Start by marking “Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership” as Want to Read:
Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership

Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership

The basics of being a ScrumMaster are fairly straightforward: Facilitate the Scrum process and remove impediments. But being a great ScrumMaster, one who truly embodies the principles of servant-leadership and helps move a team to the high performance levels possible with Scrum, is much harder and much more elusive. In his over ten years of coaching numerous Scrum teams, t ...more
Published May 30th 2013 by Inspect & Adapt Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Scrum Mastery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scrum Mastery

Forest Tong
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although this book has some suggestions that I consider to be silly and distracting--like adding a game to the daily scrum updates--it is on the whole a terrific book full of practical, inspiring, and extremely challenging ideas. For example:

> A good ScrumMaster will say what needs to be said. A great ScrumMaster knows the power of silence.

My only other objection would be that the information is a mishmash of random thoughts that are forced into the acronym RETRAINED instead of coherently org
Maria
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: agile, in-2017
This book has excellent highlights on what it takes to be a great Scrum Master and I was happy to find a lot of them matched my own observations of what makes SMs effective. Perhaps because I was already familiar with many of the points raised, I found the book somewhat lacking in practical advice.
Despite my somewhat average rating, the book is a good read and I think many will find it useful to discover and start thinking about some of the more subtle aspects of the SM role.
Peter Gfader
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every leader of some sort. The title has Scrum in it, but it is really about building great teams and changing the organisational context.

What makes the book a 10/10 stars you ask?
* Lots of experience reports as stories from real team situations
* Lots of tips what to try
* Lots of things what hinder team collaboration and growing
* The "Good to Great" motto is awesome!
* Easy to read and very short breathed
* Shows beyond the basics of facilitation and teaching the process to teams
Piotr Gregorczyk
Foreword cause me to think, there would be some great advice for scrum teams and entirely new topics. In fact, only few things where new and even then, they were explained with long stories and without deep dive into the subject.
Content is really basic. It covers some people managing technics without any new knowledge in that area. It's just scrum perspective on those tools.
For plus are chapters about planning and tracking progress and using visuals. I also liked summaries and quotes before and
Łukasz Woliński
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
The book consists of real life stories and use cases for the daily use of scrum. I found many of them useful and practical. There are lots of ideas on how to handle difficult situations. The implementation of those ideas is fairly easy and straightforward. Although some of the stories were slightly boring I would recommend this book for begginers, who would like to dive deeper into the world of scrum master's responsibilities.
Mya
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Great little book. Short, easy to read chapters with some great real-life examples and ideas. Besides some tips and tricks, I also found it useful to evaluate myself against each of the characteristics described. This has helped identify areas I'm doing well at as well as those I either need more practice at or have not even been aware of!
Gerard Chiva
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great advice for Scrum Masters, written in a friendly way, with lots of practical tips and real stories. Must read for any good Scrum Master that wants to become a great Scrum Master ;-)
Richard
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are some really interesting stories in this book but each chapter starts with a great two line summary which really do sum up a huge amount.

A good ScrumMaster grasps the responsibilities of the role. A great ScrumMaster grasps the skills and mindset of the role.
A good ScrumMaster will be indispensable to a team. A great ScrumMaster will become both dispensable and wanted.
A good ScrumMaster helps a Scrum team survive in an organisation's culture. A great ScrumMaster helps change the culture
Sicofonia
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
While I liked the book, I don't think its content is revolutionary in any way. To my taste, it focuses too much on the soft-skills needed for what Geoff Watts calls great scrum masters. You will find some tips on how to coach the team in certain aspects such as active listening or conflict management for example.
Before I read the book I knew I needed to work on my facilitation, coaching, mentoring, self-reflection or teaching skills. But that's what this book has to offer, areas for people to de
Jordi Manrique
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it
At the beginning, it seems that the book explains obvious thoughts or facts, but while you're reading it, these concepts hook you. I recommend to write down some notes because it's full of tips or new ideas you may apply in some moments. In fact, I've started to do a couple of tips during the retrospectives and the daily meetings.

