Start by marking “Dog Will Have His Day (The Three Evangelists, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dog Will Have His Day (The Three Evangelists, #2)

Dog Will Have His Day

(Les Evangélistes #2)

How do you solve a murder without a body? Keeping watch under the windows of the Paris flat belonging to a politician's nephew, ex-special investigator Louis Kehlweiler catches sight of something odd on the pavement. A tiny piece of bone. Human bone, in fact. When Kehlweiler takes his find to the nearest police station, he faces ridicule. Obsessed by the fragment, he follo ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by Random House UK (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Will Have His Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Will Have His Day

Dayna White
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, reading this new Fred Vargas the first time was like devouring a rum soaked cake; I soared through it all at once, quickly and greedily with a slight sense of being drunk. For the second time around, I plan to read it slowly, like I'm sipping soup. I will savour her entranced, wandering, galloping thinking bracketed with simple truths. "The world is full of horrors and bloodshed." "I could do with a beer." Vargas is my first choice; her books are more than entertainment. But, caution, yo ...more
Ubik 2.0
Un po’ troppo in là…

Dopo aver letto anni fa quasi tutti i romanzi della Vargas, all’inizio con un certo divertimento, avevo infine raggiunto la soglia di saturazione, anche a causa di un’evidente ripetitività della formula, accentuata dalla spiccata caratterizzazione dei personaggi.

Mi era rimasto ancora, in una zona seminascosta della libreria, questo romanzetto che ho intrapreso più per l’impegno preso con me stesso di abbattere la pila dei libri ancora “da leggere”, che per oggettivo interess
Jenny
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have never read Fred Vargas, this may be a good book to start with. The focus is all on Louis, the investigator, and he is a very interesting character. The story starts very simply, with Louis finding a bone in a Paris park, but how he solves the mystery of the bone is where the fun is. Louis is part Sherlock, part Pendergast, and part Poirot, but unique enough to warrent more books with him as the driving force. A couple of characters from The Three Evangelists are in this as well, and ...more
Natalia Pì
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
L'ho letto in un giorno e mezzo, mi è piaciuto come mi sono piaciuti praticamente quasi tutti i romanzi della Vargas che io abbia letto sinora! Adoro questa donna, creatrice di atmosfere, i suoi libri mi trasportano altrove, ogni volta che li leggo - in questo caso, da Vienna alla Bretagna.
Interessante il personaggio di Kehlweiler, è la prima volta che lo incontro e mi sta simpatico. I personaggi sono la grande forza di questa scrittrice. Amo molto come li caratterizza, con una descrizione fisic
Jannah (Cloud Child)
3.5/5

Quite entertaining, lots of quirky characters and a meandering crime. The ending got a bit too stodgy for my liking and the crime itself was a bit sleepy, the characters making up more for the plot. Nevertheless, I'll always enjoy Fred Vargas' writing.
Camille
A trop regarder les merdes, on s'attire des problèmes : c'est la leçon que tire Louis Kehlweiser des premières pages de ce livre, après qu'une crotte de chien lui ait livré son secret, un bout d'os humain digéré. Cet orteil en vacances le mènera sur les routes de l'ouest, terres de bière et de kouign amann, loin de Paris, mais toujours proches de ses collègues de culture historique et d'enquêtes policières, les évangélistes.

