Start by marking “Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale” as Want to Read:
Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale

Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale

How well does your organization respond to changing market conditions, customer needs, and emerging technologies when building software-based products? This practical guide presents Lean and Agile principles and patterns to help you move fast at scale—and demonstrates why and how to apply these methodologies throughout your organization, rather than with just one departmen ...more
Published December 4th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lean Enterprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Enterprise

Start your review of Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale
Sergey Shishkin
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book should be a required read for every software engineering university program as well as MBAs. Seriously, it's the most comprehensive coverage of modern management and product development principles and practices I've came across. It presents radical but proven ideas in a respectful and non-dogmatic way, backed up with case studies of the most successful companies across industries. Extra points for covering NUMMI – the ultimate case study of lean thinking.
Sebastian Gebski
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T book.

In theory, it shouldn't be any kind of surprise, because it's Jez Humble's book - and he's the man who gave famous "Continuous Delivery" to the world. But I was skeptical: first, because I've read quite a few "Lean" books recently and none of them (except Poppendiecks, of course) was really useful; second, because I didn't like some of Jez'es opinions expressed on the web recently. I wouldn't risk a statement that I disagree with them completely, but I had a feeling that h
Giovani Facchini
This book brings a very challenging view to those who may be only used to waterfall processes, huge (big-bang) projects and quality gates, hence I recommend the reading for those that did not have an exposure to Agile and would like to challenge some of their believes.

One of the ideas I really like is the concepts of "Horizons" for product development and how to use the discovery for it through MVP's that are build fast and cheap to validate ideas by customer experimentation and measurement. Fur
Arturas
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read book for anyone in software development leadership role, especially VP of Engineering and Product Management.

Book is packed with a lot of information, practical advice and my favorite case studies that connect everything to reality.

This book covers product development, organizational culture, hiring and developing talent, prioritisation and a lot more.
Oksana Hoshva
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it

The book relatively short, concise and practical as the authors intended it to be. It clearly explains how the disciplines of Lean, Agile, Kata, Lean Startup, and Design Thinking are converging through the unifying principles of an adaptive learning organisation. The authors we show how to grow organisations which can innovate rapidly in response to changing market conditions, customer needs, and emerging technologies.

Part I of the book introduces the main themes of the book: culture, strategy,
Mike Bowler
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile-lean
If you only read one book about improving your organization this year, make it this one. The authors bring together a large number of individual topics into one coherent story and sprinkle that with a collection of fascinating case studies.

I was already familiar with most of the individual topics that are covered in this book and yet I ended up highlighting more sections in this book than I think I've ever done in any other book. I can't recommend this highly enough.
Marrije
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Ace. Will be re-reading, pondering and quoting this book a lot, I think.
Ahmad hosseini
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Innovation in large, bureaucratic organizations is challenging because they are inherently designed to support stability, compliance, and precedence over risk taking. But today, innovation is a must-have in all areas, so big companies also need ways to take advantage of innovation.
This book provides a pragmatic toolkit of strategies and practices for establishing high performing organizations and inject innovation into large companies. For this purpose book explains how to apply lean practice a
Patrick
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I'm friends with some of the authors.

This book was an absolutely exceptional summation of the latest in business organization and operations for the digital age. Incorporating much of the latest thinking on business agility, the authors use sources such as Daniel H Pink, Eric Ries, John Kotter, and Mike Rother (amongst many others) to describe the attitudes, values, and culture necessary for your organization to adapt quickly in the modern business environment. The first two thirds o
Tomáš
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. It shows lean principles in the context of enterprise environment. For me, the biggest eye opener was the distinction between exploration (doing something new, with high risk of wasting an investment) and exploitation (modifying something already working with risk of loosing current profit). There are principles and strategies, which has to be applied differently to both aproaches, but they can still follow the lean ideas (focus on delivering value, reduce waste,...). ...more
Julian Dunn
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the bible for anyone seeking to transform their organization along modern principles of service and product delivery. It is heavily IT focussed, but this is where we can expect to see much of the value driven out of corporations in the future -- through software products. Therefore it is critical to involve many other areas of a company not traditionally associated with technology projects like finance, audit and compliance, security to get them working in a lean manner compatible w ...more
Charles Baker
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. It should be required reading for everyone working in a large enterprise at any level. Some of it is very specific to the executive level and finance people but it is well worth understanding those concerns even if you are a front line worker. Lean and Kaizen work! I might write more about it later.
Kevin McDonagh
A whistle stop tour through lean practices at scale. Although I appreciate their having been documented it felt a little as if this were a dictionary and to obtain real value I still need to get to the source. It's been good as a jump-off point for more reading.
Maik Broxterman
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Lean Enterprise never really got to the point where it sticks with me.

