Start by marking “Levels of Life” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  8,979 ratings  ·  1,277 reviews
Part history, part fiction, part memoir, Levels of Life is a powerfully personal and unforgettable book, and an immediate classic on the subject of grief.

Levels of Life opens in the nineteenth century with balloonists, photographers, and Sarah Bernhardt, whose adventures lead seamlessly into an entirely personal account of the author's own great loss.

"You put together/>Levels/>
Published April 3rd 2014 by Vintage (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Levels of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Levels of Life

·  8,979 ratings  ·  1,277 reviews

Start your review of Levels of Life
Fionnuala
As I type these words, there's a huge stack of books in my sight line. The books lie horizontally rather than vertically but the spines look interesting laid flat that way. Their various colors and widths are like a graphic representation of the layers of geological strata beneath the earth's surface, a cross section of the world, as it were.

The books in the stack are the ones I selected at the beginning of January from the mountain of unread books I own, and I'm determined to reduce
Steve
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The title announces the premise: there are definite highs and lows in life and a great author (like Barnes) can lay them out metaphorically and emotionally. At the topmost level we soar, giddy with love, thrilled by the ride. At the unlucky other end, we may have lost a loved one, crashing hard in the fall, crippled by grief. Barnes probed these levels by structuring this short book into three parts:

1) “The Sin of Height” -- this is essentially an extended metaphor depicting freedom and flight
Iris P
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People experiencing lost, bereavement
Recommended to Iris P by: Bianca
Levels of Life

★★★★★ 5 Heart-rending stars!

I've frequently found that reading a story that reliably takes you where you hoped it was going all along can be wonderfully soothing. There are times when, as a reader, you crave exactly that: the comfort that a predictable story can bring. Then there are other times when you stumble upon a book that takes you in such an unexpected direction that you find yourself, not only surprised by the unique nature of what you are reading bu
Dolors
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who find love in free falling
Recommended to Dolors by: Deea
Shelves: read-in-2014
“You put together two things that have not been put together before. And the world is changed”, proclaims Julian Barnes in the first two sentences that open this atypical book, an idea that becomes the foundation and pillar of three seemingly unrelated stories that concoct Levels of Life.

Take photography and balloons as the first example.
The French photographer Nadar had a thrill for experimentation and decided to take distance from terra firma to gain a better perspective from afar. He captured the skies with the first aerostat
Gaurav
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julian Barnes

Grief is another word for love

“You put together two things that have not been put together before. And the world is changed. People may not notice at the time, but doesn’t matter. The world changed nonetheless.”

How difficult is it to write about love? And to express grief is perhaps even more onerous. We have plethora of literature written about both love and gri/>
Melanie
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Oh wow...

I need to strike while the iron is hot with this one.

Don't be fooled by the apparent anecdotal aloofness of the first two sections of this recollection of grief. They deal with balloons and height and stories of Englishmen and Frenchmen, famous and less famous. They deal with Sarah Bernhardt and Nadar and officers and life lived "on the level" (I will let you discover exactly what that means). The third section's more personal narrative could not have been writte
Paula Kalin
I was introduced to Julian Barnes with his 2011 Man Booker prize winner, The Sense of an Ending, which is a favorite of mine. After finishing an 800 page book recently, I looked for something shorter this time and chose Barnes' 128 page Levels of Life. It is unimaginable as to how the author was able to fit in so much emotion into this short mix of history and memoir.

Levels of Life is like nothing else I have ever read. Filled with his personal thoughts about the love and then grief he felt aft
Trevor
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, biography
A friend contacted me during the week and asked if I had this book. He knows I like Barnes’ writing – and so he wanted to know if I’d read the last story in this book in particular. I hadn’t. He said the other two weren’t nearly as good, but thought I might like this last one. I’ve only read the one he suggested. I went to my local library and borrowed the book – realising with a kind of shock that I hadn’t been to my local library in a years, so long that they had to reactivate my library card. ...more
Nat K
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nat by: Dawn

"Love may not lead where we think or hope, but regardless of the outcome, it should be a call to seriousness and truth."

This is such a difficult book to review coherently for so many reasons. Perhaps the disparity between the topics of the three essays threw me somewhat.

