Start by marking “Io sono paranoico : guida tascabile ai tremendi disturbi mentali che già senti di avere” as Want to Read:

Hot on the heels of the wildly successful The Hypochondriacs Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have comes The Paranoids Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On, Dennis DiClaudios hilarious look at fifty disturbingly familiar maladies you just know are buried deep in your psyche. This inspired new collection profiles the most
Published 2007 by Isbn Edizioni

To ask other readers questions about Io sono paranoico , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Io sono paranoico

Start your review of Io sono paranoico : guida tascabile ai tremendi disturbi mentali che già senti di avere
Linnea McGowan
Aug 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: freaks like me
Aww... it was like a trip down memory lane! I was a psych major back in the day and my abnormal prof (abnormal psych, not the prof herself... though she was a trip...) did a fine job teaching me about disorders of all kinds! I must admit that I literally knew or remembered every single disorder in the book... I don't really know what that says about me other than abnormal was my favorite class! Sadly, my favorite personality disorders were NOT included. :( I wept a little.

Oh, and the
Kelly Long
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have a psychology degree so a lot of these I have heard of before reading this book. But I enjoyed reading about them again and reading about some of the really "out there" disorders. Pretty much abnormal psychology of the more rare disorders in a nutshell.
Erin
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While author Dennis DiClaudio states plainly in the introduction that this book is not intended to be seen as making fun of any of the people who have these diseases, it's a bit hard to see it as anything else. DiClaudio keeps the tone light and humorous (Chapter 1: Anxiety Disorders, "because life's too short not to spend it worrying"), but it's difficult to find anything amusing about illnesses that are very real to the people suffering from them. Perhaps I'm just too sensitive? There must be ...more
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that is entertaining as hell for those that need a good laugh if they have an insane amount of stress going on in their life. Like me! ;) I enjoyed the book and annoyed my husband by asking him if he had any of the ones in the back, but I will behave and not post them because that would be naughty. LOL. Great book.
Ann Keller
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, sociology
I chuckled my way through this little book. Although it has many bases in fact, I found some of the manias and phobias incredible. Quite a few were couched in thoughts and fears from the past, too. The illustrations also offered period direction, as well. If you're seeking that perfect book for someone who has everything, this little gem offers a humorous alternative.
Peta
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
This book was so funny that while I was reading it I could literally not put it down. I certainly would not suggest reading it on public transport! I actually ended up reading most of the entries out to a willing, (demanding, really) audience.
J.M.
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting snapshot of some of the strangest mental disorders recorded. There were a few they left out that I felt would've been good additions to the list, but I guess they had to save some for the next volume, eh?
Izabela
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book a few years ago, when I was a psychology major in college. Whenever I'm feeling down (or nutty!) I just read a passage from here. Great little guide to pick you up and make you just a tad craz(ier)!
Suzanne
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What began as an amusing gift book ended as a truly fascinating primer on the numerous mental afflictions that befall our society. Warning! It will have you rethinking your own thoughts and actions, as well as analyzing those of others.
Dennis DiClaudio
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy sex, have sex, had sex, or were born of people who ever had sex.
In reviewing this book, I can think of no better means than to loosely paraphrase a passage of "The Confessions of St. Augustine": Holy shit! That was super bitchin'!
Neriah Samraksha
"Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
Because you are the fulcrum around which the rest of the world spins and anyone who doesn't understand this is an idiot."

Every disorder is well documented, including common symptoms, causes, and treatment options, along with a handy quiz for easy self-diagnosis. And in case you can't tell whether or not you're losing it, each entry includes a sample inner monologue detailing the thought processes at playbecause sometimes you don't know you're crazy until you
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Somewhat Irreverent Guide to Offbeat and Typical Mental Disorders

As the title might suggest, this book is meant to be a lighthearted guide to some typical and rare mental disorders. I know; that seems like a strange concept. The author does address this in the introduction, where he states that he knows that mental disorders are a serious subject. He has written some other somewhat humorous books on difficult topics, like diseases and deviant behavior. When you actually start to read about the
Theediscerning
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the third book of this author's I read this month, following enjoyable rattles around the human body's worst diseases, and the human bedtime's worst sexual ideas. This concerns a host of mental disorders, pretty much all of the kind you'd rather not have. Well, pretty much since when is synaesthesia a disorder, as in something to cure? And is not "Intermittent Explosive Disorder" just a perfect legal invention, to get you off a trial case when you throw someone through a bar window for ...more
Rachel Noel
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I saw the title of this book and knew I had to get it. As a former hypochondriac, for physical and mental issues, I knew I needed to read this book. Good news! I was able to tell myself, "Yeah, I don't have this" time and time again. This is likely due to how DiClaudio writes each section. Each disorder starts with a few questions for you, followed by an inner dialogue that someone with the disorder would have, and then the diagnostics and causes of
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On by Dennis DiClaudio covers forty different real psychological disorders that are hilarious and terrifying both. Hilarious because they are so outrageous as to be unbelievable, yet terrifying because they are very real, and YOU could be suffering from one. Thankfully, each entry comes complete with a self-diagnosis quiz, and a sample inner monologue so you can make extra certain. In humourous fashion, symptoms, causes of ...more
Nerdy Housewifey
If your like me you love reading and learning the most random things. Do you want to know what the fear is your already dead but no one has told is? Then read this! This was one of the most interesting books Ive ever read, ever... well aside from Dennis DiClaudios two other books. I love learning random things and these books not only describe what they are/mean they give examples and all with such hilariously witty dialogue that by the end I was genuinely sad that I wasnt friends with Dennis in ...more
Kirsten never has enough time
A rapid-fire look at weird mental disorders that you definitely have coming on. How about the desire to lop off a limb, the only treatment for which is the amputation of that limb? (Body Integrity Identity Disorder) A condition where sometimes, as you're falling asleep, a massively loud sound happens in your head and wakes you back up? (Exploding Head Syndrome) Or being convinced that you are the second coming of Jesus himself? (Jerusalem Syndrome)

