Start by marking “Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog, Says Be a Buddy, Not a Bully” as Want to Read:
Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog, Says Be a Buddy, Not a Bully

Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog, Says Be a Buddy, Not a Bully

When Toby steps into the path of a dog who shreds his beloved stuffed teddy-bear toy, we see the hurt feelings bullying creates. Beautifully illustrated teaches the importance kindness / being considerate. A great way to start discussions in ages 3 to 10.
Published June 15th 2013 by Bettie Youngs Book Publishers (first published May 20th 2013)

Be the first to ask a question about Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog, Says Be a Buddy, Not a Bully

Anastasia Riebs
For the record, Toby the Pet Therapy Dog is not a cognitive behavioral therapist for pets who display chronic bullying-related emotional disorders. The entire pretext of this book is to introduce school-age children to the concept of therapy animals. Aside from a picture illustrating the identifying uniform, the book offers little by way of familiarizing children with the use of service animals as they relate to people with disabilities. Therapy dogs are briefly described as dogs who help when p ...more
R
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a former pre-school teacher, I highly recommend this book to anyone who would like to spread the message about the consequences of bullying and what everyone can do to be a better person. Hammond does an excellent job of explaining what a Pet Therapy dog does and how they are valuable in our society as companions and helpers to children and adults. The message about being a buddy not a bully is clear for the age group and the solutions and suggestions are realistic and actionable. The illustr ...more
Suzanne
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Suzanne by: NetGalley
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
In the tradition of Marley or Dewey the Library Cat, Toby stars in several books written by his human family. On Toby's Terms and Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog, and His Hospital Friends were his earlier literary appearances. Be a Buddy, Not a Bully was just released last month and is sure to be popular in schools. In the story, Toby's owner, Charmaine, takes him to school to talk to the students about bullies. She uses an example of an unfriendly dog who destroys Toby's favorite toy while they are a ...more
Lisa
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
very cute! loved the message, just seemed to need a little more of something.
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Toby is a Pet Therapy Dog and he even wears a uniform. This uniform identifies him as a service dog and gets him into schools, hospitals and many other places most dogs are not allowed to enter. His task are to make things easier for those with needs and to make them happy. Toby's owner/handler is none other than the author of this book, Charmaine Hammond.

In this book Toby is making a visit to a school. He is being presented with an award for being a buddy, not a bully. Charmaine told the class
Kristen Jett
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog is a cute read. Toby visits a school with Miss Charmaine, so the question of how one should handle a bully can be approached. I love how this school setting is used to illustrate the questions children might have on how they should respond to a bully, and just what they should do as this format is bound to be very relatable to the children reading this book.

I did think it a little weird that all of a sudden Toby can talk to other dogs, and apparently Miss Charmaine can
Jalynn Patterson
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

About the Author:

Charmaine Hammond is the author of the runaway bestseller, ON TOBY'S TERMS as well as a children series based on that book. She speaks to audiences around the world.

My Review:

Toby, the pet therapy dog series, is
Mason
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this day and time when we hear so much about youngsters being bullied, finding a way to talk to your children about it is essential.

Author Charmaine Hammond tackles that subject in her children’s book – TOBY, THE PET THERAPY DOG, SAYS BE A BUDDY NOT A BULLY.

In this charming story Hammond, using the pet therapy dog Toby, teaches youngsters respect, kindness and the importance of being considerate of others. She uses Toby as an example as to what youngsters should do if they are bullied or see
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
I like the idea of therapy dogs helping children. I remember the images of those dogs in the days after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and how the kids and even some adults benefited from them. Here, Tody, a therapy dog, goes to school to help the children learn to cope with bullies. It felt a little forced because it was really Toby owner who interpreted the behavior of Toby and the bully dog, although this is directed at such young kids, it probably doesn't matter.

At the back of th
Dorcas
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, childrens
This is a cute story about a 'working dog 'who gets bullied but doesn't retaliate. He goes back to his owner and the owner handles the situation.

His example teaches children at school that it's not ok to be mean and if you see someone being mean you need to speak up and then tell a responsible adult.

The story also teaches that it's ok to be different and Toby loves everyone, even if they like brocolli icecream. He loves people for their individuality. And it follows that we should too.

I thought
Saba N  Taylor
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Children love pets, so what better way to introduce an important topic, like bullying, than with a pet therapy dog. Toby the dog encounters a not so nice dog at the park and his story helps children understand that bullying is never okay and how to manage if someone bullies you. This is a longer story so suitable for school age children who can either read on their own or can sit through a longer story during circle time. There is a great resource page at the back of the book for parents and tea ...more
Amy
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
A neat kid's story on bullying. Hard to read on my Kindle (not Kindle Fire) as the pages did not line up appropriately with the text. Bullying is a sensitive subject and sometimes I don’t think my 2 year old understands the concept. But what toddler isn’t a bully? “Mine” is frequently a word that comes out of her mouth. I will try again later with her when she is more receptive.
3 stars

Published June 15th 2013 by Bettie Youngs Book Publishers

Thank you to NetGalley for a free copy of this book fo
LaGina
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book to read with my 7yo. He was able to see how to handle a bulling situation without violence
Dalene
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from netgalley. This was a cute read about bullies and how to handle them. I read this book to my grandson and it was fun read with an important message.
Harini Srinivasan
Apr 07, 2019

Creature Comforts:
No Bonz about It, Service Dog Toby Hammond is giving readers Something
Good to Growl About!

When On Tobys Terms author Charmaine Hammond and her husband Chris were almost killed in a sailboat accident, they instinctively knew that their priorities needed to shift and when their beloved German Shepherd, Dooks passed on, they knew the right thing to do was to rescue a dog and give i