However, you need to be open-minded to get all the concepts and think about all the things you're doing. Sometimes you're doing something unintentionally and it might b
Lukasz Nalepa
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-work
This book was on my to-read list for a few years. Since I've drifted a bit from the Scrum Master role in my professional career a few years ago, I didn't had the urge to read it right away... Few weeks ago I finally started reading and yeah. This is great book exactly as I suspected. A must read for all Scrum Masters, no matter how experienced, and a must read for anyone who seeks to understand that role. After gifing it some though I also strongly encourage every people manager that have anythi ...more
Mike Gunderloy
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one has me thinking, which is an excellent recommendation. The author applies experience as a scrum master to identifying behaviors that move scrum masters from "good" to "great." When I look around my own company, I don't see a lot of these great behaviors - but I think that's due to lack or organizational support. So then the question is: what can the organization in general, and I in particular, do to help remedy that?
Jon Bristow
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breezy but practical

This book has a lot of good ideas and examples to run by you. I think that the only area for improvement might be to have even more examples and war stories. (But that might dilute the impact of the advice a little. There's a lot of suggested additional reading too, which serves some of this purpose.)
Marco
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice book on Scrum!
Mr. Watts gives a lot of examples of how to implement Scrum in a proper way and provides a guide to ScrumMastery. There are a couple of useful tips and tricks (and resources) in this book.
The book is inspiring.
Thank you mr. Watts! ;)
Quentin Jackson
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading for new or mature scrum master

This book is amazing. Tips and tricks, context and clarity. All in one book. The most comprehensive and concise resource I’ve found.
Vlad
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Clear and well written. I appreciated the emphasis on servant leadership and coaching a team into self-managing autonomy.
Mickey Kawick
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Learned a few tidbits and the author really makes the process clear along with the differences between Kanban, Waterfall, and Scrum.

Great book for a non-beginner
Jalalsad
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It mostly describes obvios things .I haven’t found any new or brilliant idea in this book .if your work fos 2 or 3 years in scrum team most of the books ideas are obvios for you.
Bryan N Edgerton
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent tips on becoming a great Scrum Master. Written with a ton of wisdom and experience. Readers will find themselves highlighting a lot of this book.
Melanie Maier
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book, and I took my time to read it as well as to reflect the chapters. What I specially appreciate, are the numerous of examples.
Audrey
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book for who wants to become a great scrum master. Insightful, full of tips and tricks to evolve in this role.
Christophe Addinquy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: agile
That's a fact: there is now a bunch of books on Scrum. In every one of thems, it's told that the Scrum Master have a role to play to help the team embrace Scrum. But how can he do that. What is expected from him on a day to day basis ? Every one of them fail here. Except this one. It's because, for one part, the book is exclusively focused on the missions and postures of the Scrum Master, not Scrum itself. On the other part, the author did a damn good job to embrace the Scrum Master posture and ...more
Jose Lobato
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: processes
After working for five years in a scrum development team, the book did not show me anything new, but I picked up some ideas for future works on Scrum, and that is always good. It is well structured and read. I enjoyed it very much.

The second read was even better than the first. I did learn even more and I have decided that I'll read it again next year. This book is full of wisdom and details that are needed whenever you need to apply it to a real scenario. It is, no doubt, a recommended read to
jordan emmert
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strong recommendations to compliment your instincts

Watts is able to lay out a common set of scenarios that every scrum master will face and he gives an imaginative set of options for dealing with them , even if you don't agree with the fit of his methods within your corporate culture the ideas laid out here provide much inspiration . A useful book for any aspiring or veteran scrum practitioner
Diego
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book immediately sets you in the right mindset to become a true servant leader.
All concepts are described with very relevant stories to enhance your learning and develop your storytelling skills
Michael
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A must-read for everybody who wants to get suggestions on improving 'scrummastering'. Definitely a very inspiring book. Some of the points in the book might be controversial but they trigger a retrospective on one's behaviour. At least it did that for me.
Steve Fenton
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone working with Scrum - and its relevance extends beyond Scrum to the wide spectrum of agile and lean methods. This is the best guide for understanding the elusive "servant master" role needed to effectively coach teams of people.
Alex Fürstenau
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book that provides a lot of ideas of what might make a good Scrum Master to a great Scrum Master.

If you have some experience as a Scrum Master and you think you are good this book is for you to get some more ideas.
Mark
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Geoff has captured the essence of a great ScrumMaster. If you are in the role of ScrumMaster or Agile Coach, this book should be on your shelf.
Klaudia A. Prasek
Anyone who aspires to be the ScrumMaster should definitely read this masterpiece :)

• Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Agile Coaching
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Practices for Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Large, Multisite, and Offshore Product Development with Large-Scale Scrum
  • Software in 30 Days: How Agile Managers Beat the Odds, Delight Their Customers, And Leave Competitors In the Dust
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Scrum: A Pocket Guide: A Smart Travel Companion
  • Scrum Shortcuts Without Cutting Corners: Agile Tactics, Tools, & Tips
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Training from the Back of the Room!: 65 Ways to Step Aside and Let Them Learn
  • Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Commitment

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“The Wizard Sleeves” 0 likes
“good ScrumMaster will hold team members to account if needed. A great ScrumMaster will hold the team to account for not holding their teammates to account.” 0 likes