Start by marking “Ruin (Summer in Winter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ruin (Summer in Winter, #1)

Ruin

(Summer in Winter #1)

Kate Bell isn't perfect. Not even close. The things she got up to in college would cause her parents to fall off their pedestals in shock. Home for the summer vacation, Kate settles in for a long, boring break in the tiny backwater of Winter with folks who still treat her like she's twelve.

Then Ben Parker arrives and suddenly Winter gets interesting. He's hot,
Published August 21st 2013 by C.J. Scott

To ask other readers questions about Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruin

~ Becs ~
How lush is that cover?!?!

This is fairly short, it weighs in at about 129 pages, but it's an engaging read all the same. I love this kind of set up - sleepy old town, nothing happening when a gorgeous and mysterious stranger rolls in to disturb the status quo.

This is exactly what we get with Ben. He gets off the bus in Winter (the town not the season!) and Kate and Jane can hardly believe their luck. After a bit of convicing he decides to stay at Jane's grandmother's hous
Jill
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
First I would like to say, wow! The cover is amazing, it is what drew me in.
After that things didn't go as well for this book for me.
This book was rushed, I felt where the story was going was obvious. In saying this I liked the story, I liked the idea of the book. I think if it had a bit more length and substance it would have done better.
The heroine was not my favourite in fact I out and out disliked her for the majority of the book.
She seemed virtually unhappy with ever
Cindy
" Like I said, Winter was the Sleeping Beauty of Montana. Except no prince came to wake the princess. Princes avoided Winter like she had the plague......Until now."
Exactly until now when mysterious gorgeous hunky man gets off the bus, and meets the girl.
Kate has been away to college but is home, back in sleepy Winters with her family and friends. She and Jane her friend are at the cafe when Ben Parker gets off the bus. Since no one ever gets off and stays in Winter's Kate is wondering who and
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
For a quick read, RUIN packs in a whole lotta drama!

It’s the classic story line of the small town sheriff’s daughter who is also a “good girl” falls for the vagabond bad boy.
I'm not perfect. Not by a long shot. If my parents knew what I got up to at college, they'd be horrified. I've slept with more guys in the last three years than I care to talk about. I've smoked God knows what, I've skipped class, and last month I woke up in the gutter without any underwear. See? I'm not fucking perfect!
Well, ju❝I'm/>
Pauline
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: na, romance
Actual rating 2,5 stars

"Ruin" is a short story about Kate Bell, a 21 years-old small town girl, back from college across the country, to Winter for the summer and her meeting a good looking 24 years-old stranger, Ben Parker. The town is small enough that everybody notices when someone new wanders in. Especially since there is nothing to see or do in Winter. When Kate runs into Ben in a dinner, she's instantly attracted to him and convinces her best friend Jane to give him a place to stay for
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 ~ 2 3/4 Winter Stars

This is a real short story, it's 113 pages on my Nook. I found the main character, Kate was just too pushy for my tastes while the male lead, Ben was a tad too soft.

Kate, Way to win the guy who thinks your perfect's heart...

"And another thing. I'm not perfect. Not by a long shot. If my parents knew what I got up to at college, they'd be horrified. I've slept with more guys in the last three years than I care to talk about. I've smoked God knows what, I've skipped class, and last monthheart...
Kelly
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Ruin by C.J. Scott surprised me in a very good way. I already knew I liked C.J. 's writing, but I haven't had good luck with novella's in the past. However I was worrying for nothing because after reading Ruin, she's moved up to the short list of authors who if I know it is by her, I'll be more than willing to read it.

What I liked: As soon as it started, I was sucked in. Ruin is short, but don't let that fool you. There is a ton of worldbuilding here, done so skillfully that it never becomes bothersome
Rose
Short and sweet review for a short read. C.J. Scott's "Ruin" was a book I was on the fence about, but the premise was enough for me to pick it up. The novel, as a whole, isn't quite vetted out, and rather formulaic. So formulaic that, well, I found it uneventful and unsurprising for 127 pages.

Kate is a "good girl" home from college in her small, uneventful town called Winter. Lo and behold, Ben Parker (which is rather unfortunate considering his name is shared with a character from S
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author C. J. Scott, and Netgalley.)
20-year-old Kate is home from college in the small village on Winter where she grew up, when 24-year-old Ben arrives in town.

Ben is broke and has nowhere to stay, so Kate suggests he stay with her friend and her grandmother and in return work on their house for them. This also means that Kate will get the chance to get to know him better.
Who is
Elizabeth
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was really sure what to expect with Ruin. The synopsis is very vague but that is a good thing because the reader is really able to sit back and experience the ride.

