Start by marking “A Treachery of Spies (Capitaine Inés Picaut #2)” as Want to Read:
A Treachery of Spies (Capitaine Inés Picaut #2)

A Treachery of Spies

(Capitaine Inés Picaut #2)

A Treachery of Spies is an espionage thriller to rival the very best, a high stakes game of cat-and-mouse, played in the shadows, which will keep you guessing every step of the way.

An elderly woman of striking beauty is found murdered in Orleans, France. Her identity has been cleverly erased but the method of her death is very specific: she has been killed in the manner of
Published August 9th 2018 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about A Treachery of Spies, please sign up.

Paromjit
This is the first Manda Scott novel that I have read, and I was completely bowled over by its brilliance. This is the best historical fiction I have read for some time, part of the reason for that is the depth, complexity and insights acquired by impeccable and impressive research carried out by the author on this period of WW2 history in Britain and France. Whilst creating fictional characters, Scott has based them on real life individuals in Britain and France where the French Resistance (The ...more
Lou
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Manda Scott, in 'Treachery of Spies', mixes some of my favourite genres: crime fiction/thriller, historical fiction and espionage and does so in a way that makes the story completely seamless. The combination of genres works extremely well here. I find I am always dubious regarding testimonials from big names in the publishing world, and here industry favourites Lee Child and Mick Herron have both given glowing reviews of this book. I admit, on this occasion, all of them were correct.

When the bo
Kate
I have yet to find words to express how perfect this outstandingly clever, powerful and evocative novel is. It is magnificent. I hid away to finish it and it will haunt me for a long time. If you want to read the definitive novel on the French Resistance this could well be it. But there's so much more to it than that. Review to follow closer to publication on For Winter Nights. Bravo, Manda Scott bravo.
Bill Kupersmith
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Treachery of Spies now joins Sarah Helm’s nonfiction A Life of Secrets: The Story of Vera Atkins and the Lost Agents of SOE and Elizabeth Wein’s YA Code Named Verity atop my list the exciting and moving Second World War historical books I have had the pleasure to read. This was one of the very worst periods in human history, but it was illuminated by the highest acts of bravery, sacrifice and comradeship that saved civilisation from the most despicable evil. Imagine being young and possessed o ...more
Richard
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Caroline James
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book quite brilliant. Clever writing and page turning. It took some time for me to get into the plot but I couldn't put it down and found it a fascinating insight to a time in history that may soon be forgotten; cleverly bought up to date with a current day crime. Superb writing by a new author to me and I will certainly be reading more. Huge thanks to the publisher for letting me read ahead of publication. Highly recommended.
Adam Lofthouse
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I find it hard to know where to start with this wonderful book. The beautiful prose? The endearing characters? How about the in depth detail given of life in France in WWII? That or the utterly engrossing plot.
Manda Scott has always written incredible books, none quite as masterful as this though.
The story is a dual timeline, following Captain Ines Picaud in modern day France, as she investigates the death of an old lady, found dead in a car, shot twice in the chest and once in the head, her t
Emily Ross
Thank you to the publishers for providing an ARC of this book through NetGalley.

DNF at 21%.

I really struggled to get into this book. I found it quite difficult to follow the plot because of the switches between the plot in the past and the plot in the present. It was incredibly complicated and quite confusing.
Ness
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A novel to rival some of the great Le Carré spy thrillers!

Meticulously researched and suspenseful, this book brings together three of my favourite book categories: spy thriller, police crime procedural and historical fiction. The writing is superb. I loved the characters - particularly Police Inspector Picaut, who gets stuff done and at the same time, is flawed enough to be a real human.

In the vein of Kate Mosse, the novel passes smoothly from the 1940s to present-day and moves between France a
SueKich
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Meeting some resistance.

When a once-and-still-beautiful 92-year old woman is found brutally murdered and mutilated in Orléans, the threads of the case go all the way back to the French resistance fighters of the Maquis and their British colleagues-in-arms in 1944.

