Start by marking “100 Amazing Facts About the Negro” as Want to Read:
100 Amazing Facts About the Negro

100 Amazing Facts About the Negro

From one of our premier writers, scholars, and public intellectuals: a surprising, inspiring, often boldly infuriating, highly instructive and entertaining compendium of curiosities regarding African Americans.

In 1934, 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro With Complete Proof: A Short Cut to the World History of the Negro was published by Joel A. Rogers, a largely self-educ
Published October 24th 2017 by Pantheon (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro

Erin
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A celebration of Black Excellence.

Not just American Black Excellence but Black Excellence the whole world over.

Henry Louis Gates Jr. updates and expands upon the original book 100 Amazing Facts About The Negro with Complete Proof which was first published in 1957 by Joel Augustus Rogers. Giving us a factual and fun romp through the history of Black Excellence.

The excellence that the black race embodies isn't magic. Its hard work mixed with integrity and a firm will to persevere.

Highly Recomm
Lauren Cecile
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating!! Did anyone know there was a black man on the Titanic?!
Faith
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a revisiting and expansion of a book by the journalist and historian of black history, Joel A. Rogers. It is written in a question and answer format so you can't use it to search for a topic in any organized way, and the answers are necessarily brief. However, there are extensive footnotes and many of the answers are interesting enough to warrant deeper exploration. The questions aren't arranged in any particular order. Some examples are: "Who buried the dead from the battle of Gett ...more
OutlawPoet
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw the title of this book, I was more than slightly horrified. ‘Negro’? Who says that anymore???

You see, I was unfamiliar with the 1934 book by Joel Rogers - and this book is an updated, sharp, and timely homage to that original book. (By the way, I now want to read the original as well.)

In our updated 100 Amazing Facts About The Negro, by Henry Louis Gates, Jr., the author brings us 100 fascinating tidbits about blacks and their history in our modern world. Notice I said blacks -
Pop Bop
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Gates Does Rogers Proud

Joel Rogers' 1934 book, "100 Amazing Facts About the Negro With Complete Proof...", was, as you might expect, a wildly idiosyncratic work. Henry Gates has taken the Rogers framework, has updated the "facts", and has added his own engaging, personal stamp to the project.

There is indeed much here to entertain, inform, inspire, and prompt further thought and reading. The tone is conversational rather than academic, and while the book is founded upon deep scholarship it has a
Geoffrey
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
(Note - I received this as an advanced copy courtesy of NetGalley)

Walking in the footsteps of Joel Roger and his 1934 work “100 Amazing Facts About the Negro With Complete Proof: A Short Cut to the World History of the Negro,” Gates, to put it simply, has crafted an absolutely fantastic work. Loaded from beginning to an end with a dizzying abundance of facts, stories, corrections of the historical record, and statistics that span time from the Roman Empire up to the Modern Era, there are probab
Leanetta Scott
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very good book and would be great for a history teacher and/or homeschoolers. I liked learning and exploring the facts and information on the history African Americans. I love the book and will definitely be implementing it into my homeschool history lectures this year. If you're into history and facts of African Americans then this your book.
reneeNaDaBomb
Close to 500 pages of powerful information regarding the Afro American race and the contributions made to this country. I learned a lot over a few days of reading this book. Being presented by the distinguished and brilliant Henry Louis Gates Jr., no less, was an absolute thrill.
Christopher Lawson
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Good Reason for the “Edgy” Title

I think most readers will see this title and ask, “What’s with that title?” Well, I did. The title seems very controversial; why in the world did the author pick that title?

The first thing to know about 100 AMAZING FACTS ABOUT THE NEGRO, is that the title was not picked to be some edgy title. It’s not that at all; author Henry Louis Gates is simply updating the classic 1934 book with the same name.

The original book was titled, “100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
Doris Smith
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a kind of book that I like to read before bed. There is no plot other than the articles about amazing black people and events. You can read a few at a time or you can read several. Each holding your attention. Henry Louis Gates, Jr must have a hard time choosing the content of this book. What to include, what not to include, or what could be in a second book.

Not only is the content interesting but the book itself is a work of art. It's shiny pages, it's wonderful paper, and the photos ma
Bill
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent compendium of stories that all Americans should have grown up knowing.
Stories known but left unwoven into the common fabric of history.
It falls down in readability but then, that wasn’t the point of this work.
Ethan
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry Louis Gates Jr. & team's update and revision to the compendium of Joel Rogers' columns in the Pittsburgh Courier.

The original intention was to provide historical information about the past accomplishments and achievements of black people throughout time. The book provides 100 different stories, many of which feature slavery and its condition, but many others about various historical figures who were of African descent and other important exploits by Africans and African-Americans.

A wor
Nann
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
In 1957 "100 Amazing Facts About the Negro With Complete Proof" was considered a black version of Ripley's Believe It or Not. It was written by a black newspaperman named Joel A. Rogers. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., chose a similar title (deliberately retaining "Negro") for an updated and revised version. It can be read from 1 to 100 or it can be dipped into -- the 3- to 5-page entries are randomly arranged (not chronological and not alphabetical). There's lots to learn, from "How did black soldiers ...more
Kristine
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
100 Amazing Facts About the Negro by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early October.

First off, I adore and respect Henry Louis Gates, Jr. as an academic and for his involvement in Finding Your Roots and this is his take on Joel A. Rogers' book from 1957 by the same name with different facts. There are literally 100 Q&A-style facts about black people; no more than 2 pages each. The facts take place worldwide and are from all parts of history. They usually relate
Parker
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw the title, I was taken aback. I mean, that term hasn't been used since the early 60s. However, seeing Henry Louis Gates' name comforted me, since I have read his other works and trust him very much.

