Start by marking “Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale” as Want to Read:
Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale

Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale

How well does your organization respond to changing market conditions, customer needs, and emerging technologies when building software-based products? This practical guide presents Lean and Agile principles and patterns to help you move fast at scale—and demonstrates why and how to apply these methodologies throughout your organization, rather than with just one departmen ...more
Published December 4th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lean Enterprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Enterprise

Sebastian Gebski
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T book.

In theory, it shouldn't be any kind of surprise, because it's Jez Humble's book - and he's the man who gave famous "Continuous Delivery" to the world. But I was skeptical: first, because I've read quite a few "Lean" books recently and none of them (except Poppendiecks, of course) was really useful; second, because I didn't like some of Jez'es opinions expressed on the web recently. I wouldn't risk a statement that I disagree with them completely, but I had a feeling that h
Sergey Shishkin
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book should be a required read for every software engineering university program as well as MBAs. Seriously, it's the most comprehensive coverage of modern management and product development principles and practices I've came across. It presents radical but proven ideas in a respectful and non-dogmatic way, backed up with case studies of the most successful companies across industries. Extra points for covering NUMMI – the ultimate case study of lean thinking.
Arturas
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read book for anyone in software development leadership role, especially VP of Engineering and Product Management.

Book is packed with a lot of information, practical advice and my favorite case studies that connect everything to reality.

This book covers product development, organizational culture, hiring and developing talent, prioritisation and a lot more.
Oksana Hoshva
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it

The book relatively short, concise and practical as the authors intended it to be. It clearly explains how the disciplines of Lean, Agile, Kata, Lean Startup, and Design Thinking are converging through the unifying principles of an adaptive learning organisation. The authors we show how to grow organisations which can innovate rapidly in response to changing market conditions, customer needs, and emerging technologies.

Part I of the book introduces the main themes of the book: culture, strategy,
Mike Bowler
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile-lean
If you only read one book about improving your organization this year, make it this one. The authors bring together a large number of individual topics into one coherent story and sprinkle that with a collection of fascinating case studies.

I was already familiar with most of the individual topics that are covered in this book and yet I ended up highlighting more sections in this book than I think I've ever done in any other book. I can't recommend this highly enough.
Marrije
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Ace. Will be re-reading, pondering and quoting this book a lot, I think.
Ahmad hosseini
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Innovation in large, bureaucratic organizations is challenging because they are inherently designed to support stability, compliance, and precedence over risk taking. But today, innovation is a must-have in all areas, so big companies also need ways to take advantage of innovation.
This book provides a pragmatic toolkit of strategies and practices for establishing high performing organizations and inject innovation into large companies. For this purpose book explains how to apply lean practice a
Giovani Facchini
This book brings a very challenging view to those who may be only used to waterfall processes, huge (big-bang) projects and quality gates, hence I recommend the reading for those that did not have an exposure to Agile and would like to challenge some of their believes.

One of the ideas I really like is the concepts of "Horizons" for product development and how to use the discovery for it through MVP's that are build fast and cheap to validate ideas by customer experimentation and measurement. Fur
Patrick
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I'm friends with some of the authors.

This book was an absolutely exceptional summation of the latest in business organization and operations for the digital age. Incorporating much of the latest thinking on business agility, the authors use sources such as Daniel H Pink, Eric Ries, John Kotter, and Mike Rother (amongst many others) to describe the attitudes, values, and culture necessary for your organization to adapt quickly in the modern business environment. The first two thirds o
Tomáš
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. It shows lean principles in the context of enterprise environment. For me, the biggest eye opener was the distinction between exploration (doing something new, with high risk of wasting an investment) and exploitation (modifying something already working with risk of loosing current profit). There are principles and strategies, which has to be applied differently to both aproaches, but they can still follow the lean ideas (focus on delivering value, reduce waste,...). ...more
Julian Dunn
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the bible for anyone seeking to transform their organization along modern principles of service and product delivery. It is heavily IT focussed, but this is where we can expect to see much of the value driven out of corporations in the future -- through software products. Therefore it is critical to involve many other areas of a company not traditionally associated with technology projects like finance, audit and compliance, security to get them working in a lean manner compatible w ...more
Charles Baker
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. It should be required reading for everyone working in a large enterprise at any level. Some of it is very specific to the executive level and finance people but it is well worth understanding those concerns even if you are a front line worker. Lean and Kaizen work! I might write more about it later.
Jordan Munn
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book that thoroughly but easily explores Lean as a strategic approach, not just a tactical one. Beyond all the good ideas presented and points made, I really, really appreciated 2 things about the book:
1. The book is always very mindful to remind WHY it's making the points it is. It continually orients the reader to where they are in the workflow, what they're trying to get out of a particular step, and therefore why they're doing the thing they're doing (and how).
2. It marries both
Georgiy Ivankin
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever. Structurally, stylistically and content-wise it is very, very well done. A lot of inspiration and learning (and sometimes frustration while you're learning how things might be and compare to how things are). Would recommend to anyone, including "individual contributors", working in IT, not necessarily enterprises. Not a very easy read as the language is quite academic.
Dariusz Biskup
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me several months to swallow this book but it was worth the effort. What I liked the most is that it teaches how to introduce Lean to larger organizations from several perspectives (not only software eng./IT) like product, finance, governance, IT Ops etc. Additionally it inspired me to read several other books related to various topics that were referenced in the book.
Claudio Cesar Sanches
More technical than most of the books regarding Lean Enterprise