I tire so of the dual time-frame novel but – sigh - it’s inevitable here in this story of treachery and skulduggery with such links to the past. A huge and confusing cast makes it hard to keep up with the suspects in what is, after all
Jo
Captain Ines Picaut of the Orleans police force is called to investigate the death of an elderly woman in what looks like a professional execution. She soon discovers Sophie's death is tied up with a bunch of former spies who worked with the French Resistance in WW2. The narrative moves between what happened in the 1940s and the contemporary investigation. Manda Scott is a superb writer and her books always draw you in and make you want to keep reading and reading.
S.J.A. Turney
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find it easy, when reviewing Manda Scott’s books, to run out of superlatives. I have never yet been disappointed in any of her body of work and if you are a fan of historical fiction and have not yet encountered her books, then don’t waste time here. Go buy one and get reading.

Three years ago, I read her book Into the Fire with raw, new interest, for she had turned from the milieu of ancient Rome and created a tale in a dual timeline that linked the campaigns of Jeanne d’Arc with a modern poli
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fantastic book is another captivating read featuring Capitaine Ines Picaut, who made her first appearance in the book "Into the Fire" by the author Manda Scott.
I would like to mention at first that the author has once again accomplished an immense feat combining historical espionage actions from the 1940s and 1950s, and deadly events which are now happening in 2018, in a most compelling fashion.
Secondly I would like to say that the story-telling is of a top-notch quality by this very fine a
Michael Cayley
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A superb novel of betrayal and violence, reminiscent of John le Carré at his best.

An elderly woman is found shot dead in a station car park in Orléans in 2018. There is identification naming her as Sophie Destivelle but it soon become clear that this is a false name. As the head investigator, Picaut, pursues the cas, it rapidly become clear that the death links back to Resistance fighters and British Special Operations Executive activities during WW2. Much of the novel is set in that period, and
Kim
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been quite a while since I felt so desperate to read and understand the outcome of a book. With friends popping around last night I pressed hard to find out what happened near the end, before they arrived, but failed. I realised this finale wasn't worthy of such a fevered read, but needed to be absorbed gently to take in the detail. All I can say is, Wow! What a superb read that is sure to impress any fan of WWII spy thrillers!

A Treachery of Spies is told in two timelines - a modern day mur
Nick Brett
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed this, my first book by Manda Scott. I need to read more of her work, including the historical stuff.
But this is a thriller with its roots back in WW2 and the SOE and the brave souls that dropped into France to aid the Maquis in the fight against the occupying Germans. However we start in modern day with a murder, and that murder leads back to a key group of SOE agents and their time in the war.
A French investigation team headed up by female Captain Picaut are investigating the
Kate
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely intoxicating read, dealing with WWII spies, double agents and traitors in a modern murder mystery- with a brilliant female detective at the lead. The women are brave, unique and unforgettable, which is an achievement given how many women feature in this book. Additionally there is a controversial topic discussed at the heart of this novel, and one that I found highly curious when viewing world politics of 2018.
Greville Waterman
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second Ines Picaut mystery but I read it as a stand alone and was captivated and intrigued by a cleverly plotted and immaculately researched police procedural that turned into a spy thriller as in order to solve the murder of a former secret agent, the present was combined with flashbacks of her past activity throughout the second world war.

Manda Scott can certainly write and also devise a fascinating story that drew me in from the start. I learned much about the activity of the resi
Zoe
Thanks Random House UK, Transworld Publishers and netgalley for this ARC.

Manda Scott always amazing me with how seamless she weaves the past and present in her novels. This novel will blow you away. It's one of those books you don't want to end but can't stop reading. The characters all come alive, the suspense is just right, and misery, pain, and joy are felt by the reader.
Christa Jackson
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best spy thrillers I have read in a long time. Cleverly written, well researched, will keep you guessing till the very end.
Ian Brydon
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a marvellous book! I bought it as a bit of a punt during a post-payday book spree, largely on the basis of a very favourable review in The Times. I have been sold the dummy by those reviews before, of course, but I am glad I heeded this one.