The only book I'd previously read of Julian Barnes' was "Metroland". I still have the tattered paperback on a bookshelf somewhere. I carried it around in my handbag for months, long after I'd finished reading it, I loved it tha
Agnieszka
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it

People very differently deal with own feelings after the death of their beloved ones. Denying, anger, withdrawing into oneself, despair. In fact, how many mourners so many ways to pass through bereavement and grief. Julian Barnes’ Levels of life is a strange novel. Though from the cover the subject is already known you’re nevertheless confused. Novel, written after the death of his wife, consists from three , seemingly not connected, parts. Barnes takes you for a strange trip. From the firm gr
Darwin8u
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Every love story is a potential grief story. If not at first, then later. If not for one, then for the other. Sometimes for both.
- Julian Barnes, Levels of Life

description

'Levels of Life' is hard to categorize. It is cut into three sections, three discrete chunks. Part 1: The Sin of Height is about balloons and photography. It reads like narrative nonfiction, like John McPhee at his most poetic. It focuses on the life of Félix Tournachon aka Nadar. Part 2: On the Level is about love. It is written like historical fiction.
Bruce
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book, barely 125 pages in length, was written this year by Julian Barnes, an author whom I have found to be wise and articulate in his previous works. This one contains three parts –

The Sin of Height – Barnes begins, “You put together two things that have not been put together before. And the world is changed.” Presenting manned balloon flight near its beginning in Europe in the nineteenth century, he reflects on the resulting change in perspective from which humankind be
Debbie "DJ"
Levels of life. What a fitting title for this novel, overflowing with metaphor. It reads as three different books all in one slim novel. Three different levels of emotion, as well as the physical level of height.

The first section deals with aeronautics, in the form of ballooning. It depicts the first view of our world from above and at a distance. A beautiful quote was, "Altitude reduces all things to their relative proportions, and to the truth. Cares, remorse, disgust become strang
Bianca
This was my first Julian Barnes book/audiobook, and it kills me to admit that I won't be able to write a review worthy of this historical essays collection. So, I'll just write down a few thoughts.

When I borrowed this book, I had no idea what to expect, as I didn't read the blurb, I just saw it was available, and since Barnes was on my TBR, I downloaded it.

I enjoyed this audiobook from the very beginning, as Julian Barnes' narration was music to my ears - I love his prope
·Karen·
I was going to lazily steal the pithy expression "devastating" from the blurb on the front, but that would be an insult to a writer who makes such precise use of language himself. For what exactly does devastating mean? To lay waste. And in fact Mr. Barnes does quite the opposite. He builds. He builds metaphors, he builds connections, he builds bridges. He constructs a dizzying architecture of bold, he tells stories and flies balloons and peoples his pages with extraordinary characters and there ...more
Julie Christine
The Loss of Depth, Julian Barnes's meditative essay on grief, rocked me to my core. It is the final of three "levels of life" he explores in this slim book and is, by itself, the reason for reading this book. In contrast, I felt very detached from the first two essays, which were interesting but rather chilly expositions on ballooning, obsession and Sarah Bernhardt.

But the exploration of grief. Jesus. It hurt. It's as raw and brutal as any personal essay I have read. It chills me to think there may c
Ron
Buddy read with a couple of GR friends (hey Dawn and Nat!). Usually when I rate a book lower than a friend, I end up wondering what exactly it was that I missed. But here, we agreed on the main points, what exactly bothered us, and I that this book is emotionally affecting. I mean, when you enter into the subject of intense grief, in this case the loss of a spouse, and the mourning that follows - well you'd have to be missing a heart not to be affected by the pain described. That's especially true in ...more
Chris_P
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
At first I caught myself wondering "why the hell am I reading about 19th century people flying balloons?" The answer was given to me in the last of the three parts where Barnes masterfully connects the first two with a memoir of his grief following the death of his wife. It's not a book of advice on how to manage the loss of a beloved person. Instead, Barnes shares his experience and his thoughts during that time. Thoughts which can lead to other thoughts, which can lead to even more thoughts an ...more
Amanda Patterson
How I wish Julian Barnes had written a grief memoir without the air ballooning - 'The Sin of Height' and 'On the Level' - that clogs up the first two thirds of this very short book. I almost put the book down. I'm truly grateful I didn't.
The third section, 'Loss of Depth', is the most truthful silent scream of grief, written in the most beautiful eloquent words, I've ever read. Barnes questions, examines, and thinks about grief in a way you can only understand if you know that grief is uni
Ray
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A unique book comprising three parts. The first two parts reference early pioneers in the field of ballooning, and fictionalises moments from their lives and loves. The final section is a searing description of the loss and grief occasioned by the death of Barnes wife. What ties it together is the imagery of ballooning, exhilarating yet dangerous, exciting yet unnerving, almost directionless - and the parallels to life with a significant other, seen through the lense of loss.

