Start by marking “Lean Change: Evolving Change Management” as Want to Read:
Lean Change: Evolving Change Management

Lean Change: Evolving Change Management

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  268 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This book will help you implement successful change and bypass change resistance by co-creating change. The book will do that through examples of how innovative practices can dramatically improve the success of change programs. These practices combine ideas from the Agile, Lean Startup, change management, organizational development and psychology communities. This book wil ...more
Published April 1st 2013

To ask other readers questions about Lean Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Change

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Lean Change: Evolving Change Management
Richard Newton
Interesting, but a book I read with mixed feelings, hence the balanced 3 star review.

To start with the good, I liked a number of things about this book. Basically, I like the core advice - it's practical and pragmatic. I like some of the ways the author combines good modern practice in change management with some older techniques - like ADKAR, Kotter's 8-step model, and the McKinsey 7s framework. I liked this not because I am fixated with those techniques, but because I liked the way the author
Sebastian Gebski
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really have a problem with rating this book.

It's really well written, concise & fluff-free - what is more, I do agree with 100% of what has been stated by author, but I can't really help the feeling that this book didn't help me to improve in any way, didn't give me "more ammo" to pursuit introducing changes, didn't teach me "any new trick". I wouldn't call it wasting time, but I've expected a bit more.

What did I like most?
* author is not afraid to admit that
Aleksey
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book looks like a case study of agile introduction in an organization Jason was working for.
It's well written and has a huge amount of references to other materials that can help with the general and practical knowledge in Change management.
Vasco Duarte
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DISCLOSURE: I helped Jason shape this book by reviewing it and editing some parts before publication.

I have worked as an Agile Coach for several years. The key challenge for me in working with large or mid-sized organizations was: how do I manage the change, that I know needs to happen. How to start it? How to involve people? How to keep it going, despite the inevitable decrease in interest as the novelty wears out? and the key question: How to I deal with change resistance? or chang
Mark
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like Sebatian, I didn't find much new except some interesting variations in the business model canvas and a description of the Kinsey change model.

But that's the point. If you understand agile, you will find resistance to change and you can use that to design experiments with your resistors AND supporters. You can then use the results to find what works best for the organization overall and not just early adopters.

I really like this book and would recommend it to any who are are con
Gerard Chiva
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Organizational change is not a linear process, so an experimental feedback-driven approach will work much better than predictive or plan-driven models.

This book is very practical, easy-read, combined with real stories, and what I liked most, the absence of dogmatism. A lean approach to change management: take what works and get rid of what doesn't.

I'm so happy I contributed to the crowd-funding campaign! The result couldn't have been better.

Must read for chang
Srikanth Ramanujam
I just attended Jason's Lean change Toronto two-day course. His book is compilation of various change methods - Kotter, McKinsey, ADKAR tied together his Lean canvas approach. There are elements of the ideas which I found interesting to absorb and a few that I don't relate to and would ignore. It is another small increment in my change journey.
Erwin Verweij
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very good book with practical tips and tricks for implementing change. Every Agile coach should have this one in his pocket. Great ideas for canvas formats but also how change works within small and especially large companies.
Paul
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cheeky little read, gives a brief overview of various change tools, good as a gentle intro but then getting into more heavy weight source material. Would be good choice for a work book club
Piotr
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Piotr by: Łukasz Lichota
Disappointing. This should be a short series of blog articles or a 1h presentation on a conference - not a book.

Mentioned ‘frameworks’ and ideas are explained very briefly, in most cases the reader is directed to a link in references to read more. Often the anecdote supporting the description does not explain very well how to use the tool and how is it helpful. Another thing is that often the idea behind those ‘frameworks’ can be conveyed in a 30 seconds speech (and referenced Wikipe
Toby
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very simple and easy to read guide on Lean Change Management. This book is literally like an autobiography of my life. At times i felt it was a little too simplistic and could of gone into more detail. In particular, the psychology of change and coaching models. I liked the section about Canvases and i'll certainly plan to use some of them. Only took about 2hrs to read so a nice way to dip your toes in and go exploring some of the topics such as ADKAR, Lean Coffee, Management 3.0 in other source ...more
Henrik Berglund Berglund
The book reads very much like a case study of a time Jasons was introducing agile in an organization. Perhaps one pf his first tinmes doing this?

The practices and approach described in this book are all good. I was expecting more from the title though and came out disappointed by lack of depth and of ideas I had not seen before.