It rather looks like a collection of observations and opinions than something actionable or scientifc. E.g. the section about financial management; it describes disassociating funding from a fiscal cycle, but it never gets a clear empirical or statistical background. Mostly hypothesis and ideas/ways of thinking that are not really fleshed out.

It's lacking a lot of essential information. How do you monitor, what are the ways y
Jordan Munn
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book that thoroughly but easily explores Lean as a strategic approach, not just a tactical one. Beyond all the good ideas presented and points made, I really, really appreciated 2 things about the book:
1. The book is always very mindful to remind WHY it's making the points it is. It continually orients the reader to where they are in the workflow, what they're trying to get out of a particular step, and therefore why they're doing the thing they're doing (and how).
2. It marries both
Georgiy Ivankin
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever. Structurally, stylistically and content-wise it is very, very well done. A lot of inspiration and learning (and sometimes frustration while you're learning how things might be and compare to how things are). Would recommend to anyone, including "individual contributors", working in IT, not necessarily enterprises. Not a very easy read as the language is quite academic.
Claudio Cesar Sanches
More technical than most of the books regarding Lean Enterprise

It is a very goof guide for implementing change in an IT organization towards a Lean Enterprise. Give some interesting example of companies that made this change. It’s a good complement to the book Inspired by Martin Cagan and the Eric Ries’ books.
Denis Romanovsky
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are books on specific topics and there are integration books. This book is good at integrating different ideas around lean thinking, design thinking, agile and other. Though, the ideas are clear and explanations are simple, still the book does not tell enough details on implementation. You have to go to many other books for more details. Anyway, it was a very good reading!
Drewes
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you know your basics of Lean and Agile than the discussed is quite easy to grasp and it does hold several nuggets that might benefit you. A great read which is easy to comprehend. Near the end (when discussing the management role) Jez seems to be contradicting himself. Too bad this was the section I was most interested in...
Dariusz Biskup
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me several months to swallow this book but it was worth the effort. What I liked the most is that it teaches how to introduce Lean to larger organizations from several perspectives (not only software eng./IT) like product, finance, governance, IT Ops etc. Additionally it inspired me to read several other books related to various topics that were referenced in the book.
Andy Nortrup
Soooo much useful information

I've managed to see most of the antipatterns this book advocates against. I now feel like I have a guide to better strategies to deploy next time I see them and have a chance to influence the direction of product and organizational patterns.

I cannot think of a book that I have taken more highlights out of.
John Madsen
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book, which gives insights on how to scale innovations. It showcases a lot of examples on what the best in class do to change their organisation within. The book earns its rights as a being a great reference book written in plain English.
Mircea Nistor
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've seen the book on a recommendation list. It's extremely dense. Each chapter deserves additional study and looking into references.
For someone in a high performing software shop it might not bring a lot of new ideas but for me it was extremely useful.
Christopher J Sorenson
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book did a good job articulating a path forward without being too formulaic or prescriptive. It challenged a few of my assumptions, and made it clear just how hard it will be to make changes in a large culture.
Alex
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply awesome

I’d recommend this book to every leader in the area of software product development. It gives extensive overview and recommendations on how to help your organization to win.
Ralph Depping
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: next-to-read
A goldmine of lean thinking applied in the enterprise context. Sound principles expounded in each chapter. Keeping lean and small for as long as possible to allow experimentation and change being a key takeaway.
Vlad Romanenko
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech, leadership
The book is not the easiest to read. It has a lot of useful material covering a wide range of topics. Everyone will find useful material for them regardless of their role. However being this wide also makes it harder to read as you find some material less relevant.
Keith Hoodlet
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for individuals looking to transform their outdated monolithic information technology organizations (read: cost centers) into innovative, experimental teams that constantly evolve and generate value for the business (read: differentiators).
Nathan Hylan
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a comprehensive review of modern Mgmt. And software development practices. Ignore at your peril.
Mindaugas Mozūras
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update cover of my book to final published one 6 33 Dec 30, 2014 02:58PM

• Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • The Startup Way: Making Entrepreneurship a Fundamental Discipline of Every Enterprise
  • The Leader's Guide
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • A Seat at the Table
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Lean Customer Development: Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...
“Instead of creating controls to compensate for pathological cultures, the solution is to create a culture in which people take responsibility for the consequences of their actions” 3 likes
“The long-term value of an enterprise is not captured by the value of its products and intellectual property but rather by its ability to continuously increase the value it provides to customers — and to create new customers — through innovation.” 3 likes