A powerf
Roger Brunyate
A Vertical Photograph

Photograph (cropped) by David Sanderson

Julian Barnes' memoir of grief for the death of his wife Pat Kavanagh in 2008 after a thirty-year relationship, must be one of the most moving tributes ever paid to a loved one, but also the most oblique. So let's start with something simple, a photograph. Look up Craig Brown's marvelously-titled review "Lifted by Love, Grounded by Grief" in the Daily Mail of London, mostly for the photograph that accompaniesclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Photograph
Teresa
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barnes is a Master of Metaphor. Every single element he introduces in the first section is used, nothing is wasted. I'm left marveling at the connections his mind makes. Even the story he weaves of the nonfictional Burnaby being confused by metaphor becomes a metaphor. And what else is metaphor but the connection of two things with no previous connection, a theme Barnes uses to start off each of the three sections. And how else can emotions be described, except by the use of metaphors.
Alena
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book went from a little boring, to a little confusing to absolutely engaging in the space of 137 pages. I love Julian Barnes' writing and open heart, but admittedly, I worried for the first half that I wouldn't find those qualities in Levels of Life.

What I picked up as an ode to his late wife and memoir on grief started as a brief history on European balloon aeronauts (boring) and Sarah Burnhart (confusing). Truly, it was only his elegant writing that kept me going.

T
Jill
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Writers believe in the patterns their words make, which they hope and trust add up to ideas, to stories, to truths.” But what happens when grief destroys all patterns and then goes one step further…to destroy the belief that any pattern exists? Then, Julian Barnes implies, it is up to the writer to go in search for them for his very salvation.

Levels of Life is a heartbreakingly personal meditation on the unrelenting grief of an uxorious husband – Julian Barnes himself -- upon the ra
Marc
At first, the unsuspecting reader is led by the nose by Barnes. Part 1 is an entertaining exposé about some 19th-century balloonists, each and every one of them eccentric madmen who risk their lives by wanting to shoot up themselves, and to enter the domain of God. He also focuses on the first applications of aerial photography, as an attempt to capture the "truth from above". Part 2 also takes place in the 19th century (definitely Barnes’ most beloved age), and here the author puts the relation ...more
Punya Gupta
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favourites, wehmut
"There is a German word, Sehnsucht, which has no English equivalent, it means 'the longing for something'. It has Romantic and mystical connotations. C.S. Lewis defined it as the 'inconsolable longing' in the human heart for 'we know not what'. The longing for something - or, in our case, for someone."

Julian Barnes. *sigh*

I'm at a loss of words to say how this book made me feel and all I can come up with is the cliché, I'm at a loss of words.

This is the most e
Andrew Smith
Dec 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
March 2016 Update: I did give it another go, but didn't get a lot further. I still feel as though I'm missing something, that the magic of the second half of the book has passed me by - but the reality is that I just didn't manage to drag myself through it. It was too intense and it just didn't grab me. But hey, that's reading for you.
-----------------------------------------

I've given up on this one I'm afraid. Having completed one third of the book I was still reading about t
Deea
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, best-2014
Wonderful! Brilliant! Maybe those who haven't been grief-struck will not fully understand or appreciate this book, but those who have, will identify the pain they experienced in the lines of this book (as I did). An expression of grief, the essay in the third part can be understood as a very eloquent, yet not conventional, love declaration, framed exquisitely by the meaning and history of height, "ballooning", depth and photography. I thought no other book written by Barnes will top ”Sense of an Ending”, bu ...more
Leah
An essay on grief…
In this short book, Barnes gives an intimate picture of his on-going grief over the death of his wife in 2008. It is not easy reading as it touches on aspects of grief that most of us will have faced at some time and will either still be going through or will with luck have moved on from. He starts with a contemplation of ballooning as a metaphor for love raising us to a higher level, but the bulk of the book is about how he has lived with his grief, including his musings on w
Hans
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three parts wherein the third part is a profound telling of losing a loved one to death. Pieces of the first two parts are metaphorically repeated. An impressive, moving, heartfelt reflection! Makes you think ....
Death 1 12 Dec 22, 2015 01:18PM

• Mourning Diary
  • To the River: A Journey Beneath the Surface
  • Únava materiálu
  • The Reservoir Tapes
Julian Patrick Barnes is a contemporary English writer of postmodernism in literature. He has been shortlisted three times for the Man Booker Prize--- Flaubert's Parrot (1984), England, England (1998), and Arthur & George (2005), and won the prize for The Sense of an Ending (2011). He has written crime fiction under the pseudonym Dan Kavanagh.

Following an education at the City of L
“ You put together two people who have not been put together before. Sometimes it is like that first attempt to harness a hydrogen balloon to a fire balloon: do you prefer crash and burn, or burn and crash?
But sometimes it works, and something new is made, and the world is changed. Then, at some point, sooner or later, for this reason or that, one of them is taken away. and what is taken away is greater than the sum of what was there. this may not be mathematically possible; but it is emotionally possible.”
93 likes