Start by marking “Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)” as Want to Read:
Iceberg

Clive Cussler

Iceberg

(Dirk Pitt #3)

Frozen inside a million-ton mass of ice-the charred remains of a long missing luxury yacht, vanished en route to a secret White House rendezvous.  The only clue to the ship's priceless-and missing-cargo: nine ornately carved rings and the horribly burned bodies of its crew.
Published (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Iceberg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iceberg

Josh
May 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: booksread
That Clive Cussler is the greatest homophobic, perverse, women loathing writer of our time
Graham
Sep 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dirk pitt books are my guilty pleasure; terribly written, totally unbelievable, but non-stop action. This however pushes me over the edge. A totally nonsense, aimless story, even for me the blatant sexism and homophobia (dirk pitt spends half the book pretending to be gay by mincing around in Danny la rue outfits) is a bridge too far. My guilty pleasure may be at an end after at least 10 books. Sad.
Matt
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A missing luxury yacht is found encased in an iceberg by a Coast Guard air patrol, but within a week of the discovery that bizarre sight won’t be the only thing that isn’t what it seems. Iceberg is the second published book of Clive Cussler’s series featuring Dirk Pitt, taking the U.S.A.F Major to the north Atlantic and Iceland then to Disneyland.

Taken away from his California vacation and dispatched by NUMA Director Admiral Sandecker to the titular iceberg in the North Atlantic, Dirk Pitt takes
Mackenzie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Song for summary: Centuries by Fall Out Boy

This was an action packed read! The characters are determined, intelligent, and sedulous; while the plot is an entertaining combination of action, corruption, and science. This was another great Dirk Pitt adventure, one that is sure to satisfy fans.
Bob Milne
With my reading habits thrown off by a broken e-reader, I've been forced to delve into the towering stacks of paperbacks that clutter my shelves. It's not nearly as convenient, and has certainly put me a bit behind with those titles I've been sent for review, but it's kind of nice to catch up on some of my pleasure reading. That's not to say the arrival of a replacement e-reader wouldn't be a HUGE relief, but I'm coping.

Plucked from the dusty depths this weekend was Iceberg, a very early Dirk Pi
Anna
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, bookcrossing
So far I have not found even one Cussler book I haven't liked.
Just perfect for any grown up fan of the Hardy Boys, with a hero that's a hint of James Bond (action, adventure, exotic locations, good food and drinks and women) and with a lot of science all over. While this book isn't my most favorite of the series, it was still fun.

This one was first published in 1975. Everyone not having a mobile phone around them all the time is one thing that was different, and another - that seems to generate
Daniel
Apr 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Easily the worst Cussler novel. Homophobic, misogynistic, and just plain awful. Reading this came as a shock after having read so many of his later books. I'd really recommend giving this a pass. It's just not worth suffering through.
Eli Hornyak
Another good Dirk Pitt book. Got to love the dated stereotypes of the 70's, but it was what it was.
Michael
There are some books you read for their great literary merits. And then there are some you read just to have a good time and not think too much about them.

So far, it appears Clive Cussler novels fit into the latter category.

Iceberg appears to be no exception.

Dirk Pitt is back, this time racing against time to find a ship frozen inside an iceberg. Before you know it, there's a far reaching conspiracy and Pitt is firmly at the center of unraveling it.

