Start by marking “74 Seaside Avenue” as Want to Read:
74 Seaside Avenue

74 Seaside Avenue (Cedar Cove #7)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  8,900 Ratings  ·  319 Reviews
Olivia Lockhart-Griffin

Cedar Cove, Washington

Dear Reader,

Do you remember Teri Miller? She works at Get Nailed, the beauty salon here in town. Well, Teri got married a little while ago—to Bobby Polgar, the famous chess champion. They've moved into a beautiful house, 74 Seaside Avenue, which has a spectacular view of Puget Sound.

Teri's my hairdresser, and she confided th
Published January 28th 2014 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 74 Seaside Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 74 Seaside Avenue

Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Possibly some little spoiler-ish bits here.

I both read and listened to this on audio cd. The narration was terrible, she went into robot mode when speaking as a male!

A rewarding and safe read as always, some unlikely things happened in my opinion (characters in this series play it very 'safe'). One example was a couple in a long distance relationship who visit each other and the guy stays at a friends house?! I'm being judgemental, I know!

Cedar Cove is moving along nicely, it was nice seeing th
Apr 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got a third through this book and had no idea what was going on. There were way too many characters and no plot. I had to stop reading it because it was driving me crazy.
BJ Rose
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would through the first half of the book, but I have read Debbie Macomber books before, so I stayed with it, and the last 1/3 was worth the read. But I learned a very valuable lesson: even though books in some series are written as 'stand-alones', picking up one in the middle of the series is like coming into a movie in the middle; by the time you get to the end, you've figured things out, but you're aware you missed so much more.

That said, I enjoy books abou
Pretty typical Macomber - enjoyable and easy to read. However this book had so many different characters and story lines that didn't intersect that it was hard to keep track of who was related to who and what was going on with each one. At times it was such a jumble I almost gave up as I was so confused. But I hung in till the end and that is exactly what I got. The End. The book ended with several of the story lines up in the air, but I won't tell you which ones. I'm sure that means there is an ...more
Book 7 in the Cedar Cove series centers on hairdresser Teri and her chess champion husband, Bobby Polgar. While Teri has a dynamic personality and is a great addition to the cast of characters, Bobby is not realistic. A chess genius, he has limited social skills but his scenes feel forced. The drama of this book revolves around a Russian chess player who threatens to harm Teri unless Bobby throws a chess match. I don't doubt the competitiveness of chess, but the whole story arc was ridiculous.
Jul 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring! Disconnected! Still trying to figure out who was who! Ha, ha, I just read reviews from other people and no wonder I couldn't figure out the characters, etc. It's #7 in a series and characters are woven in and out throughout each book. I still would only give it 2 stars because it's like a gossipy soap opera!
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
Keep 'em coming! I'm hooked on this series which comes out every September.
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
74 Seaside Avenue is the address of Teri (Miller) Polgar and her chess champion husband, Bobby. Teri begins the narration in the 7th book in the popular Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber. Once again, we join our well-loved residents of Cedar Cove to find out what is happening in their lives. Teri’s story involves subtle threats and kidnapping and a surprise for Bobby, as well as some tactical chess moves; Teri’s friend from Get Nailed, Rachel Pendergast, whose navy boyfriend Nate Olsen has mo ...more
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I liked this book more than the last, which in this series, is saying something. Linette Cox flees Cedar Cove due to a broken heart and ends up in Buffalo Valley, North Dakota. (Buffalo Valley is another, older series by the same author and familiar faces from that series show up in Buffalo Valley.) Loved Teri and Bobby Polgar's story, kidnapping, chess match, etc. Happy Rachel finally made her choice as that was getting tiring.

Not too thrilled with Sheriff Troy Davis' new romance with an old f
Jeanine Lent
This is the 7th book, in the Cedar Cove series. These books just keep getting better. I love starting a new book, already knowing many of the characters. The author keeps the books interesting by always introducing a few new characters. The book is labeled a romance novel, in my public library, but it is so much more than that. There is often some suspense added to these stories, too, & this one was no different.

The author puts, in the front of the book, a list of all the main characters, &a
Romancing the Book
Debbie Macomber has created such a rich and engaging town in her Cedar Cove series. 74 Seaside Avenue is the seventh book in the series and it lives up to the high expectations delivered by the previous installments. This is a series that really must be read in order. Story lines arc from one book to the next. Characters keep reappearing to update you on what has happened since their book. And new characters that will eventually have their own story make their introductions.

Trying to summarize t
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone at all
It's exciting that Terri is pregnant, hope everything works out for her & Bobby. I would expect for Bobby to hire a Bodyguard to protect Terri. He seems to really love her. The relationship that seems to be starting between Terri's Sister Christine & Bobby's Chauffeur James is unexpected. That is going to be fun. Interesting to see where the reacquaintance of Troy & his High School Sweetheart will go. Hope his Daughter doesn't have MS, that would be terrible. It is about time that Br ...more
This was a quick and easy read, but I didn't find it all that enjoyable. I know it's part of a series, I think it's like the 8th or something, but I've never read any of the other books. I'm hoping this explains the complete lack of connection I felt with any of the characters. It jumps from couple to couple in small town in Washington state and I really only cared about maybe two of the story lines. Since it's in a series, it also left a lot of loose ends that I'm sure will be tied up in subseq ...more
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My husband saw this book at the library and thought I'd like it so he grabbed it for me. Neither of us knew this was #7 in series until I came to rate it on Goodreads. I was going to say that for such an easy read, there were too many characters for me to keep their backstories straight so I was rating it a 2. Finding out that it's so far in a series explains why and if I'd read all the previous books, I would have been able to keep it straight and I would have given it 3 stars. But I really don ...more
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
I always enjoy the Cedar Cover Series by Ms. Macomber...they are an easy enjoyable don't necessarily have to start at book number 1 to enjoy the book, but I would recommed starting at 1 if you think you are going to read them. This was just the easy read that I needed after all the Harry Potter books (all 7 in a row) followed by His Dark Materials Trilogy.
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick_lit, overdrive, dpl
3.5 stars.

Better than the last several books in this series, mostly due to the fact that we were not subjected to 20-25% of the book upfront being a rehash of past events. I do think Macomber could still improve her hints and reminders of pivotal past events to be a bit more subtle, but overall there was significant improvement. If that continues I will continue reading the series.
Karen Benson
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Cedar Cove novel, written in Debbie Macomber's usual form. I am a fan of the series, so I loved the book. There are a few surprises in this one and it's going to be a long wait until August 2008 for 8 Sandpiper Way and Debbie's contract goes through sequel 9, so we have at least two more years to enjoy Cedar Cove and all of the residents we have become close to.
Dec 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldnt get through it. Picked up an audio book for a drive to Tahoe. Actually lasted 2 disks and still don't know why anyone would read or listen to this book. No depth to the characters and if it was going to have a plot, I didn't last long enough to find out.
Glenda L
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read about the people in Cedar Cove. Debbie Macomber makes her characters come to life ... can't wait to read the next one. I have read the first 6 of the series and loved each one of them.
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-flick
I may have rated this higher if I had realized this was book 7 in a series. As it was, I wasn't invested in any of the characters, and I found it to be a soap opera read like Cass's review.
Sep 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an almost too perfect life in Cedar Cove and sometimes too close to sappy but I sure do like this series. It's fun to sneak a peek into other families.
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Some characters that we had not heard from in awhile. This is a very fun series to read and so far, this was in my favorite.
Kim Smiley
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed listening to this story. Once again, all of the regular characters are back, but this story mainly deals with Terry and her new husband, chess play Bobby Polgar. He is intent on keeping Terry safe, as his rival Russian chess player is threatening harm to Terry. so Bobby has stopped playing, trying to perfect a way to win against the Russian who wants him to make specific moves when they play to get himself trapped in the "black hole." Bobby is trying to figure out how to get out ...more
Gina Baratono
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is part of Macomber's Cedar Cover series. Cedar Cove is a nice little community with an interesting array of characters. This particular story is about some of the characters you will meet in previous stories, including Teri, who works at Get Nailed, and her new husband, a chess champion. They move into a home at 74 Seaside Avenue. Get Nailed is a beauty salon and host to the normal chit-chat and gossip you would expect. There are a few twists and turns though, and the series is quite ...more
Heather Bridson
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still adore the Cedar Cove books! This one had a lot of my favorite characters, Teri and bobby, Olivia and Jack, Cliff and Grace. Just a great mix, and although I cried a lot in this book, I still love the series and the stories in it. I love getting a glimpse into the lives of these wonderful characters in every book. Uplifting and just a great series! Next one is on the piano waiting for me to read! Just love them!!!

I picked this one up at a thrift shop. I was not paid in any way and all opi
Lucy McLaurin
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up a book by Debbie Macomber is like going out for latte and cake with an old friend and having a good old catch up; knowing that all is good with the world.

It's like having a nice cosy night in with a blanket snuggled up with your loved one in front of a roaring fire.

Comforting and reassuring.

I love learning how the residents of Cedar Cove are getting on and what is going on in their lives.
Chrissie Hearn
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story in the Cedar Cover stories. I love these characters and stories so much. I found it a bit hard to get into at first but I think thats more of the fact that I lack time to read. Either way... just great!
Leslie Lamb
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bobby stops playing chess because he is threatened by a Russian opponent and might harm his wife. Olivia finds out she has cancer. A reception is put on for Grace and Cliff since they eloped. Rachel and James get kidnapped. It is then that Rachel can only think of Bruce and realizes she loves him.
Another visit to the world of Cedar Cove where all problems are the result of the inability of a single person to communicate with anyone else. I almost DNF'd it but eventually got sucked in to the soap opera.
Carleen Hyatte
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cedar Cove is one of those series you can get invested into to, and the characters grow on you over time and it heartwarming to me. It great to see story lines wrap up and new ones emerged. Recommend highly
  • Welcome to Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4)
  • Dockside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #3)
  • Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11)
  • Sister's Choice
  • An Accidental Woman
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Cedar Cove (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1)
  • 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2)
  • 311 Pelican Court (Cedar Cove, #3)
  • 44 Cranberry Point (Cedar Cove, #4)
  • 50 Harbor Street (Cedar Cove, #5)
  • 6 Rainier Drive (Cedar Cove, #6)
  • 8 Sandpiper Way (Cedar Cove, #8)
  • 92 Pacific Boulevard (Cedar Cove, #9)
  • 1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove, #10)
  • 1105 Yakima Street (Cedar Cove, #11)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“him. The happiness she felt was still new to her and it actually frightened her a little.” 0 likes
“They hadn’t been married long and she hated to disillusion him so soon. Once he met the family, he might well have serious doubts about her, and the truth was, she wouldn’t blame him.” 0 likes