breathe. Still, I enjoyed it.
Charlie
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read other book reviews at Book Junkie Joint.

The Philippine College Setting was perfectly put into words in this little goody of a book with an enigmatic math nerd for a male lead, and a not-so-typical female as the heroine!

I may not have graduated from the reputed University of the Philippines, but I did graduate from a state university, so it was such a delight for me to actually read the familiar Philippine College Setting in Katrina Ramos Atienza's Well Played!

I could easily imagine the thin
Annie
SCORE! ⚽ Just finished June Goodreads Challenge with this book:
Sports-a-holic - Read a book that features a popular summer sport.
Pride and Prejudice retelling featuring soccer. Not the best Austenesque I've ever read, but amusing.
June Summer Reading Challenge
Sports - a - holics

Read a book with no human or human parts on the cover.
Isabel (Sab The Book Eater)
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Check out my stop on the blog tour and enter the PHILIPPINES ONLY giveaway!

At first I had a hard time trying to get a feel of the story. There were quite a number of minor characters introduced early in the story that I felt lost at some point. But no worries though, because the story picks up quickly and you'll easily get drawn in Patrice's crazy university life.

I like the authenticity of college life depicted through Patrice's eyes. Now, I may go to an all-girls college but a lot of the things
Jay Tria
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't read too many P&P retellings (WHY. My life is lacking huhu) and Atienza's Well Played is a good place to start. Patrice is a goal-getter (haha pun intended). She's feisty and is at times even abrasive to Paul's staid-as-a-rock, I-am-too-smart-to-have-feelings personality. Like with Austen's tale, the romance is a slow burn, and if you don't pay attention you might miss the little clues here and there that lead to the happy ending. The language slips into Austen-ish English at times ...more
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)
*3,4 stars*
Cassandra Javier
(more detailed review on The Enigma of Herself on Sept7th for the Well Played/All's Fair in Blog and War book tour :))

This is the perfect college read. Every college girl will just relate to how this story goes--memories of how the University was, memories of fratboys and sorority girls, of shindigs and parties and auctions, of bad boys and good girls and how they met...It's cute, it's light, it's a cute love story and more.
Francine
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Third #romanceclass book (no regrets so far).

If you've been reading my #romanceclass book reviews from the beginning, you will see that the lack of pages (and story) is the only thing that hinders me from fully enjoying these books. In this one, I think that the story was nice, with a nice romance and a love-hate trope, but I feel like it deserved a better ending and a lengthier story.
Cary
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Reading this book is like a trip down to memory lane. The setting and the plot are both close to my heart.
fiasco
Candace
rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2013
Hillary
rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2018
Gay
Jun 23, 2014
Mariana
Jul 21, 2018
Chick Lit and Con...: Well Played by Katrina Ramos Atienza 2 16 May 01, 2014 07:13PM
Katrina Ramos Atienza has written several contemporary romances, including The Pink Shoes Trilogy (Pink Shoes, If The Shoe Fits and Shoes Off) and The Hagette, all published by Psicom Publishing Inc.; and independently published Well Played. Her stories have appeared in the Philippines Free Press, the Manila Times and the Philippine Graphic and were included in the Muse Apprentice Guild, Warm Bodi ...more