I do love a case study over theory though and the read was easy and quick!
Pieter
Very nicely written book, providing a helicopter view on the field of lean change management. However, given the fact that the author does not go in detail (making it easier to read) results in a summary of general insights. These were not new to me, such that the book overall is pleasant but not bringing new knowledge (at least not for me).
Trish
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in preparation with Jason’s course. Jason has a great way of taking the complex and makes it both simple and flexible. The board has great insights and illustrations. I love GIS cocreation focus.

He opens some doors for future learning too.. Practical book for those of us who are change agents in organizations moving out waterfall into agile.

Encourage his seminar too.
Carlos
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise, practical and context located. I've found it a great approach to manage change in a nor pushed way, a guide for change agents with a lot of advice and without dogma.

A must if you have to manage some kind of complex change in an organizational environment. A great field companion.
ragulusus29
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brooklyn wanted two things.
Her own bakery.
And Nate Riley.

Opening her own business was the easy part.
Trying to forget about Nate when he disappeared was the hard part.

Now, years later, she's running her bakery while engaged to the ideal man.

Then the unimaginable
Lorenzo Armenta Fonseca
This book by Jason Little proposes very good innovative and agile practices for change management in an organization through various techniques and tools that can be easily used to implement changes efficiently and dynamically through continuous experimentation.
Abe Massry
The book was written excellently. The writer told a story, used descriptive language and kept me engaged despite the subject matter. I cannot stress enough how excellent a job the writer did at describing this subject. The subject matter was not for me.
Michel Rivard
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, efficient, action-oriented
Gediminas
Poor expectation management strikes again
I heard good things about this book, so I picked it up and read it from a perspective of a Software Engineer interested in introducing technical and process improvements into my organization (introducing change bottom-up, from within the organization).
However, this was written mostly from higher level Agile-transformation consultancy perspective (introducing changes top-down by people external to the organization), making it just an educational read o
Toni Delgado Jones
Wow! What a great book!! Of course I am partial, as it marries the two subjects that are near and dear to my heart...lean AND change management. I love the CI approach, simple one pager visual plans, and pointers on how to present what some people see as a "fluffy" stuff in business transformations. I will read and re-read this book over and over again. Thank you!
Srikanth Ramanujam
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

Ralph  van Roosmalen
I really like this book. It describes a very pragmatic approach for change management. Jason understands there is no silver bullet for change management and that you need to combine different strategies.
Seymour Hersh
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Jason's book on Lean Change. Clear concise writing, and engaged tempo, good examples and that sense that Jason and I are having a great conversation.

Well,worthwhile reading and following.

Seymour
Łukasz Lichota
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple presentation of interesting idea. To the point, not too long but with a number of reference for follow up. Good book because it respects your time :)
Johan Oskarsson
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Some new ideas for visulizing changes!
Thomas
Oct 27, 2015 added it
Nice ideas, a little low in presentation and examples.
Alex Shevchuk
Good set of change management practicies. Interesting story about how it went in Comission.
Nita
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes me excited

I love this stuff so I really enjoyed this. Great ideas and simple but cool tools that I can't wait to share/use!
Andy Cleff
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

So much valuable perspective. A clear framework for change, without pretense of prescription. Thank you, Jason for writing this book!

• Training from the Back of the Room!: 65 Ways to Step Aside and Let Them Learn
  • How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Fifty Quick Ideas to Improve Your User Stories
  • Agile Coaching
  • Commitment
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • The Connected Company
  • For the Win
  • Liftoff: Launching Agile Teams & Projects
  • Agile IT Organization Design: For Digital Transformation and Continuous Delivery
  • The Leader's Handbook: Making Things Happen, Getting Things Done
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work - Navigating Life
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Understanding the Four Rules of Simple Design
  • Kanban in Action
  • Freedom From Command And Control: A Better Way To Make The Work Work
Jason began his career as a web developer when Cold Fusion roamed the earth. Over the following years, he moved into management, Agile Coaching and consulting. The bumps and bruises collected along the way brought him to the realization that helping organizations adopt Agile practices was less about the practices, and all about change.

In 2008 he attended an experiential learning confer
“The Hack is the action you take to expose, jam, complicate, disrupt, or otherwise point out the crack to the organization.” 0 likes
“Top-down change without honest feedback from those affected by the change simply will not work.” 0 likes