Start by marking “The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick” as Want to Read:
The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick

The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  360 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Kevin David Mitnick was cyberspace's most wanted hacker. Mitnick could launch missiles or cripple the world's financial markets with a single phone call - or so went the myth. The FBI, phone companies, bounty hunters, even fellow hackers pursued him over the Internet and through cellular airways. But while Mitnick's alleged crimes have been widely publicized, his story has ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Fugitive Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fugitive Game

May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kevin mitnick is the man. (ok, no kevin poulsen is THE MAN) but mitnick was the sheet too. And he almost got away with it. He even lived here in seattle and worked at a hospital IT department that i am familiar with. Yes, i have driven to the apartment building where he lived. he paid too big a price for the crime but was rewared with the hacker MVP. He's doing quite well for himself these days doing consulting work as a computer security analayst. The lesson here is that "crime" really can be a ...more
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Meh. Maybe because I knew alot of the events decribed already from previous books read or perhaps the writing, hard to tell. None of the people, even Mitnick, jump off the page and the book becmae a slog through events of limited interest.
Jenny Dawid
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Nikt tu nie pomyślał nawet o włączeniu sprawdzania pisowni, że o porządnej korekcie nie wspomnę. Literówki goniły literówki, a niektóre zdania trzeba było czytać trzy razy, żeby przebrnąć przez ich niegramatyczność.
Historia jednak wciągająca i ciekawa. Polecam, ale raczej nie w wydaniu Heliona.
Scott Holstad
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I realized as I was reading this that I had read this before -- 20 years ago when it was first published. I had forgotten that, but it came back to me as I read it again. And I really enjoyed reading it again, even though so much about technology and the Internet has changed since then. Littman wrote so that the information still seems relevant all this time later.

The book is, of course, about the world's most famous hacker, Kevin Mitnick, and about the government's insane obsession to catch him
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Yet another book about computer hacker / phone phreaker Kevin Mitnick. For a while, he was the #1 most wanted "cybercriminal", accused of costing companies millions and millions of dollars -- although he never stole money or items for resale.

One of the best things about his story is that it's been told from so many different angles. Shimomura, a security expert and adversary of Mitnick's, wrote a book about how he helped track down Kevin. Mitnick has had his story told by a New York Times report
Joe White
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: techread
Theatrical production of law in the US is exemplified here in its typical underhanded illegal form.
Mitnick was hung in effigy for the spineless and mindless idiots whose collective thoughts are managed by very persuasive political powers with a gestapo to back their actions. Now, 15 years after the case, this mass of idiots can't wait to have their most intimate information distributed by Facebook and stored for later use by Google.
Internet and phone security hasn't progressed in the last 20 ye
Todd Mitchell
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Until Mitnick's new personal memoirs hit the shelves, this is the only book you should bother with to learn about the crimes, chase, and eventual arrest of perhaps the most misunderstood hacker of our time.

Jonathan Littman, having been in somewhat frequent contact with Mitnick throughout the events discussed in the book, gives first-hand insight into Kevin's misadventures and manages also to expose the shady activities of law enforcement and journalists involved in the subsequent investigations
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hacker culture needs more books like this one. It disassembles the tropes and assumptions of the celebrities of Kevin Mitnick's case --lawfulo and criminal alike -- while giving all players involved a believable, fallible humanity.

The story is approachable for those who love mysteries, technology, crime dramas, or history. It is non-technical, detailed, and questioning of our basic assumptions regarding law and order without becoming preachy or revolutionary. All this, without being unkind, glo
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. All I knew personally about Kevin Mitnick until reading this was the myth from the 80's/90's. I was almost surprised to see that the book does not feel dated, as one could expect when technology is involved. Of course there is mention of what cellular phones were like twenty years ago, but the real discourse is about points of view and conversations trying to figure who did what and when.

All in all, a good book.
Prattle On, Boyo
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's astonishing what ignorance & uncertainty engender in the judiciary. Social engineer, Kevin Mitnick was so feared by the U.S. government that in addition to being ordered to serve prison time, he was also ordered not to use telephones or a computer for the duration of his incarceration plus for a period following his release.

Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: geek, biography
A very interesting read for geeks like me. I do wish the book had gone beyond Kevin Mitnick's eventual arrest and covered his trial and beyond. I am going to have to see if anyone else went that far with his story.
Scott Wilson
Dec 21, 2007 rated it liked it
I want to like this book. It should be the best accounting of Mitnick as a person and as a fugitive. I guess it is, but Littman's approach is not narrative enough for my tastes. It's almost as if he's writing it as a serial for some random periodical with no clear audience.
Apr 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
It might just be the way it's written but all I know is fictional hackers=the epitome of badass while real hackers=lowlifes who eat fast food 24/7

Apparently hacking is only interesting if you're a hacker (MIN,TGID,ESN??? Don't know don't care)
Ian Raffaele
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
It was okay. I had a hard time following the story at certain points. Also, because the story is from 1995 it appears very dated. Just my honest opinion.
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This one was ok. Not as good as Takedown.
Dean Jones
Jan 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I wasn't as fond of this book as I was the Kevin Poulsen book... however, it was worth a read.
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
worst book on mitnick
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good read! I still prefer Ghost In the Wires better.
Mar 26, 2011
Aug 31, 2011
Thomas Horan
Mar 16, 2014
Shara Koplowitz
rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2015
  • Cyberpunk: Outlaws and Hackers on the Computer Frontier
  • Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace
  • Fire in the Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer
  • The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier
  • Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw - By the Man Who Did It
  • The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders and Deceivers
  • Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
  • Exploding the Phone: The Untold Story of the Teenagers and Outlaws Who Hacked Ma Bell
  • Database Nation: The Death of Privacy in the 21st Century
  • Underground: Tales of Hacking, Madness, and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier
  • The Rootkit Arsenal: Escape and Evasion in the Dark Corners of the System
  • The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms
  • Rebel Code: Linux and the Open Source Revolution
  • Hacking the Xbox: An Introduction to Reverse Engineering
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
  • UNIX Network Programming, Volume 2: Interprocess Communications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »