Start by marking “When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up” as Want to Read:
When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up

When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up is the story of eight women called to serve God and who, in doing so, changed the world. They lived at the turn of the century, rubbing shoulders with the well-known men of their time, like John Rockefeller, Marshall Field, and Dwight Lyman Moody.

These women—Fanny Crosby, Mary McLeod Bethune, Nettie McCormick, Sarah
Published February 1st 2014 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about When Others Shuddered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Others Shuddered

Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I am grateful for the introduction to these extraordinary women. I am happy to pass this book along to my 11 year old daughter; may she be inspired by what a love for the Gospel compelled these women to do, and how God continues to use their ministries.
Rayleigh
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Synopsis:

“Travel back in time to turn-of-the-century America. Skirts trailed the floor, hats were a must, and corsets were commonplace. People traveled by horse and carriage, locomotive, or ship. The first skyscrapers were built. The World’s Fair arrived in Chicago.

Life was swiftly changing in the United States, but for most, it was also difficult. Men and women flooded cities in a desperate search for work. Former slaves fled north seeking freedom and education. Crime began to rise as bro
Dawn Pulgine
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eight women – bold, tenacious, persistent, and driven. Each unique, yet similar in their passion to serve God and people. The kind of women that many desire to be.

When Others Shuddered is a compilation of their individual stories and their impactful lives. Jamie Janosz, a wife, mother, writer, and professor of communications at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, delves back to the turn-of-the-century. Back to a time when it was believed that women made better homemakers than humanitarians.

Not the
Ruth Hoernig
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My intent when beginning to read WHEN OTHERS SHUDDERED was to read a chapter a morning during my time with God. Oh so many mornings I simply couldn't help but read on to the next chapter. I've read many Biographies in the past for a Christian Book award given annually and this would have gotten my highest recommendation. I was inspired by each of the women portrayed. What struck me was how their flaws, or the circumstances of their lives seemed to disqualify them from service, yet they persevere ...more
Amanda
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You will immediately be drawn in to these women's incredible stories of determination to make a difference. Whether or not you believe God was the source of their strength, you will be inspired. If you do believe, you'll be inspired in your own faith and by what God can do through you. Jamie's research is evident as she weaves fact into storytelling. Also obvious is her deep respect for these humble women who were also extraordinary world changers. This is a book that you will at points be compe ...more
Leigh Ann
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for our book club this month and absolutely loved it!! This tells the stories of 8 women in Chicago in the late 1800s-early 1900s and really made a difference for many people. These are 8 short easy to read biographies that may leave you wanting to read more about them! It was also interesting to read the history of early Chicago, Moody, the Chicago fire and the World's Fair. These were women who went against what was expected of them to make a difference in the world. I hope th ...more
Nina Olivos
So inspiring too look into the lives of 8 women who did BIG things for Gods kingdom despite tragedies, obstacles, racism, and gender restrictions of the 1800-1900s
Dana Kamstra
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reviews
This book was quite a bit different from what I was expecting. I was interested in reading about the women in this book. There were only a couple of names that I recognized, like Fanny Crosby for example, and I could hardly tell you anything about her beyond the fact that she wrote hymns.

Jamie Janosz blends between creative narration and writing out the facts about these women. Sometimes her approach comes across as a bit more of a story, and I really wish she would have stuck with that style a
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Unsung and unknown women have the greatest share in pushing on God's work among the lost" (89). I, for one, am thankful that Jamie Janosz has done the work of researching each of these notable women and is now singing their praises.

This was an inspiring and encouraging first book of the year. Each of these eight women had a particular vision for where their talents and passion could meet the great needs of the world. Each of them was convinced that the word of God and prayer could accomplish m
Andie Roeder Moody
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Just finished this lovely little book by my professor/mentor/friend Jamie Janosz. For women of ambition, strength, and faith, it's a comforting and challenging look at like-minded women who went before us. For those interested in the history of Chicago or Moody, it's a fascinating collection of stories about a few key players. She researched this well, and the gorgeous illustrations are also by my friend Jonathan Critcher! I highly recommend it!
Lisa Nelson
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book leaves you asking what influence do I have that can make a difference in others lives and spreading the Gospel.
Jessica
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me by Aunt Joan. It's amazing how much one single person can accomplish (with the help of God). It's amazing how much one person can change the world.
Carol Van Der Woude
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I posted a review on my blog: www.carolvanderwoudern.com
Barbara
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up by Jamie Janosz contains eight short biographies of women who lived between 1820 and 1955 who influenced their world for God. They came from different walks of life: some single, some married, some wealthy, some former slaves. They were ordinary women except, as the title indicates, they didn’t “shudder,” they didn’t turn away from circumstances or tasks that many of us would have, and thus they can inspire us.

They are: Fanny Crosby, Emma
David Green
Good but not Great

I liked the fact hat the author tackled a subject that his often over-looked but I would have liked to have seen more discernment on the women who were chosen to write about. Not all of them were Scriptural in their work.
Mariejkt
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"When Others Shuddered, Eight Women Who Refused To Give Up" By Jamie Janosz is a good book about eight women who stayed strong and worked hard for Jesus Christ. The eight women that Jamie Janosz writes about are Fanny Crosby, "Emma" Dryer, "Nettie" McCormick, Sarah Clarke, Amanda Smith, Virginia Asher, Evangeline Booth, and Mary Bethune. All of these women were born and lived in the 1800's up until the early 1930's. Fanny Crosby was the only one I knew who she was before this book. This book re ...more
Victoria W.
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Growing up I loved all my classes in History, English, and what we called Social Studies. Their one unifying link being stories. I loved learning about the people and faces from the near and distant past and was often within reach of yet another book delving into some brand new tale.