It is a very goof guide for implementing change in an IT organization towards a Lean Enterprise. Give some interesting example of companies that made this change. It’s a good complement to the book Inspired by Martin Cagan and the Eric Ries’ books.
Drewes
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you know your basics of Lean and Agile than the discussed is quite easy to grasp and it does hold several nuggets that might benefit you. A great read which is easy to comprehend. Near the end (when discussing the management role) Jez seems to be contradicting himself. Too bad this was the section I was most interested in...
Denis Romanovsky
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are books on specific topics and there are integration books. This book is good at integrating different ideas around lean thinking, design thinking, agile and other. Though, the ideas are clear and explanations are simple, still the book does not tell enough details on implementation. You have to go to many other books for more details. Anyway, it was a very good reading!
Kevin McDonagh
A whistle stop tour through lean practices at scale. Although I appreciate their having been documented it felt a little as if this were a dictionary and to obtain real value I still need to get to the source. It's been good as a jump-off point for more reading.
Alex
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply awesome

I’d recommend this book to every leader in the area of software product development. It gives extensive overview and recommendations on how to help your organization to win.
Christopher J Sorenson
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book did a good job articulating a path forward without being too formulaic or prescriptive. It challenged a few of my assumptions, and made it clear just how hard it will be to make changes in a large culture.
John Madsen
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book, which gives insights on how to scale innovations. It showcases a lot of examples on what the best in class do to change their organisation within. The book earns its rights as a being a great reference book written in plain English.
Mircea Nistor
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've seen the book on a recommendation list. It's extremely dense. Each chapter deserves additional study and looking into references.
For someone in a high performing software shop it might not bring a lot of new ideas but for me it was extremely useful.
Nathan Hylan
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a comprehensive review of modern Mgmt. And software development practices. Ignore at your peril.
Allan Benson
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worth a read, every runner of major enterprise should read and understand how they can and who led approach innovation. Should be read with Brauffman’s work.
Ivan Zarea
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was dense. And very, very good.
Alain van Hoof
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you work in an Enterprise and are now doing Agile/Scrum/DevOps because the organisation told you so, you should and must read this book.
John Wargo
Jan 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
disorganized, scattered, not quite sure what I learned. Lots and lots of references to other books.
Mindaugas Mozūras
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it.
Damien
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Should be a compulsory read for everyone working on, supporting or managing a team or teams.
In some parts of the book, there are more highlighted parts than not. Must reread.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update cover of my book to final published one 6 33 Dec 30, 2014 02:58PM

• Lean from the Trenches
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • The Art Of Business Value
  • Agile IT Organization Design: For Digital Transformation and Continuous Delivery
  • The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
  • Value Stream Mapping: How to Visualize Work Flow and Align People for Organizational Transformation: Using Lean Business Practices to Transform Office and Service Environments
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • The Leprechauns of Software Engineering
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Visible Ops Handbook: Starting ITIL in 4 Practical Steps
  • Team Geek: A Software Developer's Guide to Working Well with Others
  • Training from the Back of the Room!: 65 Ways to Step Aside and Let Them Learn
  • Agile Estimating and Planning

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Instead of creating controls to compensate for pathological cultures, the solution is to create a culture in which people take responsibility for the consequences of their actions” 3 likes
“The long-term value of an enterprise is not captured by the value of its products and intellectual property but rather by its ability to continuously increase the value it provides to customers — and to create new customers — through innovation.” 3 likes