I've heard the first two Pitt books are to t
Ashley Arthur
Cussler’s books in the Dirk Pitt series tend to be either a hit or a miss with me. This is the second book in the series, and it wasn’t my favorite, but I enjoyed it. The pace is quick, with lots of chase scenes and close encounters. Many reviewers will complain that the plot is not believable. I would remind them that, in the same way that you don’t watch a James Bond movie to see something realistic, you don’t pick up a Dirk Pitt book expecting a predictable storyline. You have to suspend disb ...more
Carl
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been a huge fan of Clive Cussler for years. I probably started reading him in the early 90's and kept going up until he franchised his name and stopped doing the writing. I thought I'd go back and re-read Iceberg, as I love the Dirk Pitt series and I hadn't read the early ones in ages. I was stunned at how poorly the book holds up. It's early in the Pitt series so I knew that Pitt would be a little rougher and the other characters not as developed as I was used to, but I was surprised at th ...more
Mark Harrison
Mysterious ship locked within an iceberg and Dirk Pitt is off to Iceland tracking down tyrannical killers plotting a major coup. Lots of very good action and a great fight at the end in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride with our hero dressed as the Big Bad Wolf. Big improvement on previous books but the depiction of women characters is dreadful - still getting there bums slapped and being told to stop crying all the time. He does not write women like that in the Isaac Bell series and it takes aw ...more
James Hayward
Really enjoyed reading this. I like the character Dirk Pitt tough cookie and a bit of a womanizer . This book has a very interesting and surprising twist with one of the characters at the end of the book in the epilogue . Got to check see if the next book in the series is available from the library.
Laura Ruetz
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller with a lot of action. Keeps you guessing and Dirk is certainly an engaging and intriguing character. From the settings to the characters, this was a fast moving book that really held my interest.
John Shumway
This is the same comment for all the Dirk Pitt books:
Great set of books, I had to stagger these books into my reading rotation since they are so similar.
Dirk Series Book in less then 50 words.
(introduction to bad guy, introduction to hot chick, introduction to Dirk, Dirk gets in impossible dangerous situations to stop the bad guy, Dirk wins, Dirk gets the hot chick.)
Greg Strandberg
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great Cussler novel. This is probably the first where you really start to see some of the outrageous plots start. The whole series is great and I personally think you can't go wrong with a good Dirk Pitt novel.
Mike Crate
Iceberg is perhaps the first of the Dirk Pitt novels that feels like it's built on a solid foundation, that's not to say the first two are weak but they feel in comparison less complex and structured. Iceberg once again provides the reader with an adventure undertaken by Dirk Pitt, this time pulled off a beach to ferry a NUMA scientist to investigate a mysterious ship locked within an iceberg. It turns out that NUMA are just one organisation trying to obtain a revolutionary mineral probe designe ...more
Drake Shafer
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sb-read
Christina
A fun read! A great quick action tale. Easy to like the main character and all of his friends. The writing was clear and easy to follow. I enjoyed my first Dirk Pitt novel, but I don't need to rush out for the next one.
3omar
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main characters in the story are Dirk Pitt and he’s the hero. Dr Bill Hunwell helps Pitt in he’s mission. Admiral James Sandecker and has the one that assigns Pitt to this mission.Krisiti Fyre sister of the guy they were looking for but in the end she holds a big secret.
The story starts out when a coast guard finds a ship stuck inside an iceberg so they report it back to base and they mark it by red dye. Admiral Sandecker gives Pitt and dr Hunnwell the job to research the ship. On the way th
Kevin
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoy the Dirk Pitt novels. In my opinion, they're better then James Bond! As always, this didn't fail to keep me entertained. But, there was an absence without having Al and Rudy in this novel with Pitt. I look forward to more adventures with Pitt and his crew. I understand that people's view on this specific novel about it being homophobic, sexist and all that. But, that was how it was when it was written, that was their generation. No different then today's world of the "Me Too" movem ...more
Doughgirl5562
Feb 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homophobic
I'm very torn about Clive Cussler and his books. When I started listening to audios about ten years ago, I started with Cussler's more recent adventure novels and loved them. His hero, Dirk Pitt, is pretty macho, but in a charming way. And Cussler writes great stories with a sense of history and fantasy. My favorite has been Saraha, with its tie-in to the Civil War. I also thoroughly enjoyed The Sea Hunters, which is the non-fiction book he wrote about his "hobby" of hunting for old shipwrecks. ...more
Debra Johnson
Iceberg by Clive Cussler

Genres; Action/Adventure, Crime, Mystery, Suspense

4 Stars

This is kind of fun, going down memory lane.
This is the exact paperback that I read back in my youth. I don't remember what I paid for it.
Hmmm, come to think about it, I think I stole it from my future ex-husband who was in the navy at that time.
Anyway, this was one of my favorites even though I remember some of the 'scientific' conversations tended to confuse me. Mostly I skimmed over those parts.
Amanda
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot of this thriller was good, I was engaged and curious to find out what happened. It was a nice blend of action and mystery. The downfall of this book was the way Cussler depicted woman. I am not sure if this was intentional or not, but the woman in his book were appalling. They are weak, unintelligent, and all around pathetic. The way the men treated the woman in the book was also appalling, there was no respect. Dirk himself is a misogynist but I can write that off as part of his charac ...more
Jo
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although Mr. Cussler's writing has gotten better in each book, ICEBURG is my favorite. When it first came out, I was in my late teens and had just been to Disneyland's Pirates of the Carribean ride, so I guess that is what made me identify with the book first, but I also love the ending where Pitt exacts revenge (or Justice?) on Rondheim for all of the people he hurt or killed. I know it's not necessarily the right thing to have done, but I as the reader wanted Pitt to do it, and he did!

I have r
Ken
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's important to remember that this book was written in the 70's and was the second Dirk Pitt novel to be published, so the attitudes are slightly jarring to a modern audience and the series is still in its infancy.

That aside, I found this to be a entertaining read.
Elizabeth
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clive-cussler
I never get tired of reading books by Clive Cuddler, no matter how long it's been since I've read it,
Peter Charleston
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Dirk Pitt does a fine job as he stumbles through numerous near death adventures. An enjoyable read.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
My Sixth outing with Dirk Pitt adventures

United States Coast Guard plane on a routine survey mission for icebergs notices an abnormal iceberg with a ship imbedded. They mark the iceberg with a red dye. NUMA sends Dirk Pitt and Dr.Hunnewell to survey. They find out that the ship inside the iceberg is the lost ship, Lax owned by Fyrie.
Admiral Sandecker reveals that Kristjan Fyrie's scientist have successfully designed and constructed a nuclear undersea probe that could identify fifteen to twent
Casey Carlisle
I've been a fan of Cussler since my teen years, but this singular novel really tested my nerve. I can forgive a little machismo - it's to be expected in this genre and series, but when Cussler has Dirk Pitt playing a stereotype of a gay man - even so far as to use the word faggot a number of times, I wanted to set the book on fire. It was in such poor taste to read these hate-filled slurs. It highlights all the issues of discrimination that the LGBTQIA+ community face.

Cussler used about every n
Goodreads Librari...: New Cover 3 26 Jun 10, 2014 04:44AM
Hitler's frozen sperm? 6 46 Jan 29, 2013 01:11PM

• Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • The New Breed (Brotherhood of War, #7)
  • The Golden Rendezvous
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
  • Temple of the Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
“Take away the clothes of the greatest living man, his father once told him, and you behold a very embarrassed, naked and defenseless animal.” 4 likes
“Iceland, the land of frost and fire, rugged glaciers and smoldering volcanoes,” 1 likes