Start by marking “Paradox Child (Paradox Child, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paradox Child (Paradox Child, #1)

Read Book

Paradox Child

(Paradox Child #1)

Lilly's family has an extraordinary secret, one they have kept for four generations. Lilly's proud to be different and special. At Halloween she's happy to stay at home and cast spells with her mum and her Grandmother rather than go out trick or treating like the other kids. At 12 years old, she thinks she knows it all.

But then Lilly becomes unsettled by odd events, like
Published June 5th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Paradox Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradox Child

Jack
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Time travel is the focus of Jane Yates’ debut novel, Paradox Child. The child in question is twelve-year-old Lilly, a slightly shy girl with a delightfully inquisitive mind and a pretty unconventional family. Whilst a lot of eighties kids might have spent their time playing Hungry Hungry Hippos or watching The A-Team, Lilly is more concerned with practicing the art of magic with her mother and grandmother. But when her mother fails to return from one of her mysterious excursions, it’s up to Lill ...more
Kindle Ninja

Romance. Check.

Steampunk. Check.

Kitchen sink…

Okay, you get the idea.

There are many things going on in this story. Concepts that fascinate me are all covered, and then some. This is an adventure wrapped in mystery, mixing fantasy and reality (e.g. the time machine is hidden in Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford – yeah, that ought to blur the lines between fact and fiction).

There is plenty to like. But there is a downside – the main p
Jane Blanchard
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Paradox Child by J Yates ("re-edited version by the marvellous Mr Chris Keppie") is the first of three books. I really can't call it a series, more like installments of one book. Paradox Child ends abruptly and without conclusion, making me wonder just what happened to the storyline. There isn't even a "to be continued." I felt really dissatisfied until I picked up the second book which started just after the last incident in the first book. This second book has no backfill; it is just a continu ...more
Natalie
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Paradox Child by J. Yates Book 1

The story is about Lilly a girl who is brought up by her Mum and her Gran, who are both as wiccans and also time traveller. Lilly learns of the family secret when her Mum doesn’t return home and Lilly’s gran becomes unwell and it’s down to Lilly to go back in time to bring her back.
There are mysteries, tragedy’s and unanswered questions through the book.

The book is written in a narrative style and has a unique way to it, though sometimes I found that the narrator
Book Raiders
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Paradox Child: A review written by Book Raiders

This book is aimed at young readers approx. 12 years of age, however, don’t let that discourage you. I found it enjoyable. Author J. Yates’s key characters have a dynamic that moves the story along. It is fascinating how the author uses magic and science combined with ancient history as a catalyst.
The little girl Lilly a curious twelve-year-old learnt more about her past when her mother disappeared.

Her grandmother lives with them and is ill,
Chriskeppie
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Delightful characters in a wonderful mix (or rather, interface) of the ordinary and extraordinary.

Young Lilly lives in a normal house in Oxford, attends school (fairly regularly), and has spaniels, friends, romance, bereavement, marmalade sandwiches and lots of cakes. And (whilst Dad's not about), a Mum and Gran who matter of factly teach her Latin, botany, and spells! Oh yes, and how to time travel..

Chapter divisions cleverly move the story along, introducing enchanting nuggets of history, anth
Meghann Doyle
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beyond all the classic things, like well developed characters and interesting plot progression, this book was terrific. It has spirit.

The framework of setting description and foreshadowing is solid and graceful. The science of time travel is not an easy or very often a graceful subject. Yates has rewritten the rules. This book not only made the theories of space and time travel seem simple, but perfectly obtainable. All the while entertaining too. At no point did I feel like I had left the imme
Angel
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have given this book an okay rating. I did struggle with some parts of it because it felt as if they were meandering, not having a clear relationship with the underlying plot or at times a sense of purpose. For example, it felt as if the section at the end involving Maggie was bolted on - to me it should have been the beginning of another adventure. That having been said I read the book to the end (which I wouldn't have done had it not been engaging), the characters of Lily and Iris in particu ...more
Gwendolyn Plano
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Paradox Child draws the reader into an unusual family of magical women. Though written for YA readers (with ventures that include witchcraft and time travel), it intrigued me throughout. The characters (including pets) are well-developed and charming.

I look forward to reading the next two books and to passing the series to my grandchildren.
Steven
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
The plot behind the story was good, but the grammar was horrible. For reference, I read this ebook on my iPhone and noticed as many as 3 or 4 mistakes per page with an average of 1 per page. Despite the numerous mistakes, the plot was interesting enough to keep me hooked.
Andrea Renee Smith
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I do not normally read this genre. I found very fascinating and would reccommend to anyone.
Emily
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really good, gripping story with exciting cliffhanger.
Colleen Pyles
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fun, magical read!!!
Elizabeth
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was really looking for more to this story. So much time was spent working up to the missing children, that the events around the time machine seemed forced. I also felt that the language was condescending, even for a YA novel. In the end I was left disappointed and underwhelmed.
Christina Browne
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gr
Lilly and her mum Rose and her grandma iris are magical her mum gets stuck in time and its up to lilly to go get her full of adventures for lilly children missing then come back confused and dazed lilly meets some new friend one called ann, maggie and jim and reunites with jack one of her friends from scotland I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next one
Stacy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Paradox Child is a time travel story involving a young girl, her mother and grandmother. The young girl finds out she comes from generations of women who travel back in time-- and Lily must do so to rescue her mother. I would have liked this book much more had there not been all the witchcraft in it-- I found it distracting to the story. I wish that Ms. Yates had written it without that being one of the themes and employed some other device to aid the characters in their time-traveling adventure ...more
Oke Zachary
Mar 22, 2017
Jane Yates
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: own
Mar 16, 2018
Michelle
Feb 22, 2015
Nlc
rated it did not like it
May 12, 2015
Mar 09, 2016
Frank
Jan 09, 2014
Paradox Child スチー...: * Pitt Rivers Museaum 10 20 Jan 31, 2015 01:34AM
Paradox Child スチー...: * who character Lilly is based on 1 7 Sep 14, 2013 04:27AM

• Tethers (The Tethers Trilogy #1)
  • Thomas Riley
  • Sky Song (Sky Song trilogy #1)
  • The Phoenix Requiem: Volume One
  • The Cloud Diary
  • The Lady Astronomer
  • Outcast
  • Sons of Thunder (Sons of Thunder, #1)
  • Shadows Against the Empire (Folkestone & Hand, #1)
  • Soul Numbers: Decipher the Messages from Your Inner Self to Successfully Navigate Life
  • Forevermore (Pat O'Malley Steampunk Mysteries #1)
  • The Camelot Kids: Volume One (The Camelot Kids, #1-4)
  • Fifteen Postcards
  • Not Letting Go (Not Letting Go, #1)
  • Island of Icarus
  • Strange Tales From The Scriptorian Vaults
  • Reluctant Medium (Rachel Blackstone Paranormal Mystery Series #1)
  • The Puppet Spell
My name is Jane Yates, and I’m an author, artist and a narrator. I live in the historical City of Oxford in the UK.
Because I am dyslexic I did not start writing until I was 50 years old. I started as a cartoonist, illustrating and writing about my Springer Spaniel Mandy for a local community paper in Oxford, The Leys News, who I still write for.
I worked for several years in the Pitt Rivers a Muse

Paradox Child (3 books)
  • Therianthropy (Paradox Child, #2)
  • Original Destination (Paradox Child, #3)
“I do not like think of them as dead, just alive in another time, they are alive in that time just as we are in this time."
- Rose”