Deuxième tome de leur série, "Un peu plus loin sur la droite" n'est pas
Ann
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fred Vargas writes unique mysteries with one-of-a-kind characters. This book is the second in the Three Evangelists series and while I miss Inspector Adamsberg, this one is working for me. Ex-special investigator Ludwig/Louis Kehlweiler and his team keep watch from numbered benches and trees in Paris. He is an information addict. During one of his vigils he finds a human bone which leads him to a tiny Breton fishing village and a murderer. He enlists St. Mark and St. Matthew as well as Marthe an ...more
Kate Potter
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, librarians. I did choose this book by its cover. And it is a marvelous mystery. The crime in this book is far off in the distance, but Louis Keihlweiler finds the smallest of clues and the hunt is on. Full of genuine plot twists, "Dog" is a nail-biting who dunnit. I have welcomed into my world the Three Evangelists,odd men who make great protagonists. Thanks, French writer Fred Vargas.
AdiTurbo
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not your average, write-by-numbers mystery novel, but very sophisticated literary suspense which has a very unconventional structure and as usual with Vargas, a truly original idea as a premise. The characters are fantastic, so unique and human you would never forget them, especially that of Louis Kehlweiler. Kehlweiler is one-of-a-kind, a beacon of integrity, intelligence and morality. He keeps quiet in face of constant insults from all around, which only later we learn how deeply he do ...more
Katia
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abbandonati
Sinceramente, non so cosa sia successo.
Il primo capitolo di questa trilogia l'ho valutato 5 stelline.
Questo siamo quasi a pagina 100 e non ingrana.
Possiamo dire tutto quello che vogliamo su una lettura di narrativa. Può piacere, non piacere; è soggettivo.
Ma concorderemo tutti che, se c'è una cosa che deve fare un giallo, è ingranare, tenere il lettore attaccato al libro.
Pieno di digressioni. La parte gialla del romanzo sembra quasi marginale...togliamo pure il quasi. Eppure, una cosa che avev
C Valeri
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love crime fiction and haven't read Fred Vargas yet, get on it!!!
Absolutely loved this book, didn't want to put it down!
The characters are lovably quirky and real yet romantic. Plot was engrossing and original. Loved Louis Kehlweiler and of couse the Evangelists--Marc was hilarious--and enjoyed the old prostitute Marthe.
Can't wait to read the next Evangelists and the Adamsbergs I have waiting for me!
Iman Eyitayo
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adulte, policier
Encore un roman de vargas que j'adore ! c'est définitivement la seule auteur de policier que j'arrive à apprécier !
J'ai un peu moins aimé que "debout les morts" mais tout de même ça reste excellent, tout simplement ! La recette fonctionne toujours : une intrigue qui commence de façon loufoque, des personnages riches en couleur et bien développés, des répliques uniques, une belle ambiance :-)
On se retrouve à son prochain ouvrage !
Alexis
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vargas sans Adamsberg, j'étais un sceptique au départ mais avec Kelhweiler et sa bande c'est pas mal du tout finalement. Je vais me pencher sur les autres "Evangélistes".
Angela Savage
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
In Dog Will Have His Day, set in France in 1995, Fred Vargas has produced a deliciously off-beat novel that delivers on suspense while also being a pleasure to read.

Much about Dog Will Have His Day is slightly off-centre, including our first glimpse of the central character, Louis/Ludwig Kehlweiler, through the eyes of the ageing Marthe, once "the most beautiful taxi girl on the Left Bank", in a late-night cafe.

Details of Kehlweiler's backstory are scattered tantalisingly throughout the novel. W
Monica
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, why did it take 20 years for this delightful book to be translated into English, and why did I have to go to England to find a hard copy? That's just wrong. Vargas and her readers deserve better then that.

That aside, this book is even better than The Three Evangelists - the plot is more complex and the action begins in Paris but moves to a little Breton town near Quimper so there is more scene setting and local color, all brilliantly done.

Louis/Ludwig Kehlwieler, depending on his mood
Shonna Froebel
This is the second novel in the series that started with The Three Evangelists (read before I started blogging), and has just been released in English. Here the main character is Louis Kehlweiler (known to some as Ludwig). He has worked for various government ministries, most recently the Ministry of the Interior, but is not working at present. Louis has people all over France that look for information that might interest him, and send it along. He strongly believes in justice, rooting out corru ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
For those who are looking for something different in crime fiction – quirky characters and black humour abound here.

This is my first read of a Fred Vargas book – she has several series published – The Inspector Adamsberg Series and The Three Evangelists Series – Dog Will Have His Day in the second book in the second series. I had no difficulty picking up this book without reading the first – The Three Evangelists, however maybe it is the unique style of writing or maybe the translation (
Vivienne
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
While I didn't find this quite as compelling a read as The Three Evangelists, it still bore the hallmarks of Vargas' eccentric crime fiction in terms of characters and plot.

I did wonder how on earth the finding of a human toe bone in a pile of dog poop on a Paris pavement could possibly lead to a murder investigation but the dedication to detail of the lead character (not one of the three historians but a friend of the older uncle) did come through. Of course, by the time Kehlweiler realises th
Fede
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secondo libro sugli Evangelisti.
Entra a far parte del gruppo un nuovo elemento: Louis Kehlweiler (ex poliziotto, soprannominato "Il Tedesco") vecchia conoscenza del padrino di Marc.
Quest'ultimo lavora con Kehlweiler aiutandolo a catalogare diversi avvenimenti di cronaca ritagliati dai più disparati giornali.
E' da anni che Kehlweiler svolge questa attività di ritaglio e ha davvero bisogno di mettervi un po' di ordine.
Nel frattempo, intanto che Marc lavora all'archivio, lui ama passeggiare (e sopr
Gillian
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
l wanted to like this book. l loved the first Three Evangelists book and had looked forward to a new Fred Vargas translation for a while. This was disappointing though.

Again, the translation was not excellent. The earlier translations were fine but the more recent ones with a different translator are patchy. Some English words are used incorrectly and the sentence structure is on more than one occasion ungrammatical.