It moves between the present day and various points during the Second World War and the years immediately following it. It opens in the present day with the grim discovery of the corpse of an elderly woman, killed in a car in the parking lot of the main
A.K. Kulshreshth
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nigel Adams
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angela Smith
This is the second book involving the female police detective Ines Picaut. She returns to work after the trauma of events in book one and is thrust into the deep end with grisly murder of a woman in her 90's. As she finds out more about the victim she is taken back to the German occupation of France and a brave group of men and women who fought against Hitler.

A lot of the book is told from war time France with the rest set in the now as Picaut and her team try to find the killer and their link
Mike Morris
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book, interweaving three timelines while maintaining a breakneck speed. As a historical novel, it's superb, as a who-done-it, it's riveting and as a thriller, it's a unputdownable page-turner. And the prose! How Manda Scott can write something so beautiful is beyond me. This book is straight up there in my top 5 books of the year. It's incredible.
Tracey
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really gripping story full of action and suspense telling the story of the maquis in World War II.
Listened to the audible version of this and the narrators really did a wonderful job of bringing it all to life. Absolutely loved it.
Maria
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a captivating and brilliant read.
Sally
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's wonderful to learn new things, and although familiar with the SOE and the Resistance in France, the codes used in this brilliant thriller are fascinating. As are the cast of characters from both wartime and present-day. A huge achievement, because not many books beckon me to continue reading, and this is my treat at the end of each busy day.
A tour de force, with betrayals a-plenty and in Ines Picaut, a real and admirable creation. Felicitations, Manda Scott!
Sharyn
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I have just finished reading one of the best WW2 spy stories I have ever read. Manda Scott has written an amazing story spanning the past and the present with consummate ease. It's a complex plot but the writing makes it flow and it's easy to follow the ins and outs, turns and counter turns, and shifts in time period. War fiction is my favourite genre and this is one of the very best I have read. With thanks to Net Galley, Transworld Publishers and the author for a free unproofed copy in exchang ...more
Kate Vane
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Orléans detective Inès Picaut is called in to investigate the murder of an elderly woman, who has been killed in the manner of traitors to the Resistance in World War Two. The murder coincides with a security conference in the city, including key US personnel, and she is under political pressure to run a speedy but low-profile investigation. However, some key figures at the conference seem to be interested in the story of the dead woman.

This is one of those books where you feel completely immers
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Quaker (Duncan McCormack #1)
  • Fair Helen
  • The Growing Season
  • The First Blast of the Trumpet (The Knox Trilogy, #1)
  • House of Glass
  • Trois mille chevaux vapeur
  • Tightrope (Marian Sutro, #2)
  • The Parentations
  • Sugar Money
  • Tin Sky (Martin Bora)
  • The Labyrinth Makers (Dr David Audley & Colonel Jack Butler #1)
  • New York Nocturne: The Return of Miss Lizzie (Miss Lizzie, #2)
  • The Sentinel (Vengeance of Memory, #1)
  • The Infernal Device (Professor Moriarty #1)
  • Where Dead Men Meet
  • The Secret Generations (Secret Families, #1)
  • Friends and Traitors (Inspector Troy, #8)
  • The Irregular (An Irregular Spy Thriller #1)
Novelist, columnist, blogger, podcaster, broadcaster and red-green activist, Manda Scott's novels have been shortlisted for an Orange Prize, nominated for an Edgar and dived into the endless iterations of TV adaptations. When she's not writing, she's studying for an MA in sustainable economics and figuring out how to save a world that may, in the end, not need saving.
Her latest novel, A Treachery

Capitaine Inés Picaut (2 books)
  • Into the Fire (Capitaine Inés Picaut, #1)