A jolly entertaining read.
Curious Reader
I was very excited to read this book.
At first I thought that its funny but then it seemed that it right.
Nice to read it. Didnt knew that there were such mental disorders..

Note: I received a free e-copy of the book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. Special thanks to the author and publisher for giving me a chance to read it.
Nicola
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was attracted by the the title of this book, which promises a somewhat quirky and entertaining read. While not meaning to insult people who are diagnosed with any of the disorders, Dennis DiClaudio finds humour among the various conditions. A printed copy of this book would make a perfect gift and something to dip in and out of.
Kristine
The Paranoid's Pocket Guide... by Dennis DiClaudio is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late September.

Lesser-known mental conditions, as told by the inner monologue of someone with the condition, how it occurs, diagnosis, and treatment. The narrative is belittling, overexcessive, and like a Mad magazine article on a serious topic.
Kim Hamilton
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a hilarious book. The title pretty much says it all: it's a collection of disorders and the associated symptoms...that you most likely have, of course. It was such a fun read and I'm definitely passing it (the book) along eventually. This would make a really funny gift as well, truly ideal for any hypochondriac. I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes a good laugh!
Heather Bennett
Dec 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is slap stick humor with no real useful medical information. It is well written, but makes fun of those with mental issues.
Lindsey Schuster
Mar 21, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is filled with false medical advice. Shouldnt even be allowed to be published imo. Shame on the author. ...more
Joshua (ithildins)
a few chuckles, lots of information about things i didn't know - i liked it
Lyndsay-ann
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This is a great book. Talks about some of the more well known mental disorders, but mainly some lesser known ones.

The disorders are categorized into the different types of disorder (psychotic, sexual, etc). Then each is explained through Diagnosis, Causality, and Treatment. The best part though, is the Inner Monologue, which gives a first hand point of view of somebody suffering from the disorder.

The writting is easy and fun to read, with a slight hint of comedy. I've read this book a few times,
Charity
It's possible to know too much on this subject. I'm not sure I really wanted to know all the disorders that are out there, which is a first for me since usually I'm morbidly fascinated by that sort of thing. I mostly skimmed this book since it was hard to read and it's not as fun as the title makes it out. I actually found it slightly depressing to read about all the problems that are out there. Plus I was a little disturbed by the artwork.
Hazel
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the 3 Pocket Guides from Dennis DiClaudio this is the one I enjoyed the most.

These are short books so dont take too long to read, dont read them if you are easily offended.

Thanks to Netgalley and Quatro Publishing for the ARC. My review is my own opinion.
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
I was humming along reading this book, chuckling myself to death, when I realized that I actually once had a rather mild form one of the disorders mentioned.

I realize this will come as a shock to almost none of the people who know me.
Jade
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
informative and hilarious. what more could you want
Kozmo Kliegl
A short book on how weird humans can be trapped by inner demons of the mind. Will be seeking out others in this series

• Fowl Language: Winging It
  • All Cats Are Introverts
  • Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day
  • 10-Minute Tidy Home: Hundreds of Easy Tips to Straighten and Clean Every Room of Your House
  • The Killer Inside
  • I’m Absolutely Fine!: A Manual for Imperfect Women
  • 10-Minute Declutter: Hundreds of Tips to Organize Every Room of Your House
  • Beautiful, Complicated Family: Volume 2
  • Beautiful, Complicated Family: Volume 1
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 5 [Tokyo Guru 5] (Tokyo Ghoul, #5)
  • Trident's Forge (Children of a Dead Earth, #2)
  • We Are Not Here to Be Bystanders: A Memoir of Love and Resistance
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics
Dennis DiClaudio lives in Rochester, NY with one wife, one son, and two dogs. He is a former editor for Comedy Central's Indecision website and has contributed to The Onion and The AV Club. His plays have been staged in New York City, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Oxford, MS.

News & Interviews