The story itself was less interesting and engaging than Vargas usually is. I fo
Kirsty
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book, I read it a chapter at a time at first and felt like I was struggling to keep up with all the different characters but once you are in you are hooked! I hadn't read the previous book so this will probably be why I struggled to get into it so I wouldn't hold it against it. I do however think that the book works as a stand-alone novel and still enjoyed the book despite having not read the first one.

The characters bring an amusing quality to such a dark sub
Gregoire
Décidément ! je n'ai plus de mots pour décrire mon plaisir à lire du Vargas Non seulement, je suis absolument bluffé par le style mais cette fois-ci, je n'ai pas vu venir les rebondissements de cette enquête ... Le mystère Louis s'éclaircit un peu. Marc devient de plus en plus attachant Quant à Matthieu, il semble prendre peu de place et pourtant, sans lui... (Dommage pour Lucien qui est absent de cet épisode)
Je croise les doigts pour que l'auteure revienne avec de nouvelles enquêtes pour ses "
Gardy (Elisa G)
Pur facendo parte del ciclo dei Tre Evangelisti, in pratica è un libro dedicato al Tedesco, altro investigatore della famiglia vargasiana.

Del suddetto ciclo trovo sia il più debole perché l'introduzione e le vicende del Tedesco portano via moltissimo spazio ai protagonisti putativi. Inoltre il caso ha un incipit e alcuni dettagli accattivanti (su tutto, la macchina che fornisce risposte), però al momento di tirare le fila e inchiodare il colpevole la spiegazione diventa troppo articolata e poco
Knit Spirit
Louis, ex fonctionnaire du ministère de l'intérieur, ne peut s'empêcher de voir le mal partout et c'est ce qui va le mener en Bretagne à la recherche d'une personne assassinée à qui il manque une phalange d'orteil.
Ce polar est très étrange. Les personnages sont à la fois bizarres et attachants. L'histoire aussi est très bizarre. Ça part un peu dans tous les sens. J'ai eu du mal à accrocher et au final, je ne sais pas trop quoi en penser.
En bref : bof.
Remy
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Je reste sur ma faim pour ce tome 2 de la trilogie des evangelistes. Il manque une partie des protagonistes du tome 1 et j'ai eu du mal a rentrer dans l'histoire. J'ai peut-etre manque quelque chose mais je trouve que le personnage de Kehlweiler est parachute dans l'univers des evangelistes. Pour moi il represente un ersatz d'Adamsberg, mais pas forcement reussi.
Ambermoon
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encore un excellent Vargas où l'enquête n'est pas menée par Adamsberg cette fois, mais par un boîteux pisteur en mal d'amour assisté du jeune Vandoosler. Encore un roman qui fait la part belle aux rencontres improbables et aux situations cocasses, d'où une certaine authenticité dans l'absurde.
mlle-cassis
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ennuyeux, abandonné à mi-parcours.
Barbara Valotto
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Questa autrice è davvero una bella scoperta ed ha conquistato, anche se in ritardo, una grande fan! Pronta per la lettura del prossimo giallo!!
Chris Stevens
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takes a while to get started but a great ending and journey along the way
Bev
Dog Will Have His Day (1996) by Fred Vargas is the second in her Three Evangelist books. Readers were introduced to Marc, Mathias, and Lucien, dubbed The Three Evangelists after St. Mark, St. Matthew, and St. Luke by Marc's godfather/uncle, in the book of the same name. In that story, the three historians help Armand Vandoosler (the godfather/uncle and an ex-cop) solve the mystery of a missing neighbor. This story features Marc and Mathias in supporting roles to one Louis Kehlweiler.

Louis Kehlwe
  • Chourmo
  • Summertime All the Cats Are Bored
  • La carta più alta
  • Monsieur Malaussène (Malaussène, #4)
  • Meurtres pour mémoire
  • Ragionevoli dubbi
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • Nido vuoto
  • Sezione Suicidi
  • La concessione del telefono
Fred Vargas is the pseudonym of the French historian, archaeologist and writer Frédérique Audoin-Rouzeau (often mistakenly spelled "Audouin-Rouzeau"). She is the daughter of Philippe Audoin(-Rouzeau), a surrealist writer who was close to André Breton, and the sister of the historian Stéphane Audoin-Rouzeau, a noted specialist of the First World War who inspired her the character of Lucien Devernoi ...more

Les Evangélistes (3 books)
  • The Three Evangelists (Three Evangelists, #1)
  • Sans feu ni lieu (Les Evangélistes, #3)
“Louis era sempre stato incuriosito dall'elemento liquido. Lo versi in una tazza, ed è piatto. Inclini la tazza, e il liquido si inclina ma la superficie resta piatta, sempre piatta. Anche capovolta e rigirata in tutti i sensi, l'acqua resta piatta. Il sindaco era così.” 2 likes