Ruin had me hooked the entire time. I had so many questions and couldn't stop reading - I needed to get my answers.

Ruin starts off with a stranger showing up in the boring little town of Winter. Kate, a college student spending the summer at home with her parents, feels an instant connection to the stranger - Ben Parke
Kj
Mystery man In a Small Town

**I was provided a free copy of this book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

This book started off with so much potential. I loved the author's descriptive writing. I could actually picture the small town of Winter and Jane's home in my head as I was reading the book.

I actually started off liking the main character Kate. She is very forward and blunt and I enjoyed that until she was became so pushy with Ben that she seemed almost desperate. Ben on the other hand was myst

/>

This/>

**I
Christine
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Ruin by C.J. Scott
3.5 Stars

The story starts off as the main character Kate, a college student, comes back to her hometown of Winter, for the summer. She hates the small, dying town where she grew up and only comes back because her parents guilt her into it. Things start looking up, when a sexy “stranger” comes to town, she decides immediately to befriend him. Only her feelings for him develop rather rapidly and in a very short time. When I say short time, I mean short as in hou
Angela
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A mysterious stranger and a small town girl…..

Copy received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Who wouldn’t look twice when a gorgeous and mysterious stranger steps off a bus in a town that time forgot.

That’s exactly what happened to Kate Bell. Brought up in Winter, she has escaped her loving but over protective parent’s clutches by going to college only to return for a visit and to fall in love with a stranger.

Ben Parker arrives in Wint
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

3 OK STARS

Definition:

ruined past participle, past tense of ru·in (Verb)
Verb
1.Reduce (a building or place) to a state of decay, collapse, or disintegration: "a ruined castle".
2.Cause great and usually irreparable damage or harm to; have a disastrous effect on: "a noisy freeway has ruined village life".

I am giving the cover of this book 5 HOTT STARS because straight up I wanna lick the cover
Lo Bookfrantic
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was short but excellent written, the story was perfect had me hooked from page one. I fell in love with all the characters from the beginning . This story it gave me butterflies, made me cry, it was really everything I love about books. A suspense young man with secrets with a sad story. The end is perfect. If you are looking for a hot, short, suspense novel well this is it. I loved it. I can't wait to read Jane's story in book 2.
Lola
I got a copy in exchange for an honest review

After participating in the cover reveal for this book I wanted to read it, so when I noticed it on Netgalley I didn't hesitate and requested it. This book was different than I expected, but it was really well written and the story was so intriguing.

Ruin is about a small town called Winter, winter is such a boring town and there isn't really anything left there. At first we see Winter through Kate her eyes and even I felt the ne
Carver's Book Cravings
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review by Natalie

Kathryn Bell better know as Kate is a college student, attending The University of Maryland studying criminology.

She's originally from Winter, Montana and visiting her family and friends there on summer break. Winter has long

lost its life, after the saw mills closed down and most moved away in search of work or schooling like she did.

Coming back is bitter sweet because she should be enjoying her summer break instead of sitting in this desolate town.
Miranda Whore
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Review for Ruin (A Summer in Winter Novel #1) by CJ Scott

I am seriously torn about this review. I finished this book a few days ago and I have to be honest here, I’m still completely undecided on how I feel. So, here I am writing a review and I don’t really know where it’s going to go… probably into ruin. (See what I did there? Ruin, ruin. Oh, shut up you smiled at my idiocy.) The main thought that is running through my head is ‘rushed’. The entire book felt like a sprint to the end.
Rachel Swords
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
**4 out of 5**

Read my full review at http://romancereaders101.blogspot.com

I was looking for a short quick read without a lot of issues and this book covered those points well. It's a short book but worth the read. There was more angst than I expected. I'm not a huge fan of instalove but knowing it was short was ok with it. The characters were ok. I liked everyone for the most part. The heroine had a tendency to get on my nerves at points but she was over all easy to like. The hero was tall, dark, and handsome.
Shirley Frances
Kate is spending the summer back in her hometown of Winter. She dreads spending her days in a small, quiet town where nothing changes. Then a stranger enter the town's diner. As mysterious events go, this one is a bug one. No one ever comes to Winter, mostly they just want to leave. So when Ben steps off the bus and into the little town of Winter, Kate can't help but be curious about the handsome, quiet stranger.

As a short read Ruin packs a punch with its interesting characters, romance
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Firstly I have to say it's the cover that draws you to this book. It's an excellently presented piece of artwork for sure. Hot dude, the house gives an idea of connection. The black and white photography with the colourful title is very visually stimulating altogether; yes I would say this book cover is certainly enticing indeed.