This is an update of a book written in the 1950s, and it is a gem. 100 nuggets of information, written in bite-sized nuggets. I am a living historian who specialises in Black history, and I feel like I know quite a lot about the history, but I've learned things I didn't know.

I highly
moonfreckle
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-people
100 Amazing Facts About the Negro is a package full of revelations and pride for black people. Especially in this month of black history, in which media tends to not let us forget about Martin Luther King, Jr., and slavery, it's more than a breath of fresh air to be met with anecdotes about what black people have done and experienced outside of the realm of chains and horror.

This book seeks to flesh out the black identity, and to bring color to the black experience in a variety of ways. There a
Stven
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
The title of this book does not really describe the contents. Yes, I get it that "Amazing Facts About the Negro" was in the mid 20th century a sort of answer to "Ripley's Believe It Or Not." So it's a cute choice, a choice with a motivation, but I still don't think it's a good choice.

The fact that this is printed on heavy glossy paper makes it feel like it's intended as a schoolbook, and I think that's really the best use for it. It's really "100 Little Essays," and I could picture reading and d
Ryan Fohl
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow so much good information. And probably the most beautiful book on my shelf. As much a history of black historians as a book of black history. Feels like a collaborative effort. And much better than any other history of whatever in 100 whatever books I’ve read.
Focuses on the less well know history, and can be read in any order. Some of the chapter titles are goofy and some sections read as a list of names. Led me to many other books I want to read.

Things I learned: More Free blacks in the an
Don Heiman
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The 2017 book "100 Amazing Facts About the Negro" was written by Henry Louis Gates Jr and his support team based (in part) on columns he and his team researched and presented online. Gates' undergraduate degree is from Yale and his doctorate is from Columbia University. He hosts a PBS series about discovering our ancestry roots and he is currently a professor and research director at Harvard. The Amazing Fact book is well referenced, and inspirational. I learned so much from him about my world a ...more
Melissa
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was vastly interesting, though scattered. The facts jumped about in time and geography. I don't know if I would have organized them differently, but this is not a book for those who like things "in order." This is HUMAN history and as I seek to expand my knowledge across all self-imposed and societal borders through reading, this was a good pick.
TRISHA
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd give it 4.5 stars, but alas is would not. Good knowledge in this book, but the title is not something I was comfortable displaying. I changed it to Africans. I did feel like the author only intended this book to be read by black people only, but I listened to it anyways! Yeah Intellectual Freedom!
Austin Gilbert
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just a superb book from start to finish. Gates provides an update (I didn't know we needed) to a classic book (I didn't know existed), and it's a remarkable job. It's entertaining, it's informative, it flows better than any collection of facts I've seen, and it's an outstanding work of black history. Can't recommend enough.
Monique
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100 Amazing Facts About the Negro is Gates loving tribute to work published by Joel A. Rogers. There are fascinating stories about people that I've never heard of before reading this book. Why did I not know there were Blacks on the Titanic, details about the underground railroad, and numerous others...Black saints, poets, and politicians. Must have for every household.
Heather Jones
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This was a great book! This collection of short essays about black history was endlessly fascinating. High-school teacher colleagues, this might work really well in social studies or English classes, either as a whole or excerpted.
Blaine Morrow
Gates provides an improvement upon the original 1957 work by Joel Rogers, dredging up facts and historical evidence for diverse African Americans and other people of color. I'm not sure "amazing" fits all of these stories, but they are interesting and the narrative is engaging.
Beth
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I read this updated and edited version [2017] of the book by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. who corrected the exaggerations of the original book and keep true to the historical glimpse it was supposed to provide the reader. Found it thoroughly interesting.
Janet E. Rash
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100 Facts

This book is amazing and should be in the library of anyone interested in American history and/or race relations in America. This book would be a useful item in any classroom. Highly recommended.
Valerie
Reviewed for ALA's "Booklist" Magazine -- appears in the August 2017 issue. If you have a subscription, you can read my STARRED REVIEW at BooklistOnline.com at:
Lisa Ross
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read almost all of it and felt like I learned many things. It's not a book just to sit down and read like a novel. It takes time to process and give thought to what was just read.
Nicholas Bobbitt
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I learned a lot of new facts from this book, but its style wasn't all that great. Gates is apparently good at writing lists of facts, but he's not entirely enjoyable to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Orrin Porter Rockwell: Man of God Son of Thunder
  • The Washingtons: George and Martha, "Join'd by Friendship, Crown'd by Love"
  • Lighting the Fires of Freedom: African American Women in the Civil Rights Movement
  • War Animals: The Unsung Heroes of World War II
  • Parley P. Pratt: The Apostle Paul of Mormonism
  • Heaven's Gate: America's UFO Religion
  • Religion of a Different Color: Race and the Mormon Struggle for Whiteness
  • He Calls Me By Lightning: The Life of Caliph Washington and the Forgotten Saga of Jim Crow, Southern Justice, and the Death Penalty
  • Another America: The Story of Liberia and the Former Slaves Who Ruled It
  • Infinite Riches
  • First Class: The Legacy of Dunbar, America's First Black Public High School
  • In My Father's House: Africa in the Philosophy of Culture
  • How Wars End: Why We Always Fight the Last Battle
Henry Louis Gates Jr. is a Professor of African and African-American Studies at Harvard University and Director of the W. E. B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research. He is well-known as a literary critic, an editor of literature, and a proponent of black literature and black cultural studies.