Start by marking “The Last Boat” as Want to Read:
The Last Boat

The Last Boat

The Last Boat begins with a close-up account of the greatest maritime disaster in British history when the British Expeditionary Force lost more troops in ten minutes than it had in the previous nine months.
The news was so shocking that Churchill suppressed it and the report on the event is sealed until the year 2040.

But this is not an investigation into this tragic event
Published August 1st 2013 by Troubador (first published July 17th 2013)

Start your review of The Last Boat
Christoph Fischer
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The Last Boat" by John F. Hanley is the eagerly awaited sequel to "Against the Tide", which ended with the outbreak of WWII.
The second book takes us to the evacuation of Dunkirk and Allied troops from Northern France. I was amazed at the amount of detail the book was able to supply. So much happened in such a short time span at the beginning of the war that few of us can imagine the multitude of factors that came into play for the people of the Channel Islands and Northern France: Where to esca
Sarah Sharpe
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I finished 'Against the tide', I have been eagerly anticipating the 2nd book in the series. The author made me care about the characters so much in his first novel that I couldn't wait to find out what happens next...I certainly wasn't expecting the jaw dropping opening chapters detailing the true events of the demise of the Lancastria. This is such a well researched novel, it's the best kind of history lesson because I'm following the journeys and adventures of our protagonists yet f ...more
WiLoveBooks
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
You really need to have read Against The Tide to know the background of the characters. This book just jumps right in. This is Jack Renouf's story. It is interesting to read history from the perspective of individual experiences. He's right in the thick of things. Experiencing war from the inside. Jack's love life drives me a little crazy. He finds himself in dangerous situations but keeps mooning over two different women whom he hasn't even seen in quite some time. I suppose it keeps things int ...more
Cleopatra  Pullen
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Last Boat is the sequel to Against the Tide and as the reader I was plunged straight back into Jack Renouf and his adventures along with all the other characters met in the first book. In all honesty I hadn’t realised how much I missed them all. The Last Boat brings an extra depth to these characters, Jack himself is a year older, a little wiser but still a young man with a lot to learn about life, love and himself.

The book starts in France in June 1940, Jack having left his studies due to
Lynelle Clark
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received the book from the author for an honest review.

(Die man leer net nie, ai tog.) The man just does not learn...sigh. Caroline's hold over him was relentless, but yet it shows his softer side. In The Last Boat, we met up with a year older Jack, ruthless, more determined and adventures as the German invasion becomes more real on the island of Jersey. With his trustworthy Boadicea that takes him every where he needs to go.
With more twists in this historical, the plot develops with a steady
Thomas Tyrer
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I had decided to read Hanley's first book "Against the Tide" based on ratings on Goodreads and enjoyed it a lot. That said, the second in the Jack Renouf series "The Last Boat" shows that the first installment was really just to introduce the characters and conflicts and set the stage for this book two and beyond. The characters each have some caricaturistic tendencies but ultimately overcome them. These are good books -- no the great books some make them out to seem -- but each one is thoroughl ...more
John Hanley
Jul 06, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Pre-publication reviews from YouWriteOn:

'Muscular authenticity...'

'Action packed writing and its best.'

'This is a gripping example of historical fiction which taught me a great deal...'

'I enjoyed this very much. All the little details sprinkled throughout the story showed that the author knew his stuff. The other thing that really impressed me was the way he seemed to have captured the feel of the time. I see a "Master and Commander" type of series emerging.'

'This is intense, exciting and fright
Julie
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I revived an ARC from NetGalley.com com for a review of this book.

This book I want to rate four and half stars. It starts sreally well then we get a little further into the book and i,felt it lost its way little but then it all changers and the finish is fantastic. I would be happy to re read the story over and over again. Great read.
Clare Cannon
Sep 25, 2013 marked it as goodreadingguide-com
HS to review for www.GoodReadingGuide.com ...more
Sarah Grigson
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Jersey Occupation novel.
Revan
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Epic.
Kayla De Leon
I RECEIVED A DIGITAL COPY OF THIS BOOK FROM NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW*

I got through 20% of the book before I decided to put it down and pick up something else. Yes, it was intriguing, but the plot was troublesome to follow because of the simple truth that I am not a World War II expert. I have very limited knowledge of that era and the book lacked the narration of historical events that would have made it really easy to grasp the story.

The book focused more on the characters and
E.M.G. Wixley
Jul 19, 2013
Beata
Jul 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick, #1)
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
  • Adventures of the Starship Satori: Book 1-6 Complete Library