This story is short and a quick read. Because of that though I found the plot rus
L.J (Lisa Jane)
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Cover: The cover is hot and caught my attention!
The Characters: Kate - She is strong, rebellious (but not in a bad way) and so very curious. I liked her character and her drive and passion for life.Ben - Is dark, sexy and mysterious. He is a gentleman and kindhearted but has an edge to him.Jane - I thought she was a little old fashioned but she was ok and came about as the story progressed. I/>/>
SammiesBookBlog
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: if-the-shoe-fits
There was a bunch of things I liked about the story and some I didn't like so much. I liked the overall concept and mystery of the story. It was intriguing and new. It drew me in from the start and held my attention until the very end. It was very short, I wish some things would of been longer. Like the relationship with Kate and Ben. I felt a sexual connection with them, but nothing more. I wanted more. Jane was really sweet and I see she has a book of her own. I will probably read that! I hope ...more
Daisy Sloan

Interesting word, ruin. It has so many definitions. But what is ruined to one person is only slightly damaged by another. Yet, a third person will not see it has damaged or ruined. And sometimes a little tender loving care is all that’s needed to make it seem like new again, like it has a second chance.

Ruin by C.J. Scott is all about second chances. It reminds us to see people for what they are now and not what they were in the past. It also reminds us that we all need someone in our lives to love us, ke
Miranda Lynn
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was not overly impressed with this book, unfortunately. I give the author props for coming up with a plotline that was actually kind of interesting and cool; a little bit reminiscent of the style of Kate Morton and Sarah Jio. But the fact that this book is only novella size (at 100 pages) makes it hard to develop the background necessary to pull off that kind of "OMG" moment at the end of the book. I barely felt like I'd met the characters, and was not nearly comfortable enough with the story ...more
buzy_reading
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ruin was an unexpected surprise. This was one of those times that I should not have judged the book by its cover. I overlooked this book for a year because the cover did not draw me in. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it.
It began with mystery and desire with the new visitor in Winters. Ben stopped in the town of Winters looking for work. He not only acquired work but a companion as well. Kate having grown up in Winters could not wait to leave until Ben arrived. It was an insta
Rachel
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-arc, fluff
I actually really liked this. It wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed reading it. Once I started, I read it straight through.

The worst thing about the book was it flirted with the line of way to sappy. It was really close. I did find myself giggling occasionally.

Also, I wanted it to be longer. However, that isn't really a complaint so much as a compliment.

I'd score the writing at a 3/5. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular either. Some of the dialogue didn't feel
Julie
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
The town of Winter has dwindled down to just the locals. Once a bustling place when the mill was open, times have changed and the town has lost it’s quaint charm. As the daughter of the sheriff, Kate Bell wanted more out of life than being stuck in a town with no visible future. She attends college in Maryland, far away from her home in Montana. During her summer breaks, Kate comes home to visit her family.

Visits home are always boring for Kate. There is never anything ’fun’ to do. For once, sh
Alessandra
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Kate Bell is home from college. She's happy to reunite with her best friend Jane, who is living in twon and taking care of her sick grandmother. Kate is expecting along, boring summer at her parents' house. But them Ben Parker arrives. He's dark and mysterious, and looking for a job. Jane offers him to stay at her grandmother's house in order to fix it for food and board. Ben and Kate share an immediate attraction, but he keeps pushing her away. And Ben's past is catching up with him, threatenin ...more
Laura Carson
* I was given a copy of this book from the author via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review*

Kate Bell can't believe she's back in winter for her summer vacation. While other parents are going to the beach with their college student children, she's stuck in the most boring town that is slowly dying before her eyes. This is going to be a summer like every other one, spending time with her friend Jane who is taking care of her grandmother, spending time with her parents who have n
« previous 1 3 next »

• Beneath the Surface (Reluctance, #1)
  • A Veil of Glass and Rain
  • Broken (Save Me, #2)
  • A Good Time (The O'Learys, #2)
  • Sleeves
  • Not Your Fault
  • The Gate (The Dark Path, #1)
  • Paradise Hops
  • I Breathe You
  • Window (Paris Secrets, #1)
  • Precious Embrace (Embrace Series Book 2)
  • These Things About Us
  • Levi's Ultimatum
  • Archer (Hard Body, #1)
  • Long For Me (Secrets & Shadows, #0.7)
  • Deeper
  • Missing
  • Too Fast (Too Fast #1)

Summer in Winter (2 books)
  • Torn (Summer in Winter, #2)