I also quickly realized that within the Christian curriculum I used, there was a great gap in women holding central positions in these stories. Since this was pre-internet days (actually to be honest that house is st
Brittany
Jun 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: moody-publishers
Reading about other people can be enjoyable. It is interesting to see how others experience life. Hearing the stories of others can help us to reflect on our own. Their lives can influence us and encourage us to be better, to be stronger, and to try harder. That is what I thought I would be given when I started out to read this book.

When Others Shuddered by Jamie Janosz was not what I was expecting. I had been looking forward to a book that would help me get to know more women of faith; to learn
Lydia Howe
Why I Choose this Book:
It's encouraging and inspiring to read about people who have done great things for God and have lived their lives to the fullest. I like to read about their lives so I can "learn their secrets" so to speak and use my life to bring glory to God.
What I Thought About this Book:
This book reminded me of a compilation of "book reviews" of the eight ladies' lives that were featured. There were about 20-25 pages devoted to each woman and gave a general overview of their lives an
Trinity Rose
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
When Others Shuddered Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up by Jamie Janosz is an interesting book. It’s not an entertaining book, but one that tells about the lives of eight different women who didn’t follow the normal things in life for their time period.
Each chapter follows the life stories of these ladies, Fanny Crosby, “Emma” Emeline E. Dryer, “Nettie” Nancy (Fowler) McCormick, Sarah Dunn Clarke, Amanda Smith, Virginia Asher, Evangeline Booth, Mary McLeod Bethune. They all grew up in the 180
Julius McCarter
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jamie Janosz's When Women Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up is a fascinating, quick read that explores the biographies of eight Christian women from the turn of that century when "skirts trailed the floor, hats were a must, and corsets were commonplace". These stories have received so little retelling that it's a faithful testament to the lives of those who -- at a time we usually find women "silent" -- had much to say as a testimony to Jesus Christ.

The eight women of When Women Shud
Carrie-Anne O'Driscoll
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
An inspirational book about women who spearheaded women in Christian service as well as the world of politics! Janosz begins prior to the Civil War and chooses little known women in history who should by all rights have their own chapters in history. Many of these women were from the Chicago area while all of them had benefactors or associates in common.
Janosz chose white as well as black women to explain the importance of women in the service of God in a time when this country desperately ne
Victoria
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
All of these stories were set in the 1800s and are based around those who either attended Dwight L. Moody's school or knew/met him. Even though during that time women were even more oppressed (and in some of these women's cases oppressed because of their skin color or handicaps), these ladies overcame hardships by trusting in God to lead them and their ministries. Each story is inspiring and encouraging. My favorites were Fanny Crosby, Amanda Smith, and Sarah Dunn Clarke. Their stories were the ...more
Naomi Blackburn
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was actually placed on my book pile by a librarian friend of mine. I thought it was ok, but nothing really special.

While the stories were uplifting, they were short and sweet bios. Basically, they were superficial, but to the point. I simply found it to be a quick read, but not much more past that. I will say that there were two women I did find fascinating and will be doing further research on.
Traci Shipley
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
WOW!

I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you, Jamie!

These women are extraordinary and inspirational!

I recommend this book to any and all Christian women and their daughters and to anyone who loves a Christian woman.

I want to get more copies for my friends and daughters!

Barry Peffer
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book about 8 women of the 19th century. I only knew the names of 3 of them when I started the book. What amazing and terrible things they all overcame in their service to God! A humbling read, learning all they went through and how they came out the other side with faith intact!
Sweetpea
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the GoodReads First Reads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. A wonderful book about eight extraordinary women, loved it.
Diana D
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A very good and inspirational book. It gave me something to think about, What am I doing for God?
Ann Gemmel
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy shorter biography more bio "sketches", this is a satisfying read.
Susy DiCecco
Feb 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Green Like God: Unlocking the Divine Plan for Our Planet
  • Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God, a Broken Mother's Search for Hope
  • Tables in the Wilderness: A Memoir of God Found, Lost, and Found Again
  • Fierce Convictions: The Extraordinary Life of Hannah More—Poet, Reformer, Abolitionist
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • The Gospel Centered Woman: Understanding Biblical Womanhood through the Lens of the Gospel
  • Early Christian Martyr Stories: An Evangelical Introduction with New Translations
  • Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home
  • Martin Luther: A Man Who Changed the World
  • And Some Have Greatness Thrust Upon Them
  • On Asking God Why: And Other Reflections on Trusting God in a Twisted World
  • The Story Of George Washington Carver
  • Young, Restless, No Longer Reformed: Black Holes, Love, and a Journey in and Out of Calvinism
Jamie Janosz is a writer, wife, mother, and works as the Content Strategy Manager at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Her writing has appeared in Christianity Today's Her.meneutics blog, Catapult online magazine, and other sites. She is a contributing author to Moody’s monthly devotional Today in the Word and the author of When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up.
More about Jamie Janosz

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?
    $9.99 $2.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet