Start by marking “The Lost World of Bletchley Park: The Official Illustrated History of the Wartime Codebreaking Centre” as Want to Read:

The huge success of Sinclair's The Secret Life of Bletchley Park - a quarter of a million copies sold to date - has been symptomatic of a similarly dramatic increase in visitors to Bletchley Park itself, the Victorian mansion in Buckinghamshire now open as an engrossing museum of wartime codebreaking. Now, therefore, Aurum is publishing the first comprehensive illustrated ...more
Published October 2013 by Aurum Press Ltd (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost World of Bletchley Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost World of Bletchley Park

Start your review of The Lost World of Bletchley Park: The Official Illustrated History of the Wartime Codebreaking Centre
Andrew
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book takes on a slightly different approach to the now famous park. This is a sort of companion book to The Secret Life of Bletchley Park, in so much rather than focusing on the events that went on there or the characters who was located there, this book focuses on the house and its grounds.

Now this may seem a rather dull subject considering everything else that is associated with the site, from the second world war code breaking, the amazing talent that worked there to the incredible disc
Debbie Robson
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Lost of Bletchley Park by Sinclair McKay is an illustrated history of the wartime codebreaking centre. With a title like that I was expecting some photos but nowhere near as many as in this book which was a nice surprise.
I’ve been fascinated by Bletchley Park for a while now and with The Imitation Game, Enigma and the TV series The Bletchley Circle as favourites of mine, I thought it was about time I read more about the park. McKay’s book is perfect for that. It is a thorough but interestin
Paul
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2014
I have now read a number of books on Bletchley Park, and the key role that this place played in the Second World War, including two by this author, and this is a worthy addition to the documented history of this place.

There is a moderate amount of text that outlines the history and function of Bletchley, from its prewar function as a country estate under the Liberal MP Sir Herbert Leon and the very early and rapid expansion to the key role that it played in decrypting the Germany, Italian and Ja
Mary
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had no idea so much was written about the code breakers. I can't wait to get my hands on another book. This one was very good ...more
Michelle Hockley
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thorough and comprehensive work that opens our eyes to the environment in which the code breakers and their associates lived and worked. There are many charming stories brought to the fore, of those who are less well known for their involvement in breaking the code though no less important in reaching the end result. Beautifully illustrated with quality images.
Heather
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an AMAZING book. It's full of personal stories and anecdotes about the codebreakers and offers a clear explanation of what happened in each part of Bletchley. I have read quite a few books about Bletchley Park and yet I learned many new things reading this book.

Plus, the pictures are astounding.
Brian
Mar 29, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a fluff piece. Feels like a TV documentary companion book. But the enthusiasm is genuine and well-deserved for the amazing people who populated Bletchley Park.
Kerrie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A fast but fascinating read that makes good use of some amazing historical photographs.
Anoush
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, historical, slcpl
This was a fascinating overview and photo album of what went on at Bletchley Park during WWII. This book also covers the history of Bletchley Park (the house and large surrounding acreage) both before the war and to the current age. The codebreaking that went on during the war was so secretive that Bletchley Park was nearly torn down in favor of a shopping mall. Thank goodness people intervened! I'm definitely going to visit Bletchley Park when I have the chance.

My one complaint about this book
Joy Weese Moll
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Bletchley Park, an unremarkable country estate in mid-England, was the workplace of women and men in World War II performing the crucial task of breaking codes:

"The work that was done here had a huge almost unquantifiable impact on the course of the conflict. Whether listening in on the lethal U-boat wolf-packs; analysing the supply lines of Rommel’s panzer divisions in the North African desert; helping to hunt down and sink the Bismarck; feeding the Germans disinformation and then monitoring th
Evanston Public  Library
For World War II buffs, Anglophiles, cryptography geeks, and fans of the excellent Masterpiece Mystery series The Bletchley Circle, this book takes readers to the top-top-secret estate of Bletchley Park in Buckinghamshire that was for five years home to the crucial work of cracking the German military codes. Bletchley was a world unto itself, staffed with cryptographers, mathematicians, linguists, military specialists, intelligence agents, stenographers, and locals who served as the housekeeping ...more
Mindy Franke
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating look at Bletchley; good overview for someone not in the "know". My mum-in-law was a RAF at the park during the war, and didn't divulge anything to her family until after the first books were out and her husband confronted her about what her role was.

The book gave me a good overview of the goings on so I now feel comfortable in digging deeper into the bits and pieces that interest me. Good for all ages, lots of pictures, concise writing.

Recommend to those interested in origins of com
Bill Lynas
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Over the years I have read many books on Bletchley Park & the Enigma code, but the most informative works have always been by Sinclair McKay. His knowledge on the subject is huge & this superbly ilustrated book (along with his Secret Life Of Bletchley Park) is an outstanding achievement.
Amanda Witt
A great basic introduction of the intense work undertaken in secret by men and women to assist in cracking the Nazi codes to help win the war. Good photos throughout to provide a visual guide to the place and machines.
Kerry Howard
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because of the unseen photographs. With so many text based books on Bletchley this book with it's high image content is a great addition to giving readers an authentic 'look and feel' into Bletchley life. ...more
Debby Baumgartner
Good pictures of Bletchley Park before and after World War II and details of the code breaking activities that occurred there.
Richard Hurst
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, though I have heard a lot via the Bletchley podcast.
Lewis Hyam
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Great if you are interested in seeing and hearing about bletchley park
Lise Spectre
Aug 16, 2014
Lynn
Mar 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Note of Explanation: An Undiscovered Story from Queen Mary's Dollhouse (Historical Stories, Stories from Famous Authors, Literary Books)
  • The Gift: 12 Lessons to Save Your Life
  • The Debs of Bletchley Park and Other Stories
  • Codebreakers: The Inside Story of Bletchley Park
  • V2: A Novel of World War II
  • War Lord (The Last Kingdom, #13)
  • The History of the Hudson River Valley: From Wilderness to the Civil War
  • A Bookshop in Berlin
  • Introducing the Toff (Toff, #1)
  • Rather Be the Devil (Inspector Rebus, #21)
  • The Year of the Witching
  • The Trees
  • Still Life (Inspector Karen Pirie #6)
  • A Warning
  • This Island Earth (Forrest J Ackerman Presents)
  • My Name is Eva
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • The Victory Garden
Sinclair McKay writes regularly for the Daily Telegraph and The Secret Listeners and has written books about James Bond and Hammer horror for Aurum. His next book, about the wartime “Y” Service during World War II, is due to be published by Aurum in 2012. He lives in London.
-Source